closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ming Dive watch launching 7 August

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    It's like if Rolex decided to just stop making Submariners one day, with no explanation, and just told everyone to buy Datejusts instead.

That day will never come! Oh wait...

Craftsman
    Launching today, 2pm UK time!

Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post
    Launching today, 2pm UK time!
    Going to take a look, if only to see what (if anything) is carried over from the concept.

ETA a surprising amount and in more muted colours, I think it looks good!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 7th August 2020 at 14:01.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

It is hideous

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Trigger not pulled ;) A bit disappointing tbh.

I nearly got one but site ended up being too busy to process the payment!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was ready to purchase but have to say it’s left me a little cold.

Am I seeing things correctly, the bezel appears to be smooth so how easy would it be to turn?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Initial batch now all gone. That was quick.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I nearly got one but site ended up being too busy to process the payment!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    you got lucky

Master
    Not too sure about this one, and glad I didn’t have my wallet near me. At above 2.5k gbp it’s fighting against Rado Captain Cook, Oris Diver or even a Black Bay 58

That said, all gone!

Blog Entries
    Against the tide here but I like it enough to give it a try.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Against the tide here but I like it enough to give it a try.
    Enjoy the purchase ! Do provide us with some pics please :)

I like it. Sensible size at 40mm too.

It's a release that will divide people - those who like 'dressier' divers and those who prefer a more 'tool' look. I'm in the former camp, tool divers leave me utterly cold. Anyway I'm a lucky one, ordered in time, so looking forward to it. Plus the bracelet will fit my other Ming watches which is a nice touch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's a release that will divide people - those who like 'dressier' divers and those who prefer a more 'tool' look. I'm in the former camp, tool divers leave me utterly cold. Anyway I'm a lucky one, ordered in time, so looking forward to it. Plus the bracelet will fit my other Ming watches which is a nice touch!
    I wondered whether you'd nab one! Looking forward to the pics.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im not blown away, but im not the target audience so thats fine.

I loved the little teaser watercolour paintings they were releasing on instagram though, I thought that was a great touch.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I wondered whether you'd nab one! Looking forward to the pics.
    Me too, I've got too many Ming watches now and many different bases covered, so one in one out policy for the brand (2701 apparently due early Sept).

The only thing I am hesitant on is the end link - Ming made a conscious design choice going with curved quick release end link as it still hugs the case as you would with a strap (the Abyss was fitted). I'm ok with it personally, but some may not like it. In any case, for sure this design of end link will work on my 19.01 - fitted end links wouldn't work with that watch.

Worst case scenario this lives on a NATO or one of my Jean Rosseau rubber straps :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done on the order Junaide, I also managed to get one in time. Ive moved into more casual watches (it seems) and so this will do nicely.

Never had to wait after paying though so the next few months might be tough : )

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Well done on the order Junaide, I also managed to get one in time. Ive moved into more casual watches (it seems) and so this will do nicely.

Never had to wait after paying though so the next few months might be tough : )
    Well done Kash!

You've owned a Ming so know in terms of quality this will be fab - but yea that wait for is going to be 'fun'

Those weird tapering lugs and ornamental crown surely are where they got the brand name from.

Blog Entries
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Ming Dive watch launching 7 August

Just not practical in anyway with such a lack of minute markers and a butterfly clasp on the bracelet!

Definitely a case of style over substance here and a fail in my eyes.

Of course, plenty of people are caught up in the hype with FOMO so not surprised it has sold out.
    Last edited by paw3001; 7th August 2020 at 16:49.

Not sure I understand the lack of fitted end links for this? The gap makes it look like an ill-fitting aftermarket, or the like:

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Just not practical in anyway with such a lack of minute markers and a butterfly clasp on the bracelet!

Definitely a case of style over substance here and a fail in my eyes.

Of course, plenty of people are caught up in the hype with FOMO so not surprised it has sold out.
    Worth reading the blog on it - https://ming.watch/blogs/news/three-...-the-18-01-h41

Basically in their view the 1, 5 and 15 are the most important elements for a diver - and the bezel countdown is sufficient. Minute markers not necessary. I'm not a diver, so don't ask me if it bs or not! Aesthetically none of their watches have minute markers.

On the bracelet - blog post says not designed to be worn over wetsuit - recommendation of rubber or NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Not sure I understand the lack of fitted end links for this? The gap makes it look like an ill-fitting aftermarket, or the like:
    I've made this point above - I think it'll look ok in real life because the bracelet has curved ends, not straight so will look as if it matches the case. It'll definitely look awesome on my 19.01, the pics on their other models are great. https://ming.watch/products/universal-bracelet

Hmm, bit of an oddity this one. Not for me, but I can appreciate the aesthetic and design.

It's refreshing to see something different to the usual big money fodder being discussed. That said this, and indeed all of this brand's watches, break my first rule of watch lusting/buying . . . I have to like what I'm looking at before spec, quality, price or anything else is considered.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

I actually like the watch head/bezel/dial but like my watches on a bracelet and the bracelet just looks to me like an afterthought and doesn’t go with the watch itself. Congrats to anyone that got one though and I’ll be looking forward to seeing more real life photos
    Dan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Interesting. Good to understand more of the thinking. Not a watch I'd buy, 17.06 is still the one for me, of their affordables at least.

I don't hate it. I'm glad it exists. It's more interesting than the usual suspects.

Not sure I'd ever buy one. But I wouldn't be put off by whether or not it's a legitimate tool watch.

Frankly nobody dives with watches nowadays, so the average dive watch is really a "diver-inspired" watch anyway. And that includes modern versions of watches that in the past were legitimately produced for, and used by, professional divers. The reasons I like the dive watches I own is that I like how they look, the water resistance is useful and the bezel is useful. I also find minute-markers useful, but sometimes I like a bit of minimalism too. This could at least sit in my collection and not look like yet another generic watch that's exactly the same as the others.

And regardless of whether it's a practical dive watch or not, I find it interesting that they put some real design effort into rethinking what a diver needs to be. They'll never be held truly accountable as to whether that design process was a success, because no professional diver will buy this as a necessary tool to do their job. But I appreciate the fact that they did it, even though they really didn't need to.

I can’t get past the lugs on Ming watches. Would look much nicer if they were straight. I imagine it makes it wear very large too.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I don't hate it. I'm glad it exists. It's more interesting than the usual suspects.

Not sure I'd ever buy one. But I wouldn't be put off by whether or not it's a legitimate tool watch.

Frankly nobody dives with watches nowadays, so the average dive watch is really a "diver-inspired" watch anyway. And that includes modern versions of watches that in the past were legitimately produced for, and used by, professional divers. The reasons I like the dive watches I own is that I like how they look, the water resistance is useful and the bezel is useful. I also find minute-markers useful, but sometimes I like a bit of minimalism too. This could at least sit in my collection and not look like yet another generic watch that's exactly the same as the others.

And regardless of whether it's a practical dive watch or not, I find it interesting that they put some real design effort into rethinking what a diver needs to be. They'll never be held truly accountable as to whether that design process was a success, because no professional diver will buy this as a necessary tool to do their job. But I appreciate the fact that they did it, even though they really didn't need to.
    Few dive with JUST watches, I'll grant you, but most divers I see have a watch on.

I'm not sure they're after the Apex quartz market with this one, though...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Can't see what all the excitement is about with Ming watches. I think they've all been horrible so far, including this one.

Craftsman
    I really like it, especially on the bracelet. I dn't dive so can't say I'm overly concerned about the practicalities of it.

Brave and different interpretation, sadly not for me (bluff, old traditionalist).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Although I wouldn’t buy it, I think it’s alright.

It’s very hard to come out with something unique in the dive watch space, and I think the Ming does deliver that. It isn’t the most practically designed diver, but being realistic about its use, that’s OK

Unique
    Keeps with their design aesthetic
    An interesting addition and different to the usual suspects

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Few dive with JUST watches, I'll grant you, but most divers I see have a watch on.
    I knew someone was going to make that point. What I was saying, perhaps not clearly enough, is that while they might be wearing a watch, they aren't using that watch as an essential piece of dive equipment (albeit I understand some may have it as a backup). And further to that, the really key point, is that none of them are going to go out and buy this watch because it's on the cutting edge of diving technology. Some might buy it because they think it looks cool and it won't implode under a few metres of sea water, but that's not the same thing.

Ming has obviously made his very own homage watch to De Bethune:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/phot...-bethune-db26/
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 7th August 2020 at 22:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post

Good to see a homage in the real sense rather than a blatant copy.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Those weird tapering lugs and ornamental crown surely are where they got the brand name from.
    Errr no, it's called Ming because the guy who started it is Ming Thein (who used to be a member here btw).

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Errr no, it's called Ming because the guy who started it is Ming Thein (who used to be a member here btw).

Simon
    He still is, you can't just leave.

Signature lugs that are a bit controversial seem to be mandatory (plus a sector dial)!

Good spot though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Quite right. What I should have said is he used to be an active member here

Simon

Wow, that article is pretty foreshadowing.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Worth reading the blog on it - https://ming.watch/blogs/news/three-...-the-18-01-h41

Basically in their view the 1, 5 and 15 are the most important elements for a diver - and the bezel countdown is sufficient. Minute markers not necessary. I'm not a diver, so don't ask me if it bs or not! Aesthetically none of their watches have minute markers.

On the bracelet - blog post says not designed to be worn over wetsuit - recommendation of rubber or NATO.

I've made this point above - I think it'll look ok in real life because the bracelet has curved ends, not straight so will look as if it matches the case. It'll definitely look awesome on my 19.01, the pics on their other models are great. https://ming.watch/products/universal-bracelet

As an actual PADI Master Scuba Diver which is only recreational and by no means professional. I would still stand by my opinion and call BS on there bezel response.

And I always dive with a watch as back up to my dive computer so it is important.

If this is just for Desk diving then call it the Ming Desk Diver

I like it. Love the lume on the mat bezel.

Blog Entries
    Just had notification that delivery will be January 21.

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Just had notification that delivery will be January 21.
    Mine's December - I know the 2701s are ahead of schedule, so fingers crossed for an earlier delivery!

More pics floating on IG with prototypes sent to the various blogs - I'm warming up to the bracelet end links. The aim to create a bracelet fit that looks like a strap I think does work on the wrist. Another comment was fitted end links made the watch head look massive (makes sense with the flared lugs), plus you have more rotation to hug wrists better.

On the bezel - the more I look at it, the more intuitive it seems. I think you'd be able to know where you are on the timer by just a visual glance. We still need to hear about the bezel action.

First hands on article!

Fratello mentioned they'd have a hands on article soon, and here we are! https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...-01-h41-diver/

Lots of questions enthusiasts have about the watch have been addressed. And lots of pictures next to a Submariner which is great for reference!

Have to say, I'm glad I had a dodgy wifi signal and didn't manage to complete the purchase in time. Seeing it in all it's glory in that article, and thanks for the link, I really don't like it.