closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Antique Dealers help?

Master

Any Antique Dealers help?

Trying to value this antique Maple & co. Armoire. Anyone help with rough value or pointers? TIA!

Blog Entries
    To me it looks like a nice, well made piece of furniture but in a style not popular these days. (personally I like it better than acres of white mdf)

We had to get rid of some furniture including a dresser, which was well made and by a recognised and popular maker. Unfortunately again the style let it down and we had to give it away to simply find it a home.

Hopefully this one will find more favour with people, items like this were made to last.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Not a dealer, but it looks very late Victorian or early Edwardian 1890-20, possibly Satin-walnut. Nice piece.

I would say around £400-500. It’s quite a big piece so will not easily fit in many homes.

The Maples adds something, but Maples were a bit “IKEA” in it day.

One thing is certain, if you wanted to have that made today, the wood alone would be over a £1k

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Think nowadays, people have far more clothes so something like this, even a larger one, just isn’t big enough.

This is rather stylish though...

Master
    Cheers guys, bit of a bind as it's 175 miles away from me and I need to get the house cleared. It was mine as a teenager and had Dunrobin Castle origins. Don't want to chuck it! >cry<

Blog Entries
    In my head it is worth several hundred pounds, sadly over the last decade or so, you can hardly give this stuff away even though the craftsmanship is ‘right up there’. Unfortunately nowadays most people prefer Ikea style crap. If there is any way that you can keep it, there will come a time when you will have people queuing for it waving wedges of notes and/or bank details.
    Lovely piece!
    Last edited by KavKav; 26th July 2020 at 13:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    In my head it is worth several hundred pounds, sadly over the last decade or so, you can hardly give this stuff away even though the craftsmanship is ‘right up there’. Unfortunately nowadays most people prefer Ikea style crap. If there is any way that you can keep it, there will come a time when you will have people queuing for it waving wedges of notes and/or bank details.
    Lovely piece!
    I'm afraid that keeping it is not an option. Just wouldn't work and I'd have to transport it! Wife also hates it...

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I may be wrong but I think NickMSN might be your man.

I like it, not very saleable though, does it come apart? Sometimes the drawer unit and top part come apart easily- they just sit atop one another
    Got an art nouveau look to it.
    Hope it finds a good home, an auction house may be best or marketplace??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I like it, not very saleable though, does it come apart? Sometimes the drawer unit and top part come apart easily- they just sit atop one another
    Got an art nouveau look to it.
    Hope it finds a good home, an auction house may be best or marketplace??
    It does, into 4 sections. Base with two drawers, wardrobe, chest of drawers, top section that locks them all together. I'll speak to L&T Edinburgh tomorrow...

Master
    A nice thing. Not as fashionable as it was, however it's better made and will last longer than your typical modern rubbish. Speaking to L&T about it is sensible, and I'd mention the Dunrobin Castle connection when you speak to them. Might bump up the price a bit. Since keeping it isn't an option I'd recommend you sell it without a reserve. It may sell for under the estimate, but the possibility that you'll have to take it back if the reserve isn't met doesn't arise.

Agreed. Contact local auctioneers... they’ll collect and take away... you likely wont make much money on it but you also won’t have to do anything but provide access .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My experience of this with my parents furniture you will get sod all for it. Your options are then skip it or auction house. If the latter by the time they charge you for the collection and the sales fees you may just about break even at £0. So it is really what is the most cost effective and least effort to get rid. Ridiculous state of affairs but that is sadly the way it seems to be.

All our furniture is antique. It’s vastly better made than modern stuff, usually costs less, and fits in with the period of our property.

But as others have rightly said, selling the stuff is very difficult, and it’s all about the retailer.

If your item was in a high-end Antique dealership it would be hundreds or maybe even a thousand plus. Anywhere else, very little.

Your best bet these days is probably Facebook Marketplace and definitely not eBay.
    So clever my foot fell off.

https://www.lyonandturnbull.com/auct...p=24&pn=17&g=1

Try their Edinburgh office ... and request an auction valuation

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"