closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP Argos Book

Craftsman

RIP Argos Book

Covid has brought forward another casualty, there is to be no more printed Argos book, it’s online only now!

Argos stores originally started as Green Shield Stamp stores, remember them, before the brand was renamed in 1973.

https://mol.im/a/8574053

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Got to be a good thing really. The business is still running, and now not wasting resources printing huge amounts of stuff that you can see online or in store

Ah the end of the laminated book of dreams...

https://youtu.be/ggOa9aSG-Ow

If anything it's surprising it took until 2020 to stop printing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Got to be a good thing really. The business is still running, and now not wasting resources printing huge amounts of stuff that you can see online or in store
    Can do but personally I prefer a printed catalogue to online.

Master
    My children live the catalogs at Xmas, didn’t we all circling the things we want as children lol
    I’m hardly shocked it’s a horrid waste of paper and ink every year

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can do but personally I prefer a printed catalogue to online.
    Print off the entire website, you'll be fine.

Green Shield Stamps, I remember them.

I also remember in the 80s collecting Texaco stars to put on their cards and eventually got enough for a Chris Rea CD and calculated that it had cost me £1,200 worth of petrol for a single CD.

Those Argos catalogues were bloody heavy though.

Craftsman
    As a kid in the 80’s my Argos interactions were limited to: either nicking pens or poring over the catalogue trying to decide which sub £50 watch would help me attract the laydees

Not sure if my taste has advanced since then :-)

Craftsman
    I hadn't used Argos for years, then last year they had stock of something we needed (I can't even remember what it was now).

On ordering, there was an option for same day delivery. The Argos guy delvered it around 8pm that night. Which is rather impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I imagine that there was, until now, a sufficient number of customers who did not shop online (either because of age, economics or technophobia) that it was worth printing the catalogue. That may now have reached tipping point (especially as Covid has forced many of the technophobic online).

You could never see the stuff in store, though - that was part of their business model (huge range, but very little retail space).

Worth getting a dozen of the last issue to store in the loft and put on SC in 20 years time.

Worth getting a dozen of the last issue to store in the loft and put on SC in 20 years time.
    haha with 'will consider trades for any of the current Rolex sports range'

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    haha with 'will consider trades for any of the current Rolex sports range'
    Do they still give out carrier bags to put them in? That would probably make a full set (don't think they do pens and paper slips now).

Craftsman
    Make sure you procure an Argos mini pen for each copy just so you can say ‘Full set’

Do they still give out carrier bags to put them in? That would probably make a full set (don't think they do pens and paper slips now).
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Make sure you procure an Argos mini pen for each copy just so you can say ‘Full set’
    and this is why i'm always behind the curve, i've shown a blatant disregard for the gubbings that used to come with the catalogues, casually discarding them but perhaps what i could do is put a few WTB's up for a slip and pen and make a 'full set', also i have just checked and i have mint 2017 version but page 4 is missing, so if anyone has one please do get in touch, its not the flat 4 version, more pointy which i believe from the Argos forum is pretty rare

Can I just say that the ladies underwear section of the Grattan catalogue got me through some difficult times in my early teens.

Craftsman
    Truly a sad day. When I was a kid, I used to love thing through them looking at all the toys and then trying to the most expensive item in there thinking who in their right minds would spend over £1k on jewellery!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Argos book was the original Amazon, in that every birthday and Christmas wish list as a kid was a list of product codes and page numbers from the Argos book handed around to the family.

I remember buying a moonphase Accurist from Argos after seeing it in the catalogue. Unfortunately the stickers were removed and the warranty card was held back for 12 months. A full set Mark 1 dial.

A few years ago I cannot remember what I purchased from Argos but whatever it was, I was lacking patience and was in no mood for their collection bingo. I left and returned a couple of hours later.

I was told off at the counter and asked not to do it again!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Can I just say that the ladies underwear section of the Grattan catalogue got me through some difficult times in my early teens.
    And Freemans.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    And Freemans.
    Phew, I thought I was alone ....

As a kid I used to drool over the watches bits of the various mail order catalogues my Mum had at home and was desperate for one with a "rotating bezel". What a cool thing to have. Needless to say, I now have a few and am glad for that to have been satisfied.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Is that an admission that you wore ladies underwear in your teens.

"Arnold Layne, don't do it again" ...

I’ll see your Grattan and Freemans and raise you a Marshall Ward, particularly the shower curtains section!

Kays catalogue for me

Pictures of ladies ranging from young to matronly wearing various items of underwear and corsets, shotguns delivered to your door and an excellent toy section in the winter edition

It made me the man I am today

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    It made him the woman he is today?

Genuinely saddened by this, I know we’ve got the internet but this was a staple of every Christmas and birthday for me growing up!
    However, I tried in vain to order items from Argos during and since the lockdown - their app and website are absolutely useless imho, either showing everything out of stock, or in stock, then when I try to order it just fails to respond or tells me it’s now magically out of stock, or they can’t deliver to my area. Utterly useless. And my local stores have failed to reopen since lockdown - my simple solution is to use Amazon instead, I live in a rural area so it’s my only option really. Of course, Amazon is cheaper, the app is faultless, and everything Is delivered next day. I wonder whether their catalogue is the only thing that will disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just like my dear Papa?

Craftsman
    I was listening to Jeremy Whine yesterday with a section about this, some people phoning in 'absolutely devastated' over the loss of the physical catalouge with 'no thought' given to those without internet. What about those still using the telegraph, was any thought given to them!? Had a right proper chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    I was listening to Jeremy Whine yesterday with a section about this, some people phoning in 'absolutely devastated' over the loss of the physical catalouge with 'no thought' given to those without internet. What about those still using the telegraph, was any thought given to them!? Had a right proper chuckle.
    That Mitchell & Webb Look - Bronze Orientation

Journeyman
    I once ordered some weghts from Argos many years ago.
    After watching the sales assistant struggling to move them from the conveyor at the back onto the counter top I asked her if she was going to put them in a bag for me.
    If looks could kill .........