closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Omega Astronaut Sailor Space Sailing watch

New Omega Astronaut Sailor Space Sailing watch

a new version of the Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon, which features design cues intended to reflect the high-tech world of modern competitive yachting, and which also has a little surprise under the hood.

Cosmetically, this is pretty much squarely in the mainstream of Dark Side Of The Moon design, with the signature ceramic bezel and 44.5mm case, along with a tachymeter scale calibrated in miles per hour. Although the watch is not specifically a countdown regatta timer, the minutes totalizer has been customized with a highlighted five-minute arc.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...hi-introducing

On the one hand I like the colour scheme but on the other - can Omega's marketing get any more confused? It's a Space themed watch with a sailing variant that is not actually designed for the purpose. When is the collaboration with the murray mint because that is the only version left at this point...

Master
    There used to be a version of the old sword hands Seamaster with a specific dial for yacht racing / timing etc. I think it had a white dial & red timing scale?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    There used to be a version of the old sword hands Seamaster with a specific dial for yacht racing / timing etc. I think it had a white dial & red timing scale?

Few different ones over time:

https://watch-insider.com/reportages...-watches-2000/

What a load of rubbish. They don’t even understand what they are writing, the sad clowns!
    A tachymeter scale is in anything you want per hour, be it kilometres, miles or indeed nautical miles (knots).

Idiots!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It's just cheap and easy to churn these off the same production line. Change a colour here and there and you turn a DSOM into another "limited edition". Very cost effective way of adding a new variant to the catalogue and effectively shift DSOMs to a corner of the market that feels more connected with yachting.

Hideous.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Problem I have is it is advertised as a 50m WR yacht-watch.

One blow-over and splash and its a 10k watch in the spin dryer

When I saw the thread title, I was hoping for something more along these lines -

Than a literal boatload of Duran Duran wannabes...

Master
    Dark Side Of The Boom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guycord View Post
    Problem I have is it is advertised as a 50m WR yacht-watch.

One blow-over and splash and its a 10k watch in the spin dryer
    I think the X-33 regatta is rated at 30m wrt - same purpose - but perhaps more suited to it that the above

https://www.omegawatches.com/media/p...1001-en-gb.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Dark Side Of The Boom

Some guys wore Speedmasters in the Sea of Tranquillity so umm.. that makes it a sailing watch, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's just cheap and easy to churn these off the same production line. Change a colour here and there and you turn a DSOM into another "limited edition". Very cost effective way of adding a new variant to the catalogue and effectively shift DSOMs to a corner of the market that feels more connected with yachting.
    Does that include changing the movement (c1865) and the case (a height reduction of over 2 mm)?

I love the look of the caseback and the dial...not so much.

As for it being a 'yachting' Speedmaster perhaps Omega have too much invested in ETNZ to bring out another yachting Seamaster.

Yeah that's ghastly
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

It’s fine, relax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm looking forward to the Deepsea Speedmaster with helium escape valve, and waterproof to 59 metres...

But people keep on buying them
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Not sure whether to simply laugh or cry.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

God that is so ugly. And what is that spinning disc all about? Ring-a-ring-o'-roses...
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Deepsea Speedmaster with helium escape valve, and waterproof to 59 metres...
    Steady on. 59? It's as if we have become... Gods.

I do like an Omega, but this is misconceived and ghastly. With ever more bizarre LEs, are Omega trying to become the Bremont of Bienne?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    When is the collaboration with the murray mint because that is the only version left at this point...
    Omega contacted me last week. The bezel will be recalibrated as an aid not to hurry your mint because they are just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What a load of rubbish. They don’t even understand what they are writing, the sad clowns!
    A tachymeter scale is in anything you want per hour, be it kilometres, miles or indeed nautical miles (knots).

Idiots!
    SJ, stop sitting on the fence. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    The Bremont of Bienne
    I think that's an old Hammer film.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    SJ, stop sitting on the fence. :-)

They only have one job...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I think that's an old Hammer film.
    Starring Peter Cushing as Giles and Christopher Lee as Nick?

The ENTZ Seamaster is currently £4295 at Preston & Duckworth for people into such things.

Journeyman
    Looks like a smart watch face!

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Starring Peter Cushing as Giles and Christopher Lee as Nick?
    Would be quite tempted to see that in the cinema.

Blog Entries
    I think it's all too 'crowed' on the dial. The background, the logo etc. Besides, no regatta sailor will ever wear this. 100% of the sailors wear this: Optimum Time Series 3. Visual and audible signs when to start.

Or better he/she doesn't wear it on the wrist: it's strapped to the mast. "... cause you don't want to look down the last few seconds before the start!" The elastic strap fits around the mast perfectly and the (yellow) hockey-puck shaped watch can be turned 360 degrees within the grey ring. You can always adjust the case in relation to the strap for maximum readability.
    When a 'big-name' watch manufacturer would come up with a classy watch with all the features of this one, it would be an instant success: coaches, supporters etc. All would fork out a hefty sum for a well-known brand with proper starting capabilities. I would buy one!

The 5-min marks are all-important. Signs (flags) are up at 5 min. Then the countdown starts. Sailors synchronize their watches. When you've missed the 5 min sign, there's always a 4 and a 1 min sign. In the last minute, boats aren't allowed across the starting line defending their position. 10 seconds before the start, the countdown signal ("beep beep") starts. Imagine, all watches make noises, sails flapping, shouting from the boats chasing the fellow-competitors away, sometimes even slapping another boat's hull with the end of a joy-stick... Jury boats at high speed criss-crossing behind the line-up to warn foul play (like using the rudder to get into a favourable spot...). They use flags and referee whistles. And when there's a lot of wind, it gets 'choppy' as well. It has 'havoc' written all over. Some boats need a run-up to the starting line, trying to get to max speed without crossing the line too early. That makes it even more important that you can hear the watch counting down.

Those starting watches play an important role. Not those watches with a fancy sub-dial and a 'noisy' background...

M
    Last edited by thieuster; 29th July 2020 at 14:06.

^That would look good under a shirt cuff.

Restrained and sophisticated.

Blog Entries
    I think it's all too 'crowed' on the dial. The background, the logo etc. Besides, no regatta sailor will ever wear this. 100% of the sailors wear this: Optimum Time Series 3. Visual and audible signs when to start.

Or better he/she doesn't wear it on the wrist: it's strapped to the mast. "... cause you don't want to look down the last few seconds before the start!"

When a 'big-name' watch manufacturer would come up with a classy watch with all the features of this one, it would be an instant success: coaches, supporters etc. All would fork out a hefty sum for a well-known brand with proper starting capabilities.

The 5-min marks are all-important. Signs (flags) are up at 5 min. Then the countdown starts. Sailors synchronize their watches. When you've missed the 5 min sign, there's always a 4 and a 1 min sign. In the last minute, boats aren't allowed across the starting line defending their position. 10 seconds before the start, the countdown starts. All watches make noises, sails flapping, shouting from the boats chasing the competitors away, jury boats at high speed criss-crossing behind the line-up to warn foul play (like using the rudder to get into a favourable spot... Some boats need a run-up to the starting line, trying to get to max speed without crossing the line too early.

Those starting watches play an important role. Not those fancy sub-dial'd watches with a noisy background...

M
    Last edited by thieuster; 29th July 2020 at 19:01.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Those starting watches play an important role. Not those fancy sub-dial'd watches with a noisy background...

M
    You're correct in all you say, but the Omega's not for starting a yacht race, it's for posing in the bar afterwards, lounging around the yacht club in Monaco, counting the takings after offloading the latest bilge-full of gak... &c ad naus...

Omega swiftly becoming the 'Franklin Mint' of watches...