closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice required

Craftsman

Some advice required

Folks, I made a big mistake of looking at 2 “grail” type watches yesterday. I looked at, tried and and negotiated on a Vacheron Overseas Chrono( blue dual- latest version) and a 44mm AP Royal Oak Offshore. Now Im stuck on which to buy. I can only buy one and its taken months to save so i need to make the correct decision. The Vacheron i have been offered £1400 off retail and the AP is 10% off retail so a few £ dIfference.

Tried the AP 42mm and liked it but the 44mm really suited me best and loved it. Then visited another shop with the VC and what a watch( amazing dial). I have not slept half the night trying to decide. I believe the VC will be harder to come by and its on hold till 11am today until i call the shop. The AP seems to hold very slightly better value but not much in it and i don't sell watches so it shouldn't really matter but its still on my mind.

Any owners of either or both give their opinion as ultimately only i can decide but would be good to here opinions . Thanks.
    Last edited by markyboy.1967; 26th July 2020 at 09:37.

Craftsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are very different.

For me the Vacheron Overseas Chrono by a mile.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If one felt more comfortable on the wrist then I’d get that one.

If you rarely sell a watch then the residual would not worry me (well, I’d try not to let it worry me)

I much prefer the VC of the 2 you pictured, but there are other AP I would prefer - but that’s an aesthetic choice that will vary person to person.

Do the VC pushers screw in? That might swing me but are you,likely to swim in one of these watches?

Best of luck in making a tough choice.

Just on those pic's the VC looks a better all rounder, the AP is a bit Marmite/Marbella whereas the VC looks it could be worn with anything and anywhere.

The AP has more of a recognisable following but the VC you would have to explain to people what it is if they asked "nice watch", good luck and a make the right decision..

Journeyman
    I prefer the VC by quite some margin.

I'd go for the VC any day over that AP.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    If one felt more comfortable on the wrist then I’d get that one.

If you rarely sell a watch then the residual would not worry me (well, I’d try not to let it worry me)

I much prefer the VC of the 2 you pictured, but there are other AP I would prefer - but that’s an aesthetic choice that will vary person to person.

Do the VC pushers screw in? That might swing me but are you,likely to swim in one of these watches?

Best of luck in making a tough choice.
    Screw in pushers which can be a good thing but can be slower to operate but overall I like screw in pushers.

Craftsman
    Is the Vc discount decent at £1400 off or is it possible to get a better deal from another AD?

Craftsman
    Vc gets the vote from me !

Craftsman
    The Vacheron is stunning, and looks the more versatile of the two as it’ll work for smart and casual events, so of the two I’d lean towards that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The VC all day long. I nearly bought the same watch in March and in the end went for the 3 hander as I’ve already got a chrono. That blue is like nothing else in the sun, it’s an incredible colour. All that aside, the 3 strap options gives so much more versatility anyway.

VC looks a lot "smarter" I think it should be done to lifestyle which is the more natural one to wear. What watch do you wear most at the moment?

I made the mistake of buying a JLC reverso - great watch but didn't really suit what I wear each day compared to say a JLC Diver so didn't get worn as often as it should have.

The choice would be harder for me if the AP was the Kaspa (25860) white dial.

But even then it would be the VC. Stunning and versatile. The bracelet is a dream, too.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Just on those pic's the VC looks a better all rounder, the AP is a bit Marmite/Marbella whereas the VC looks it could be worn with anything and anywhere.

The AP has more of a recognisable following but the VC you would have to explain to people what it is if they asked "nice watch", good luck and a make the right decision..
    Pretty much this. The VC is a lovely looking more versatile piece that looks alot easier to read. The AP in all honesty looks like they threw the parts bin at it.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks folks, I’m really surprised as it was basically everyone for the VC. Will update what I decide to do. Thanks again.

The VC looks absolutely splendid and would probably suit most occasions. The AP will suit fewer occasions but looks like the sort of watch that would put a smile on one’s face.

Sone advice required

1 Sone = 40 phons.

Craftsman
    The dangers of browsing in the arcade, I saw the VC in the display last week, they seem to have got decent stock during lockdown.

I have the AP Royal Oak Chrono and the VC Overseas 3 hander in blue.

I would normally have waited for the Chrono but was cool with it as I already had the AP as I prefer the complication and the overall look.

It’s a no brainer for me, quick change strap mechanism, superb velvet dial, more flexibility in wear, I’d go with the VC every time.

I’d also try and go harder on the price, £27,400 has sky rocketed with two increases, if you’re not taking 0% finance, that should be doable with them...there’s not many folk cutting about Glasgow right now that will be contemplating that!!

Look at that dial!

Cool

The VC by a long long way, I dislike the dial texture and hate the colour on the AP 🤢

John..

The VC without a doubt. Personally I don't like the AP RO offshore models, I feel they are drifting towards Hublot territory and should be worn by football pundits on the tele. A normal Royal Oak would be in the running though. The Blue dial on the VC is spectacular.

Master
    Out of them two definitely the VC, but if it it was a standard AP offshore not chronograph that would be closer, And a much harder decision for me But I am biased as I’ve just bought this

Last edited by Hooshabak; 26th July 2020 at 09:46.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    The dangers of browsing in the arcade, I saw the VC in the display last week, they seem to have got decent stock during lockdown.

I have the AP Royal Oak Chrono and the VC Overseas 3 hander in blue.

I would normally have waited for the Chrono but was cool with it as I already had the AP as I prefer the complication and the overall look.

It’s a no brainer for me, quick change strap mechanism, superb velvet dial, more flexibility in wear, I’d go with the VC every time.

I’d also try and go harder on the price, £27,400 has sky rocketed with two increases, if you’re not taking 0% finance, that should be doable with them...there’s not many folk cutting about Glasgow right now that will be contemplating that!!

Look at that dial!

That looks lovely however I need the bigger Chrono size for my wrist and anything below 42mm seems too small well it does in the VC. I tried a FiftySix on a while back and it was tiny and was worried the Chrono at 42.5 would be the same but it wears true to size and I can get away with it. One sales assistant said it came in on Fri and the another said last week then changed his mind to Fri and typical sales said 2 people already interested.lol. I won’t jump onboard just because of that but would be good to buy from an AD as long as the deal was right. Cheers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    AP by a mile. The ceramic bezel is ace as is the grey dial.
    I think they're far better value-wise than VC.

Tough choice to make OP.

I can’t offer any advice but I will say that the blue dial on the VC is stunning

All the best with your decision
    Jon

For me the VC all the way, but that doesn’t help you. Forget price, which one would you really prefer?

Master
    I’m with you C. The AP for me, it looks stunning and would be a no brainer for me. Good luck with your decision, nice dilemma to have.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I’m with you C. The AP for me, it looks stunning and would be a no brainer for me. Good luck with your decision, nice dilemma to have.
    Not so good just now as my head is bursting. Its a very major purchase and have committed to not spend anywhere as much on a watch again so need something im happy with.

Price wise there is over £2k so although its substantial its not going to make my mind up for me.

How hard is the Vc to get at an AD as its the first i have seen in town?

Master
    You seem too close and worked-up about this. Something many of us have lived through....if you can manage it,the best move would be to stand back for a month or so, which gives perspective.
    These sort of watches are always around, the opportunities won’t disappear.
    I realise you’re now ‘primed’ and ready to spend the money. But maybe you can hang back a little.
    As for the choice, for me, the V C. The AP is vulgar (sorry, but that’s how it looks to me.) . Anyway, good luck.

Craftsman
    VC all day long for me. That AP is not my cup of tea at all.

It's all down to personal taste though.

Master
    If it were to be your only watch, I'd go VC. But if you're already covered in the 'dressier' area, I'd go AP for its Uber modern and sporty look. There are many watches broadly similar to the VC but the AP is much more distinctive and suitable for an existing collection.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    That looks lovely however I need the bigger Chrono size for my wrist and anything below 42mm seems too small well it does in the VC. I tried a FiftySix on a while back and it was tiny and was worried the Chrono at 42.5 would be the same but it wears true to size and I can get away with it. One sales assistant said it came in on Fri and the another said last week then changed his mind to Fri and typical sales said 2 people already interested.lol. I won’t jump onboard just because of that but would be good to buy from an AD as long as the deal was right. Cheers.
    The fifty-six felt really small and light when I tried it as well, put me off.

If it’s CH in the arcade, I’m pretty sure it was there week last Saturday when I was in, reality is these can be ordered in even if you wait a few months...same with the AP, unless it’s a stainless steel RO, they can get most models in Rox, that’s my main AD these days

I like both, you won’t be disappointed either way, good luck!

Craftsman
    I'm with the majority here and I'd go with the VC. That AP doesnt appeal to me. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you went with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    The fifty-six felt really small and light when I tried it as well, put me off.

If it’s CH in the arcade, I’m pretty sure it was there week last Saturday when I was in, reality is these can be ordered in even if you wait a few months...same with the AP, unless it’s a stainless steel RO, they can get most models in Rox, that’s my main AD these days

I like both, you won’t be disappointed either way, good luck!

Yeah I was in Rox trying to do a deal( bought several items from them now) on a ROO but cant get a deal for in stock watches hence trying the 42 and 44on. Ross did his best but the manager just wasn’t up for a deal on a watch to be ordered in and at over 31k then I would buy without a deal happening.

From those two the VC would be my choice - but I’d get the Dual Time rather than the Chrono - more interesting dial and probably a more useful complication - but that’s just my preference. The Overseas looks great on your wrist.

The ROO isn’t for me, too big and bulky and a bit vulgar in my opinion

Master
    Not to put you off buying on this, a watch forum but...

I would leave it if I were you. It sounds like you have the money and feel you should spend it as opposed to knowing exactly what you want and finally having the means to get it.

Perhaps just leave it for now. The opportunity will come again, you will still have the money, and by then maybe you will be more certain.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    If it were to be your only watch, I'd go VC. But if you're already covered in the 'dressier' area, I'd go AP for its Uber modern and sporty look. There are many watches broadly similar to the VC but the AP is much more distinctive and suitable for an existing collection.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is a very wise analysis.

Neither are my cup of tea, but I would take the AP for its distinctive sporty design, The VC is more subtle, but IMHO a bit boring

Dave

Master
    Looks about 32 VC against 4 AP - all irrelevant though as you are the one wearing it and you are the one parting with a lot of money. Listen to the merits of each post but you need to decide what’s right for you.

If I wasn’t sure I don’t think I’d commit that amount of money unless it was something I could move on without much of a loss. The VC chrono isn’t common as a few months ago I tried to source one and at that time St Maarten in the Caribbean was the nearest one I could find. That said I’m reasonably confident you’d find one if you were prepared to wait a while - the fact you can buy one now tells me they do come up. So if you’re that torn, maybe think it over more.

Also, remember that basic servicing cost are north of £1k for the AP (don't know for the VC)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    What a lovely dilemma to have!

Out of those two I'd pick the VC by a country mile, a more coherent design.

My AP choice would be the non- ROO variant, truer to Genta's original concept.

For that amount of money though I'd be looking at either a PP 5170G or Lange 1815 Flyback (pre-owned),

both only 40mm but wear bigger owing to their much thinner bezels.

Good luck with your choice!
    Last edited by procrustes; 26th July 2020 at 11:17.

I would also say the VC, it just looks special, nice dilemma to have

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

If going VC chrono and not the 3 hander I would be trying for the panda dial.

Craftsman
    The Vacheron, for me it's not a close decision.

Two very different styles though so ultimately go with the one that suits your lifestyle.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments folks. Im leaning towards the blue dial VC chrono however im going to do more searching to find a better price if possible, if not i will order through the local AD and wait on one coming in for me as im not in a hurry to buy. The dial really is something else in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Not to put you off buying on this, a watch forum but...

I would leave it if I were you. It sounds like you have the money and feel you should spend it as opposed to knowing exactly what you want and finally having the means to get it.

Perhaps just leave it for now. The opportunity will come again, you will still have the money, and by then maybe you will be more certain.
    That is a very very very smart advice
    But...we all have been there more or less and almost none heard the voice of reason yelling at us :)

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Two different styles - if both were on the table I’d go with the VC.

The AC feels / looks like a hublot (nothing wrong with Hublot btw!) but the VC does have a classier style to it IMO

Two good watches and good luck with the choice!

S

I prefer the AP, the ceramic bezel and grey dial looks fab and I assume its a titanium case compliments both. The VC is nice and looks classy but if I was dressing down which is most of the time the AP would put the bigger smile on my face.

Master
    Much prefer the VC but I do like the blue dial watches which seem to the latest rage and am not a huge fan in general of the AP case style either.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I prefer the AP, the ceramic bezel and grey dial looks fab and I assume its a titanium case compliments both. The VC is nice and looks classy but if I was dressing down which is most of the time the AP would put the bigger smile on my face.
    Absolutely agree with this. I’d also say I’m not a huge fan of the ‘electric’ blue on the VC. The panda chrono would be closer, but if you can pull off a ROO, definitely go with that.

It's the VC for me. I think it'll age better and I would feel less self-conscious wearing it - the AP is a bit 'look at me'.

Something that has got me through a number of close decisions like this is the thought that if 2 things are really hard to choose between, then you'll likely be happy with either and it is natural for you to think you made the right decision once the watch is on your wrist.

You'll love either, but if you're planning to give it to me, I'll take the VC, please! ;)