closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA - The World at War

PSA - The World at War

I know DVDs are a little old hat these days but I thought some may be interested in this;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8655...at%20war:1:2:1

I remember watching a couple of episodes of this at school and then obsessively searching out the others. It’s an amazing chronicle of WW2 narrated by the unmistakable Laurence Olivier.

When these arrive I’m going to sit and watch them with my kids. Good value for the whole set I think. As ever cash back available via Quidco etc.

Ian

an incredible series and for anyone who has never seen them I couldn't recommend them enough

Master
    I thought things had seriously gone downhill when I read this thread title

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

hahaha, it feels like it though

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Ha!

We watched this as a family when I was a child. The final, haunting image of a young boy in the opening credits still gives me goosebumps.

Thanks OP, I've just ordered. The sort of thing our whole family will enjoy.

It has to be one of the best TV series ever made.
    It’s permanently saved on the tv hard drive.
    Astonishingly it was the most expensive factual tv show ever made at the time
    Apparently it cost the equivalent of £11m in today’s money.

Master
    Incredible musical score too. They just don't make telly like this anymore.

Cheers for that.

Just ordered one, will pick it up tomorrow.

Master
    The definitive history of World War II as seen on TV.

scooter

The thing with The World at War is that many of the important participants from both sides are interviewed, something that couldn't happen today.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The thing with The World at War is that many of the important participants from both sides are interviewed, something that couldn't happen today.
    I wouldn't be so defeatist on that score - interviews drawn extensively from both sides were an acknowledged merit of the recent Ken Burns documentary series on Vietnam, for example.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lest we NEVER forget. This series should be part of school curricula.

Good shout Ian

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    I know DVDs are a little old hat these days but I thought some may be interested in this;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8655...at%20war:1:2:1

I remember watching a couple of episodes of this at school and then obsessively searching out the others. It’s an amazing chronicle of WW2 narrated by the unmistakable Laurence Olivier.

When these arrive I’m going to sit and watch them with my kids. Good value for the whole set I think. As ever cash back available via Quidco etc.

Ian

Master
    This is something I would be interested in but genuine question. I'm enjoying WW II in colour on Netflix, how does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I wouldn't be so defeatist on that score - interviews drawn extensively from both sides were an acknowledged merit of the recent Ken Burns documentary series on Vietnam, for example.
    I was of course referring to WWII, which is the subject of World at War.

Vietnam was an excellent series but of course of a much later period.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

I was of course referring to WWII, which is the subject of World at War.

Vietnam was an excellent series but of course of a much later period.
    Only 20 years or so...

Feels very different, I agree, but no time really.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    If you have a smart TV you can stream the whole series for free (it's on the Yesterday channel, on the UKTV app).

Craftsman
    Just an incredible piece of work, viewing a must!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I was of course referring to WWII, which is the subject of World at War. Vietnam was an excellent series but of course of a much later period.
    Ah, of course I took the original statement to mean that that sort of balanced documentary making couldn't happen today, but yes, understood.

Craftsman
    Great find 👍

I remember watching All Our Yesterday’s as a kid back in the 60’s, guessing it’s based on a similar thing

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Great find 

I remember watching All Our Yesterday’s as a kid back in the 60’s, guessing it’s based on a similar thing
    Not really.

All our yesterdays was IIRC a series when the news from 25 years ago that particular week (back in the '60's) was broadcast.

World at War is a series with every episode on a specific part of the conflict.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Master
    A brilliant and interesting series.One which can be watched over and over again, as I have on the History channel.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    This is something I would be interested in but genuine question. I'm enjoying WW II in colour on Netflix, how does it compare?
    World at War covers things in far more depth, 26 episodes, every theatre from beginning to end, complete with interviews.

It's an amazing series, one that I've watched countless times and no doubt will watch again. If you have an interest in the conflict or just in 20th century history it's a must watch.
    Last edited by kace; 3rd August 2020 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    World at War covers things in far more depth, 26 episodes, every theatre from beginning to end, complete with interviews.

It's an amazing series, one that I've watched countless times and no doubt will watch again. If you have an interest in the conflict or just in 20th century history it's a must watch.
    WAW is an amazing series - I bought the box set some years ago and it really is very in-depth, with lots of interviews from people who were there (civilians as well as soldiers).

Another great, and rather overlooked, I think, series is called Hell In The Pacific - Far shorter (I think it was a 4 parter and my DVD says running time is 200 minutes), but with the same first hand experiences from soldiers and civilians, which make you realise how barbaric the Japanese troops were - After the atom bombs, the Japanese have a tendency, looking back, to be viewed as 'victims', but their behaviour in occupation and with POWs & Internees was right up there with the Nazis.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th August 2020 at 10:13.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    WAW is an amazing series - I bought the box set some years ago and it really is very in-depth, with lots of interviews from people who were there (civilians as well as soldiers).

Another great, and rather overlooked, I think, series is called Hell In The Pacific - Far shorter (I think it was a 4 parter and my DVD says running time is 200 minutes), but with the same first hand experiences from soldiers and civilians, which make you realise how barbaric the Japanese troops were - After the atom bombs, the Japanese have a tendency, looking back, to be viewed as 'victims', but their behaviour in occupation and with POWs & Internees was right up there with the Nazis.

M
    A very good gritty series.

The stories of Japanese occupation are completely horrific.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Yes sometimes overlooked. In the 70s I worked at a car manufacturing plant when some Japanese executives were being shown around. There was suddenly a commotion and a lot of shouting as one of my co-workers had to be physically restrained. Apparently he had been a prisoner of the Japanese and just lost it. Luckily (for him) a couple of people in his area were big enough to be able to hold him back. Some things you just can’t forget I guess.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Watched the repeats of this in the mid-90s and taped every episode.

My wife bought me this box set a few years ago when DVDs were still quite new!

The series is fantastic from start to finish. Inside the Reich and Wolfpack are some of the highlights for me. One of the best TV programmes ever commissioned in my opinion and with the trend for personality historians as presenters, never likely to be bettered.

Master
    Traudl Jung, Hitler's secretary being interviewed seemed quite surreal to me.
    She typed Hitler's last testament in the bunker, and here she is, recalling the people & events that happened a quarter of a century before, amazing.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Traudl Jung, Hitler's secretary being interviewed seemed quite surreal to me.
    She typed Hitler's last testament in the bunker, and here she is, recalling the people & events that happened a quarter of a century before, amazing.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    And she gave some revealing insights into Hitler as well.

First hand testimony is always so interesting.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Master

Sounds perfect to me. I ordered a copy yesterday.

Master

I missed the Argos deal but picked up the set from Oxfam. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Journeyman
    I also missed the offer. Back up to £50 now.
    Over a month now so not really surprising.
    My Interest was piqued whilst watching it on Yesterday.
    A memorable landmark series.