closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A5 real leather notebook and other kit cover

Master
    Blog Entries

A5 real leather notebook and other kit cover

Anyone recommend one of these having owned and used one?

I’m looking at these but am sure a few TZers may have used others. Even open to offers to buy one if your selling!!!!

https://www.galenleather.com/cart

Jim

Funnily enough I’ve just received a pen case from them this week. Beautifully made and well priced for the quality. A nice family run business too- highly recommended by me
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DANH View Post
    Funnily enough I’ve just received a pen case from them this week. Beautifully made and well priced for the quality. A nice family run business too- highly recommended by me
    Dan
    Cheers Dan

Their kit looks good it seems

Jim

I’ve a few different sizes from Tanner Bates. Lovely things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Another reason why I love and hate this forum. Here is something else I hadn't really thought about, now all I want it a leather notebook case.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Another reason why I love and hate this forum. Here is something else I hadn't really thought about, now all I want it a leather notebook case.
    Glad to have been of thought leading pleasure good friend.

Let me know what you decide.

I’m going to plump for the one I mentioned above.

All the very best

Jim

Journeyman
    These notepads look really stylish. On a related topic does anyone recommend a nice pen? Preferably fine liner and quite slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    These notepads look really stylish. On a related topic does anyone recommend a nice pen? Preferably fine liner and quite slim.
    By fine liner do you mean rollerball? The waterman carene is a lovely pen....

(BTW - Love the look of the stuff in the first post, Very tempting!)

But it all depends on your budget....

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use the Montblanc fineliner (not rollerball) - pretty slim, range of colours. They can dry out if left too long between uses. In fairness, they aren't really THAT much better than a disposable Pentel fineliner but they have a wider range of colours.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again everyone.

Jim

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

But it all depends on your budget....

That is a nice looking pen. I’m thinking budget wise around the £200 mark, I wouldn’t really want to pay much more unless it was my dream pen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I use the Montblanc fineliner (not rollerball) - pretty slim, range of colours. They can dry out if left too long between uses. In fairness, they aren't really THAT much better than a disposable Pentel fineliner but they have a wider range of colours.
    Thanks I will check them out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Back to drawing board. Turns out Galen stuff ain’t very good.

So, any reasonably priced suggestions??

Jim

I’ve got a Belroy portfolio cover thing, bought it for my new job but since I haven’t been in the office yet I can’t comment on the durability etc (I went for black)

https://bellroy.com/products/work-fo...aramel#slide-0

Also had a milican version to cover an A5 moleskine. Very good quality but not much to it really (and it seems they don’t sell it any more anyhow...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Jim
    Did you end up buying one or heard it from elsewhere? I haven't ordered anything yet.

Jim
    Oh dear what happened? My pen case is good and they certainly seem well thought of among fountain pen collectors from what I’ve seen on forums.
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Guys
    Did my research on web and for these items they’re lower than low.

Can’t comment on other items so didn’t proceed. Unlike me to research items!! Yes, I know!!

Fair enough Jim, hope you find something suitable let us know how you get on

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dan

Popped into a local leather worker store yesterday. He’s going to price a bespoke one for me that’ll take an A5 book, iPad Pro, pen retainer, closing system eg elastic or pop stud, and business cards. I’ll let you know how I get on!

All the best!

Jim

Excellent Jim, always adds a little something when it’s bespoke too, you’ll have to let us know what it’s like if you go for it !
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    For sure Dan

Jim

Excellent Jim, always adds a little something when it’s bespoke too, you’ll have to let us know what it’s like if you go for it !
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    Update: to my spec and design, local leather worker making me one to hold A5 moleskin, iPad Pro, cards, pens and closure facility using fine grain leather.
    Well pleased
    Jim

Update: to my spec and design, local leather worker making me one to hold A5 moleskin, iPad Pro, cards, pens and closure facility using fine grain leather.
    Well pleased
    Jim
    Excellent approach, but for the effort it might be worth specifying better paper sources than Moleskin. Rhodia, among many others, will offer a quality befitting your new folio.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great shout JGJG and thank you. I say Moleskin when in fact I mean the freebies I get from my employer who avails us with nice quality books. I’m a cheapskate at heart!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Excellent approach, but for the effort it might be worth specifying better paper sources than Moleskin. Rhodia, among many others, will offer a quality befitting your new folio.

Well pleased
    Jim

Jim, I'm on the look out for a new cover for my diary, does your leather maker do other customised work ?

Also to add generally, I've had a few things from Tanner Bates which have been very good quality.

Well pleased
    Jim
    Good result then Jim ! Sounds spot on for you then
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Jim, I'm on the look out for a new cover for my diary, does your leather maker do other customised work ?

Also to add generally, I've had a few things from Tanner Bates which have been very good quality.
    He does indeed Zippy. I’ll pm you his email address.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good result then Jim ! Sounds spot on for you then
    Dan
    Proof will be in delivery Dan

PM me your email address and I’ll send pics once I get it!

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries

Jim
    Post here ... would also be interested to see.

Jim
    True
    Will do thanks Jim let me know when you get it, or stick a few pics on here too seems there’s quite a bit of interest! I’m definitely on the lookout for something similar
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi all

This is the email address of Sinan who’d be very pleased to hear from anyone on the forum seeking bespoke designed leather goods

I have no motive or benefit to gain other than sharing a worthwhile contact for us here on TZ.

workshopaftersixuk@gmail.com

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries

Wow!!

Today I picked up the handmade, leather folio from Sinan who made the item from my design.

It’s absolutely first class with high grade leather in tan colour - it should improve with use and time.

I’ve attached a link to the pics of the design plan and item ‘in the flesh.’ Very pleased indeed and he is happy to make others for anyone from here - or anything else you fancy too.

This design takes, on left hand side, my iPad Pro 9.7 with keyboard and cover still attached; a pop off business card wallet; a small and large sized credit card holder, and a pop open cable tidy loop where Apple Pencil can be held.

On the right side it has a pen holder; internal full length secret compartment and a retaining strap for an A5 book of moleskine style.

It has a wider spine for when all things are combined and is held closed by 2 pairs of pop studs in centre.

This is all very high quality and these can be obtained from Sinan workshopaftersixuk@gmail.com

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sdn8i9bu8...qMmnqfbpa?dl=0

Jim

Looks good Jim glad you’re pleased with it ! Just looked at his website everything looks great quality. Will definitely keep him in mind when I start looking for something similar or when it’s time for a new wallet, as like the look of those too
    Thanks for sharing the pics
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    No probs Dan

I mentioned watch straps to him so who knows!!

All the very best

Jim

Looks good Jim glad you’re pleased with it ! Just looked at his website everything looks great quality. Will definitely keep him in mind when I start looking for something similar or when it’s time for a new wallet, as like the look of those too
    Thanks for sharing the pics
    Dan

On the recommendation from Jim I contacted Sinan from 'workshop after six' to make me a bespoke leather cover for my Hobonichi Techo diary. I've just received it today and I'm delighted with it. Sinan and I worked on a design which would work for me and we eventually settled on a cover which would incorporate the diary, space for a Moleskin Field notes pad, pen, small wallet for card's receipt's etc and a cable holder. The quality of the leather and workmanship is top notch and the price for a bespoke leather item was very reasonable I thought.

So thanks to Sinan for his work and Jim for his help.

post pictures

Master
    Blog Entries
    Like the look of that very much Z. You’ve done well. He’s great to work with, isn’t he??

All the very best

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    On the recommendation from Jim I contacted Sinan from 'workshop after six' to make me a bespoke leather cover for my Hobonichi Techo diary. I've just received it today and I'm delighted with it. Sinan and I worked on a design which would work for me and we eventually settled on a cover which would incorporate the diary, space for a Moleskin Field notes pad, pen, small wallet for card's receipt's etc and a cable holder. The quality of the leather and workmanship is top notch and the price for a bespoke leather item was very reasonable I thought.

So thanks to Sinan for his work and Jim for his help.

post pictures

Like the look of that very much Z. You’ve done well. He’s great to work with, isn’t he??

All the very best

Jim
    Sinan could not have been more helpful during the process. Definitely one of the good guys.