closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The New Mido Ocean Star GMT

The New Mido Ocean Star GMT

Mido introduce their new Ocean star GMT watches . I think Mido offer great value for money and these watches are no exception . Some may find them large but I like the size , colour combination and the price . The model pictured is my choice .

https://monochrome-watches.com/mido-...oducing-price/

https://www.midowatches.com/uk/swiss...m0266291705100
    Last edited by Tazmo61; 17th July 2020 at 09:22.

Looks nice pity it is 44mm. Too big!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I really like that. However, I've been spending way too much on watches during lockdown. Must be sensible. Must be sensible.

Handsome watch, very nice indeed.
    In fact, it is better (and more elegan) looking than the Ocean Star Diver.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    Mido introduce their new Ocean star GMT watches . I think Mido offer great value for money and these watches are no exception . Some may find them large but I like the size , colour combination and the price . The model pictured is my choice .

True rather than office GMT as well using the Powermatic variation that has started to pop up in a few swatch watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    True rather than office GMT as well using the Powermatic variation that has started to pop up in a few swatch watches.
    Good point, that really does make it very attractive.
    D

Rather frustratingly, Mido has no presence here in the UK, they just have the 2 Hour Passion outlets, that do not do new ranges.
    The blue version is stated as being £890 inc VAT in the UK, but no-one has it.
    The cheapest German dealer price on CHrono24 is £1039.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Rather frustratingly, Mido has no presence here in the UK, they just have the 2 Hour Passion outlets, that do not do new ranges.
    The blue version is stated as being £890 inc VAT in the UK, but no-one has it.
    The cheapest German dealer price on CHrono24 is £1039.
    D

Yep - I went through this recently with trying to get the Decompression Timer - there is no way to buy in UK and you get stung by overseas pricing...

Yep - I went through this recently with trying to get the Decompression Timer - there is no way to buy in UK and you get stung by overseas pricing...

Very frustrating , the decompression timer is another Mido watch I like too . Agreed , you do get stung by the overseas prices . Apologies gents , I thought the new models were available in the U.K .

I have pinged a message to Mido themselves, just in case they can do direct sales in territories without an AD (like here).
    I will keep you posted on any reply I get from them.
    Not sure I hold out much hope though......
    D

Very nice, mido do indeed make some very nice quality watches and have done for many years. I had an old ocean star for a long time and it was as tough as old boots. Their full face GMT is worth a look too.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm perversely grateful that I can't get one, saves me £890 I'd have been in severe danger of spending otherwise...

I have pinged a message to Mido themselves, just in case they can do direct sales in territories without an AD (like here).
    D

Thanks , hopefully there could be some good news .

D

I know they have other brands they concentrate on in the UK but given they do not have AD network to compete with here - they should just allow us to buy direct (as do other Swatch brands).

Master
    That's very nice. I picked up the Ceritna GS Action GMT which uses the same movement, the Mido is a better looking watch though.

That really does make it more attractive...size is the issue but.....some 44mm wear smaller.
    True GMT function is what I need fro my fishing trips...

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

It looks really nice. A proper GMT with great specification at this price point appears to be good value. I do like the 44mm case size.

No answer from Mido yet, not a peep.
    I have also enquired of one of the German dealers on Chrono24, selling at about £1030.
    They will negotiate to just on the theoretical RRP of £890, delivered to the UK.
    They do not hold stock at present but anticipate being able to order in within a week.
    So it can be had for the right amount.
    Dave

Mido isn't a brand that I'm familiar with but the watch linked is very nice and at a reasonable price point; will definitely read up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    Mido isn't a brand that I'm familiar with but the watch linked is very nice and at a reasonable price point; will definitely read up on them.

If you are not familiar with it - basically it is one of the Swatch brands (Hamilton, Tissot, Omega, Certina etc) and they have decided that this is not a market they sell in.

Journeyman

Mido ocean star decompression

What is your opinion on the new ocean star decompression 1961? I personally love all the colors on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by rutger View Post
    What is your opinion on the new ocean star decompression 1961? I personally love all the colors on the dial.

I like it a lot - I'd like it even more if I could actually buy one...

Journeyman
    I like it a lot - I'd like it even more if I could actually buy one...
    True that, I’m still hoping to get one in the Netherlands somewhere in September.

Where did you check? Is HODINKEE sold out already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a shame really.

I would genuinely like to try one on as 44mm isn’t a deal breaker but it very much depends on how it wears at that size.

I’m not sure I’d want to commit to an international buy with the difficulties that would entail in returning it if I didn’t like it once it got here. Having said that, if they’re difficult to get hold of, might get a good price on it, selling ‘as new’, if it wasn’t a keeper.

I bought one, picked it up from the local DHL "office" (well, corner shop) on Sunday.
    I am very impressed

the 44mm is bigger than almost all of my collection, but lug to lug it is short (under 50mm), and fits my wrist well.
    The colouration is very subtle and changes all the time in different light
    Dave

ps - Mido told me they have no ADs in the UK and they do not sell direct. In fact they were very unhelpful, so I got this from a German dealer on Chrono24, called Olfert & Co. They took a week to get it into stock, and DHL delivered promptly (while I was away in Devon).
    Last edited by sweets; 11th August 2020 at 12:38.

That look great Dave and fits your wrist very well.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Nice! Looks really good.
    The feedback re Mido is disappointing, one would think they would be keen to develop the brand.

Out of interest what is your wrist size?

Looks great!

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Nice! Looks really good.
    The feedback re Mido is disappointing, one would think they would be keen to develop the brand.

Out of interest what is your wrist size?
    Thanks
    I am not sure I am surprised they were uncooperative, many companies are not set up for sales to individuals. I was more surprised (in a positive manner) how co-operative ZRC were when I contacted them earlier this summer.
    As I say, the German AD I used (via Chrono24) were excellent.
    My wrist is 7 1/4", but relatively flat, about 65mm across (to mix my measurements totally).
    Dave

Master
    I bought one, picked it up from the local DHL "office" (well, corner shop) on Sunday.
    I am very impressed

the 44mm is bigger than almost all of my collection, but lug to lug it is short (under 50mm), and fits my wrist well.
    The colouration is very subtle and changes all the time in different light
    Dave

ps - Mido told me they have no ADs in the UK and they do not sell direct. In fact they were very unhelpful, so I got this from a German dealer on Chrono24, called Olfert & Co. They took a week to get it into stock, and DHL delivered promptly (while I was away in Devon).
    That is a beaut. Looks like a decent movement/power reserve and that’s the pick of the three for me.

The more I look at this the more I like it. Really is a very good looking piece.

Shame there is no UK AD to pop into and have a try.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 9 using TZ-UK mobile app

44 is my sweet spot. I like the design, agreed that the value for money is great. For me, a regular dressy diver (no GMT) is perfect. Big +

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Master
    Mido Ocean Star GMT

It just sounds....... BIG..... somehow.

That really is lovely Dave.

Having looked at your pictures and the monochrome article I’m a little confused about the colour scheme. Is yours a black dial and black bezel? The linked write up mentions a blue dial, black dial, a blue bezel and black bezel!

Thanks

Ian

This looks amazing and is excellent value for the money with the 80hr power reserve. Very nice indeed.

For those interested in a bit more detail on the Mido, Watchgecko have published my relatively full review of the Mido HERE, complete with a comparison with my other "traveller" GMT, the Tudor.
    I actually think I will be selling my Tudor, the Mido has so swiftly become a firm favourite.
    Dave

Master
    Apparently Hour Passion at Bicester Villiage and Gunwharf Quay stock them.

https://www.hourpassion.com/en/bouti...cester-village

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

They do stock a limited range of Mido, but only discontinued models or surplus old stock as they are outlet stores, rather than ADs. I spoke to them too. They have no mechanism at all to get new models.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post

Absolutely love the look of this - and it's spot on for size for me too.

Very tempted (assuming it could be obtainable), but I'm on a self-imposed buying ban at the moment...

Simon

Jura Watch cliam to be an AD or at least did. I'd buy one if I could order it in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

It's owned by swatch and is purely for off-loading old and discontinued models - they have whatever is left over.

Great looking watch, I see there are a few on eBay available from Germany. It's a shame the blue dial posted above is not available on a bracelet as the size is perfect for me. I will have to do some digging for real world pics.

For those interested in a bit more detail on the Mido, Watchgecko have published my relatively full review of the Mido HERE, complete with a comparison with my other "traveller" GMT, the Tudor.
    I actually think I will be selling my Tudor, the Mido has so swiftly become a firm favourite.
    Dave
    Nice write-up! I’m particularly impressed by the fact you seem more enamoured with the ocean star than the Tudor!

It’s baffling that Mido don’t make it easier for people to buy their product in the U.K...

Dave
    Excellent job Dave. So many plus points to this watch....just can't understand why Swatch don't market Modo here. I'd love to try one.
    I might also come to the conclusion my Tudor GMT.
    Jumping hour.....:-)

I've now had a good root through the net of various reviews and the Mido website. They make a few deeply appealing watches but without a UK dealer where I could see the quality in person, especially the dial, I would be hesitant to buy blind. GS has really raised my expectations on dial finishing and while I am not expecting anything like that from Mido, I would want to know the dial/hands finishing is satisfying in person. Guess we will have to wait for a TZ'er to be first to take the plunge.

This is a real stunner, its 42mm, shame its not 44mm:

Perhaps you didn't notice, but I have already bought one, and indeed reviewed it too (see the link in Post #36 above).
    Plus, the photo in post #25 is my photo, of my watch (and wrist).
    Dave

Oops, you have too Dave. Thanks, I will have a read