closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2020 Mitsubishi ASX 4x4

Master

2020 Mitsubishi ASX 4x4

I've been looking at these recently, although an older design they are reminiscent of the classic Shogun if shrunk in the wash.

Any owners here?
    Or thoughts about them in general?

I quite fancy one, I loved the Mitsubishi cars I've owned in the past, a VR4 Galant and EVO-X, I know this one isn't a speed machine, but that suit me fine, my 'racing' days are over now that I have SWMBO and 2 teapots to keep safe.

Opinions, alternatives welcome chaps.

Craftsman
    I owned an original ASX - a 2011 plate ASX 3.

Very much enjoyed the ownership, it was a well priced alternative to it’s main competitor the Qashqai at the time and I got mine as an ex-demo with a cracking discount because Mitsubishi were losing sales to the more popular Nissan.

The petrol 1.6 was solid, reliable for 55k miles over 5 years and I always managed roughly 50mpg on long runs, although it was a little underpowered for it’s weight and size.

The only thing that put me off a bit was that the checkstrap in the door broke just outside of warranty and it cost a packet to repair as the door needed welding.

I did have the 2.2 diesel AWD model for a courtesy car at one point and while the auto gearbox was incredibly laggy, the amount of pull was excellent. Same engine they were putting in the Outlander at the time.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Blog Entries
    Not a great review from Carwow - who are usually pretty accurate.

z

They're like most Mitsubishi models, always reviewed as pretty dated and boring.

But having had five Shoguns I can attest they do what's intended and are dependable and bulletproof. Looked at the ASX myself as a small SUV and it just wasn't big enough but I'd have no hesitation otherwise. They tend to come pretty discounted due to the lack of interest so bargain hard.

Journeyman
    Had an ASX 2011 in the past and it felt quite lightweight and tinny - loads of gadgets, was cheap enough but wouldn't buy again

Looks like Mitsubishi are pulling out of UK and Europe new car markets.

https://www.am-online.com/news/manuf...n-with-dealers
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

WTF! I’d have thought sales of the L200 pickup alone would’ve kept them here.

Blimey, and the Outlander PHEV has sold tons and tons over here.

A couple of friends who have them swear by them.

I am shocked.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Read yesterday the reasoning is for them to concentrate on the SE Asian market where they have around 7% market share compared to just 1% in Europe or North America.

Still a shocker though, we've had a Shogun in the family pretty much constantly since 1984!

Master
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

But I've heard the news of Mitsubishi pulling out of the UK. Therefore, the follow up question is.............
    Any suggestions for an alternative to the ASX in the same price range?

Currently I'm looking at Lexus, possibly an NX.

Once again very open to ideas. Will post what I buy as and when

Blog Entries
    ... despite this latest ASX looking a lot different to the previous one, it’s actually pretty much the same car underneath, yet these days faces much fiercer competition from the likes of the Seat Arona, Volkswagen T-Cross and Mazda CX-30.
    Suggestions from Carwow

z

Craftsman
    Would suggest the Suzuki Vitara, test drove the top spec ASX also at the time and didnt like it. Vitara is 4 years old now without an issue

Don't write an ASX off as there'll be plenty support going forwards both official channels and independents, and under £20k heavily discounted it's a decent buy.

The Mazda is a good VFM brand with the CX-3 at a tad more than the ASX and the bigger Mazda CX-5 in the mid/late £20k mark, the Lexus NX will be around £33k minimum so another level up.

Hit CarWow and Autotrader to get some ideas, on the latter a good search is mileage "less than 100 miles" as you'll find all the dealer pre-reg delivery miles stuff at serious discount.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Any suggestions for an alternative to the ASX in the same price range? Currently I'm looking at Lexus, possibly an NX.
    If you think they're "in the same price range" you're in for a rude awakening.

I seriously considered a new ASX earlier this year as I was in the market for a cheap petrol 4x4 and choices are very limited. I ruled it out on the basis of the headroom, which is very poor for someone 6'4". Ended up buying a Panda 4x4, which despite its pocket dimensions has headroom to spare.

I love the NX, and having driven Lexus/Toyota hybrids exclusively for the last decade would have been my money-no-object choice.

Missed an earlier post mentioning the same observation. So deleted..