closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PP Aquanaut on black strap.

Craftsman

PP Aquanaut on black strap.

Been looking at one of these on the PP website and it’s hitting the spot for me at the moment.

I’d be looking to buy a new one , can any of you enlighten me to what the craic is with the supply of these before I go into the local dealer so I don’t make a fool of myself.

Cheers in advance.

Craftsman
    Get ready for the jokes about selling your kidney and your first born to the devil etc etc for this watch..

On a more serious note, I'm on the list for the 5167A and even with buying history of watches from other brands and jewellery from the same AD, I'm still a few years away from getting one!
    Last time I spoke to them, they told me that I would need to have a spending history within the 6 figures to get the watch quickly or buy other PP watches like a 5196J to start the journey into the brand before I get allocated a 5167A at some point.

I'm just waiting it out with the AD, not playing "games" and will buy items as and when we like and not just to move up the list. It'll actually be cheaper to buy grey and pay above RRP if you want it quickly without any hassle

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Last time I spoke to them, they told me that I would need to have a spending history within the 6 figures to get the watch quickly or buy other PP watches like a 5196J to start the journey into the brand before I get allocated a 5167A at some point.
    They sound like a awful AD to deal with making the above statement, It just shows them for what they are, happy to source a watch quickly should you spend huge sums of money.

I personally would have no further dealing with them at all.

Blog Entries
    Pointless asking at an AD for one of these

ps - craic : had to google that one.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 29th July 2020 at 09:03.

As Groucho Marx once said, 'I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member'. Especially if you have to pay through the nose for a bunch of other stuff you don't necessarily want in the first place to get into said club.
    "A man of little significance"

Sadly the Aquanaut is a member of the Unicorn Club at list price. I'm sure Watchfinder would be happy to let you have one today at double or triple list price.

I've been on a list for 3 or 4 years...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure a lot of these lists (a) Don't actually exist (b) You name never gets put on unless they like you - they've just said it it's there to get rid of you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Pointless asking at an AD for one of these

ps - craic : had to google that one.
    You've never heard of the craic being 90????

Master
    I went on a list for a 5711, and after a while, forgot about it. But one day,out of the blue, the jeweller rang and offered me a 5711. Which I bought. The key seemed to be that I was local....that was important to them. Still get the Patek magazine to this day.
    I waited three years. Only time I’ve ever been lucky...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Not watched enough of Jim McDonald on Corrie St.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd go in expecting a wait of at least 3-5 years, if they even add you to "the list".

Ironically I bought my 5167 new at list from AD last year, but I never wear it (just too light) - but I can't sell it for a while. Thinking I'll either trade up for the 5164 or buy that outright and sell the 5167 later.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    They sound like a awful AD to deal with making the above statement, It just shows them for what they are, happy to source a watch quickly should you spend huge sums of money.

I personally would have no further dealing with them at all.
    I actually preferred the upfront honesty. Though it was a brutal truth to accept. Knowing some local watch collectors I’m not in a grain of sand compared to their purchase history.

Though I won’t be jumping through any hoops for it

Craftsman
    The replies confirm would have made a fool of myself with my lack of knowledge.

I’ll go in and have a chat with them and see what they say , I’m known to the local dealer but not for PP purchases obviously.

Thanks for the replies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    tumbleweed
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 29th July 2020 at 20:11.

Craftsman
    sound of tumbleweeds

Surprised you can them at that age....

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've been on a list for 3 or 4 years...
    How times change!

I asked about one in July 2016 and was offered one 6 weeks later. WOS Regent Street. No buying history from that store.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    How times change!

I asked about one in July 2016 and was offered one 6 weeks later. WOS Regent Street. No buying history from that store.
    I was due to get it this year but the branch I was on the list at gave up their status to double down on a different brand. They arranged for me to go on the list at one of their other branches in London but the timescales are different - I'm not next in line there unfortunately.

Craftsman
    I got offered one from an AD I had zero history with 2 years ago. Only waited 6 months. Had zero cash at the time so passed! Idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Surprised you can them at that age....
    The aquanaut is a bit boring tbh. I had one for a bit but sold it.

Journeyman
    The 5146 is one of my favs, I have no idea why it sells for siginifacntly below retail on the grey market

Master
    The aquanaut is a bit boring tbh. I had one for a bit but sold it.

But more interesting than a Rolex Submariner, no?

Craftsman
    Spoke to the manager who I’ve known for years the other day about my wife’s diamond ring that was in for repair, I brought up that I’d like to try one on to see if I like it enough to buy one.

He didn’t have one in stock surprisingly enough, but a sensible conversation ensued where I’ve been asked to come to a private viewing on the basis that if I do like it , he’d put my name down and we’ll see what happens in the next couple of years.

Honest and professional as I’d expected, unlike the comical situation with the Rolex AD in the same town.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I'm with Martyn - had one for a bit but it has little depth of character. The movement is quite old & for me at that price I would expect the movement to be able to hack. I traded it for a new Breguet Marine which is a better watch in almost every way & cash in pocket. I can live with no hack at this price difference

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 3rd September 2020 at 22:55.

😂 I like mine. Granted it’s not the most exciting watch and I would never pay over retail for one but there is something I really enjoy about it.

Spoke to the manager who I’ve known for years the other day about my wife’s diamond ring that was in for repair, I brought up that I’d like to try one on to see if I like it enough to buy one.

He didn’t have one in stock surprisingly enough, but a sensible conversation ensued where I’ve been asked to come to a private viewing on the basis that if I do like it , he’d put my name down and we’ll see what happens in the next couple of years.

Honest and professional as I’d expected, unlike the comical situation with the Rolex AD in the same town.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.
    Great outcome by the sounds of it. Hopefully you'll get to see one in the flesh before too long! I get nervous just being in those places, I'm sure they can tell I can't afford it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been looking at one of these on the PP website and it’s hitting the spot for me at the moment.

I’d be looking to buy a new one , can any of you enlighten me to what the craic is with the supply of these before I go into the local dealer so I don’t make a fool of myself.

Cheers in advance.
    The best advice I could give is put a WTB on this site. Someone will sell you one for what WF are prepared to pay

So you pay a premium over list but you know your buying price is similar to WF buying price, thus hedging your outlay.

But be aware they are not the most exciting watch you will ever wear.

Just my 10 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I get nervous just being in those places, I'm sure they can tell I can't afford it
    Really, does it really what a sales assistant thinks. At the end of the day they are there to provide a service not make judgement on what a prospective purchaser can or cannot afford!

PP Aquanaut on black strap.

Really, does it really what a sales assistant thinks. At the end of the day they are there to provide a service not make judgement on what a prospective purchaser can or cannot afford!
    Really? If I had the option of a customer who had deep pockets / no need (less likely) to sell it on / regular purchaser / enthusiast and one who was not, I’’d be opting for the former.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Really? If I had the option of a customer who had deep pockets / no need (less likely) to sell it on / regular purchaser / enthusiast and one who was not, I’’d be opting for the former.
    So you get nervous walking into a store as the SA may feel your cannot afford to be there. My point is who are they to make that judgement and know your financial situation?

I think a lot of being allocated or offered something is down to confidence.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 5th September 2020 at 06:55.

I think a lot of being allocated or offered something is down to confidence.
    I agree. I've been offered some watches which on paper I shouldn't. I have an ok spend but I think a chunk of the reason for them being offered is trust.

Ironically I bought my 5167 new at list from AD last year, but I never wear it (just too light) - but I can't sell it for a while. Thinking I'll either trade up for the 5164 or buy that outright and sell the 5167 later.
    Whats the reason why you cant sell it? your own personal reason or dealer/Patek watching over you?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Whats the reason why you cant sell it? your own personal reason or dealer/Patek watching over you?
    For that one, the form I signed to say I wouldn't sell it for 3 years. But, I could trade it up for the 5164, which I may do. You could say they have you over a barrel, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I don't need the money, I'd rather invest in some watches than earn zilch in interest, and normally I do wear them regularly and enjoy them (this being the first I now just keep in the safe).

For that one, the form I signed to say I wouldn't sell it for 3 years. But, I could trade it up for the 5164, which I may do. You could say they have you over a barrel, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I don't need the money, I'd rather invest in some watches than earn zilch in interest, and normally I do wear them regularly and enjoy them (this being the first I now just keep in the safe).
    Seems a bit demanding of a company making you sign to say you will not sell it for 3 years, fair enough it doesn't bother you but what would the ramifications be if you did sell it on?

Seems a bit demanding of a company making you sign to say you will not sell it for 3 years, fair enough it doesn't bother you but what would the ramifications be if you did sell it on?
    I'm assuming you wouldn't be buying another hard-to-get watch from them. I see it as give and take - and they don't want to risk their significant investment in the brand.

Never getting another watch ever. At least not a desirable one behind a waitlist. They're selling you an item with a market value of 30k for 15k and will get spanked by the brand if it ends up on WF. Similar thing happened to Ryan when he sold danpd a CHNR and the warranty card was in full view on eBay a few weeks later.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, and ironically at RRP I could afford it and would jump at an Aquanaut. But let's be honest, that's not what they want to sell me, they want to sell me a solid gold dress watch which is no doubt lovely but costs twice the price and I'd probably find occasion to wear it twice a year. It's never nice to be in a situation where you're made to feel like you don't belong, it's uncomfortable and not enjoyable.

I was in Harrods about a month ago and visited the VC, AP, Rolex, JLC and Lange boutiques/ADs in there (+ Grand Seiko boutique which is just up the road). Rolex was jammed, others were all pretty empty.

1. VC experience was great. Had a sit down with the chap in store who took an Oversees 4500v out for me to see, showed all the features, all the straps that come with it etc. Took my details, told me I'd get info about upcoming events, gave me a lovely brochure etc. I've exchanged several emails with him since and may go for it in the mid-term.
    2. AP was empty yet I was barely acknowledged. Someone sort of grunted in my direction then watched me as I looked around the store. Classic example of me probably not looking like their typical clientele (bit young / not dressed up) so no move to engage. Uncomfortable, left in minutes.
    3. Rolex was jammed (this was weeks before the new launch), so I can't fault them as they were simply busy and every sales person was talking to someone and I didn't wait around long enough to get service. Suits me as the shelves had the usual suspects but nothing I was in the market for. They had a white gold blue Sub on display that was nice to nose at, but I'm not in the market for a gold Sub. Had they been quiet I might have asked for a look out of interest.
    4. JLC surprised me. One staff member, friendly but quickly established they didn't have much of a clue about the watches. Of all the brands, this is the one I'd almost expect the nerdy watch geek to work at.
    5. Lange was a similar experience to AP. Felt very uncomfortable, like I was an inconvenience. Again I suspect I didn't fit the demographic and the sales person couldn't be bothered.
    6. Grand Seiko was positive, knowledgeable and friendly folk. Was actually the reason for my visit as I had spoken to them in advance about getting a watch adjusted. I enjoyed that they had examples of each of their uncased movements (9F quartz, spring drive and mechanical) out on display.

I kind of wish more in-demand brands did this to counter the flippers. Hell, I'm in favour of putting a financial penalty on it if it was enforceable and led to more people actually getting watches they want at RRP.
    Last edited by M1011; 6th September 2020 at 15:47.

Craftsman

Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    The best advice I could give is put a WTB on this site. Someone will sell you one for what WF are prepared to pay

So you pay a premium over list but you know your buying price is similar to WF buying price, thus hedging your outlay.

But be aware they are not the most exciting watch you will ever wear.

Just my 10 cents.

“ But be aware they are not the most exciting watch you will ever wear.”

It is sometimes quite difficult to see what you are really paying the money for on what are now called the “Unicorn” Patek’s of the Aquanaut and the simple three hand Nautilus. Once you take the hype excitement out and just sit with watch on wrist it can be some what underwhelming when compared to so many other great watches out there in the market but for a fraction of the cost.

The Aquanaut was one of my supposed dream acquisitions a number of years ago, as I really enjoyed the subdued design from one of Watch makings great houses. Sat down with the salesperson, put it on the wrist and even back 10 years ago, did not feel it was getting the quality the price point was demanding so moved on to a Zenith Daytona instead, now that did bring a smile!

Master
    Yes, be careful. I bought a Nautilus and was totally under-whelmed. There’s a lot of hype with these models, to me anyway. I, disgracefully, prefer a good Rolex.

Blog Entries
    I was in Harrods about a month ago and visited the VC, AP, Rolex, JLC and Lange boutiques/ADs in there (+ Grand Seiko boutique which is just up the road). Rolex was jammed, others were all pretty empty.

1. Rolex was jammed (this was weeks before the new launch), so I can't fault them as they were simply busy and every sales person was talking to someone and I didn't wait around long enough to get service. Suits me as the shelves had the usual suspects but nothing I was in the market for. They had a white gold blue Sub on display that was nice to nose at, but I'm not in the market for a gold Sub. Had they been quiet I might have asked for a look out of interest.

Did Harrods enforce social distancing and wearing of masks in shops - did you notice people just ignoring the rules? When you say Rikex was 'jammed' how close were people to each other? I'm asking as I will be going to London this week and may do a bit of window shopping, but if its going to be 'rammed' I won't.

(Sorry for going off topic)

I was in there a few weeks back and there weren’t a great deal of people there, the same goes for most shops in central London. I wouldn’t worry about going to Harrods for a browse, the only areas with any kind of crowd were Chanel and Louis Vuitton. The watch areas were pretty empty as usual.

Did Harrods enforce social distancing and wearing of masks in shops - did you notice people just ignoring the rules? When you say Rikex was 'jammed' how close were people to each other? I'm asking as I will be going to London this week and may do a bit of window shopping, but if its going to be 'rammed' I won't.

(Sorry for going off topic)
    Yes masks were worn by everyone. There were no minimum distances in place, although that's the same in most places now from what I've observed. Rolex was busy compared to all the others, not as in wall to wall though. There were perhaps 4/5 sales people and all were engaged with other customers browsing.

I don't know what's happened to sports Patek's the past few years. Prices have gone nuts. I've owned most of them(including 3 Aquanauts) looking for the magic and never quite found it. Lost money on all of them as well despite buying below list. Only regret selling them for financial reasons.

The Aquanaut is nice enough, but not great, and for the money I'd like hacking seconds and a strap that can be adjusted. Doesn't seem too much to ask.

Craftsman
    Yes masks were worn by everyone. There were no minimum distances in place, although that's the same in most places now from what I've observed. Rolex was busy compared to all the others, not as in wall to wall though. There were perhaps 4/5 sales people and all were engaged with other customers browsing.
    Harrods do not enforce mask wearing. I’ve seen plenty of people walking around without masks in there and nobody cares once you’re in.

Just wanted to let you know in case you’re high risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I don't know what's happened to sports Patek's the past few years. Prices have gone nuts. I've owned most of them(including 3 Aquanauts) looking for the magic and never quite found it. Lost money on all of them as well despite buying below list. Only regret selling them for financial reasons.

The Aquanaut is nice enough, but not great, and for the money I'd like hacking seconds and a strap that can be adjusted. Doesn't seem too much to ask.
    Why continue to buy them when there was no magic and you were losing money? I never understand the bitterness people have for a brand - we have free will, it's a free market, and there are hundreds of brands out there. [FWIW, I own the 5711 and 5167 - love the 5711 (although I agree on the hacking seconds), but will sell the 5167 when the time comes, and not at a loss.]

This is Pragnells

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Get ready for the jokes about selling your kidney and your first born to the devil etc etc for this watch..

On a more serious note, I'm on the list for the 5167A and even with buying history of watches from other brands and jewellery from the same AD, I'm still a few years away from getting one!

I'm just waiting it out with the AD, not playing "games" and will buy items as and when we like and not just to move up the list. It'll actually be cheaper to buy grey and pay above RRP if you want it quickly without any hassle

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    This is Pragnells
    Nope it actually isn’t :) - though I am a customer of theirs

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Harrods do not enforce mask wearing. I’ve seen plenty of people walking around without masks in there and nobody cares once you’re in.

Just wanted to let you know in case you’re high risk.
    Can only speak for what I saw and I only visited the watches section, can't recall seeing anyone not wearing one. But as with everywhere, not much they can do once you're in I guess.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Today for a laugh I asked the usual guy at the PP salon in London if any change and possibility of getting on a waiting list for a 5164.

Unsurprisingly he told me to sod off politely lol

I think the only way I am going to get one is by flipping my 5167 for grey prices and then buying 5164 from a grey. No idea what the difference would be

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I think the only way I am going to get one is by flipping my 5167 for grey prices and then buying 5164 from a grey. No idea what the difference would be
    In the region of £15k I'd expect (i.e. a little more than the £12k RRP variance).

I thought from an earlier post you were quite confident of picking up a 5164 this year or next (accepting Covid might delay things somewhat)? I'm hoping next year for mine.