closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The first cut/dink/scratch is the deepest ....

Master

The first cut/dink/scratch is the deepest ....

It’s life and it happens I get it.... but less than 4 weeks in... come ooooooon! Dropped it when putting it away last night. It fell on the rail of a fitted wardrobe. In all honesty I’m just glad it didn’t take a chunk out the case! Still.... urgh ...

https://imgur.com/a/7q709Q3

Stu

Ouch. Stay strong brother.

Master
    Whoops at least now you won’t be self conscious about scratching it, I remember putting deep scratches down The middle of 3 pcls on my blnr approx 3 hours after getting it I was gutted but stopped thinking about it after

I assume the steel Tudor use is no different to any other 316 but they do seem to suffer from damage easily if banged or dropped.

Master
    When I had my omega AT less than a year in to owning it my wife threw my iPhone (with metal edge) to me and it landed straight on the polished bezel and case. Big scar.... 6 years later it’s almost due a service and will come back like new.

Such is life.

Craftsman
    Double hit for me .....lifting one watch (lumping great Omega PO) out of my watch box and dropped it on to another (IWC JC) causing damage to both cases!
    And the thing is you cannot help but focus on the scratches when you put the watch on.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I assume the steel Tudor use is no different to any other 316 but they do seem to suffer from damage easily if banged or dropped.
    Absolutely. I think they replaced the nickel in the steel with I can't believe it's not butter.

Apprentice
    I find the scratches gradually disappear over time as my eye sight ages in line with my watches.

Master
    ...and relax.... initial ding now done with,
    just wear it and enjoy, I always try and keep things perfect but it's inevitable something will happen and almost a relief once it has done

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    I find the scratches gradually disappear over time as my eye sight ages in line with my watches.
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    ...and relax.... initial ding now done with,
    just wear it and enjoy, I always try and keep things perfect but it's inevitable something will happen and almost a relief once it has done
    This is true. Come service time in many moons it will be sorted. Better on the bezel than the case if i can take anything from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Haha!

This is true. Come service time in many moons it will be sorted. Better on the bezel than the case if i can take anything from it.
    I’m starting to change my mindset regarding dinks etc. Before they would have driven me mad but now, if they have been created during my ownership, they are part of the watches ‘story’ and I’m not even sure I’d have them removed at service.*

Enjoy your watch, it’s a lovely one and it’s made to be worn.

*Not all dinks are equal. Obviously some watches will have a much more interesting story than ‘I dropped my Apple Keyboard onto it.’

Apprentice
    I’m a designer. I was rummaging around in the sample library and managed to rasp the edge of my speedie’s bezel against the cut edge of a ceramic tile.

Afterwards I thought that’s probably one of the few things that would mess up a ceramic bezel this side of dropping it.

Craftsman
    My first dink on the 158 at 25 minute mark on the bezel edge. Passed some men doing maintenance work on the building and the bezel hit stone wall:

I was , but then I looked at my 156 and realized that it is just missing many other dinks. I even used black marker to hide it, but the marker kept coming off, but now I can live with it.

My OG BB58 suffered lots on knocks in the first few months, putting the pram away, chasing said child and hitting the fridge, security door closing. Annoying at the time, & now I guess when I see pristine version on here. But I plan to keep it, will get far worse over many years usage (mine is over a yr old) plus they are a tool watch (yes expensive & not used for the intended purpose).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Haha!

It looks like it won’t be a polish out job but a complete new bezel surround from the image.

That is so annoying but as least it's on an easily replaceable part. Might be worth checking with your credit card company to see if you're covered assuming you didn't use debit.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That is so annoying but as least it's on an easily replaceable part. Might be worth checking with your credit card company to see if you're covered assuming you didn't use debit.
    Do credit cards cover accidental damage?

Do credit cards cover accidental damage?
    Some do. Some even cover returns up to a certain value if you change your mind and the retailer won't take it back. Someone I know dropped a brand new top spec MacBook Pro on a tiled floor and the credit card company paid £1,400 to replace the case.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Some do. Some even cover returns up to a certain value if you change your mind and the retailer won't take it back. Someone I know dropped a brand new top spec MacBook Pro on a tiled floor and the credit card company paid £1,400 to replace the case.
    Interesting and good to know.

It's always disturbing damaging a loving watch...but in the end, we wear them and not vice versa.

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 23rd July 2020 at 18:02.

I recall when my wife and I chose our wedding rings being told "...and you can bring them in any time for a free re-polish!" - thinking "Why would I do that? That's our lives written all over them.".

I suppose with watches (as with marriage partners... ) it depends on how you see it - temporary investment, or keeper-for-life...

Master
    If you worry about dinks or scratches, don't wear a watch, it is as simple as that.

Life is to be enjoyed, not worrying about a scratch on a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I recall when my wife and I chose our wedding rings being told "...and you can bring them in any time for a free re-polish!" - thinking "Why would I do that? That's our lives written all over them.".

I suppose with watches (as with marriage partners... ) it depends on how you see it - temporary investment, or keeper-for-life...
    My wedding ring is misshapen, scratched and even has a few minor dents in it. I certainly won’t be getting it polished. I don’t look as fresh as I did on my wedding day so the wedding ring will grow old with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    My wedding ring is misshapen, scratched and even has a few minor dents in it. I certainly won’t be getting it polished. I don’t look as fresh as I did on my wedding day so the wedding ring will grow old with me.
    I feel the same way about my wedding ring - and my watches. Personally I don't understand the fascination with pristine watches, they're evidently not for wearing or enjoying. A bit like concours cars which don't turn a wheel between one show and the next: a bit of a waste, when I think about it.

I bashed my almost new GS Snowflake against the underside of the kitchen granite worktop (unloading the dishwasher), which really scratched the polished bezel and scratched the crystal. At the time I was so annoyed with myself, but with time I’ve mellowed and it doesn’t really bother me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you worry about dinks or scratches, don't wear a watch, it is as simple as that.

Life is to be enjoyed, not worrying about a scratch on a watch.
    This is of course true, but I wear my “core collection”, Rolex and Omega infrequently and carefully, and it’s because care-free wearing equals damage.

I’m careful with all, even the less expensive stuff, but I’m pretty relaxed wearing my Seiko divers, or my B&R Geneva that is about £1000 worth, or my ceramic B&R, although ceramic is a different kind of careful.

I’ve no idea how those who have £25k Patek or AP sports watches could strap them to their wrist and ever feel easy about it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    This is of course true, but I wear my “core collection”, Rolex and Omega infrequently and carefully, and it’s because care-free wearing equals damage.

I’m careful with all, even the less expensive stuff, but I’m pretty relaxed wearing my Seiko divers, or my B&R Geneva that is about £1000 worth, or my ceramic B&R, although ceramic is a different kind of careful.

I’ve no idea how those who have £25k Patek or AP sports watches could strap them to their wrist and ever feel easy about it.

Dave

I have a Rolex Daytona and once it is on my wrist it gets treated like any other watch. What is the point in buying it if you fret every time you wear it.

I found that the higher end watches with very fine finishing show it the worst. The perfect polishing has to be kept clean or they start to look quite ordinary

Master
    I wear a gold Rolex nearly every day, and have for several years. I accept it will get damage, and don’t dwell on it. It’s like all those people who say you’re nuts to wear a very pricey watch because it might get stolen. Although expensive, they are still just ‘things’ and you could live without them perfectly well.
    I don’t insure them either. If I end up without them, that’s life. They’re just costly toys really.
    Actually, I value the cat far more.....and he’s an old stray who turned-up and never left.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd July 2020 at 18:10.

Blog Entries

Dave

Hi Dave - I have a gold Calatrava Patek which I wear quite a lot. I will never sell it. I avoid bashing it into concrete walls as much as I can. I have been known to do a spot of gardening (weeding and grass cutting - not laying paving stones) wearing it. I did have the case polished at its last service, but may skip it at its next.

Like some have mentioned - for me, it is a bit like a wedding ring

Here it is on hols in March (just before lock-down). - you can see a few 'scratches' on the lugs - but to use another analogy - it's like wearing in a pair of brogues - they get scuffs and marks but look better for it...

- except that I will get it serviced periodically to keep the internals running well and if necessary can be returned pristine like this:

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hi Dave - I have a gold Calatrava Patek which I wear quite a lot. I will never sell it. I avoid bashing it into concrete walls as much as I can. I have been known to do a spot of gardening (weeding and grass cutting - not laying paving stones) wearing it. I did have the case polished at its last service, but may skip it at its next.

Like some have mentioned - for me, it is a bit like a wedding ring

Here it is on hols in March (just before lock-down). - you can see a few 'scratches' on the lugs - but to use another analogy - it's like wearing in a pair of brogues - they get scuffs and marks but look better for it...

- except that I will get it serviced periodically to keep the internals running well and if necessary can be returned pristine like this:

I love that watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Hi Martyn

I think I remember you scuffing your Aquanaut clasp gardening! Maybe I should be more relaxed, or maybe you should get a gardening watch!

BW

Dave

Blog Entries
    Hi Martyn

I think I remember you scuffing your Aquanaut clasp gardening! Maybe I should be more relaxed, or maybe you should get a gardening watch!

BW

Dave

Yeh - I did scuff the clasp - which grieved me totally . . . . it had (has) a highly polished clasp that rubbed against a clay flower pot (of all things). The aquanaut was sold last year to fund my VC (and give some spare change). The re-seller didn't bat an eye at the scratch and it
    made no difference to the deal, as it could be fixed in workshop apparently.

But stupid really - to wear a highly polished / finished watch for manual labour. (I could show a pic - but too embarrassed!)

Craftsman
    I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks this. My Black Bay had numerous marks from careful, frequent wear. More so than any other watch I’ve owned.
    Really puts me off owning another Tudor after that experience.

OP, I feel your pain.

Craftsman
    Defiantly agree the first mark is the most painful. Time and later marks, reduce the initial impact and personally for me, allows me to enjoy the watch slightly more with less fear. In my view, the cost of a refinish is the same whether it is one mark or more. After the first mark, the cost of a refinish has been sunk, therefore any later marks reduce the time/cost factor.

Master
    Had a scrap with the cat about a week into ownership and accidentally bumped her tooth! The tooth was fine lolz!!

Could never be mad at that face...

Last edited by cmcm3; 24th July 2020 at 19:18.

This has been a worn more or less daily for the past 5 years. I stopped worrying about the swirls, scratches and dents a while a go!!

I can’t see the point of buying this for seldom use. It would take too long to set every time it was worn!!

Quote Originally Posted by teeth man View Post
    This has been a worn more or less daily for the past 5 years. I stopped worrying about the swirls, scratches and dents a while a go!!

I can’t see the point of buying this for seldom use. It would take too long to set every time it was worn!!
    Wow, fair play someone gave one of these watches a life instead of keeping it as a safe queen.

Craftsman
    The way they're supposed to be worn! Not stuck in a safe for years and years with no enjoyment.

You can always replace the bezel in a few years time, get it serviced up nicely :)