closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Losses

Job Losses

I’m currently in scope for redundancy and my employer is currently undertaking collective consultation.

We’ve been told 2000 job losses in the U.K. out of a workforce of 7400, so that’s 27%. If I’m chosen I think there’ll be no new employment for 2 years minimum (everyone in the same sector (O&G) is laying off), but I’ll be cushioned somewhat by a hopefully generous severance.

Not all due to COVID, but it certainly has significantly ramped up the numbers.

How’s it for you? If you are not under direct threat, how confident are you feeling about your employment going forward?

I’m feeling that the whole COVID saga is going to create a sh1tstorm, not only when furlough come to an end, but for years to come as employers realise they can shift work to any location.

Batten down the hatches.

I'm self employed as a motion graphics person, so I produce animated videos for marketing purposes generally, and my work ended completely at lockdown as marketing is often seen as superfluous and a major area to cut back on in times of economic downturn, and much of my work comes via video production companies who were unable to operate themselves.

I'm thinking I will get qualified as an electrician to give me a few options in the future (I'm also at university studying to become a psychotherapist though have 2 years left before I qualify). Feeling in turmoil with it all, but it will all come out in the wash, I hope.

Double whammy come 01/01/2021...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I’m fairly confident that I’ll always have a role. The work I do will always need to be done. My employer has circa half a million employees in the U.K. but who knows. I’m very lucky to be honest.

Blog Entries
    Yep I had my consultation meeting yesterday and then I have to wait till September 3rd while I am on furloughed , worrying time for many

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I'm self employed as a motion graphics person, so I produce animated videos for marketing purposes generally, and my work ended completely at lockdown as marketing is often seen as superfluous and a major area to cut back on in times of economic downturn, and much of my work comes via video production companies who were unable to operate themselves.

I'm thinking I will get qualified as an electrician to give me a few options in the future (I'm also at university studying to become a psychotherapist though have 2 years left before I qualify). Feeling in turmoil with it all, but it will all come out in the wash, I hope.
    I think getting a hands on skill such as electrician, plumbing etc is a good call as there always seems to be a demand for these trades.

Master
    Were I work high Education has problems they want voluntary redundecies and if they don't get enough they will be compulsory.
    I can't see getting another a job being easy I think the country was fuc-ed before covid and wasn't far off a recession anyway and retraining as a tradesman isn't garenteed as in the last crash there were thousands of brickies plumbers and sparks on the dole cos no houses were being built

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Were I work high Education has problems they want voluntary redundecies and if they don't get enough they will be compulsory.
    I can't see getting another a job being easy I think the country was fuc-ed before covid and wasn't far off a recession anyway and retraining as a tradesman isn't garenteed as in the last crash there were thousands of brickies plumbers and sparks on the dole cos no houses were being built
    Yeah I get you, my intention was to be the kind of electrician who goes around installing electric gates, electric car charging outlets, smart home stuff, cctv, etc., rather than working on site, though I appreciate when site work dries up those electricians do start diluting the work available to those doing home works. Just trying to balance things out in various directions as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    How’s it for you? If you are not under direct threat, how confident are you feeling about your employment going forward?
    My main job is working in Higher Education and the sector is a lot more shaky than people think - come September, I'll be either alright for another year at least or out on my... I'm just glad I've got no mortgage, no car on finance and no kids.

Oddly my consultancy business has continued to be busy.

Master
    We’ve just been through this at work and fortunately enough people chose the VR option to avoid the need for any compulsory redundancies.

Not good times for anyone going through this.

Yeah I get you, my intention was to be the kind of electrician who goes around installing electric gates, electric car charging outlets, smart home stuff, cctv, etc., rather than working on site, though I appreciate when site work dries up those electricians do start diluting the work available to those doing home works. Just trying to balance things out in various directions as best I can.
    As last time - all the site installation electricians etc, who were laid off - turned their hands to repairs etc.

Don’t expect them to do anything different this time.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I’m currently in scope for redundancy and my employer is currently undertaking collective consultation.

Not all due to COVID, but it certainly has significantly ramped up the numbers.

Almost completely due to the oil-price crash.

I'm afraid more and more people will be made redundant in the coming months as the full effects of what has happened start to show.

Worrying times for so many people and unfortunately I think it will get worse before it gets any better.

Job Losses

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Almost completely due to the oil-price crash.
    Which was caused by COVID given this caused an oil, gas and refined fuels demand crash.

But also don’t underestimate the major oil companies transition to low carbon.

Significant new exploration and multi-billion dollar projects in new basins are gone forever.

I work in the Aerospace/Defence industry and our small business has just announced 45 redundancies, that’s nearly a third of the workforce. The business is in a rural area and the chances of walking into another job are practically zero, worrying times indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I think getting a hands on skill such as electrician, plumbing etc is a good call as there always seems to be a demand for these trades.

I have a trade,small business and demand is a right nuisance, when the corona hit i just stopped, used the virus to have a break,70 days straight but now im back, have hiked the rate 3 times and the phone is still ringing.A lot of people seem to be spending well and with impunity, mates who are also trade are under pressure to turn it out, its like it never happened,in fact its better.

it has taken a long time to build this up but its great at minute.

My business is commercial garden maintenance (schools, flats), we have worked all the way through the year and I have taken on a another member of staff ( total 8 ) due to extra demand.

It’s not a boom or bust industry more of a plodder and in the 29 years I’ve worked through various recessions without being affected.

The one area affected this time around for some gardeners will be the grounds of office buildings where a large proportion of tenants may not return and subsequent budgets cut.

I'm facing imminent compulsory redundancy along with about 270 pilots at my company and rumoured to be up to 12,000 total employees. Airline unions operate 'last in first out (LIFO)' policy which bizarrely means that the company is forced to get rid of the cheapest pilots first. It's weird to think that little over 6-months ago in my old job, I was one of a select few captains that were responsible for flying the prime minister and other cabinet ministers around and very soon I could be in the dole queue with no direct qualification to do anything skilled and in demand.

I was reading a scary article in the Telegraph today highlighting that the long term future might not look rosy for all those that short-term keep their jobs and work from home...when location is proven to not be an issue companies can look to employ cheaper employees from abroad working remotely.
    Last edited by Christian; 23rd July 2020 at 17:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Same here, which one you at, I’m at the sporty one near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm facing imminent compulsory redundancy along with about 270 pilots at my company and rumoured to be up to 12,000 total employees. Airline unions operate 'last in first out (LIFO)' policy which bizarrely means that the company is forced to get rid of the cheapest pilots first. It's weird to think that little over 6-months ago in my old job, I was one of a select few captains that were responsible for flying the prime minister and other cabinet ministers around and very soon I could be in the dole queue with no direct qualification to do anything skilled and in demand.

I was reading a scary article in the Telegraph today highlighting that the long term future might not look rosy for all those that short-term keep their jobs and work from home...when location is proven to not be an issue companies can look to employ cheaper employees from abroad working remotely.
    Sounds like you’re at BA...tough times ahead for the whole industry by the sounds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Sounds like you’re at BA...tough times ahead for the whole industry by the sounds of it.
    Yes, ironically chose the job for security...never made a pilot redundant in their history...through Gulf War 1, September 11 and the Great Recession!

There are people in a worse position than me...young guys who took out £100,000+ training bonds and have been told they will lose their jobs and still be liable for the training loan. They hold very limited licences until they get 1500 hours, so outside of their sponsor airline, it's not even transferable. Poor guys and girls.
    Last edited by Christian; 23rd July 2020 at 17:29.

I'm a Headteacher, so probably pretty secure at the moment, but I truly feel for those who aren't.

I am involved with and sit on the board of some Teacher Training Schools. One thing that might be worth bearing in mind for some, is that there is a rapid uptick going on right now in enquiries from people looking to retrain as teachers.

This is, at least for the profession, a good thing as there has been a cronic shortage of teachers since Michael Gove's tenure as Education Secretary ten years ago, and there are jobs about (even though school budgets have been slashed in real terms).

It isn't, despite what the Daily Mail would have you believe, an easy profession though and not for the faint-hearted. It is still a very noble and fulfilling one though.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    My fear is the realisation of off shore costs. I’m in consulting & just hope the board realise that the global team have a selection of skills & knowledge that you just can’t ‘learn” off shore.

If they look at simply an hourly cost then it becomes a whole different scenario. We have made some redundancies already, and rather quietly too, which doesn’t build trust.

Every time I have a call with my boss I fear the words coming from him.

Master
    My company is still selling, hiring and thus, on the face of it, I shouldn't be worried.

But I am.

I've put enough by to keep me going for a bit and the sector is a strong one, but I think these are very unpredictable times.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post

Without derailing the thread - *next summer* will be a real bloodbath - it's an open secret with HE managers that next year the government will introduce metrics that will wipe out a lot of degree courses at a stroke. So we'll have a wave of layoffs this year and next year the same.

Journeyman
    Yes, ironically chose the job for security...never made a pilot redundant in their history...through Gulf War 1, September 11 and the Great Recession!

There are people in a worse position than me...young guys who took out £100,000+ training bonds and have been told they will lose their jobs and still be liable for the training loan. They hold very limited licences until they get 1500 hours, so outside of their sponsor airline, it's not even transferable. Poor guys and girls.
    Wow, that will be a tough swallow, feel for them

Hi,

I was made redundant a month ago, after 13years selling Ski Clothing and Outdoor Footwear to retailers. I was (& still am) absolutely gutted, as this was a fantastic job and the only one during my almost 40 years of employment that I can truly say that I have enjoyed.

Covid and the huge downturn in retail business was the reason given, but I think that companies are going to use this time to slim down their operations and diversify (my former employer wants to move away from Wholesale and go to more Direct to Consumer selling)

My industry is small and so, I'm not sure if I'll be able to secure another job in it, so it could be a time for me to think about other options.

I agree with others that there will be a huge amount of people losing their jobs, it's a horrible situation to be in

I hope all those affected come out the otherside happier than they were before

Good Luck All

John

Fingers crossed for everyone. I work in the recruitment sector and run a global team and whilst the US and EU markets have picked up significantly the UK market remains flat. New jobs will be created in tech and AI fields as well as a lot more ecommerce requirements so for those looking to re skill it may be worth looking there.

Master

I looked into this recently, with a view to doing call outs, repairs etc. It seems the only route to qualification (at least via my local college) was 4 years on site with a qualified spark (being a scivvy I imagine, and for minimum wage) and doing the theory work at night class.

They said they didn’t want anyone “half-qualified”

Master
    I got made redundant 3 weeks ago. I used to work in fashion marketing. Marketing is one of the first areas to be cut in tough times and fashion has been hit quite badly by Coronavirus.

I’d been with the company less than 2 years so didn’t really get much of a payment.

I’ve applied for loads of jobs with no luck so far. The summer is traditionally dead for recruitment in my field so I’m hoping things start to pick up from September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    I got made redundant 3 weeks ago. I used to work in fashion marketing. Marketing is one of the first areas to be cut in tough times and fashion has been hit quite badly by Coronavirus.

I’d been with the company less than 2 years so didn’t really get much of a payment.

I’ve applied for loads of jobs with no luck so far. The summer is traditionally dead for recruitment in my field so I’m hoping things start to pick up from September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear David. Hoping it works out for you in a short period.

I am also (well) under 2 years if the situation happens, am probably an expensive resource & an easy one to let go at minimum cost.

Annoyingly wound up my own company before taking this role so cannot go solo as a company director for another 18 months I believe. There are alternatives, but given I made a move out of self employment at the right time & ahead of all this mess, I really don't want to go back to being 'hunter gatherer' again in the current climate.

Let's just say it is keeping me awake at night.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I looked into this recently, with a view to doing call outs, repairs etc. It seems the only route to qualification (at least via my local college) was 4 years on site with a qualified spark (being a scivvy I imagine, and for minimum wage) and doing the theory work at night class.

They said they didn’t want anyone “half-qualified”
    Sounds like a proper course. My mate did 3 days at some private training place for £1200 and now has his nic membership and a little van, proper bodge-it merchant. I've seen month long courses which I will probably opt for plus have another friend who trained properly and has OCD who I could work for.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Without derailing the thread - *next summer* will be a real bloodbath - it's an open secret with HE managers that next year the government will introduce metrics that will wipe out a lot of degree courses at a stroke. So we'll have a wave of layoffs this year and next year the same.
    What do you mean by wipe out a lot of degree courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    From what I read in the news, some universities face going bust or accepting government help. That help comes with stipulations to filter out some of the courses that have fewer job prospects at the end of them.
    Last edited by Christian; 23rd July 2020 at 21:49.

Craftsman
    Really, really sorry to hear about the tough times for some of the good members here.

I work for a large IT services firm in a customer-facing role, and I have been thinking throughout Covid about the future and how under threat my job will be. I basically am aligned to one particular customer who I own, and currently attempting to negotiate an early contract renewal. If I'm successful then my job security should be fairly solid until 2025 - with the main threat being offshoring of my role. This seems pretty unlikely as I occupy an account manager-type job which is very relationship-dependent.

That said, I am taking nothing for granted and my wife works in charity sector, so thinking of her job too. We are saving everything we can, reviewing lifestyle to see if we can love a bit more modestly in certain areas, just to give us a bit of leeway if we have any disruption to our employment.

Part of me is terrified, but the optimistic side of me says I am in an extremely fortunate position, my company and IT in general has done extremely well in the short-term from Covid. And worst case I will put into play my dormant entrepreneurial spark and who knows - maybe I can make a decent living!

Thoughts with everyone struggling right now, we need to support each other in these times.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    I work in healthcare so am fortunately in one of the professions which has not seen a decline in expenditure and is fairly resistent to off shoring etc.

Having said that, there has been a decline in non emergency work for the last few months and recruitment to roles not directly or significantly related to COVID has been reduced. There will be a rise in video/telephone consultation and may be less leadership/senior roles if one person can oversee more consultations remotely. Also, there is the threat of funding being diverted away from non emergency work which is not deemed "essential" in the longer term which is a lot of what I do.

Still there are many worse places to be and my current role is very secure for at least the next 12 months by which time all sorts could have happened!

Sobering to hear so many bad stories.

I’m in the same boat. I was “fired” 2 weeks ago and am on gardening leave on full pay until end of October.

Chances of finding another job as a sales rep or agent are very slim as lots of companies in my sector are using this opportunity to slim down the sales teams and shed staff.

The thing that boils my piss the most is that my ex employer (furniture import company) is using the £2500 a month furlough money from the JOB RETENTION SCHEME to pay me off with.

Surely that money should come out of their own pockets?

I'm in FMCG food/drink and I'm (was?) classed as a key worker. We were hit quite hard initially, for the first 8-9 weeks after lockdown one production line didn't run at all on my site, others were hit hard but recovered faster whilst two lines couldn't keep up with an increase in demand. I consider myself to be extremely fortunate in that the company has paid new monthly bonuses for a few months as a thankyou for just being on site and I've also taken advantage of some overtime opportunities so I've done OK financially. No-one was furloughed and no-one made redundant, not just at my site but others in the UK and elsewhere as well, though some hours and related pay were temporarily lowered for some. It's a (relatively!) safe industry and my skills can be applied at more than one level within it, I consider myself to be a lucky and thankful boy indeed.

Four years ago this very month I was 1 of 220 people made redundant, the site we worked at was shutdown and apart from a few who transferred to other sites we all lost our jobs. The fact that it was all and not some of us made it easier as it felt less personal, though looking back it hit me harder than I thought at the time. I wish the best to all those experiencing the worry and angst of redundancy and hope that life spins you a 180 for the positive.
    Last edited by CardShark; 24th July 2020 at 01:33.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Sobering to hear so many bad stories.

I’m in the same boat. I was “fired” 2 weeks ago and am on gardening leave on full pay until end of October.

Chances of finding another job as a sales rep or agent are very slim as lots of companies in my sector are using this opportunity to slim down the sales teams and shed staff.

The thing that boils my piss the most is that my ex employer (furniture import company) is using the £2500 a month furlough money from the JOB RETENTION SCHEME to pay me off with.

Surely that money should come out of their own pockets?
    Hi Greg,

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you as well. In my case, I trawled my company's terms of employment and also the some website advice (see links below) pointed out to them that if I was put on gardening leave, then that should be paid at my full normal salary and not the furloughed rate and I don think that legally they can claim that money back from the goverment. Might be worth some of your time to look into this and maybe challenge them. I did and am getting my fulll salary for my notice period

https://www.acas.org.uk/your-rights-...undancy-notice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...notice-period/

I hope this helps

Regards
    John

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have two contract’s in Birmingham with one finishing in November and a new large school finishing in May, after that I am closing down and retiring. Done fifty one years enough is enough. I just feel for the young ones out there, who are going to have to pay for all this government debt.

I'm leaving my job at the end of September.

We've made 100s redundant over the last few months in different areas of the business, as have all of our competitors.

I'm lucky enough to have a cushion of savings and my wife has a good job, but the market is a bit grim for most.

It was only announced a fortnight ago that I was leaving (I've known since March) so my market searching has been late starting, but there are jobs around although the competition is high.

Hopefully you find something soon!

I think a big issue is that businesses hate uncertainty. If we got to a situation where a vaccine was approved in September and we started mass immunisations ending March 2021 then I'm sure business confidence, consumer confidence etc would increase and this would help a relatively rapid recovery. Prob not to early 2020 levels but at least to keep most people in a job. So probably just a case of hang in there for most, better times are ahead and I'm sure the givernment will have another massive push of investment to drive the economy once people are vaccinated.This assumes of course we don't have a no deal Brexit or something silly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post

The government is going to make it a condition for access to the student loan book that a course has a 1)progression rate (students who get to the end) of 80% and 2) graduate outcomes of 80%. Anything below gets defunded at the course level - it will not be eligible to access the loan book. They get data from 1 from the Student Loans company and 2 from HMRC.

Some Universities are discussing this with staff and some are not but they all know it's coming - many Universities will close courses in advance of the government pulling the plug.

From what I read in the news, some universities face going bust or accepting government help. That help comes with stipulations to filter out some of the courses that have fewer job prospects at the end of them.
    They will be the first wave but it will impact all English Universities within two years.

The government is going to make it a condition for access to the student loan book that a course has a 1)progression rate (students who get to the end) of 80% and 2) graduate outcomes of 80%. Anything below gets defunded at the course level - it will not be eligible to access the loan book. They get data from 1 from the Student Loans company and 2 from HMRC.

Some Universities are discussing this with staff and some are not but they all know it's coming - many Universities will close courses in advance of the government pulling the plug.

They will be the first wave but it will impact all English Universities within two years.
    As an outsider to the education industry, is some of this a good thing? Over the last 30 years, it appears to an outsider that the whole higher education thing became a real money spinning business with some courses that really aren't value for money and an accompanying industry set up to extract as much money from students as possible (student accommodation). Happy to be corrected/shot down for that!

As an outsider to the education industry, is some of this a good thing? Over the last 30 years, it appears to an outsider that the whole higher education thing became a real money spinning business with some courses that really aren't value for money and an accompanying industry set up to extract as much money from students as possible (student accommodation). Happy to be corrected/shot down for that!
    I'd just say a) it takes off widely off topic and b) it's more of a bear-pit topic.

The point for here is that we can expect to see a couple of waves of job losses.

Grand Master
    A sad day for anyone who ends up redundant,but those earning very good salaries will be the hardest hit having all the things high salaries can buy,the big cars will be gone and the rest it paid for.
    Not quite the fall for someone on a lower income with savings(We fit in here) so we are perfectly fine tbh and thankfully as our standard of living remains the same.

But the future does not look good,a ticking redundancy bomb ready to explode.Im really glad Im stairing into the face of retirement fully,im semi-retired now.

Good luck to everyone and hope you dodge the blast....

I'd just say a) it takes off widely off topic and b) it's more of a bear-pit topic.

The point for here is that we can expect to see a couple of waves of job losses.
    True.

I really feel for everyone on here - I left the media recruitment sector at the time of the last recession, joined the civil service on a much reduced salary but with a better work/life balance - then left London for the sticks, and have never looked back. Every now and again I reminisced over the kind of pay packet I used to enjoy, but it came with a lot of stress, travel and risk - I have to say this thread is very sobering and I no longer feel that pang of regret - my job is about as secure as it’s possible to be in a recession, but I feel in no way smug, best wishes to everyone out there, I think it’ll be a bumpy ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    A sad day for anyone who ends up redundant,but those earning very good salaries will be the hardest hit having all the things high salaries can buy,the big cars will be gone and the rest it paid for.

That's not a natural outcome - by real world (not fantasy TZ) standards - my wife and I earn very good money but we don't own a big car (well we don't own a car) and we basically have nothing on long-term finance or contracts (not adverse to credit, I pay for everything on my AMEX). We just stuck more and more into pensions, investments and getting rid of our mortgage. It's why although I can afford a Rolex, I've never made the leap to that watch bracket - too tight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Another one here in higher education - no concerns so far (in fact my subject is more popular then ever). But then again our main income is based on student fees, which is far more stable than research income in the current climate.
    Last edited by Ares; 24th July 2020 at 11:02.