closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kayak recommendation

Craftsman

Kayak recommendation

Hi all

Anyone with knowledge regarding kayaks out there? Would appreciate some advice. Looking for something to take 2 adults and child in. Initially for the beach and once courage plucked then pottering around coastal coves and beach’s

Quick look online and haven’t really got a clue but like the look of the ones that offer some back support also what equipment, clothing etc best to be used

Thanks in advance

Master
    Hi suggest you peruse through these two threads for suggestions and pointers as a starting point.

Safe paddling Steve

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=Kayak+canoe

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=Canoe+kayak

Based on what you've said you want to do, having fun at the beach, your best bet is going to be a 2 person "Sit on top" style boat. It'll allow you to paddle around , go on short journey and have a little fun surfing back through small waves back to the beach.

When you fall off it (and you will) it's easy enough to climb back on so a bit safer and more confidence building.

How old is your child ? if they are only small, then you may get away with them sitting in the middle of a 2 person sit on top for a year or so, but ideally, you might want to think about a 2 person and a 1 person Sit on top if your budget allows.

As I've said before, you should definitely include an amount in your budget for each person using the boat to have their own Buoyancy aid / PFD so that they can wear it whenever they are on the water.

They needn't be expensive, Decathlon do a reasonable range for a reasonable price, cheap enough when you consider it could save your or your child's life. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-50789-buoyancy-aids

If you can, then the best idea is to get some training, either from a club or coach before venturing out on your own.

If you do decide to "just do it" then don't overestimate your abilities and keep within easy swimming distance to the shore until you grow in confidence and experience and are used to capsizing and "self rescuing", both alone and with your passengers.

I'd stay away from inflatable boats as they are not intended for coastal use and are badly effected by wind, meaning you could find yourself being blown out to sea or into other situations you don't want to be in (rocks, other boats etc). They are also easily punctured an not designed for longer term use. a Plastic sit o top is a lot more robust, will last longer and be easier to sell when you decide you want to move onto something more

Craftsman

Many thanks Steve, never thought of doing a search, looks like some good reading for tonight along with some great tips

Sorry, just saw you also asked for clothing recommendations. For summer beach use I'd recommend getting one of the cheap shorty wet-suits that are sold pretty much everywhere (including Tesco) . They'll give you protection against the sun and help reduce chill in the water when you fall in.

You can also use them for other things (snorkeling, rock pool exploration etc) so you'll get lots of use from them.

If you don't want to go the wet-suit route, then in warm weather a rash vest and shorts will be fine for light use as they will still give sun protection as a thin layer to help keep you warm.
    Last edited by Kris; 22nd July 2020 at 13:04.

Master
    For occasional use, and ease of transport, we've found our inflatable kayak from Decathlon to be great.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

One of my friends bought his lad one of these last summer. It's a two-place, but there was a three-place available as well. Inflates in a matter of minutes and stows in a large bag. I let his lad paddle me around the bay of Morbihan in it and it was extremely stable.

https://www.decathlon.fr/p/canoe-kay...028?mc=8362028

Master
    We have a sevylor almedia inflatable we bought when my daughter was 5 it is ideal for a family trip on the sea although it’s quite big and heavy to move about though even when packed, you need a decent sized car,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Many thanks Steve, never thought of doing a search, looks like some good reading for tonight along with some great tips
    Thats the good thing about this place, we join to discuss watches and then diverge!. I sold all my Kayaking gear a while back, but remembered the threads.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Thats the good thing about this place, we join to discuss watches and then diverge!. I sold all my Kayaking gear a while back, but remembered the threads.
    Yes it really is a great family forum

Notice you are from N Wales, we went to Trearddur Bay last week to view a static, fell in love with the place and secured a static overlooking the sea, hence the thread regarding kayaks. Really looking forward to playing about in the sea with so many other possibilities for water sports

We have a sit on and a a bit of a hybrid sit inside but with decent back support. Both have their pro’s and con’s, loads of good YouTube review videos out there.
    You are welcome to try both out for a few hours and see what you prefer if you are in the area, our place is sandwiched between a lake and a river so easy access to water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    We have a sit on and a a bit of a hybrid sit inside but with decent back support. Both have their pro’s and con’s, loads of good YouTube review videos out there.
    You are welcome to try both out for a few hours and see what you prefer if you are in the area, our place is sandwiched between a lake and a river so easy access to water.

That’s a very kind offer, which part of the country are you based? We are going to buy 2 kayaks so our kids and grandkids can enjoy when visiting, I’m hoping a 2+1 and a single works for us. Very interested in learning more about these seats and backs as mine and my partners backs are not getting any younger and would probably struggle for long periods in the saddle

Kayak recommendation

I’ve got one of these- designed for 2 adults and a child/dog.
    Agree with other comments - sit on tops are, in my opinion a safer option

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGE UK View Post
    I’ve got one of these- designed for 2 adults and a child/dog.
    Agree with other comments - sit on tops are, in my opinion a safer option

I had a similar Ocean Kayak, the Gemini. Strong and stable. Far better than even the most expensive inflatables.
    The only downside is transporting it, you will need a roof rack.

That’s a very kind offer, which part of the country are you based? We are going to buy 2 kayaks so our kids and grandkids can enjoy when visiting, I’m hoping a 2+1 and a single works for us. Very interested in learning more about these seats and backs as mine and my partners backs are not getting any younger and would probably struggle for long periods in the saddle
    We are near Cambridge

I took the sit on out on Friday evening and paddled for about 90 mins, covered 4 miles. My back is not great due to doing stupid things when younger and it was fine afterwards.

The Malibu tracks really well solo or with child or adult. We use ours for some light fishing, playing around in the lakes or even down gentle rivers with no rapids... although I’d like to try it on something so see how the hulk handles current. Either way I’d happily buy it again. I have the optional seats that clip in and out... in my opinion they’re worth it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    We are near Cambridge

I took the sit on out on Friday evening and paddled for about 90 mins, covered 4 miles. My back is not great due to doing stupid things when younger and it was fine afterwards.
    My work takes me travelling so if near your location soon would love to call for a try, thanks.

My work takes me travelling so if near your location soon would love to call for a try, thanks.
    No problems, anytime.

Craftsman
    I’ve just bought a Z Pro Tango 200 after reading the good reviews on it, not had the chance to use it yet but booked up for the lakes in a few weeks. I went inflatable so I can carry it about in the camper.