closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowballers, offers etc when buying or selling.

Lowballers, offers etc when buying or selling.

When reading the SC it seems like there are a few different views on offers whether they be minor or low ball.

Over the years I have bought and sold many items and not just watches at fairs, auctions, ebay, forums etc etc

On many occasion I have made what I consider a fair offer, on occasion I have low balled and like a couple of days ago I bought a pretty high ticket item and paid the sellers asking price without a quibble as I considered it a fair price for both of us even if not cheap, I think most of the time we have to be realistic and also remember seldom is it a life or death decision what you pay.

You win some, you lose some and break even which imo is all part of the fun.

Master
    I generally don’t have a problem with low offers as I will politely decline. Where it becomes an issue is if you are offered a trade that is miles apart from the valuation on the watch you are listing.

There will often be a bit of a gap between valuations on trades, and this is just down to the perceived valuations of the watches in question (and I am as guilty of this as the next person). However, last week I was offered a watch that was bought from eBay the previous month for £500, in trade for a watch that I listed on SC at about two and a half grand.

The proposal was a straight swap, and the guy was doing his best to convince me that valuation was subjective and between us we could agree the values etc etc etc. Frankly though, I felt like I was being taken for a ride

Likely better taking this to the Bear Pit... So the mud-slinging, character assassinations and general bp cheeriness can contribute unabated lol!

I've no problem with negotiations and offers and certainly believe it wrong for people on here or elsewhere to then use those details to serve their vendettas etc.

I have made offers below the asking price on here and do it as a matter of routine on the likes of e-bay and equally it is something I willingly accept when selling. It can help identify a genuine interest and with a bit of negotiation lead to a deal.

I don't recognise the term lowball at all, an offer is an offer and if it is not acceptable then I simply wouldn't accept it. I wouldn't get upset because a potential buyer might say that's what they think it is worth or that's how much money they have.

Live and let live and decent manners costs nothing.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 27th July 2020 at 18:35.

Blog Entries
    I think you can offer what you want. The seller may ignore your offer or may go into a bargaining position - depends on the seller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll offer what I think it's worth to me, but if the item is massively overpriced I won't bother as we're unlikely to meet an agreed figure. It really is that simple.

Had a few low offers on items I've sold, consider, counter or politely decline.

If the offer is taking the piss, politely decline with no counter offer. If they persist and are obviously "at it", mute them.

Master
    If it’s too low I just don’t reply. Easier that way I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind offers unless I've clearly stated in my listing that the price is FIRM. This is usually because I already think the price is more than fair. I still get offers and then more pms because I ignore them! I also don't like people quoting their Breitling RRPs when trading. They are completely irrelevant. The market will always dictate the value of anything.

Master
    At the risk of jinxing it, I don't recall being low-balled for an item I have sold on here. I have had offers below what I am willing to accept but not low enough that I wouldn't counter or reply to them.

When purchasing, I will often make an offer depending on how much I would like the item and the asking price. I don't think that these would be considered low-balling and indeed in the majority of cases I will receive a counter offer from the seller. If I consider an item is priced significantly more than what it is worth to me then I won't take the time to make any sort of offer which avoids any negative perception from the seller I hope.

Ebay and Chrono24 on the other hand are a totally different proposition! I had an offer 40% below the asking price for a Chrono24 listing over the weekend for a reasonably priced item (if not a bargain) and on Ebay, regularly receive offers which are between 15 and 30% of the sale price (not OFF the sale price!) which I automatically decline.

I’ll make an offer of what I think something is worth and I’ll not get upset if someone offers me less than I’m asking ;although I’ve not sold anything here for ages).

If a deal can be made then great, if not then ok.

I’ve not had anyone trying to convince me that my price is way too high but then I’d take no notice anyway. I’d certainly not be offended, I would just refuse to engage.

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    If it’s too low I just don’t reply. Easier that way I think.
    Yeah, me too. I've only been lowballed once on here, someone telling me it was a present for their nephew's special birthday but they didn't have much money so what were my bank details.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I’m pretty sure I’ve never made an offer on anything. Just paid what was asked. If it’s fair I’ll buy it, if not I won’t. A few times the item has been reduced by the seller.

I’ve had lower offers though although most have offered full price as I think I price very fairly. Maybe going forward if I like something but think it’s overpriced I’ll make an offer that’s fair and not taking the Michael.

Funny though as you do see stuff that seems quite overpriced and the seller just can’t see it, even when they ask for advice on price on the post itself, then go on to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Yeah, me too. I've only been lowballed once on here, someone telling me it was a present for their nephew's special birthday but they didn't have much money so what were my bank details.
    Can guess that one!

I messaged someone who said they may trade for a steinhart vintage GMT, i asked if they would be interested in a the non vintage GMT steinhart vesrion.

Totally ignored lol, i think buyers and sellers can both be rude about stuff.

On here I would not (I have bought maybe three things in six years??) - on ebay, for common items, I lowball every day of the week.

Grand Master
    I don’t often sell watches, but when I do I price them fairly and I don’t want to move far on price.

What’s annoying is the ‘ buyer’ who only want the watch if he can have it at significantly below what its worth, they don't want the watch they want a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Think I had the same lowballer lowball me back in 2016 when I sold my 5 month old Sub, similar story if I remember correctly. Up for £5K plus, offered me £4K.

If I’m interested in a watch I tend to say what will you take, if the seller won’t give an answer and reply’s with make me an offer, that’s usually the ends of the conversation, I’m not going to risk upsetting them by giving what they consider a low ball. Maybe it’s cutting my nose off etc

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I generally don’t have a problem with low offers as I will politely decline. Where it becomes an issue is if you are offered a trade that is miles apart from the valuation on the watch you are listing.

There will often be a bit of a gap between valuations on trades, and this is just down to the perceived valuations of the watches in question (and I am as guilty of this as the next person). However, last week I was offered a watch that was bought from eBay the previous month for £500, in trade for a watch that I listed on SC at about two and a half grand.

The proposal was a straight swap, and the guy was doing his best to convince me that valuation was subjective and between us we could agree the values etc etc etc. Frankly though, I felt like I was being taken for a ride
    Surely this is H&V worthy? In what universe is that considered acceptable?

As long as it's done politely then I have no issue with lowball offers, and it's not difficult to respond with a similar courteous refusal.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    As long as it's done politely then I have no issue with lowball offers, and it's not difficult to respond with a similar courteous refusal.

I entirely agree. I am always happy to receive any offer, and always thank the member for it.

Nobody is under any obligation to agree to anything!
    So clever my foot fell off.

I have no problem with people making offers.

What I do have a problem with is attempted emotional blackmail and having my intelligence insulted by sob stories along the lines of it being a grail/dream watch but not having enough money due to having to pay a vets bill etc. Have people no shame?

Blog Entries
    This
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Usually a tactic by the same folk who are known for making a quick buck.

It’s a good way to get a feel for another member’s character at least.

(IMO of course)

Totally agree with this.

I remember being told that when buying a house, if you're not embarrassed when placing your first offer then you have offered too much!

Master
    Everything is negotiable, so no need to take offence if some pleb offers a stupid price. However the pleb has to take it on the chin if you tell him that in your experience people who lowball are usually cheap little scrubbers who are too skint to match the asking price and you have no wish to deal with their sort. Then very slowly put the phone down on them. That tends to make you feel good so you have turned a negative into a positive.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Everything is negotiable, so no need to take offence if some pleb offers a stupid price. However the pleb has to take it on the chin if you tell him that in your experience people who lowball are usually cheap little scrubbers who are too skint to match the asking price and you have no wish to deal with their sort. Then very slowly put the phone down on them. That tends to make you feel good so you have turned a negative into a positive.
    So basically act like a dick then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    So basically act like a dick then?
    No basically just giving a pleb the one fingered salute in a terribly polite way. Fortunately I have never been in a position where I am desperate enough to be compelled to accept a low price. I don't blame them for trying it on but they can't blame me for making it obvious that I would like to see them play a game of marbles in the middle of a fast moving motorway.

Master
    Like others here, sometimes I’ve made an offer, sometimes paid the asking price, sometimes I’ve taken a lower offer and sometimes sold at my asking price.

All swings and roundabouts and nothing to get stressed about.

Few times I’ve had no reply to a PM but the item is shown as sold a while later. Bit of courtesy doesn’t hurt in those situations.

Master
    I'm reluctant to get involved in these types of threads, but I'm struggling with the comment above. This amounts to saying if someone does not attribute the same value to an item as you do, then they are have a questionable moral character. I'm ever so sorry but I politely offer what I think an item is worth to me, combined with what I can afford. Sometimes the offer is politely declined and often it is accepted or is the starting point for negotiation. Hopefully I am not attributed the view described above in the eyes of those I have dealt with.

No basically just giving a pleb the one fingered salute in a terribly polite way. Fortunately I have never been in a position where I am desperate enough to be compelled to accept a low price. I don't blame them for trying it on but they can't blame me for making it obvious that I would like to see them play a game of marbles in the middle of a fast moving motorway.
    Reassuring Mick that when you bought your portfolio of property and collection of Rolex watches that you paid the asking price on each occasion - top bloke.

I'm also very lucky that we didn't discuss money the other year when you were considering selling your Daytona as the M53 is only around the corner from me.

Master
    You get lowball offers from time to time, I decline them and put a counter offer. The worst place I've had lowball was eBay, selling a car was offered a good few £k less and told to accept it or he'd come around to my house and get physical, I left that to eBay and the police to sort.

When buying if my perceived worth of an item is a long way from the sellers asking price I won't even send an offer, but will monitor it and see if the cost falls at which point I might make an offer.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I'm also very lucky that we didn't discuss money the other year when you were considering selling your Daytona as the M53 is only around the corner from me.
    That can’t be true Ken, as one of the things that Mick likes to regularly patronise people on is to bang on about never ever selling a Rolex!!! Unless of course like the rest of his posts he’s just full of ...

Blog Entries
    Pleb: an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 27th July 2020 at 22:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Reassuring Mick that when you bought your portfolio of property and collection of Rolex watches that you paid the asking price on each occasion - top bloke.

Ken

Yes we had a chat when you contacted me when you were looking for a Daytona. I offered to let you have mine for £10k but I advised you to allow £1100 on top for a Rolex service. So basically you could have had mine for £11,100. You declined.

It's now going to be my Grandsons 25th birthday pressie.

Ken

Yes we had a chat when you contacted me when you were looking for a Daytona. I offered to let you have mine for £10k but I advised you to allow £1100 on top for a Rolex service. So basically you could have had mine for £11,100. You declined.

It's now going to be my Grandsons 25th birthday pressie.
    Life must be good if you can bung your grandson a £20k birthday present, lucky lad.

It’s a fair call and what is most normal people would do, however the seller is totally within their right to simply ignore an offer it they consider it derisory and rather insulting. It’s was waste of everyone’s time.

What I wouldn’t however expect is the seller to make an issue out of it, nor the buyer, if their offer was ignored.
    Last edited by Andyg; 28th July 2020 at 08:26.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Life must be good if you can bung your grandson a £20k birthday present, lucky lad.

...and I claim my £5

Master

Lowballers, offers etc when buying or selling.

Have you ever actually done that? Or is it just a little pompous fantasy that makes you feel good about yourself? Another thing , why would you put the phone down slowly on somebody? It’s either active or not , they can’t see you!! You’l have been watching too many old films in your old people’s home. I’m pleased that you are old:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 28th July 2020 at 06:49.

Agree mostly but some offers can be flat out offensive.

Blog Entries
    Someone said this thread should have been on the BP - they were right!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Someone said this thread should have been on the BP - they were right!
    Which is a real shame as I suspect the majority of TZ members are adults and if they can't have an adult conversation without it turning into a pissing contest it is a poor tale :(

Master
    I don't sell much, but the only time I can remember being annoyed by an offer was when I sold a guitar on eBay. The guy offered substantially less than the reserve price then stipulated his own terms and conditions, almost as if he was doing me a favour. I just declined, and the guitar did go for more than the reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Which is a real shame as I suspect the majority of TZ members are adults and if they can't have an adult conversation without it turning into a pissing contest it is a poor tale :(
    Just takes one with views that winds everyone up, wouldnt suprise me if that person was fishing for a royal rumble with themself the centre of attention....
    Last edited by xellos99; 27th July 2020 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

...and I claim my £5

That's a rather good analogy

Master
    I feel a bit daft for having paid the asking prices on the watches I bought on here and accepting the perceived value in trade without any hassle.

I did message one person and say bit steep please let me know if the price moves and they sold it to someone else for less.. was not to be !

Master
    I was selling something on eBay this week which I judged to be worth £110. Of course I got a message as soon as I listed it saying simply ‘£45?’ To which I replied ‘£110?’, though I was tempted to reply ‘£2,567.44?’- a courteous offer gets a courteous response, a rude idiot lowballer gets answered in kind, if at all.

The funny thing is, when it sold for exactly what I expected today, I still felt like messaging the lowballer saying, ‘Told you so you $¥§$head’. It’s funny how irritating it is, in theory you can’t blame a guy for trying, but somehow you really do, I suppose because they’re both suggesting you’re an idiot and trying to rob you.

Blog Entries
    I'm willing to bet the same conversation has been going on for thousands of years.......................

Two chickens and a bag of carrots and he has the audacity to offer me two rabbits and a turnip........

Two barrels of the best wine from Gaul for a chariot, and he has the audacity to offer me a donkey.......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I never try WTB for that reason you contact some wanted a particular watch ends offering you silly money. I seen one chap wanted a gmt master for 3 years why has he not bought one in that time not cheap enough lol

Journeyman
    I personally have no issue with this although it is a very weird phenomenon that only seems to happen on certain items. I’ve never seen anyone walk into Tesco, pick up a £1.20 loaf of bread, slap it on the counter and say ‘£0.60?’