timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another price increase, Omega

Craftsman

Another price increase, Omega

Expected to be around 7% on the 1st September

Craftsman
    I was speaking to my AD yesterday who confirmed this. 6.6.% was the figure he mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Wow. I was already hurt pretty bad by the recent cal 565 and cal 564 service price increase.

While I like Omega, their move towards upmarket without noticeably increasing the quality makes it very hard for me to enjoy the brand. I was just able to digest a price of new Speedmaster bought from AD with discount. Notice that I'm the kind of person to whom the the 42mm cal 2500 Planet Ocean bought off the sales corner represents peak Omega.

Perhaps I should just get a FOIS and be happy with my cal 2500 Planet Ocean and cal 564 watches.

Grand Master
    Daft prices are about to get dafter.

As for servicing cal 564/565 and similar, there are alternatives.....until parts finally run out!

Master
    Pushing something like an Aqua Terra closer to £5k at full retail. Bonkers.

Master
    For me whilst better quality that Rolex the residuals means I won’t be getting involved with Omega anymore.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the brand, but as mentioned, the quality does not live up to this kind of pricing. Brands like Blancpain and GO are looking great value by comparison.

Does anyone ever pay retail for an Omega, I was under the impression most were available with at least 20% discount without asking.

Grand Master
    It's ironic, I have a large collection of vintage Omegas but I don`t even bother looking in the shop windows at the latest offerings. Omega have now ceased to be a decent value proposition at any level.

Given the uncertainties in the economies of most countries the timing seems strange.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Does anyone ever pay retail for an Omega, I was under the impression most were available with at least 20% discount without asking.
    Heptinstalls have some good offers on Omegas:

https://www.heptinstalls.co.uk/shop-home/

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Only on finance.

Another price increase, Omega

I always liked the way Omega had the balance between brand identity (“is that an Omega you’re wearing...?”) but was priced in a way that although you had to stretch to buy one, but didn’t feel like you had a ridiculous amount of money strapped to your wrist.

Personally I feel it’s a shame, but I don’t think they’re bothered about my custom....

Craftsman
    Even with finance a deal can be negotiated these days I believe.

Beaverbrooks will do 30months 0% even on sale items. Depends on the AD and what they need their margin to be.

I'm not too interested in their modern stuff, their prices are ridiculous.

As usual, I'll stick with their vintage models.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Pricing out some more riff raff. I was priced out about 20 years ago, my last one was a 1998 Seamaster 120m quartz for £950

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Love the brand, but as mentioned, the quality does not live up to this kind of pricing. Brands like Blancpain and GO are looking great value by comparison.
    Both are, of course, fellow brands in Swatch.

Would agree. Surely no one just trots into Goldsmiths and pays the ticket price - or maybe they do.

The DFS of Swiss watches.

I always thought Omega was reasonably priced but where the regular Speedy was almost to cheap in comparison to the rest of the range. But over the last few years, Omega certainly has not been shy with price increases. Add a big box to the Speedy to add further 'value'.

If I was not priced out before, I am now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Pushing something like an Aqua Terra closer to £5k at full retail. Bonkers.
    Why? It is technically better than other models costing more from Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Why? It is technically better than other models costing more from Rolex.
    Technically better doesn't matter. How many computers or phones are technically better than a Mac or iPhone but can't charge the same money?

They would be better off keeping their prices the same and discouraging the ADs from offering 10% before you've even tried it on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Technically better doesn't matter. How many computers or phones are technically better than a Mac or iPhone but can't charge the same money?

They would be better off keeping their prices the same and discouraging the ADs from offering 10% before you've even tried it on.
    Maybe so but they are trying to compete with more expensive competition and in the luxury market Jo blogs sees price as a determining factor of prestige. As such they need to hike prices to maintain that image. As a watch enthusiast I also believe they have the quality and technical innovation to be up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm not too interested in their modern stuff, their prices are ridiculous.

As usual, I'll stick with their vintage models.
    Thar's my general sentiment.

I've had modern Omega's (PO, X33 Skywalker & a recent Speedie Pro) None bought new & not ones I deeply regret flipping.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Maybe so but they are trying to compete with more expensive competition and in the luxury market Jo blogs sees price as a determining factor of prestige. As such they need to hike prices to maintain that image. As a watch enthusiast I also believe they have the quality and technical innovation to be up there too.
    They may be trying to compete with the more expensive competition but unfortunately they just don’t have that image with numerous models all over the place and LE after LE.

I think the only image the price hike will portray is over priced.

Anyone researching a new watch will instantly notice most of the Omega range are usually on sale!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 22nd July 2020 at 18:32.

That will hurt anyone in the running for a new Speedy 321 a price rise at launch...ouch!

Master
    This will put expensive models out of reach for most. The real question is what this will do to second hand values?

Journeyman
    I’ve been trying to find a speed master at 20% Discount and can’t get one.Most Ive been offered is 8% and a couple of AD have said no negotiation.
    If anyone’s got a link for a discounted speed master please let me know.

On Hot UK Deals a Speedy on leather is listed at £3120ish at Hepinstalls (that is most likely not the correct spelling).

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    On Hot UK Deals a Speedy on leather is listed at £3120ish at Hepinstalls (that is most likely not the correct spelling).
    Here it is:

https://www.heptinstalls.co.uk/produ...-42-30-01-001/

I happened to email Hepinstalls today about a new Omega and this was their reply.

Really? Sorry you can’t buy this watch as we’re not charging enough for it. You can buy it in two months once we’ve put the price up.

Shocking. Who wouldn’t walk away from that?

A Seamaster is never worth £4,445!

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I happened to email Hepinstalls today about a new Omega and this was their reply.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 22nd July 2020 at 22:08.

There's a price increase so we're pausing sales until we can ask for more money.

Journeyman
    Is this a sign of whats to come across the watch market. I can see other brands following suit .

Master
    I’m impressed that Omega have decided the market for luxury consumer goods is so buoyant that now is the time for a price rise!

Presumably they based that decision on the queues of customers outside their Central London boutiques although strangely I haven’t seen a single customer in them when I’ve passed...

I assume this is a strategy to drive down sales to make the brand more exclusive?

Journeyman
    There certainly seems to be no concern of an incoming worldwide recession on the watch market

Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    There certainly seems to be no concern of an incoming worldwide recession on the watch market
    I find their confidence in the market quite astounding

D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C'mon - Swatch have looked at what Rolex has been doing to its customers and decided to try giving Omega customers the same Prison Showers treatment.

From what I can see it's a pretty effective business model, so who can blame them?

Still, who knows? Maybe a few people might even start valuing quality over brag-factor and some smaller independent brands may start getting noticed again?

Nah, that's crazy talk! I'll get my coat...

Journeyman
    The Speedy shortage has been apparent for a few months now, more so for the Sapphire sandwich versions, the usual
    20% online discounters (Heptinstalls, Hacketts etc.) haven't had any actual stock since about March.

I think this may have reasons other than factory slowdown and price increase though - I heard 1863 production had ceased
    in January to make way for the coaxial 3861/3 as seen in the Apollo XI 50th pieces. I managed to wheedle 10% discount
    from Goldsmiths by mentioning this and wasn't disabused of the notion.

Does anyone ever pay retail for an Omega
    I was in the Saigon Omega boutique last Saturday and Mrs K was pushing me to buy the PloProf white. The sales manager, without me uttering a word, offered me 20% off the ticket price plus 8% VAT rebate when i next left the country. I'm quite sure a little more could have been shaved off with a quick call to her manager.

I was going to treat myself for a significant life event, but I cannot and will not justify doing so now. A Speedy was about £2.5k new until a few years ago and now £4K and increasing?! I like both Speedy and the Seamaster and was going to buy one or both. I’m out now because all this “luxury” bs is devaluing the whole thing for me; I will stick with what I have.
    Given the current environment as well, I realise that I don’t need or desire such a trinket or bauble now.

In before VEBLEN GOODS. Probably threatened by Seiko's pricing structure now and need to differentiate by upping prices.

It's not like 'the value proposition' has ever been on their minds at this level of brand name.

My man maths has calculated that the price I paid for my used Globemaster has, expressed as a percentage of MRSP, gone down a few points, and it seems even more of a bargain than before. I'm very happy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I was going to treat myself for a significant life event, but I cannot and will not justify doing so now. A Speedy was about £2.5k new until a few years ago and now £4K and increasing?! I like both Speedy and the Seamaster and was going to buy one or both. I’m out now because all this “luxury” bs is devaluing the whole thing for me; I will stick with what I have.
    Given the current environment as well, I realise that I don’t need or desire such a trinket or bauble now.
    I'm sure when I walked past Cardiff WOS a Moonwatch was £4700

Back in 1980 weren't they about £280 new? That's about £1200 on an inflation calculator

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I find their confidence in the market quite astounding

D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You've got a lot of households having sizeable flight /holiday refunds. The money has to go somewhere :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    I'm sure when I walked past Cardiff WOS a Moonwatch was £4700

Back in 1980 weren't they about £280 new? That's about £1200 on an inflation calculator
    This is only partially true in 1980 1GBP was 4 Swiss francs. So that 280 gbp was roughly 1100 chf

Now 1 gbp is 1.18chf Today’s rate.

If we applied a 4 chf exchange rate to the Swiss franc retail price it wouldn’t be too far off 1200 ish. Swiss watches haven’t got more expensive. The Swiss franc has

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Completely agree.

I actually did purchase one in early 2018 to celebrate a lot of things coming together. I kept it for 18 months, and wore it maybe 5-6 times in that period. I was just too afraid of bashing up a £3500 watch. I've kept my Longines, Hamilton and Tissots that cost around £800-1200 mark, as I'm happy to wear those.

The only other WIS that I know unfortunately got burgled for his collection of Panerai, IWC and Hublot. He chose not to replace them like for like, but has gone for a small collection of interesting Seikos, and Laco B-Uhr as a daily.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Both are, of course, fellow brands in Swatch.
    And both have quality/finish leagues ahead - even more so when you start talking about the Moonwatch which is obviously fantastic design wise but decidedly average in finishing.

Swatch shares (own Omega , Longines etc) are down somewhere between 35-40% so far this year. Obviously cov 19/global slowdown has affected business, so lets increase our prices to make up for lost revenue/income!

I have had a number of Omegas over the years and I love the brand, however the prices they are asking are getting ridiculous. The second hand market is flooded with watches, no shortage of any models, and the depreciation is usually around 40-50%, Unless you can negotiate a serious discount on the RRP buying retail is getting stupid.

Easy answer: Don’t buy new.