closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three out - Five IN!!

Three out - Five IN!!

Now then, recently I got it into my head that I needed to change things up a bit on the watch collection front. I had been stung for a new module for my Breitling Aerospace and that was a totally unexpected expenditure, I had thought it would ‘just’ be the battery change. So I decided to release a few of the less loved top end watches (yes I know this is all subjective), so out went my IWC 3717, Chopard Pro One and the lovely Longines Conquest (only because I realised any servicing for the vintage movement would be tricky and expensive if needed).

With all that sudden injection of funds to the pot, I went a bit mad and decided to set a limit of £500 per watch and aim for as diverse an influx as I could find. I already had a few watches in mind, the first was the Citizen CA-7011-83, an Ecodrive, an ever-ready watch that reminded me of an old Omega Seamaster ST176 I used to own. The nice thing about this watch is the lack of a central second hand, the sub dial counter is far less jarring to my eyes. The downside….lume isn’t great and the date wheel is set too deep. So that was the cheap quartz chrono alternative for the IWC sorted.

Zelos as a micro brand had caught my eye over the months, but they focused on producing seriously hefty, handsome dive watches. I started to search through their back catalogue and came across the Helmsman II – a much slimmer cased watch than the current expanding line up. A bonus was that the case was in bronze, something missing from my options. And I love a bit of lume….and those twin jet engine crowns are fab! No downsides except for green wrist syndrome! Changed the strap for a nice distressed leather one.
    [url=https://postimg.cc/vgCsSKn0]

Next up was a desire to try out a black case….it seems DLC is generally a better, more resilient option to PVD, and carbon was outside my budget, so the search began. Had a false start by inadvertently buying a 24 hr dial version of the next purchase, Glycine Airman GMT World Timer. This watch was unique for me, first PVD case, first full lume dial and first GMT watch. A bit over the £500 limit I set myself, but Man Logic dictated that is was going to tick too many boxes to be ignored. Not that keen on the black NATO it came on so swapped for a curved end black leather, but I must get around to changing the buckle over too.
    [IMG][url=https://postimg.cc/yg434L08][/IMG]

If you have kept reading to here, well-done, halfway! The next chase was on and off as I kept having doubts, mostly concerning the dial size. The case is 42mm and with the bezel and wide chapter ring I was worried the actual dial would be too small for my tastes. Worries totally banished when this arrived - the Eagle Ray model from Prometheus. For me this is their stand out watch, many of their other releases could be mistaken for generic divers….this, however…well the lumed chapter ring is searchlight bright and the ceramic grey bezel is so classy and subtle – love it to pieces. It is a heavy watch on the well-engineered polished bracelet, and benefits hugely from the micro adjustable diver extension. The milled twin crowns were another draw.
    [IMG]

There are two more watches, but I am only going to bore you with the penultimate purchase for now. Magrette is another micro brand, with perhaps echoes of Panerai? Anyway, I wanted something totally different…..and now I am wishing maybe I had been a little more conservative! This Dual Time Rose is another PVD cased watch, but with no gold content whatsoever. It wears bigger than the 43mm size suggests, due in part I guess to the dial pretty much filling the case. Now can you see the flaw in design folks? Yep, no minute track. I realise it isn’t necessary for the role of the watch but I do miss it! Plus side, case won’t tarnish, nor turn me green and the sandwich dial is a first for me. I like the rose coloured, red tipped second hand and the black date wheel…..This is the only one of the five incoming I didn't bond with immediately. When the watch is off my wrist I like it, when wearing it....well it is a bit OTT and dare I say it...Michael Kors? You decide. Thanks for reading, number six is a beaut, but I am saving that for another day.
    [IMG]

You obviously like your twin crown watches!!
    I really like the Airman (I was very tempted by the pure version you had on SC)
    The Prometheus is also rather cool. I would like to see the lume on it.
    All in all some very nice incomings that are a bit different to the norm.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th July 2020 at 19:27.

I really like that Citizen, although struggling to see anywhere in the UK that has them. Where did you get it from please?

That citizen is great - thanks for the thread!

+1 on liking the Citizen.

Looks like it's a Singapore model. There are some listed on eBay coming from Australia for about £200. Having just ordered a Ray Mears I don't think I can justify it, but I'm definitely tempted.

Cheers guys, although slightly bemused that the cheapest gets the most plaudits! I believe the model Ca7011-831 - has now been superceeded by a version called 'Chandler' iirc. I got mine on Ebay from chronospirit (463 Feedback score: 463) in Spain. Good hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    Cheers guys, although slightly bemused that the cheapest gets the most plaudits! I believe the model Ca7011-831 - has now been superceeded by a version called 'Chandler' iirc. I got mine on Ebay from chronospirit (463 Feedback score: 463) in Spain. Good hunting.

I just like stuff I have not seen much before - I like for example rolex but once you've seen one thread about steel Rolex, you have seen them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    I believe the model Ca7011-831 - has now been superceeded by a version called 'Chandler' iirc.
    Could it be a sillier name?

Turns out it is real. Doesn't have quite the same character though.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I really like that Citizen
    Ditto
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Love that Citizen, they really nailed the look of the original and a perfect updated version you don't have to worry about.

Nice collection, I almost always like what you've owned and these look nice with a sensible budget.

I do like to see some variety, and there is certainly some here Tim.
    Some comments, if I may.
    The Citizen looks incredibly cheerful, but their date window being microscopic and deep under the dial does it no favours, and up-down chronos always look a bit off to me. Looks like it has a very nice polished chamfer detail on the case.
    I like the Zelos a lot, although I would have preferred to see simpler hands and a bit more precision in the bezel text, that 4 in 40 is not pleasing me too much. You're right, the jet nozzle crowns look great.
    I have been tempted by exactly that model of Glycine a few times (the prices seem to yoyo a bit). The one thing I promised myself was that the bezel would have got the numeration filled with white paint or lume pretty much immediately, I think that would really set it off a treat.
    I had to look up the Prometheus to make sure it had what I thought it did, twin bezels. Nice detail. I have 2 twin bezel watches on my way to me now (hopefully) so can see the merit in the design. It looks very crisply made - is the lume as bright as it would seem to be?
    I like the Magrette as a concept, but would be looking for a 0-60 bezel and no date

So, are all of them staying, and what is the last of the group???
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I do like to see some variety, and there is certainly some here Tim.
    Some comments, if I may.
    The Citizen looks incredibly cheerful, but their date window being microscopic and deep under the dial does it no favours, and up-down chronos always look a bit off to me. Looks like it has a very nice polished chamfer detail on the case.
    I like the Zelos a lot, although I would have preferred to see simpler hands and a bit more precision in the bezel text, that 4 in 40 is not pleasing me too much. You're right, the jet nozzle crowns look great.
    I have been tempted by exactly that model of Glycine a few times (the prices seem to yoyo a bit). The one thing I promised myself was that the bezel would have got the numeration filled with white paint or lume pretty much immediately, I think that would really set it off a treat.
    I had to look up the Prometheus to make sure it had what I thought it did, twin bezels. Nice detail. I have 2 twin bezel watches on my way to me now (hopefully) so can see the merit in the design. It looks very crisply made - is the lume as bright as it would seem to be?
    I like the Magrette as a concept, but would be looking for a 0-60 bezel and no date

So, are all of them staying, and what is the last of the group???
    Dave
    Hi Dave, as always you provide good sound comment. I will post an update with a few extra pictures ....when I get around to it! As far as this group is concerned, all will get a chance to shine for a few months at least, but I think I have made up my mind that four are staying. The only possible exception is the Magrette, I really am unsure whether it warrants a place in the watch box.
    As for the sixth arrival, it is a belter and a keeper for sure. Watch and wait.....

Tim