closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ming Dive watch launching 7 August

Ming Dive watch launching 7 August

Saw an email update in my inbox for the long anticipated Ming dive watch!

The key highlight specs - "40mm, 1km, 12.9mm, grade 5 titanium, ceramic lume, with pricing from CHF 2,950."

It's not an inconsiderable sum, but I think the highlight features are exciting enough for the price. I'm on the fence of buying - I'm also still waiting on the 27.01, but very tempted and very intrigued! This will be a hit, a lot of folk have been wanting a diver and a larger size. Total number in this batch is 280 watches released across 2 dates - 7th August the first one (https://ming.watch/blogs/news/pre-la...ming-18-01-h41).

While we wait, thought be interesting to see what would folk like to see in the watch? No doubt we can use the Abyss concept (https://ming.watch/collections/archi...-abyss-concept) as a guide to what we may see. I'm personally excited to see what an upgraded bezel will look like and lots and lots of lume!

And one standard shot of the Abyss:

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve never been tempted by Ming’s dials but like the simplicity of this one. The bezel is VERY marmite and having ‘Ming’ on it is terrible IMO.

Otherwise, yes, it looks nice.

Interesting looking - given that it would be only be used for desk diving that it's not actually a diver's watch is I think excusable.

Love it, different without going full weird. Would I buy it though...? I'd like to have it but I won't be bothered by not getting my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I’ve never been tempted by Ming’s dials but like the simplicity of this one. The bezel is VERY marmite and having ‘Ming’ on it is terrible IMO.

Otherwise, yes, it looks nice.
    Just to be clear - the pics above are of the Abyss concept and NOT of the Ming production diver (one difference is the concept is steel and the upcoming diver is in Ti). We won't see pics till 7th August.

I post the Abyss as it is likely a good indicator of what we could expect :)

On the bezel - I don't mind the name on it, but I've been ok with it from the start.

That's not the actual.watch btw. That's the abyss concept that crazyp used by means of stimulating discussion. I suspect the actual watch would look somewhat different given the fact the Abyss was priced twice what this new one is supposed to come in at

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That's not the actual.watch btw. That's the abyss concept that crazyp used by means of stimulating discussion. I suspect the actual watch would look somewhat different given the fact the Abyss was priced twice what this new one is supposed to come in at
    Thanks Ryan - it's a good point on the price difference. They're both 1000m depth ratings, so let's see where differences are!

The price is not far off 2.5 grand, I just wonder where the price is justified it looks like a Steinhart watch and I am pretty sure if Steinhart did come out with something like this there would be some harsh views posted. The whole sales pitch sort of reminds me of MKII watches.

Apprentice
    Pretty cool if it looks anything like the concept.
    If the latest Casio is the Tron then this is the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The price is not far off 2.5 grand, I just wonder where the price is justified it looks like a Steinhart watch and I am pretty sure if Steinhart did come out with something like this there would be some harsh views posted. The whole sales pitch sort of reminds me of MKII watches.
    You think that unapologetically Asian watch looks like a Steinhart? The same company that receives endless flak for paying homage to a certain Rolex? I'm not really seeing that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The bezel is VERY marmite and having ‘Ming’ on it is terrible IMO.
    Minging, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    You think that unapologetically Asian watch looks like a Steinhart? The same company that receives endless flak for paying homage to a certain Rolex? I'm not really seeing that myself.
    Steinhart dont just make homage watches to Rolex look at the other watches they produce and yes, it looks like something Steinhart would produce. To be fair if you told me Limes, Archemede or any others produced it I wouldnt be too surprised.

Whats "Asian" About this watch by the way?

Steinhart dont just make homage watches to Rolex look at the other watches they produce and yes, it looks like something Steinhart would produce. To be fair if you told me Limes, Archemede or any others produced it I wouldnt be too surprised.

It bears no resemblance to any Steinhart, homage or original, I just don't see where you're getting that idea from.

What's Asian about it? The styling. It's so far removed from the design of your average Swiss brand it's like a different sport.

Oooh. Not for me at all, thanks.

It bears no resemblance to any Steinhart, homage or original, I just don't see where you're getting that idea from.

What's Asian about it? The styling. It's so far removed from the design of your average Swiss brand it's like a different sport.
    Sorry Robert - I just do not see any resemblance. Also design language wise we're comparing two vastly different products.

In addition to what PH says, Ming is based out of Malaysia.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Twaddle.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Sorry Robert - I just do not see any resemblance. Also design language wise we're comparing two vastly different products.

In addition to what PH says, Ming is based out of Malaysia.
    What does his location have to do with anything?

Genuine question.

If it had say an urushi dial like some Seiko or Japanese paper dial like some Citizen I may say Ok there is something of an Asian DNA in the watch but all I see is a large sterile dial and bezel thats utterly uninspiring and looks every bit a micro brand that Steinhart could have brought out at a few hundred run limited edition similar to stuff they have done in the past. The watches are also assembled in Switzerland so other than the the company being in Asia I dont really see the relevance.

I'm sure the watch is well made and some of his other watches are pretty interesting but I dont see what justifies the price tag. Like I say it reminds me of the whole MKII thing a few years back, limited runs everyone jumps all over.
    Last edited by robert75; 25th July 2020 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Twaddle.
    Not a nice way to describe yourself

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    In fairness Tony you don't know that yet as the watch crazyp posted is unlikely to be what is released.

I already know I'll buy it and I'm pre-drafting the SC advert now where I flip it after a week :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not a nice way to describe yourself
    Indeed. And I wasn’t. Your comments remain such.

Out of curiosity - I regards you as a collector who's owned some fine dive watches, what in particular would you want to see different from the Concept watch above? Or conversely what in the concept don't you like?

What does his location have to do with anything?

Genuine question.

If it had say an urushi dial like some Seiko or Japanese paper dial like some Citizen I may say Ok there is something of an Asian DNA in the watch but all I see is a large sterile dial and bezel thats utterly uninspiring and looks every bit a micro brand that Steinhart could have brought out at a few hundred run limited edition similar to stuff they have done in the past. The watches are also assembled in Switzerland so other than the the company being in Asia I dont really see the relevance.

I'm sure the watch is well made and some of his other watches are pretty interesting but I dont see what justifies the price tag. Like I say it reminds me of the whole MKII thing a few years back, limited runs everyone jumps all over.
    You'd have thought the fact they're actually from an Asian country would influence their approach or at least approaching the issue of watch design from a different perspective? Why stereotype in what you think is 'Asian'?

Show me a consistent design language from a 'micro-brand' that has the same sense of cohesion that Ming has and genuinely looks different from what other brands are doing in the last 5-10 years. Heck add in bigger, more established Swiss brands. Moser and Bvlgari's Octo Finissimo are a few that spring immediately to mind, maybe Halios in the micro-brand group; but the number is very, very few.

I can accept comments like 'not for me' and 'I don't like it' - we all have preferences. But your comment of Stenhart could do this is utter tosh.
    Last edited by crazyp; 25th July 2020 at 20:29.

It's not much of a resemblance, but I can see some similarities with the old-style Trition 100atm. I kinda like them both for similar reasons - both remind me of Tron (far more so than the G-Shock). Have always regretted not buying one of those Steinharts while they were available. The new one is horrible. The Ming is nicer: sleeker; more minimal. I'm not sure how practical it would be as a dive watch though.

Out of curiosity - I regards you as a collector who's owned some fine dive watches, what in particular would you want to see different from the Concept watch above? Or conversely what in the concept don't you like?

You'd have thought the fact they're actually from an Asian country would influence their approach or at least approaching the issue of watch design from a different perspective? Why stereotype in what you think is 'Asian'?

I can accept comments like 'not for me' and 'I don't like it' - we all have preferences. But your comment of Stenhart could do this is utter tosh.
    So saying because he’s from Malaysia that must influence the watch design not stereotyping

Mentioning Asian companies that have incorporated traditional Asian designs into their watches is stereotyping

Yeah right

About as stupid as someone saying Eastern Arabic numerals on a dial is racist

Your right Steinhart could never produce a blue sterile dial divers watch, it’s just far beyond their “European” imagination

So go on, what’s distinctly “Asian” about a sterile dial and bezel on a dive watch?

So saying because he’s from Malaysia that must influence the watch design not stereotyping

Mentioning Asian companies that have incorporated traditional Asian designs into their watches is stereotyping

Yeah right

About as stupid as someone saying Eastern Arabic numerals on a dial is racist

Your right Steinhart could never produce a blue sterile dial divers watch, it’s just far beyond their “European” imagination

So go on, what’s distinctly “Asian” about a sterile dial and bezel on a dive watch?
    The fact you see the dial and bezel as 'sterile' means we're worlds apart from trying to understand. We'll agree to disagree at this point.

I don’t think I’d personally regard it as a dive watch, to be honest. It’s a watch design that itself does nothing for me at all, and that just happens to have a rather cheap-looking dive bezel sitting somewhat incongruously on the top of it. It looks like a Swatch to me, I’m afraid.

I don’t think I’d personally regard it as a dive watch, to be honest. It’s a watch design that itself does nothing for me at all, and that just happens to have a rather cheap-looking dive bezel sitting somewhat incongruously on the top of it. It looks like a Swatch to me, I’m afraid.
    Thanks LTF - not gonna argue on looks, the concept above will not be to everyone’s taste (nor mine if I’m honest). Hoping for the actual release to be better looking, less toy like and more mature design in line with the newer Ming 27.01.

There’s been a few comments on this not considered being a dive watch. Are the visual markers on the bezel not adequate enough to replace numbers - I’d have thought visual is more intuitive? I’d also want to see as a minimum 5 minute markers on the dial (maybe minutes too but don’t think as critical?). Bezel action we cannot judge until we handle. But otherwise what is missing for it to be considered a dive watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I was and still am a fan of the abyss concept watch. If the dive watch looks similar to the concept watch Id be very happy.

Sold out.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What is for you when you anyway sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sold out.
    Hey Chris the above is only a concept that was released as a very limited LE a year or so ago. We don’t know what this new diver will look like and it’s only released on the 7th. So not sold out...yet .

Thought a thread would be interesting (and I was bored. Lol)

Hey Chris the above is only a concept that was released as a very limited LE a year or so ago. We don’t know what this new diver will look like and it’s only released on the 7th. So not sold out...yet .

Thought a thread would be interesting (and I was bored. Lol)
    Ah, my bad - the concept of dive watches being essential to divers is a boat that sailed a long time ago.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    But otherwise what is missing for it to be considered a dive watch?
    A dive watch with a completely smooth bezel? And you know I really like the brand..
    Last edited by gcleminson; 25th July 2020 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    A dive watch with a completely smooth bezel? And you know I really like the brand..
    polished rotating bezel as tests showed this to be the optimal surface finish for gripping fine objects with wet hands

Thanks LTF - not gonna argue on looks, the concept above will not be to everyone’s taste (nor mine if I’m honest). Hoping for the actual release to be better looking, less toy like and more mature design in line with the newer Ming 27.01.

There’s been a few comments on this not considered being a dive watch. Are the visual markers on the bezel not adequate enough to replace numbers - I’d have thought visual is more intuitive? I’d also want to see as a minimum 5 minute markers on the dial (maybe minutes too but don’t think as critical?). Bezel action we cannot judge until we handle. But otherwise what is missing for it to be considered a dive watch?

Well, I guess you can produce a watch with good WR, a rotating bezel and a "legible" dial and call it a dive watch; that doesn't make it fit for purpose, though, and on this one I'd suggest that it's a classic case of form over function. I don't think lack of detail on the dial and bezel markings that look pretty confusing to me (and would no doubt be more so underwater) will attract the diving community in their droves, but then again I guess time will tell when the production model is released. To suggest that this is a dive watch, though, just seems self-indulgent to me.

a classic case of form over function..... To suggest that this is a dive watch, though, just seems self-indulgent to me.
    Functionality is for the little people, perhaps?

Given that the previous diver-inflected dress watch was an LE of just 10 pieces, it seems unlikely that any of them will actually have been worn for more than a few minutes on the day they arrived (if that) so its uselessness is almost beside the point.

If Ming are prepared to spend their time producing collectable LEs, they've no real reason to worry about day-in day-out wearability. Maybe, once they've had their fill, they'll sell the brand to a company more interested in exploiting the carefully-earned reputation in a broader market. Then boring, mundane, tedious details like minute markers and seconds hands might put in an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Functionality is for the little people, perhaps?

Given that the previous diver-inflected dress watch was an LE of just 10 pieces, it seems unlikely that any of them will actually have been worn for more than a few minutes on the day they arrived (if that) so its uselessness is almost beside the point.

If Ming are prepared to spend their time producing collectable LEs, they've no real reason to worry about day-in day-out wearability. Maybe, once they've had their fill, they'll sell the brand to a company more interested in exploiting the carefully-earned reputation in a broader market. Then boring, mundane, tedious details like minute markers and seconds hands might put in an appearance.
    I appreciate that I'm vertically challenged but that was quite uncalled-for

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    polished rotating bezel as tests showed this to be the optimal surface finish for gripping fine objects with wet hands

Do you dive?

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Do you dive?
    No, just quoting Ming.

No, just quoting Ming.
    Maybe there's a distinction between "wet hands" and "gloved hands underwater", because it does fly in the face of everything I've read about the usability of bezels on dive watches.

All academic really as, going by the prototype at least, its clearly a statement piece and not a functional dive watch.

Maybe there's a distinction between "wet hands" and "gloved hands underwater", because it does fly in the face of everything I've read about the usability of bezels on dive watches.

All academic really as, going by the prototype at least, its clearly a statement piece and not a functional dive watch.
    Bezel - most bezels I’ve tried are pretty crap turning with wet hands - the best one I have is the dreadnought voyager. Superb bezel action.

Along with your previous post, both good posts LTF and can’t really argue against you - I’m definitely hoping that either Ming have some diving tests already done with the new watch, or that there are actual divers who will give it a spin and comment. Knowing their attention for detail, I expect that to come. If that doesn’t happen, it remains in the realm of desk diving.

Bezel - most bezels I’ve tried are pretty crap turning with wet hands - the best one I have is the dreadnought voyager. Superb bezel action.

Along with your previous post, both good posts LTF and can’t really argue against you - I’m definitely hoping that either Ming have some diving tests already done with the new watch, or that there are actual divers who will give it a spin and comment. Knowing their attention for detail, I expect that to come. If that doesn’t happen, it remains in the realm of desk diving.

Thanks for taking my posts the way they were intended - nothing detrimental meant about Ming and/or the quality of his watches, merely my own opinion about selling this one (or something similar) as a functional dive watch.

Looking at your image again, by the way, I take back my comment about it being Swatch-like. I think that was unfair, and I'm looking forward to seeing the production model.

Master
    No, just quoting Ming.
    Sorry, flippant reply but I think that’s nonsense. And as Tony’s pointed out, assumes bare hands rather than neoprene gloves..

The final version may well be different, but irrespective of whether it’s ever used as such, to label it as a diver it has to be fit for purpose.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe this is why Omega persist with the smooth bezel on the Seamaster - which is damn hard to turn with dry hands, let alone wet.

I imagine in water, wet hands are no different to dry on land.

Thanks for taking my posts the way they were intended - nothing detrimental meant about Ming and/or the quality of his watches, merely my own opinion about selling this one (or something similar) as a functional dive watch.

Looking at your image again, by the way, I take back my comment about it being Swatch-like. I think that was unfair, and I'm looking forward to seeing the production model.
    Absolutely Tony I don't have shares in Ming and I post for thought and to engage in discussion! Something we haven't done it enough of on this forum over the past few years. So I welcome all constructive engagement (which most have been)!

I own 2 of their watches (and a third awaiting delivery) and really like their approach to challenge and be different (while keeping consistent and novel design. Plus their pricing is really good - every watch of their punches far above their weight.

But we have to still look at each release and be critical - especially with this watch, because our understanding of what makes a great dive watch is much more defined. If we went purely on specs "40mm, 1km, 12.9mm, grade 5 titanium, ceramic lume, with pricing from CHF 2,950", we'd have an absolute knock out of a dive watch for the price. But specs do not tell the whole story.

On the bezel - as I said before most are pretty crap when wet, so if being smooth helps with overall design, I guess not so much of an issue for me. Interesting point above on the Seamaster, the ones I've tried on have been alright. How are the marque dive watches like the Ceramic Submariners and Blancpains when wet? Been so long since I've tried either on.....

Absolutely Tony I don't have shares in Ming and I post for thought and to engage in discussion! Something we haven't done it enough of on this forum over the past few years. So I welcome all constructive engagement (which most have been)!

I own 2 of their watches (and a third awaiting delivery) and really like their approach to challenge and be different (while keeping consistent and novel design. Plus their pricing is really good - every watch of their punches far above their weight.

But we have to still look at each release and be critical - especially with this watch, because our understanding of what makes a great dive watch is much more defined. If we went purely on specs "40mm, 1km, 12.9mm, grade 5 titanium, ceramic lume, with pricing from CHF 2,950", we'd have an absolute knock out of a dive watch for the price. But specs do not tell the whole story.

On the bezel - as I said before most are pretty crap when wet, so if being smooth helps with overall design, I guess not so much of an issue for me. Interesting point above on the Seamaster, the ones I've tried on have been alright. How are the marque dive watches like the Ceramic Submariners and Blancpains when wet? Been so long since I've tried either on.....
    I wish I could tell you

By the way, the Ming is 13.8mm deep, I think?

I wish I could tell you

By the way, the Ming is 13.8mm deep, I think?
    Haha!

The above Abyss is 13.8mm. What Ming has said in the update about this new diver, is that it’s 12.9mm. With a 40mm case, that’s pretty awesome for a 1000m rating. I think Eddies Caribbean will be over 15mm IIRC.

No, just quoting Ming.

Just tried turning the polished bezel on my PRS-50 with wet hands and I can't. No problem with dry hands, but no chance with wet.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Just tried turning the polished bezel on my PRS-50 with wet hands and I can't. No problem with dry hands, but no chance with wet.
    If I were designing a dive watch to actually be used for diving, I wouldn't use a ceramic or aluminium insert. I would machine the number markings directly into the bezel, then fill the gaps to cover the top (at a slight angle) to also protrude slightly from the side, with something like the grip of a Stanley Magnum* screwdriver (I don't know the actual material used - some type of plastic).

* RIP. These are sadly discontinued. I don't know why. Best screwdrivers ever made. It's like if Rolex decided to just stop making Submariners one day, with no explanation, and just told everyone to buy Datejusts instead.

Master
    Well, I guess you can produce a watch with good WR, a rotating bezel and a "legible" dial and call it a dive watch; that doesn't make it fit for purpose, though, and on this one I'd suggest that it's a classic case of form over function. I don't think lack of detail on the dial and bezel markings that look pretty confusing to me (and would no doubt be more so underwater) will attract the diving community in their droves, but then again I guess time will tell when the production model is released. To suggest that this is a dive watch, though, just seems self-indulgent to me.
    Agree with all the above. For a genuine dive watch, it's far too stylised (if indeed the final version looks like the images) and a chunk of the functionality to be expected has been sacrificed on the altar of the Ming aesthetic. Some of his stuff is tremendous but this misses the mark imo.