closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone here an Osteopath?

Anyone here an Osteopath?

I’ve suffered from a bit of back pain in the past, generally after a day of working on the cars or bikes and bending over / crouching more than normal, but since lock down it’s been more frequent.
    I’ve been doing loads more cycling but also spending longer during the day sat at my home office desk.
    I’m conscious my working posture needs to improve. I have an old chair with very little adjustability so I’d appreciate recommendations in respect of good chairs. At the office we have Herman Miller Aeron’s which are great, but I want something a little more compact and a fair bit cheaper too.

Additionally, I keep seeing ads for those plastic arch shaped back stretchers - are they any good in general and if so, are which models are the best?

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

You might be better off standing - have a look at those height adjustable workstations. Raising the whole desk to a comfortable standing height is better for you. Sitting isn't good for a bad back.

I'm not an osteopath, but I'll give it a crack!
    ______

​Jim.

At work all the watchmakers use Håg Capisco 8106 chairs. People who've had a lot of back issues swear by them as they're extremely good at correcting posture once set up for the individual. Håg do a less expensive version in their Capisco Puls line which can be had for around £300.

HTH
    Gary

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I’ve suffered from a bit of back pain in the past, generally after a day of working on the cars or bikes and bending over / crouching more than normal, but since lock down it’s been more frequent.
    I’ve been doing loads more cycling but also spending longer during the day sat at my home office desk.
    I’m conscious my working posture needs to improve. I have an old chair with very little adjustability so I’d appreciate recommendations in respect of good chairs. At the office we have Herman Miller Aeron’s which are great, but I want something a little more compact and a fair bit cheaper too.

Additionally, I keep seeing ads for those plastic arch shaped back stretchers - are they any good in general and if so, are which models are the best?

Thanks in advance.
    Have you been stretching your hamstrings after riding your bike??
    Tight hamstrings and a stiff back go together.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input.

I have just started doing a bit of stretching most nights before bed time. Hopefully that will help with the back as well as flexibility in general.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'm not an osteopath, but I'll give it a crack!
    Classic. Love your work.

Master
    I use a Herman Miller SAYL for working, it’s more compact and cheaper than the Aeron but seems to do the job and the design looks good. The trick is actually bothering to sit in it properly of course. I sold one of my two for a couple of hundred and they come up on eBay regularly, as they’re popular with offices. That said the ones currently for sale are very boring looking, you can spec them to look pretty cool, black and white works well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to be a physio, so I would preface advice by saying it is best to get properly assessed. But both sitting and riding a bike mean your lower/lumbar spine is flexed backs often don't like being flexed for long periods (the same can be true of being extended for too long). As well as your evening stretches, something as simple as getting up regularly and stretching/changing position may help - setting a half-hourly alarm, for example, will remind you.

Hope it improves soon

ATB

Jon

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Finding a good osteopath is back-breaking work...

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Andy,

I live in London and I can recommend a good chiropractor (similar to an osteopath) who is based in Fulham, if that would work for you.

PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks

Master
    Why not see a physio (rather than an osteopath or chiropractor)? Physiotherapy is evidence-based.

Journeyman

Thanks in advance.
    I got a barely used Humanscale chair recently which i'd recommend

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I used to be a physio, so I would preface advice by saying it is best to get properly assessed. But both sitting and riding a bike mean your lower/lumbar spine is flexed backs often don't like being flexed for long periods (the same can be true of being extended for too long). As well as your evening stretches, something as simple as getting up regularly and stretching/changing position may help - setting a half-hourly alarm, for example, will remind you.

Hope it improves soon

ATB

Jon
    This ^^

I’m a qualified Pilates Instructor, we all spend so much time in flexion but little in extension, you need to balance this out and look at some light extension exercises, plus anything to stretch out posterior chain muscles such as hamstrings, but also focus on balancing muscles, so cycling being quad heavy needs you to balance and redress with a posterior chain workout too. We all need balance and harmony within our bodies.