closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the latest Hodinkee LE.....

Introducing the latest Hodinkee LE.....

Drum roll everyone, it's a..................travel clock

This bad boy of an LE of only 96 will cost you $5900 - except it's already sold out

Honestly, who uses a travel clock - and it doesn't even look that exciting. Boring. Hodinkee trying to sell it as an object of art. Anyway, they found 96 buyers, so well done to them. I doubt I'd be friends with any of those buyers.....

https://limited.hodinkee.com/hodinkee/

And if you're so inclined to join the waiting list - https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...31724511854667

I laughed when I saw that, and then I saw the price. Comments are turned off on both the main hodinkee page and the hodinkee shop page for the announcement posts. No surprise. The IWC Sellita comments were a blood bath, this would have been way worse.

Craftsman
    Yes. I often think they should rename the site hoodwinked.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Was that $59.00?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Maybe it comes with a free teasmade?

That looks like something you used to get by collecting petrol station tokens in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I laughed when I saw that, and then I saw the price. Comments are turned off on both the main hodinkee page and the hodinkee shop page for the announcement posts. No surprise. The IWC Sellita comments were a blood bath, this would have been way worse.
    Oh... link?

Crazy

The feedback on social has been damning and many people not complimentary about the whole set up these days

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    They always do that on the site for new releases.

More tellingly they turned off comments on IG. However go view the newest IG post from them about the new analog frogman - fantastic!

And also look at shameonwrist’s post on it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I particularly like the video of the complete douche sipping his coffee whilst he wistfully contemplates why he spent $5900 on a totally outdated object of no purpose any more that looks like it could have been bought by greenshield stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I particularly like the video of the complete douche sipping his coffee whilst he wistfully contemplates why he spent $5900 on a totally outdated object of no purpose any more that looks like it could have been bought by greenshield stamps.
    Ha! I noticed the same!

Fools and their money comes to mind.

It is just basically just advertising for its own shop. No objectivity or credibility nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Fools and their money comes to mind.

It is just basically just advertising for its own shop. No objectivity or credibility nowadays

You can't really blame them with the LEs, especially with this as it's their own branded product.

I have noticed Hodinkee are quite wary about this conflict - editorials written by the site and shop are totally independent teams and they label which is which very clearly. This is especially important as they've become ADs for several brands. I still enjoy a lot of their content, just bear in mind some of their targetted audience.

The alarm is horrifying !

Craftsman
    The response on IG is hilarious and entirely predictable. Love the Grey NATO guys but Hodinkee are constantly high on their own supply.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Do you have to collect it from your nearest Argos?

£50 down a local antiques shop and you will get an original.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Horrendous...it's like a wasp stuck in a match box.

For that money I'd prefer an Atmos and spend the change on a Braun alarm clock
    Last edited by Rob; 23rd July 2020 at 22:37.

You just know someone will be stupid enough to leave one in a hotel room...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Oh... link?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_SXP8lr6k/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_SWQjjsdu/

They heavily moderated the IWC comments so nothing to link to now. Positive comments are all that remain...

Franklin Mint would be proud of the advertising copy. Who knew 'Hodinkee grey' was a colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    You just know someone will be stupid enough to leave one in a hotel room...
    Probably the cleaning lady will pick it up and give it to one of her grandkids.

More column inches given to the font used on the dial than the movement running the thing. Telling.

It’s a shame most of these websites seem to like everything released as well. Maybe a policy to please sponsors but most reviews are just not critical.

Ridiculous, indulgent tosh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Drum roll everyone, it's a..................travel clock

This bad boy of an LE of only 96 will cost you $5900 - except it's already sold out
    Shark well and truly jumped.

I honestly wouldn't have believed there were 96 people mad enough to pay THAT for THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    More column inches given to the font used on the dial than the movement running the thing. Telling.
    So true - I kept looking at the watch puzzling over this amaze-balls font and don't get it. It looks....boring. Maybe that is the archetypical Hodinkee buyer - non-offensive, boring grey.

I continue to enjoy a certain amount of what they put out; Forster is a great writer, and must have a brain like a warehouse. Some of the Talking Watches video are genuinely great too; who’d have thought there’d be a video series about watches featuring Mario Andretti, Jack Nicklaus, Don McLean, etc? Likewise the videos about the Vietnam Tudor (and Moki’s Talking Watches).

However, it’s a shame that Clymer doesn’t write articles any more, and Hodinkee has generally felt very commercial for a couple of years or more. Some of the LEs have been cracking (Skipper TAG, grey dial steel Cornes Des Vaches, manual wind Oris 65)... but this strikes me as absolute tat, flogged at a high price. Ok, I’m not interested in mechanical alarm clocks (I have my phone for that... yes yes I know people say that about mechanical watches), but those who are interested in such things say (on Instagram) that it’s a horrid sounding alarm, and more expensive than stuff with genuine collector value.

The website survived the $12,000 hourglass, so I’m sure it’ll survive this, but it’s not a compelling product - and if I worked there I‘d be a bit embarrassed by it.

If they’ve found a way to make money in modern media (they have), then I’m genuinely happy for them - but if they want to keep their good name, they’d be wise to make sure everything with their name on is quality (or cheap and fun like their Swatches).
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 24th July 2020 at 08:55.

Master
    I used to have a mechanical travel clock when I was a kid, given to me by my father, so I can understand the nostalgia potential and can see how they got sucked into this project. There are tons of them on ebay, all for about £10 and all of them more appealing than this one, which has turned out to be utterly charmless. You can imagine it tuning up in shops around Christmas as an unloved potential gift, with an inflated price tag of £49-149, and later on in the sales.

What really gets me is the hands, which just scream cheap and nasty. It’s a pity, as their previous SE collaborations have generally been well considered and tasteful, working with a watch brand and finding a gap in their collection that made you wonder why the brand hadn’t thought of it themselves. It seems they’ve some way to go in designing things from the ground up under their own name though. I’d be curious to know what sort of idiot would buy such a thing.

Whenever I see something ludicrous that clearly has no value that sells for an astronomical price, I don't know why but I immediately jump to 'money laundering' as the only logical explanation.

The critical mind is a lonely place to exist, I wish it weren't the only place devoid of cognitive dissonance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Horrendous...it's like a wasp stuck in a match box.

Reminds me of the noise you hear when passing an electricity substation

Journeyman
    Starting to think it was just a publicity stunt to drive traffic to their websites.

Rarely has so much been written about so little. Love this little gem..."In fact, our collective approach to packing is basically the lighter, the better. A watch on our wrist, a camera over our shoulder, and the clothes on our back are all we really need." No spare pants then.

I really don't think they have sold 96 of these to real people. I don't believe there are 96 people on the planet who have had the nous to amass a spare $5,900 who would spend it on this. On the off-chance that there are, can I have the mailing list please?

Grand Master
    I just dont get you guys,someone sits down and designs a timepiece wed all love to have in our travel bag(when we can travel),it can be used at home too,infact just about everywhere its so versatile.
    I will be trawling all the usual places to source one of these,yes I agree ill have to and expect to pay a premium for such a piece but well worth it.
    If anyone on here decides to flip theirs please get in touch,I may have found one in the mean time so would obviously have to decline the offer......one is all id need,unless the Wife decides to travel alone.

I see that when talking about the clock, most of the sales pitch revolves around the fact they designed a 'new' font for the clock. You know the thing has no substance when the main selling point is a flat topped 'A' on a small word on the dial.

Master

Fits with the wise sophisticated grandad look they love at Hodinkee, 35yr old going to 55.

Also wouldn’t this spend most of its time in a hotel safe? Or perhaps it looks cheap enough that nobody would think to steal it anyway.

Could it be an illusion of being sold out or would that contravene trade descriptions?

Selling limited runs at high mark up is trying create your own niche brand, perhaps they think they are the next Fabergé/Tiffany/Asprey..

You know the thing has no substance when the main selling point is a flat topped 'A' on a small word on the dial.
    Sod the Rolex flat 4, we've got a flat topped 'A'...

I had to think twice when I bought myself a lovely 8-day Lemania travel alarm clock from the 1930s.
    But it only cost me £200.
    The fact that it is superior to this thing in every single measurable way, at about one thirtieth of the cost, is hilarious.
    And no, I have never used it, but I do love playing wiht it, the single crown winding and setting is a magnificent process, and the movement gorgeous to behold.

You have to applaud Hodinkee, they seem to have made a bulletproof brand that can fleece millions from gullible acolytes.

D

Perezscope already posting the movement scandal for this as well

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Could it be an illusion of being sold out or would that contravene trade descriptions?
    They are based in the USA - consumer protection laws are so weak as to be largely meaningless.

Master
    With regard to being sold out, if you read on through their description they say that only 96 will be built. They go on to say: "We've secured a number of clocks for immediate delivery today, and more will be coming in shortly."

To me, this means they've built a small number to test the market and these are the ones that have all sold; and if there's sufficient interest I'd bet that future batches will be produced only when they've enough people on their waiting list to guarantee they'll be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I just dont get you guys,someone sits down and designs a timepiece wed all love to have in our travel bag(when we can travel),it can be used at home too,infact just about everywhere its so versatile.
    I will be trawling all the usual places to source one of these,yes I agree ill have to and expect to pay a premium for such a piece but well worth it.
    If anyone on here decides to flip theirs please get in touch,I may have found one in the mean time so would obviously have to decline the offer......one is all id need,unless the Wife decides to travel alone.
    Surely this is a joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Perezscope already posting the movement scandal for this as well

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yep.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDBTl1MH-Mw/

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    With regard to being sold out, if you read on through their description they say that only 96 will be built. They go on to say: "We've secured a number of clocks for immediate delivery today, and more will be coming in shortly."

To me, this means they've built a small number to test the market and these are the ones that have all sold; and if there's sufficient interest I'd bet that future batches will be produced only when they've enough people on their waiting list to guarantee they'll be sold.
    You've just beaten me to it, after spending some time reading the full article and listening to the video of the alarm in disbelief.....I came here to question a claim that these were already 'sold out'.....I expect they've secured about five for immediate delivery....is that what they mean by 'sold out', they surely can't have sold all 96 at $5900 already when it invites you to join a wait list....unless it's for when they find themselves with 93 returned under distance selling regulations.

Master

Thanks for the link to perezcope, they are getting killed on Instagram on the $6k travel clock, thoroughly deserve a good kicking. Some close up of the non existing finishing and the very poor case work.

Apprentice
    This is just embarrassing and, to be honest, unfortunately quite telling of the state of Hodinkee 2020.

Reminds me of the Braun alarm clock in the 1980's, whereby you just had to say 'Stop' to cancel the alarm.

Trouble was, the ticking was so loud I could never get to sleep with it in the same room!

That said, it wasn't 6k.

That looks like something you used to get by collecting petrol station tokens in the 80's.
    Precisely my thoughts although I was thinking more of the tokens you used to get in packs of cigarettes

Journeyman
    Insane, and not only the price..