Other places to look for watches

Apart from the usual,

eBay
    Chrono24
    Watchfinder
    WatchRecon
    SC
    Iconic

Anywhere else to keep an eye out for discontinued watches but not quite vintage?

I’m personally after a certain Nomos, and keep a watchful eye in the above. (1 was on Chrono24 but out of my budget).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any model in particular? what reference?..I know Berrysjewellers retail Nomos

Other places to look for watches

Catawiki, watch section?

Dutch: Marktplaats.nl

The Dutch and German forums (sales section) have to be member of course, but everyone speaks English.

Good Luck!

Google alert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nomos are regularly discounted at least 20% on various sites especially Jura/cw sellors
    Edit - more is probably achievable but I’ve never tried

I got mine from a private seller on chrono24 just need to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    Thanks it’s a Club Dunkel 36mm ref 704.

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk[emoji767
    ;5487236]Catawiki, watch section?

Dutch: Marktplaats.nl

The Dutch and German forums (sales section) have to be member of course, but everyone speaks English.

Good Luck!
    I’ll check those out also. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Thanks it’s a Club Dunkel 36mm ref 704.

I have one, picked it up on eBay about 15 months ago. They can be hard to find as they were discontinued a few years ago, but they do pop up occasionally.

You could always put up a WTB too

Master
    Edinburgh Watch Company?

Journeyman
    r/watchexchange on reddit can be useful although it tends to be mostly US sellers. Last Nomos Dunkel 36mm was sold on there about 1 month ago they were asking $1,099

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Edinburgh Watch Company?
    Only if you don’t mind paying way over the odds.

Craftsman
    If you’re on social media then one of the Nomos groups on Facebook and Facebook Marketplace.

Also be aware marktplaats.nl is full of fake stuff, tread carefully. Buy the seller and so on and of course more popular models are more often fakes here.

Journeyman
    Can anyone with experience of buying from Catawiki provide some information/advice please. I'm looking at a few auctions and trying to gauge the final amount I'll pay on top of the hammer price.

There's a 9% auction fee plus shipping charges (say £30). Let's say I win with a £500 bid, I make that a total cost of £500+£45+30=£575.

All fairly easy but it's customs/VAT that I'm clueless about. Many of the watches I'm looking at are from non-EU based sellers, what would be the customs/VAT implications in the above scenario? Is it as simple as 20% on the total cost above?

I'm just hoping to understand the full cost of any purchase instead of then having to add hundreds of pounds after the fact.

Any general thoughts from experience of buying from Catawiki would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance :)

You could try https://www.simplyduty.com

They allow you upto 5 calculations per day for free.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    You could try https://www.simplyduty.com

They allow you upto 5 calculations per day for free.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thank you Sickie.

Craftsman
    Try getting in touch with an AD as there was a thread on here about Nomos making a discontinued model from service parts for a new customer.
    Think it was through Berrys and they also gave a 20% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by 765 RS View Post
    All fairly easy but it's customs/VAT that I'm clueless about. Many of the watches I'm looking at are from non-EU based sellers, what would be the customs/VAT implications in the above scenario? Is it as simple as 20% on the total cost above?
    Yes - there will be 20% VAT on the total price (including shipping). There will also be a clearance fee charged by whichever courier clears the watch through customs and delivers it to you - allow between £8 and £15 for this, and be aware that this might be invoiced a week or two after the watch has been delivered to you!

There is currently no duty payable on single watches imported from outside the EU.

And, obviously, after 1 January 2021, this will presumably apply to watches sourced from anywhere outside the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post

And 20% off.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Yes - there will be 20% VAT on the total price (including shipping). There will also be a clearance fee charged by whichever courier clears the watch through customs and delivers it to you - allow between £8 and £15 for this, and be aware that this might be invoiced a week or two after the watch has been delivered to you!

There is currently no duty payable on single watches imported from outside the EU.

And, obviously, after 1 January 2021, this will presumably apply to watches sourced from anywhere outside the UK.
    Thank you PhilipK, this all corroborates what I've found online but it's good to get first hand confirmation.

Now need to not get carried away with any bidding!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 765 RS View Post

Now need to not get carried away with any bidding!
    Easier said than done. Bear in mind that it isn't like ebay where the auction finishes at the stated time. Catawiki works more like a normal auction with bidding continuing past the closing until no further bids are made. If you place your bid within 30 seconds of the closing time the auction will be extended by a further few (I think 3) minutes.

It caught me out the first couple of times.

Good luck.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Easier said than done. Bear in mind that it isn't like ebay where the auction finishes at the stated time. Catawiki works more like a normal auction with bidding continuing past the closing until no further bids are made. If you place your bid within 30 seconds of the closing time the auction will be extended by a further few (I think 3) minutes.

It caught me out the first couple of times.

Good luck.
    Thanks Wimm, yeah I read about the continued bidding and watched an auction to the end just to see it in action, in that one the time went up by 90 seconds each time a new bid was placed.

I like to think I have good self control so won't be going silly, just hope that I don't buy any duds! Hopefully will share on the forum any buys.

On that note apologies to McBeardy for completely hijacking this thread! Let us know how the search for your Nomos comes along.....as the owner of a Tangente I can highly recommend the brand; the sizing, aesthetics etc. really sing to me.