closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Face masks

Master

Face masks

Anybody found one that’s comfortable and doesn’t drop down your face when you talk?
    From the 27th of this month they become mandatory in taxis too for both driver and passengers.
    I’ve got the three ply type as in the photo, but it keeps dropping down my face when I’m chatting to customers (not all customers like to travel in silence) and I’m forever adjusting it which seems to defeat the object.

Tie a small knot in the loops to make it fit tighter?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    No, that’s a horse he’s ok, it’s cow.....or a dog (or both) you should be worried about.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 19th July 2020 at 17:23.

All this pointless theatrical business with masks is very tiresome.

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Face masks

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I agree, but unfortunately it is what it is. I can’t afford the £100 fine or however much it is, when work is already really quiet as it is.
    Last edited by jaytip; 20th July 2020 at 01:17.

Blog Entries
    Mrs martynjc (uk) has made some for us - we've been wearing them in supermarkets since day1 - we don't need mandates. Lots of YouTube vids on how to make your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Mrs martynjc (uk) has made some for us - we've been wearing them in supermarkets since day1 - we don't need mandates. Lots of YouTube vids on how to make your own.
    We have to wear three ply masks apparently

Yeah so tiresome helping others and lowing the risk of viral transmission!

Remember it’s tiresome to wear your seatbelt next time you are in the car, you wouldn’t want to be controlled or anything!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Yeah so tiresome helping others and lowing the risk of viral transmission!

Remember it’s tiresome to wear your seatbelt next time you are in the car, you wouldn’t want to be controlled or anything!
    Give over, what nonsense..

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Give over, what nonsense..
    What’s nonsense?

Wearing a mask or ignoring the advice?

Craftsman
    I bought a couple from this outlet here - https://thebritishmask.com/

They have worked out ok so far. The plus points are that they are made of cotton, so you can wash them and re-use and they have a tie at the back so you can tie it to make it fit.

Otherwise, this link might be helpful https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashio...ce-mask-uk?amp

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    They are a necessary evil in these times unfortunately

Be very wary of any face masks / coverings that make any claim to be “anti-viral” - they act as filters, nothing more. Happy to advise via PM if you have any questions on this.

Once on, do not mess around with the face mask fabric (e.g. pulling it up and down) - treat the cloth as contaminated and take them off by the straps. Remember to wash hands / use alcohol gel after you leave the shop etc.

And also remember, unless they are face fitted FFP2 / FFP3 PPE, and you are also wearing goggles / face shield, face masks offer you minimum protection. Social distancing (where possible) is still your best bet.

The fabric face masks are primarily intended to hinder you spreading covid-19 to others!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Be very wary of any face masks / coverings that make any claim to be “anti-viral” - they act as filters, nothing more. Happy to advise via PM if you have any questions on this.

Once on, do not mess around with the face mask fabric (e.g. pulling it up and down) - treat the cloth as contaminated and take them off by the straps. Remember to wash hands / use alcohol gel after you leave the shop etc.

And also remember, unless they are face fitted FFP2 / FFP3 PPE, and you are also wearing goggles / face shield, face masks offer you minimum protection. Social distancing (where possible) is still your best bet.

The fabric face masks are primarily intended to hinder you spreading covid-19 to others!
    As surgical masks are mainly designed to contain droplets to protect others, surely the contamination is on the inside and that's only your own 'germs' anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    As surgical masks are mainly designed to contain droplets to protect others, surely the contamination is on the inside and that's only your own 'germs' anyway.
    It is.....unless you have picked up a contaminant on your hands, and then transfer to your mask. Hence, important to not touch the mask until you take it off (properly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made DIY ones and found a design where you put a shapable wire inside ( i used a type of coated gardening wire )

You push it against the shape of your face and it fits closer with less gaps.

In reality though it had pro`s and cons and none i have made were that great and all were quite stuffy feeling with 3 ply

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    No you don’t.

Any face covering will do. There is even a section about homemade face masks in the government guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    No you don’t.

Any face covering will do. There is even a section about homemade face masks in the government guidelines.
    IIRC the Welsh Government have specified three layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I should have been clearer - I was talking about cloth masks, not surgical masks. PPE is typically hydrophobic (water repellent) so any contaminated droplets on the outside / inside won’t soak into the cloth. Cloth types are hydrophilic; this might cause two problems: 1. Any contaminated droplets from others might soak into the cloth. 2. Droplets of your ‘own germs’ might also soak into the cloth. If you then touch the cloth you are potentially contaminating your hands, and any surfaces you subsequently touch (incl. itchy eyes!).

As an aside, of the NHS staff I’ve seen, or my wife had seen, recently have not been wearing FFP2 / FFP3 PPE. They have been wearing ill fitting surgical type masks.

I should have been clearer - I was talking about cloth masks, not surgical masks. PPE is typically hydrophobic (water repellent) so any contaminated droplets on the outside / inside won’t soak into the cloth. Cloth types are hydrophilic; this might cause two problems: 1. Any contaminated droplets from others might soak into the cloth. 2. Droplets of your ‘own germs’ might also soak into the cloth. If you then touch the cloth you are potentially contaminating your hands, and any surfaces you subsequently touch (incl. itchy eyes!).

As an aside, of the NHS staff I’ve seen, or my wife had seen, recently have not been wearing FFP2 / FFP3 PPE. They have been wearing ill fitting surgical type masks.
    Guess these masks will concentrate droplets from others to some extent as we are breathing through them (not 100% though as, as you say, usually ill-fitting) but those droplets will also be on our clothes and anything we touch. Roll on Friday(?) when they become mandatory in shops.

Yep. Hence the need for hand washing etc.

Blog Entries

All good info, but come on we've been doing this for 4 months now. If anyone doesn't know these basics by now they are dumb as f...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    All good info, but come on we've been doing this for 4 months now. If anyone doesn't know these basics by now they are dumb as f...
    You would think so / hope so.
    Last edited by Kirk280; 19th July 2020 at 23:04.

Blog Entries
    not according to the government - they give instructions on how to make your own

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-make-your-own

Section 8

8. Making your own face covering

If you want to make your own face covering, instructions are widely available online. We do not endorse any particular method but be considerate of materials and fabrics that may irritate different skin types.
    Emerging evidence suggests that the risk of transmission may be reduced by using thicker fabrics or multiple layers. However, the face covering should still be breathable.
    Children should make face coverings under the supervision of an adult and face coverings for children should be secured to the head using ear loops only.
    If you would like more information on how to make a face covering with materials from around your home please visit the Big Community Sew website. Here you will find step-by-step video tutorials on how to make face coverings and other useful tips and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Quite.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

not according to the government - they give instructions on how to make your own

Section 8

If you want to make your own face covering, instructions are widely available online. We do not endorse any particular method but be considerate of materials and fabrics that may irritate different skin types.
    Emerging evidence suggests that the risk of transmission may be reduced by using thicker fabrics or multiple layers. However, the face covering should still be breathable.
    Children should make face coverings under the supervision of an adult and face coverings for children should be secured to the head using ear loops only.
    If you would like more information on how to make a face covering with materials from around your home please visit the Big Community Sew website. Here you will find step-by-step video tutorials on how to make face coverings and other useful tips and advice.
    Not in Wales https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53390783

https://gov.wales/how-make-3-layer-face-covering

I've got an Adidas one with replaceable filters. Is pretty comfy.

Not sure why wearing a mask seems to be such a drama for some. If you don't like wearing a mask you're really going to hate the ventilator!

You would think so / hope so.
    Got verbally abused today for wearing masks, or rather my partner did. I was out of earshot but evidently he said “some idiots are out wearing masks today” on his phone as she walked past.
    Told him not to be a **** all his life but have a day off.
    What is it with some people?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    No you don’t.

Section 8

We have different guidelines here in Wales. 3 layers are required.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53390783

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Got verbally abused today for wearing masks, or rather my partner did. I was out of earshot but evidently he said “some idiots are out wearing masks today” on his phone as she walked past.
    Told him not to be a **** all his life but have a day off.
    What is it with some people?
    They live amongst us.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My wife is an NHS physio. I believe their latest rules are to wear normal surgical masks when walking round the hospital. I don't even think they put the maximum protection on unless they are doing aerosol generating procedures.

It is.....unless you have picked up a contaminant on your hands, and then transfer to your mask. Hence, important to not touch the mask until you take it off (properly).
    If this is the science then why are countries like Spain mandating mask wearing in bars where you wear the mask and remove it for every sip of drink? The whole "following science" thing is an utter mess because politicians are making it up as they go along.

I blame WHO and governments for creating this whole ambiguous mask wearing situation that has lead to dissent amongst some of the population. At the start of this, we had WHO saying mask wearing amongst general population was unnecessary...our government and NHS advice was that you had to be within 2m of an infected person for 15 minutes or more to be at risk. Then they dithered about masks on public transport and now dithered about masks in shops. It's no wonder we still have so many people ignoring the rules on the tube and bus.

At the very start they should have pushed the message that mask wearing may be unproven but its such an easy thing to do, we may as well do it as a precaution against further lockdowns.

Can't believe how selfish some people are on this thread.

I am astonished by the behaviour of many down here in the South West. I went into Asda the other day in St Austell and it was very busy. I counted a total of 2 people wearing masks. Off when you think of the general level of anxiety in this area about the virus being imported from England by tourists - who are now coming in increasing numbers!

At work we have formed bubbles as regards our clinical bases (community NHS service) so our team is in effect split into 4. When at base we don't wear masks but we do when visiting patients in their homes - along with full PPE if needed. When walking round the main hospital we wear masks at all times.

When off duty I have tried some of the various masks you can buy but prefer the 3 ply surgical ones supplied at work. They feel more comfortable to me.

Our guidance in the NHS is updated every couple of weeks. At the moment we are required to wear masks out of our office in hospital clinic areas and in patients homes. If we see patients in their gardens or out of doors then provided we are no closer than 2 metres we are not required to wear a mask.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If anybody is interested you can get reusable masks here:

https://www.breathe-happy.com/

I'm not affiliated with them in any way but saw them mentioned on another site recently and they could be useful for people that need to use the underground etc.

No-one is going to physically check the mask, I don’t think.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can't believe how selfish some people are on this thread.
    It beggars belief that people still don't understand, doesn't it?

These are pretty good, although I find all that I've tried tend to make my glasses steam up if I don't position them carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Off when you think of the general level of anxiety in this area about the virus being imported from England by tourists - who are now coming in increasing numbers!
    Isn’t Cornwall in England? And why no worry about visitors from other countries?

Asking for my friends, Paddy and Dafydd.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It beggars belief that people still don't understand, doesn't it?

These are pretty good, although I find all that I've tried tend to make my glasses steam up if I don't position them carefully.
    I've also been struggling with glasses. Finding decent masks is harder than it sounds - I'll look into your recommendation LTF. Any reason why they're only washable for 30 times (seems cotton is base material)?

The other type of mask getting popularity is the micro-fibre material based ones. Anyone have experience with those?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Isn’t Cornwall in England? And why no worry about visitors from other countries?

Asking for my friends, Paddy and Dafydd.
    England believes Cornwall is in England. Many people from Cornwall disagree ;)
    And it's a numbers game. The vast majority of tourists in Cornwall are probably from the UK. Add to that that England has the worst record in Europe for Covid... I'll say no more, this is the G&D.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 20th July 2020 at 10:18.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    If anybody is interested you can get reusable masks here:

https://www.breathe-happy.com/

I'm not affiliated with them in any way but saw them mentioned on another site recently and they could be useful for people that need to use the underground etc.
    They look quite good. Wonder how good the filtration is. Look like they would fit pretty good.

Many people seem to be buying masks for how they look, rather than their efficiency.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Give over, what nonsense.
    I'm shocked by responses like this. Even if you don't care whether you get it, spare a thought for your fellow humans please. Surely anything we can do to slow / stop the spread is worthwhile? The combination of wearing face-coverings, good hygiene and social distancing has minimal impact on our daily lives but will make a huge difference to controlling the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They live amongst us.
    They certainly do :(

I have a 2 ply washable cotton one supplied by work, have to wear it whenever we're onsite (mostly working from home). I do have to adjust it just right to avoid steamy glasses.

It's pretty grim wearing it all day though, especially on the shop floor, I've spent a few full days out there assembling prototypes and i'm glad i don't have to do it full time.

I grabbed a couple of spares and took the kids out to Morrisons on Sat for a trial run to get them used to the idea of wearing them and they got on fine, just needed to tie some knots to shorten the elastics

Master

Face masks

There is a lot of people bashing starting on this thread which is a shame to see, but I’ll tell you guys, and being a taxi driver and now back in work, the majority of customers that I am picking up are NOT wearing face masks regardless of whether they are young or old. It’s impossible to sit more than two meters away from me in the car but people just don’t care. I’m wearing a mask when working because my company has asked us drivers to, so we are doing our bit to help, but the general public aren’t. I’ve had just as many customers sit next to me in the front as I have had in the back, and yes, these weren’t wearing masks either.
    I’ve been asking customers how they feel about having to wear masks themselves in the taxi after the 27th and most of them think it’s a load of nonsense.
    From my albeit limited perspective, it seems the people advocating the wearing of masks are the minority (not judging or saying they are in the wrong mind, just in the minority)
    Last edited by jaytip; 20th July 2020 at 10:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I have a 2 ply washable cotton one supplied by work, have to wear it whenever we're onsite (mostly working from home). I do have to adjust it just right to avoid steamy glasses.

It's pretty grim wearing it all day though, especially on the shop floor, I've spent a few full days out there assembling prototypes and i'm glad i don't have to do it full time.

I grabbed a couple of spares and took the kids out to Morrisons on Sat for a trial run to get them used to the idea of wearing them and they got on fine, just needed to tie some knots to shorten the elastics
    I don’t know if management would allow you to, but where my wife works they are given the option of wearing a mask supplied by work or sourcing their own face shield. My wife has opted for the face shield and she says it’s much more comfortable.
    Try asking your place if it’s a viable alternative for you.

I don’t know if management would allow you to, but where my wife works they are given the option of wearing a mask supplied by work or sourcing their own face shield. My wife has opted for the face shield and she says it’s much more comfortable.
    Try asking your place if it’s a viable alternative for you.
    I think it would be fine, i've seen people wearing all sorts of their own masks. I'm only in about 1 day a week at the moment, so it's not bothering me too much, but as of next month the plan is to start to get us back in the office, half the team at once alternating home/office to begin with, so i'll look into better alternatives then.