closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SPB147 Review

Journeyman

Seiko SPB147 Review

So I purchased this new Prospex model and looks like there is a lot of interest on this piece so decided to put up a quick review and some real life pictures.

First impression

Wow, this thing is a beauty. The first thing that caught my eyes was how much the hour markers as well as the handset pop even when the boutique was not so well lit. What I then noticed is the overall build quality. You can easily tell this is a solid piece and a big step up from other Prospex line-ups and the SKX. Like many other watch enthusiasts, I own an SKX to use as a beater and to customise without worrying to much about damaging it. However, the SPB147 is something different. It makes me feel that it’s a luxury piece which needs to be handled with care. Of course, it’s not to the same standard of Grand Seiko and some imperfections start to appear upon close examination, but certainly I would not expect this level of finishing and quality at this price point.

Case

The case is made of stainless steel with Seiko’s in-house “super hard” coating, as known as “dia-shield”. The coating makes the case appear darker and more industrial than normal 316L steel found on my SKX and Grand Seiko. The dial side of the case is mostly brushed with polished bevels. The brushing is circular around the dial which works seamlessly with the same circular brushing on the bezel. The side of the case is also brushed, and in between those brushed surfaces, you have wide polished bevels which add some depth and sophistication to the case.

Other than a few extra millimetres to the diameter and the polished bevels, the case largely resembles the case found on Seiko 62MAS, the first professional dive watch developed by Seiko. The case comes with drilled lug holes which I personally don’t have a preference, but it certainly makes changing straps easier.

Flip the watch over, similar to many Seiko watches, the underside is mostly polished with a brushed ring on the case back. The case back is screwed in to ensure 200m of water resistance. In the middle of the case back, there is the usual Seiko Tsunami logo for all professional diver’s watches.

What I really love about this case is that the part where the case meets the strap is straight, so there is not so much empty space between the case and strap. This makes the watch looks more integrated when paired with a strap.

Case dimension: 40.5mm diameter, 47.6mm lug to lug and 13.2mm thick which fits well on my 7-inch wrist.

Bezel

The coin edge bezel is super easy to grip and rotate. It has 120 clicks and sounds and feels similar to my SKX. I personally think one of the highlights of this watch is the bezel insert. The bezel insert is made of steel (not ceramic) with circular brushing throughout. The numerals and minute indicators are engraved which adds to the overall industrial look and perceived quality and makes it a lot more interesting than a simple painted bezel. My version is painted in cream while the other three are in white.

I have seen some complaints about bezel alignment on this watch and I can report that this is true. The bezel on the display model was misaligned but about 1mm to the right. The one I purchased has better alignment but not as firm as the display model when rotating which is a bit of a letdown.

Dial

The brown sunburst dial with gilt accents is attractive. I usually hate sunburst effect on watches but this one is very subtle and doesn’t have those radiant lines. Under strong lighting, the dial is golden brown and has a matte look to it. In dark situations, the dial is almost black with no sunburst effect at all.

The gilt hour markers and the handset are well executed and blend in nicely with the dial. I don’t believe they have zaratsu polishing but they pop in all lighting conditions, except in pitch black, and that where the lume comes in…

The hour markers and hands are generously filled with cream-coloured lume. The lume material used here glow blue and picture below compares how the SPB147 (middle) compares to SKX (left) and Submariner (right).

I’m not a huge fan of faux patina, but to me the use of cream coloured lumes and numerals on the bezel is simply a choice of colour rather than pretending to be old and vintage. The soft contrast and the warm look created by the brown dial, cream lumes and black bezel is very attractive and visually pleasing.

I admit the ‘X’ logo on the dial is annoying but because it’s painted in gold, it is actually not as prominent as it is on the other three variants. The only thing I don’t like about this dial is the date window, really wish it wasn’t there. The colour is different from the rest of the dial and somewhat diminishes the entire warm look of it. Fortunately, the date window is sized roughly equally to the 9 o’clock marker which rescues the overall design a bit.

Movement

This watch uses Seiko’s new 6R35 caliber, which has 70hours of power reserve and beats at 3Hz. The stated accuracy is -15/+25 seconds per day. My watch has been running on average 10 seconds faster per day which is within specs, and at this price point I have nothing to complain about.

Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase. It’s different from other Seikos I have experienced in the past. The level of finishing far exceeds my expectations. The price might be a bit high for a Seiko Prospex but when you compare this to the Tudor Black Bay 58, it only costs one third of that. Is this SPB147 better than the BB58? I don’t think so, but is the BB58 three times better than this Seiko? No, absolutely not. To me, the only negatives were quality control on the bezel and the date window.

Thanks for reading and hope this helps if you're considering buying one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Thank you for posting this review. This watch is high on my list of potential purchases and it’s great to get some real life thoughts and photos.

Although it’s disappointing to hear Seiko still has quality control issues regarding alignment on a near £1000 watch.

I’m torn between this (or the 143 on bracelet) and a Doxa Sub 200. Fortunately a AD in Glasgow stocks both ranges, I just need to find the time to schedule a trip over to see them.

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 18th July 2020 at 13:34.

Have a look at the SLA037 also although it does cost more.

Edited to say that was a stupid suggestion as it is £4.7k more. Doh!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th July 2020 at 14:03.

It is a watch that I am interested in looking at, thanks for posting a review.

What is your view on the quality of the strap please?

Craftsman
    Thanks for the review. I was so looking forward to buying this watch until I realised it doesn't have signed crown. On a watch costing about £1000, that stopped me.

Nevertheless, a cracking watch otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Great pics and nice review.

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Thanks for the review. I was so looking forward to buying this watch until I realised it doesn't have signed crown. On a watch costing about £1000, that stopped me.

My simular £900 Seiko doesnt have a signed crown either. I wouldnt let that put you off, i can only speak for myself but my one seems to me a better quality than the cheaper Seikos i had. I think it runs deeper than just a couple of specs upgrades, i actually believe Seiko put abit more effort / recources into these in general

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Nice review.
    As a fellow owner I agree with all your comments.
    Also the silicone strap is very supple and nice.
    I was lucky and my bezel lines up.

Thanks for taking the time to post the review.

Great pics and it is certainly a beautiful watch.

Great review, thanks a lot.

What's the lug width on these please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post

20mm

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    20mm
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Great review .ill add this to my list !

Craftsman
    Thanks for the review! I’ve coveted the SLA017 since it was released and this feels as close as it gets for the money. With no Seiko in the watchbox, this might be my moment. Agree that the unmarked crown is an oversight, but I think I can overlook this point.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I might even sell the Black Bay 58.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Have a look at the SLA037 also although it does cost more.

Edited to say that was a stupid suggestion as it is £4.7k more. Doh!
    I like the 1968 case design but too big and deep for my wrist. Otherwise a great piece!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    Thank you for posting this review. This watch is high on my list of potential purchases and it’s great to get some real life thoughts and photos.

Although it’s disappointing to hear Seiko still has quality control issues regarding alignment on a near £1000 watch.

I’m torn between this (or the 143 on bracelet) and a Doxa Sub 200. Fortunately a AD in Glasgow stocks both ranges, I just need to find the time to schedule a trip over to see them.

Dave
    Definitely better to buy it in person so you can be sure the bezel is aligned properly. A misaligned bezel is a deal breaker for me personally.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    It is a watch that I am interested in looking at, thanks for posting a review.

What is your view on the quality of the strap please?
    The strap is supple and the quality is very good. A bit long for my wrist, 13.5mm + 7.5mm without buckle. The stainless steel keeper is high quality with brushed and polished facets and engraved seiko logo in the middle.

The boutique quoted 250 for the OEM bracelet, so it's staying on the rubber for now...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post

Yeah, it would be nice to have something there, even if just the usual S logo.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post

It's 20mm

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post the review.

Great pics and it is certainly a beautiful watch.
    Thanks!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    Great review .ill add this to my list !
    You won't regret!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    Thanks for the review! I’ve coveted the SLA017 since it was released and this feels as close as it gets for the money. With no Seiko in the watchbox, this might be my moment. Agree that the unmarked crown is an oversight, but I think I can overlook this point.

It's not a deal breaker for me, I don't notice it most of the time when looking at the watch.

The SPB147 is a watch I am interested in , your review and pictures have persuaded me to have a closer look . Thank you for taking the time to post .

Journeyman
    Definitely worth a closer look. I really think this is one of the best divers you can get at this price.

Are you still enjoying it? I'm looking at Seiko Divers and this has caught my eye

Good review and great pics

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Are you still enjoying it? I'm looking at Seiko Divers and this has caught my eye

Good review and great pics
    Not sure if you've seen it but there is a cracking SPB149 on Sales Corner for a miserly £1K.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Not sure if you've seen it but there is a cracking SPB149 on Sales Corner for a miserly £1K.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I want the 147 I think , I'm pondering

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    The 147 is absolutely stunning, everything from the case proportions to the colours of the dial, bezel and markers are just so right. I have the 149 as well but prefer the 147 and it looks great on the bracelet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    The 147 is absolutely stunning, everything from the case proportions to the colours of the dial, bezel and markers are just so right. I have the 149 as well but prefer the 147 and it looks great on the bracelet as well.
    Yes its leading my thoughts right now

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post

I’m liking that 147 on the bracelet. You just may have cost me some money! Is it the Seiko bracelet?

I can get 10% of the watch but ideally if I can get 20% it would make it even more appealing!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 22nd May 2021 at 20:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I’m liking that 147 on the bracelet. You just may have cost me some money! Is it the Seiko bracelet?

I can get 10% of the watch but ideally if I can get 20% it would make it even more appealing!
    Yes I picked it up off SC a few months ago, nice to have the choice and change of look