closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heathrow T5

Craftsman

Heathrow T5

Hi All,

I’ll have an hour and a half in T5 tomorrow before flying to Marseille and I’m hoping to pick up a Tudor Pelagos LHD am I in for a disappointment or will I be fortunate to find a shop who’s likely to have one?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    Hi All,

I’ll have an hour and a half in T5 tomorrow before flying to Marseille and I’m hoping to pick up a Tudor Pelagos LHD am I in for a disappointment or will I be fortunate to find a shop who’s likely to have one?

Thanks

Think you may be lucky. Suggest you email them to tell them what you want as given enough time they can move stock from other terminals.

WOSTerminal5@watches-of-switzerland.co.uk

Good luck

Craftsman
    I got mine from WOS in Heathrow. I think it Might have been T3 rather than 5 but I’m sure they would have it in both.

Go as soon as possible to WOS. If they don’t have it at T5 and they do at another terminal they could always bring it over for you. A watch that I bought took 45 mins to come from another terminal.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I’ll email them now.

Craftsman
    An appointment has been booked, they have a Pelagos LHD in stock but not a BB58 which was the other model I’d asked about although they offered to keep a GMT aside to view also.

Looking forward to it, are Tudor’s prices without the VAT?

Cheers

Master
    An appointment has been booked, they have a Pelagos LHD in stock but not a BB58 which was the other model I’d asked about although they offered to keep a GMT aside to view also.

Looking forward to it, are Tudor’s prices without the VAT?

Cheers

Tudor and Rolex will do they VAT off if flying out of the EU. Other brands will typically do approx 18% off regardless of destination.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Tudor and Rolex will do they VAT off if flying out of the EU. Other brands will typically do approx 18% off regardless of destination.
    Thanks Joe, that’s a bugger as I’m only flying to the South of France not outwith the EU so that my plan on ice then to purchase and save the VAT

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice this morning all, I’m please to say I now own my first Tudor

Great acquisition!! Love this one - looking forward to seeing some shots on the beaches of Marseille

S

Master
    Does the leftie pelagos have the roulette date wheel as standard? A nice feature IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks Joe, that’s a bugger as I’m only flying to the South of France not outwith the EU so that my plan on ice then to purchase and save the VAT

And pricing ?

Master
    Thanks for the advice this morning all, I’m please to say I now own my first Tudor

Lume plots look white, have they changed these from cream?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Great acquisition!! Love this one - looking forward to seeing some shots on the beaches of Marseille

S
    Thanks Seb although I’ll be avoiding Marseille beaches with the COVID outbreaks, the the pool at the villa will do.

Craftsman
    And pricing ?
    Managed to blag it for the VAT free price after saying I was travelling outside the EU (I know I’ll get a tongue lashing for it from some) I simply said my wife had the boarding passes and the salesman said no problem just tell me your destination/flight number and that was that....I couldn’t believe it was a straight forward as that to save £600+ on the purchase

Master
    Managed to blag it for the VAT free price after saying I was travelling outside the EU (I know I’ll get a tongue lashing for it from some) I simply said my wife had the boarding passes and the salesman said no problem just tell me your destination/flight number and that was that....I couldn’t believe it was a straight forward as that to save £600+ on the purchase

Congratulations. Suggest you call it what it was which is a discount, not VAT free.

Wear in good health.

Master
    Pretty sure when I purchased at LHR it was indeed VAT free and not a discount on the receipt.

Master

So you lied?

Tax avoidance or tax evasion?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Pretty sure when I purchased at LHR it was indeed VAT free and not a discount on the receipt.
    Aren’t you then liable for VAT when you return?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Tax avoidance or tax evasion?
    Clear tax evasion. Paying tax is a social and moral responsibility hence I always struggle to understand the selfishness of those who want to pay less than their share and publicise their willingness to commit tax fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Clear tax evasion. Paying tax is a social and moral responsibility hence I always struggle to understand the selfishness of those who want to pay less than their share and publicise their willingness to commit tax fraud.
    Same conclusion I arrived at, the same people will scream and shout at benefit fraud or having their lawn mower stolen, all boils down to dishonesty.
    List updated.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    It would only be tax evasion if tax was due. Watches of Switerland sell tax free for qualifying travellers and tax free equivalent prices ( except for Tudor and Rolex). Perhaps it was a discount.

Did someone mention either counterfeit watches or VAT evasion...”Regulators, mount up!”

It would only be tax evasion if tax was due. Watches of Switerland sell tax free for qualifying travellers and tax free equivalent prices ( except for Tudor and Rolex). Perhaps it was a discount.
    Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe not.

So anyone claiming it was VAT is wrong? Or maybe that was another store (are there even other stores?).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Aren’t you then liable for VAT when you return?
    Correct. If you are going abroad and buy it outbound, when you return to the UK (assuming, with the watch) it needs to be declared.

Unless the OP really did get a discount and paid the VAT? I guess best not to jump to conclusions - it will all be clear on the receipt!

Unless he posts a picture of the receipt showing it was a discount, I’d be disappointed in TZ-UK not to see 3 or more pages of outrage at tax avoidance.

I’m fearful of the day a new guy not knowing the two unwritten rules posts about how he picked up a VAT free watch on the way out on holiday and bought a counterfeit watch at a souk. That combination could be like a nuclear blast going off.

Master
    I appreciate the humour re forum outrage but think we need to call out fraud for what it is, just as we would any other potentially criminal offence, rather than suggesting it's acceptable.
    Education is important as I've met many people who considered minor tax fraud acceptable until they appreciated it for what it really is, stealing from us all (including their family and friends).
    Rant over

Craftsman
    If it was other brands, it’s plausible that they offered a discount to match the VAT free price for travellers within EU (as the margins on those brands are huge). But given it was a Tudor (and a fairly in demand model), it was more likely sold VAT free.

People who fly out of EU and don’t declare their watches on return are already Tax evading. Lying about leaving the EU further adds to show that this was a deliberate attempt.

The receipt should show a flight number out of EU, and if it was sold VAT free. And this will be clear to the customs/insurers/anyone who wishes to buy the watch in the future. Tread lightly, OP.

Craftsman
    Can any of our tax experts on this thread enlighten me who you’d actually declare the watch purchase to on re entry to the UK ?

Never seen a customs officer for a few years at my local airport.

I did declare some golf clubs purchased in the USA many moons ago, the two customs chaps were almost embarrassed that I’d brought it to their attention, however they were both travelling to the same area a few weeks later and asked for details of which shop I’d bought them at , before charging me a token £15 duty.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You go through the red lane, to declare, at a major uk airport. Either someone is there OR there is a phone you use to call.

This is what the OP should have done, instead im sure he went through the usual nothing to declare lanes.

Tax is due on this watch, it is not a discount on Tudor, as there is not VAT shown on the receipt. I bought a tudor this way before and declared it coming back, the VAT was then payable.

OP seems a little quiet now, hoping this thread disappears.
    Last edited by Kash; 28th July 2020 at 08:54.

Heathrow T5

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    you go through the red lane, to declare, at a major uk airport. Either someone is there OR there is a phone you use to call.
    Quite, not difficult.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    You go through the red lane, to declare, at a major uk airport. Either someone is there OR there is a phone you use to call.

This is what the OP should have done, instead im sure he went through the usual nothing to declare lanes.

Tax is due on this watch, it is not a discount on Tudor, as there is not VAT shown on the receipt. I bought a tudor this way before and declared it coming back, the VAT was then payable.

OP seems a little quiet now, hoping this thread disappears.

I don’t think he’ll be bothered in the slightest to be honest, he made a decision, he knew what he was doing and no doubt he won’t lose any sleep over it or the criticism on here.

Master

Heathrow T5

It could be argued the amount of tax the government takes from him is well over 50%. Which, could be described as fascism. Fundamentally, taking an individuals wealth to discretionary give (redistribute) to others or waste on government inefficiencies and bureaucracy.

If the OP took this Money from an individual or company it would clearly be wrong, but from a government who takes more from him?
    Last edited by Rodder; 28th July 2020 at 11:03.