closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 16600

Grand Master

Rolex 16600

Ive had so many watches over the years,but recently ive made a real effort to reduce the collection,and having done that I can now get to wear the smaller collection so much easier.One of the watches that never really came to the front was the SD 16600!,but ive really grown attached to it again.I might give the RubberB a try,I have one but never really liked it..so if yours is on a RubberB lets have a look,if not lets still see yours.......

My 30 year old a little earlier...just feels and looks so good.

You can't go wrong with a 16600, to many the ultimate Rolex. I'm sure there are people who prefer a Submariner, but you have to put up with a cyclops in order to have a date and I'm sure a few purists (probably including myself) would put a shout in for the 1665, but at double the price of a 16600 it is out of range for a lot of people.

The fact that these can still be easily picked up between £6.5k and £8k depending on what's included is amazing value for money given the general Rolex madness.

Enjoy Paul, it looks good.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You can't go wrong with a 16600, to many the ultimate Rolex. I'm sure there are people who prefer a Submariner, but you have to put up with a cyclops in order to have a date and I'm sure a few purists (probably including myself) would put a shout in for the 1665, but at double the price of a 16600 it is out of range for a lot of people.

The fact that these can still be easily picked up between £6.5k and £8k depending on what's included is amazing value for money given the general Rolex madness.

Cheers Ken,the 5512 has taken a back seat!......for now at least.Yeah the 1665 is a beauty but as you said the price is the sting in the tail.
    I think this needs moving back into the collection proper tbh.

Loved mine for 3 years but recently let it go as wanted a GMTII.

Not sure if that was the right decision but can always go back!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
    Loved mine for 3 years but recently let it go as wanted a GMTII.

Not sure if that was the right decision but can always go back!
    And if you decide to,Lenlecs on sc is slowly becoming tempting.

Congrats! 16600 is such a great choice!

Here's mine. SEA-DWELLER 16600 blog

Enjoy!

I used to have one of these, sold it a few years ago. Really wish I’d kept it, great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    And if you decide to,Lenlecs on sc is slowly becoming tempting.
    I’m thinking about keeping it tbh Paul
    After seeing your post.

I got myself a full set tritium earlier this year, looks unpolished and was on my wanted list for a long time, even has the original case back sticker..

16600’s have always played second fiddle to the Submariner and somewhat left behind by the GMT’s of late, but for me it’s the perfect Rolex under £10k..

I love mine too, and it just edges out the 14060m for me, but I find that they do work well as an alternating pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

+1 on this! I do love my date sub but the 16600 does take it to another level

Such a lovely watch this one - this definitely will be going on my list

Enjoy it!

S

Lovely watches. I let a fantastic example go recently to help fund my Barakuda, but I do kind of miss it.

Interesting that these are still good value, and seem to have escaped any kind of price hike in recent years. I wonder why.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely watches. I let a fantastic example go recently to help fund my Barakuda, but I do kind of miss it.

Interesting that these are still good value, and seem to have escaped any kind of price hike in recent years. I wonder why.
    A possibility perhaps,people gravitate towards for eg a 14060 to quench the thirst for a sub,rather than jumping straight into the deep end although capable SD.
    For us lucky enough to have a few variants of the Sub is great,the SD does wear and look a little different at least,even tho my wife says they are all exactly the same!........I can see what she means tbh,but we know their not,or with that reasoning wed only have one watch to their 25 similar hand bags,not to mention all the shoes that are the same.

Banned
    The 16600 is my ultimate Rolex sports watch, ticks every box and having the date without the cyclops is its strongest point

Master

Rolex 16600

Having recently sold a 114060 I was really tempted by one of these as they are less “dressy” and more tool watch which suited me better. I love the chunkiness. I went a step further instead and got a Deepsea. Maybe I’ will get one of these one day too. Lovely watch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 24th July 2020 at 17:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodguy View Post
    The 16600 is my ultimate Rolex sports watch, ticks every box and having the date without the cyclops is its strongest point
    This is my view.

My 16600 would be the watch that I would choose if I could only have one; this in thankfully not the case, however.

Looks great, feels indestructible, no cyclops. Daily-wearing perfection !
    Last edited by gc52; 24th July 2020 at 18:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Congrats! 16600 is such a great choice!

Here's mine. SEA-DWELLER 16600 blog

Enjoy!
    Thanks, that's really good

I think these are amongst the best looking watches out there, I love them. The only downside for me was the size, I know it wouldn’t suit many here but if they were just a touch bigger I would have kept it. It’s nice to see my old one pop up here now and again, knowing that it’s in safe hands... brilliant watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I think these are amongst the best looking watches out there, I love them. The only downside for me was the size, I know it wouldn’t suit many here but if they were just a touch bigger I would have kept it. It’s nice to see my old one pop up here now and again, knowing that it’s in safe hands... brilliant watches.
    Being worn now and very happy with it, certainly no plans to let it go so you may see it pop up now again..

Master
    I think these are amongst the best looking watches out there, I love them. The only downside for me was the size, I know it wouldn’t suit many here but if they were just a touch bigger I would have kept it. .
    For me it is the perfect size. I traded a 2016 deep sea for a 16600, as I felt the DS was too top heavy.. but i would like to try the newer model DS with the new lug width, bracelet etc. I own 2 16600's ..one is always on a grey or Bond Nato. Great watches.

One of the best five digit models you can buy. I bought one from SC and ended up selling via SC as sadly my wrist is just too big. I've since got a SubC ND and SD43 but neither fully match what the 16600 offers. It's a shame I don't have the wrists for it but I'm always tempted when I see one on for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    One of the best five digit models you can buy. I bought one from SC and ended up selling via SC as sadly my wrist is just too big. I've since got a SubC ND and SD43 but neither fully match what the 16600 offers. It's a shame I don't have the wrists for it but I'm always tempted when I see one on for sale.
    The thing with Rolex 5 digit and I’m talking about Subs, GMT’s, Daytona’s and of course Seadweller’s is I think they suit most wrists, you obviously think it looks too small but Rolex hit a sweet spot with wrist presence in these references..

Journeyman
    I love my 16600. Was the first Rolex I bought over 15 years ago and still love wearing it. I love the simplicity of 16600 dial.

To me, its the perfect Rolex, understated and works as well on the beach or pub as it does in the office.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Master

Rolex 16600

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yeah Strange,
    I didn’t think it looks too small either. The ND that you since bought lug to lug is only slightly bigger isn’t it and it’s thinner?

I had a 16600 and if anything I thought it slightly on the big side, ended up part trading it for a 4 digit Sub and that fitted much better being a slimmer case. I would happily buy another 16600, but it is about the max size I would want to go to these days.

Miss mine badly!

The ultimate sports Rolex.

I’m with Wileeeeeey on this one... absolutely love the 16600 but was a touch too small and have settled on the 126600, having a larger wrist I am much happier with the size. It may not have the classic pre ceramic looks / charm but this side by side does show the not inconsiderable size difference.

If I can find a wrist shot of the 16600 it might not look small but it definitely felt it, coupled with the smaller dial it was a reluctant sale.

Gonna say it again though... the 16600 is right up there with the best.

Master
    Thickness is the only thing that puts me off a bit. Otherwise, they are lovely things.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeah Strange,
    I didn’t think it looks too small either. The ND that you since bought lug to lug is only slightly bigger isn’t it and it’s thinner?
    Not the best pictures but here is the Sub and SD43 on me. Craizeehair's pictures are much better. For me all 6 digits wear bigger than their measurements. Even the 214270 wears better on me than the 16600 did.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Thickness is the only thing that puts me off a bit. Otherwise, they are lovely things.
    I get what you mean,but I have to say its that extra thickness that actually makes it that extra special too,feels & looks a lot more watch for that little more.
    I wear my watches with a snug fit bracelet so not much movement on the wrist,it does stay put once the flip lock is in place.

Some very nice pics here too.....

There's a nice 16600 in the Watchfinder sale for £7995.

Master
    Fantastic watches and one of the best they have made.
    I have one of the last V serials and have no idea why they don’t command a higher price.
    I’ve said it before, grab one while you can!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

There have been quite a few available on SC recently, so maybe there's no rarity premium.

I don't know how many were manufactured, but is it because comparitively, there are quite a few available - compared with say 14060Ms or Kermits?

Master

Rolex 16600

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    There have been quite a few available on SC recently, so maybe there's no rarity premium.

I don't know how many were manufactured, but is it because comparitively, there are quite a few available - compared with say 14060Ms or Kermits?
    Yeap , maybe you are right. No stupid 3 year waiting list. If you look at the historic FS prices of the early sea dwellers , Deepsea (black dial) versions they have up crept up in the last 3 years . Grab em while they are semi sensible!

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 26th July 2020 at 10:34.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post

Quite possibly,and yet Id wager you would not see as many on the wrists of the many but rather the few,which goes against what might be true in terms of numbers made!.

I know several chaps with 16610s actually,few with 14060s,none with SDs,and yet we could flip that on here,well in terms of whats preferred,although I have all three inc a 5512.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 26th July 2020 at 10:41.

Master
    A cyclops on a SD is so wrong. The 16600 remains the absolute bargain of sports watch pricing too, they are bullet proof.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    A cyclops on a SD is so wrong. The 16600 remains the absolute bargain of sports watch pricing too, they are bullet proof.
    Agree with that one.

I have to differ re the cyclops as I have had the benefit of having owned and now have again a 1994 16600 SD , a 2010 116600 DSSD and a 2017 SD43.

The three are completely different and yes the 16600 is without shadow of a doubt a classic that can be worn comfortably for any occasion. IMHO the price for these are silly, (cheap wise) in comparison with other lesser Rolex models

The DSSD appears indestructible, has a great wrist presence and is a great piece of engineering.

My go to and daily wearer has to be the SD43 as the size, the comfort and the clear dial is perfect, especially with the cyclops as when you pass 55 yrs of age it is better for the deteriorating eyesight.

Regards.

Keith.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It's funny, and there's no logic, but the only SeaDwellers that I don't want are the 16600 and the 116660, having had the latter for a few years. I do have the 16660, 116600, 126600 & the 126660.
    I'd love a 1665 but prices are mental...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    It's funny, and there's no logic, but the only SeaDwellers that I don't want are the 16600 and the 116660, having had the latter for a few years. I do have the 16660, 116600, 126600 & the 126660.
    I'd love a 1665 but prices are mental...
    Did you find a big difference between the two iterations of DSSD? Apart from the small difference in clasp width I find them very similar.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Did you find a big difference between the two iterations of DSSD? Apart from the small difference in clasp width I find them very similar.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    In terms of both balance and aesthetics, yes. The older one just rankled on me for the few years that I had it due to the skinny bracelet. It also felt top heavy. The 126660 has solved all of that - for me anyway.

Journeyman
    Lovely looking watch

Blog Entries
    I will get another one day. Super rugged and great design - last of the 'tool' Rolex I think . Here was my 666 in natural environment - goodness I checked the shoot date - October 2003 - how time flies!

Master
    Nice thread and some lovely pics. I just love the proportions and balance. It's reminded me how little I wear mine...

Journeyman
    The size was exactly why I loved this watch. I also really liked the fact that it didn't have a cyclops. 43mm with cyclops just doesn't feel right to me. But then again, my wrists are small :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    16600 from around the 1999/2000. WITH lugholes.
    The best modern model Rolex has made IMHO.

Due to Broadband issues work today has been limited and so I have found my time by changing my watches every 20 mins or so. Today I have had 1675 GMT Master, 5513 Sub, 1665 Seadweller, Oysterquartz Daytona etc and once all back in the safe the one left on the wrist is the 16600. As had already been said it is the last of the tool watches that Rolex made and also in the Sub/Dweller family I think it is the coolest.

Journeyman
    My 16600 from 1991. It’s certainly my fav watch in the collection.

On holiday a in South Korea a few years back first time taking this guy for a dip since owning it so was a little nervous. Was totally fine of course. Don’t mind the mrs pretending to be a Bond girl.