closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scratching the itch..

Apprentice

Scratching the itch..

Hi everyone,

New here and wanted to say hello. No idea if this is the correct sub forum to post.

I purchased my first “proper” watch when I was in my early twenties in my last year at uni - a blue Tag Monaco that was a bit of an impulse buy on a trip to New York. Only £800 back then!

Until recently this was my only (dress?) watch. In March of this year I was flying out from Heathrow and got offered a Tudor BB GMT (brown leather strap) after asking about a few watches at WoS waiting for my flight. I thought why not, so I made the purchase.

This has spurred my interest ever since and I find myself reading and watching lots of videos on watches. So here I am as a new member wanting to further my journey.

I find myself wanting to buy another watch and have gone through the motions of pining for a SS Rolex, realising they’re not available readily at retail and then wanting one even more. I have also recently been thinking of an omega seamaster 300 on a rubber strap, which I really like the look of. The omega would be more of a “cheaper” fix and something that I would probably feel more comfortable with.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about researching these watches? How did you decide on your next purchase? Is it really as simple as liking it and buying it

Cheers

Firstly welcome.

If there's a watch I'm thinking of buying I'll normally do a bit of research. Reviews tend to be mostly by sellers and positive, but if you can find someone who owns or has owned the same watch it's worth reaching out to them to see how their experience was. I also check out values on Chrono24 to see if the price I'm paying is competitive. For a particular watch I will also check out the seller, and if it's a vintage piece I may post asking what people think of the actual watch. I've avoided buying watches which with hindsight and expertise were obviously wronguns in this way.

I don't tend to ask for opinions as to whether I should buy a particular model - that's where knowing what you like comes in.

As it looks like you're in London I would pop into an Omega AD (might need to book an appt) and also into WatchFinder to try both on for size.

Someone here bought a SD43 and then sold it for the new Seamaster and is happier for it so it's totally up to you as to which is the better choice. If you do go for the Omega they will apparently be having a price rise on 1st September.

In terms of research (apart from here) I always go for as many YouTube videos as possible and real world pictures on Instagram via hashtags to try and get the best idea I can.

Master
    You have to buy what you like or want not something to fill the void. You will never be happy if you settle for less that goes for everything in life.

I am sure there are plenty of watches out there within reach that you would love to get your hands on start with those and keep adding on.

If you’re looking for advice...

Be careful about buying ‘sight unseen’. Dimensions only tell half the story, you may find yourself with a watch which feels too big / small or wears uncomfortably. Always try the watch on before committing to a purchase, if you can. Having said that, sometimes you have no choice if it’s not stocked in a store near you. This tends to be the case with pre-owned or discontinued watches but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome,

Discussing and researching watches often looks at the rational part of watch collecting. E.g. “I already have a diver or brand x so my collection needs something else”. However when I try on watches that part usually fades to the back and what makes me smile may actually be another diver or another watch from brand x.

So do your research big above all try on the watches you like, and try some others as well and you will probably know what to go for (or what to skip).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post

Be careful about buying ‘sight unseen’. Dimensions only tell half the story, you may find yourself with a watch which feels too big / small or wears uncomfortably. Always try the watch on before committing to a purchase, if you can. Having said that, sometimes you have no choice if it’s not stocked in a store near you. This tends to be the case with pre-owned or discontinued watches but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking for.

exactly, i often find even expensive watches can be annoyingly heavy on the wrist, uncomfortable or some other annoying thing that grinds your gears over time.

i bough a grand seiko without trying it and found out seiko are not good at making clasps for their price point

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    As it looks like you're in London I would pop into an Omega AD (might need to book an appt) and also into WatchFinder to try both on for size.

Someone here bought a SD43 and then sold it for the new Seamaster and is happier for it so it's totally up to you as to which is the better choice. If you do go for the Omega they will apparently be having a price rise on 1st September.

In terms of research (apart from here) I always go for as many YouTube videos as possible and real world pictures on Instagram via hashtags to try and get the best idea I can.
    That was me.

I would say to the O/P that you need to try everything before you buy(not easy with SS Rolex)

I wanted a Rolex SD43 for ages and bought one and it wasn't for me(another thread explained why) and bought an Omega and found it better for me.

So you don't always need to spend as much as you think to find the right watch.

Welcome and enjoy.

Now gone...

Replaced with...also bought the rubber strap last week but not got round to putting it on.

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome to those who have posted.

I’ll try and give you some insight into where I think I am currently and provide some further thoughts on some of the things mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I also check out values on Chrono24 to see if the price I'm paying is competitive.
    I recently discovered Chrono24’s app and have been adding lots to my watch list. I’m quite surprised by some of the values and wonder if private sales without the escrow protection would command the same values. Apparently my Tag WW2111 is worth c.£2k *shock*

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you do go for the Omega they will apparently be having a price rise on 1st September.
    I recently discovered this, perhaps on here and am wondering if I should try and buy one sooner rather than later. At the moment I am thinking of selling my Tag and buying a used seamaster 300m on rubber.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    You have to buy what you like or want not something to fill the void. You will never be happy if you settle for less that goes for everything in life.
    I couldn’t agree more. I was initially thinking of parking some cash in a Hulk but given my lack of experience in the watch market and the current economic climate, not sure if this is wise. I think it’s a knees jerk reaction to the Hulk potentially being discontinued if there is any truth to it and values going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post

Be careful about buying ‘sight unseen’. Dimensions only tell half the story, you may find yourself with a watch which feels too big / small or wears uncomfortably. Always try the watch on before committing to a purchase, if you can.
    I tried on a 44mm Speedmaster Moonwatch in Dubai and my god it was huge on my wrist. It felt much larger and heavier then it looked and didn’t hide it’s size well. So am thinking something smaller than this for sure.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Welcome,

Discussing and researching watches often looks at the rational part of watch collecting. E.g. “I already have a diver or brand x so my collection needs something else”. However when I try on watches that part usually fades to the back and what makes me smile may actually be another diver or another watch from brand x.

So do your research big above all try on the watches you like, and try some others as well and you will probably know what to go for (or what to skip).

Good luck!
    Thanks! Basically how I felt with the 44mm moonwatch. I always really liked the look of these but it just didn’t sit right on my smaller wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    That was me.

I would say to the O/P that you need to try everything before you buy(not easy with SS Rolex)

I wanted a Rolex SD43 for ages and bought one and it wasn't for me(another thread explained why) and bought an Omega and found it better for me.

So you don't always need to spend as much as you think to find the right watch.

Welcome and enjoy.

Now gone...

Replaced with...also bought the rubber strap last week but not got round to putting it on.

Could you share a link to your thread please? Navigating this forum is a right PITA on my phone and haven’t quite sussed it out yet.

Do you prefer the look/comfort of the rubber strap? I think they look much better, particularly with a deployment clasp.

Apprentice
    More generally speaking, my real concern is buying from the secondary market and getting conned. I have seen some YouTube videos with incredible fakes and I wouldn’t know where to start with authenticating a watch.

I’m guessing the advice here would be “buy the seller, not the watch” as I have read/heard

I’m pretty certain my Tag will have to be sold along with some other jewellery I hardly wear to make room for my next purchase. I just need to decide what it will be now!

Master
    Link for my choice of Omega over Rolex SD43 and it surprised me how many had sold the SD43.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ppointing+2019

Not really had much time to try it on the rubber and mine comes with the buckle.

I do normally prefer a bracelet but i tried one on with a rubber strap in the shop and it was very comfortable.

It is cheaper to buy it on the bracelet and then buy the rubber strap/buckle for £240.

If you want to try the Omega these are easy to find in most Omega AD.

Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Link for my choice of Omega over Rolex SD43 and it surprised me how many had sold the SD43.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ppointing+2019

Not really had much time to try it on the rubber and mine comes with the buckle.

I do normally prefer a bracelet but i tried one on with a rubber strap in the shop and it was very comfortable.

It is cheaper to buy it on the bracelet and then buy the rubber strap/buckle for £240.

If you want to try the Omega these are easy to find in most Omega AD.

Mark
    Thanks for posting the link to that thread, hadn't seen it & was v. instructive. Feels like it would be worth repeating every December.