closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garmin site hacked by ransomware

Craftsman

Garmin site hacked by ransomware

Looks like widespread issues with Garmin as their services and production are halted by an attack. I would imagine a risk to the millions of users whose details stored on their servers.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/garmin...omware-attack/

Not sure what information they have about me that would be any use to anyone? I’ve never bought anything through them. If it’s ransomware as reported then that’s a different leverage. My Garmin connect is just throwing me straight back out at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Not sure what information they have about me that would be any use to anyone? I’ve never bought anything through them. If it’s ransomware as reported then that’s a different leverage. My Garmin connect is just throwing me straight back out at the moment.
    Agree, don’t think it’s much to worry about for most users.

If it’s ransomware they may not have even stolen anything but obviously don’t use password on multiple sites (though encrypted anyway). Location information might be useful to a local thief...

If you have used the same password for Garmin and other sites, I would change it now on the other sites.

Depending which Garmin device you use, Garmin also know your home address, even if you didn’t buy your device from them.

In this type of ransomware attack, the attackers steal as much data as they can first, and ransom that, as well as shutting down the target systems.

The puzzling bit is that Garmin paid them and said it confirmed they destroyed the data.

How would you do such a thing?

It’s still not working.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It’s still not working.
    They are still counting out the $10 million ransom
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    If you have used the same password for Garmin and other sites, I would change it now on the other sites.

Depending which Garmin device you use, Garmin also know your home address, even if you didn’t buy your device from them.

In this type of ransomware attack, the attackers steal as much data as they can first, and ransom that, as well as shutting down the target systems.
    How do Garmin know your home address?

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The puzzling bit is that Garmin paid them and said it confirmed they destroyed the data.

How would you do such a thing?
    Where does it say Garmin paid them? As I understand it, as a US company, sanctions make it illegal for them to do so.

Grand Master
    I didn’t think ransomware took the data but simply encrypted it and the payment unlocks it again
    RIAC

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I didn’t think ransomware took the data but simply encrypted it and the payment unlocks it again
    It’s not unknown for data to be taken, or at least alleged to have been, for the crooks to put more pressure on the victim for payment by threatening release of said data.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    It normally does. However, once a hacker is into a system they can pretty much do whatever they want. But as the 'data' is likely to be significant in size and shared across multiple servers it would seem unlikely that they could have downloaded it and encrypted it without this being noticed.

If their IT staff are doing their jobs properly all the 'data' should be backed up with no direct networked contact with their 'live' systems. There should be no reason to pay a ransom in that event as it is a matter, (albeit a time consuming one), of formatting all live drives, (on servers and PC's), reinstalling operating systems, applications and data. There may be some slight loss of data, but that would depend on how regularly their backups were being taken.

Having said all that, if their IT staff were doing their job properly at all then they wouldn't have been hacked in the first place!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    How do Garmin know your home address?
    Some of their devices learn where you start your runs and journeys from.

Some of their devices learn where you start your runs and journeys from.
    And when you're likely to be out running, cycling or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Where does it say Garmin paid them? As I understand it, as a US company, sanctions make it illegal for them to do so.

Opps mixed them up with another hack in the same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

Having said all that, if their IT staff were doing their job properly at all then they wouldn't have been hacked in the first place!
    Could have been an inside job. Pretty hard to guard against that?

Not really, IF their IT staff know what they're doing - but the jury is out on that question. Even then, it should be relatively straightforward to effect recovery without paying a ransom; time consuming, but straightforward.
    Best Regards - Peter

No need for an inside job. The organised crime gangs and state agencies that do this kind of thing don’t need a willing insider.

The IT staff may well have been doing their jobs within the parameters given to them by the Board. The Board may have been too tolerant of risk and not spent enough money or accepted enough operational change. Also, every employee and supplier has to be vigilant against phishing and social engineering attacks, not just the IT team.

No need for an inside job. The organised crime gangs and state agencies that do this kind of thing don’t need a willing insider.

The IT staff may well have been doing their jobs within the parameters given to them by the Board. The Board may have been too tolerant of risk and not spent enough money or accepted enough operational change. Also, every employee and supplier has to be vigilant against phishing and social engineering attacks, not just the IT team.
    Indeed. 'Down To A Price' often trumps 'Up To A Standard' in many Boards, sadly! They usually find out the hard way, as I can attest from experience.
    Best Regards - Peter

infiltrate their IT supplier and rig up a few keyloggers inside Keyboards or USB headsets web cams etc....

find their lowest paid staff, offer them some extra dosh to leave some USB sticks lying around or inserted here and there

....its too easy. its not a question of IF you get hacked its when and how prepared you are to deal with it.

It’s now back up.

For those who remember when Sony were hacked. It was because a Sony USB stick was found in a reception area by a member of Sony security, who thought it was a good idea to plug it in to a PC to see if they could identify who had lost it. Unfortunately they used a networked PC and the rest as they say is history.

You don't need to bribe people or find a disgruntled IT nerd, all you need are a few smarts and poor IT security Policies.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I have had quite a binge on the Darknet Diaries which is all about cyber crime and social engineering. Surprisingly a lot of what they do is very very simple stuff like this. Pick a few high traffic doors, visit at night a pop through a usb stick with company logo on it.

Plus loads of other interesting stuff. Its well worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It’s now back up.

For those who remember when Sony were hacked. It was because a Sony USB stick was found in a reception area by a member of Sony security, who thought it was a good idea to plug it in to a PC to see if they could identify who had lost it. Unfortunately they used a networked PC and the rest as they say is history.

You don't need to bribe people or find a disgruntled IT nerd, all you need are a few smarts and poor IT security Policies.

Been an interesting month for high profile hacks. Both Garmin and Twitter. The really interesting thing is to see how they'll deal with it after. Garmin's ransom was $10 million, if they put a fraction of that budget towards security they'd be in a much better place.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Been an interesting month for high profile hacks. Both Garmin and Twitter. The really interesting thing is to see how they'll deal with it after. Garmin's ransom was $10 million, if they put a fraction of that budget towards security they'd be in a much better place.
    The interesting thing in both cases is the point of exploit was the human.

Twitter was social engineering and Garmin was phishing. In Garmins case there is a strong argument for better threat prevention, but the human will always be the weak link regardless.

Companies should spend as much money on education and awareness as they do technology.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Companies should spend as much money on education and awareness as they do technology.
    We get sent corporately generated phishing emails every so often and last year awards were given out for those who reported the most. So the powers that be must have a fairly accurate idea of how aware the workforce is at any one time.

Master
    Extract from todays Times
    Gangs of cybercriminals forced British companies to pay out more than £200 million in ransoms last year, experts have revealed.
    The extortionists, many from Russia or Eastern European countries, are targeting well-known businesses with malicious software and then charging them tens of millions of pounds to regain access to networks.
    Companies fearful of public embarrassment, lost data and fines from regulators are now showing “more willingness to pay the ransom”, experts said. It has allowed criminals to make an estimated £19 billion
    Gangs of cybercriminals forced British companies to pay out more than £200 million in ransoms last year, experts have revealed.
    The extortionists, many from Russia or Eastern European countries, are targeting well-known businesses with malicious software and then charging them tens of millions of pounds to regain access to networks.
    Companies fearful of public embarrassment, lost data and fines from regulators are now showing “more willingness to pay the ransom”, experts said. It has allowed criminals to make an estimated £19 billion

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    We get sent corporately generated phishing emails every so often and last year awards were given out for those who reported the most. So the powers that be must have a fairly accurate idea of how aware the workforce is at any one time.
    This, we have the same, mails varying in sophistication to lull you into saying 'obvious!' and then not spotting a sophisticated one, all links/attachments etc. lead you to 'you've been phished' & are logged, persistent 'clickers' are given retraining, my boss for one!

Rolex implicated in the Twitter hack - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/twit...-year-old.html

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Rolex implicated in the Twitter hack - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/twit...-year-old.html
    A kid whose tag was Rolex?