closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citizen BN0118-55E for £199 at H Samuel

Citizen BN0118-55E for £199 at H Samuel

‘Ray Mears 2’, titanium bracelet model. Was £369 reduced to £249 and now an extra 20% off with code EXTRA20. £199.20 seems a very good price for this.

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d...racelet+watch/

Master
    Thanks for the tip re the extra discount.

Just picked up a Citizen Blue Angels Nighthawk for £114 with extra 15% off at Ernest Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Many thanks! Been after one to replace my original for a while. Missed out on the blue fabric strap version at £183 just after Christmas, so this seems like an absolute steal!

Great heads up, thanks. Have to have one, mmm titanium.

Good spot, thank you. That’s this years’ holiday watch sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Good spot, thank you. That’s this years’ holiday watch sorted.
    Excellent, I’ll grab it off SC when you’re done with it!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Good heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Excellent, I’ll grab it off SC when you’re done with it!
    He he. It’s got your name on it

I discovered this article last night.

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...omaster-tough/

I quite like the Yellowstone Park version with yellow second hand.

I wonder how many are out there and how long it would take to track one down? The challenge is on

Craftsman
    Ha! I have the Yellowstone one, and that is what I’m looking to replace, it’s taken so many knocks and scrapes in its long life, it’s time to retire it!

Craftsman

Sorry for the terrible lighting, currently on top of a lift!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Ha! I have the Yellowstone one, and that is what I’m looking to replace, it’s taken so many knocks and scrapes in its long life, it’s time to retire it!
    Typical

Journeyman
    Bargain at that price just picked me up one of these (for the second time)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Are these really 38mm ?? thought they were larger now.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Are these really 38mm ?? thought they were larger now.
    My calipers are reading 40 mm

Thanks for the heads-up. I've ordered one as well. I've fancied one of these for a while. I seem to be building up a little sub-collection of (mostly solar) grab-n-go watches. I quite like a rugged-yet-lightweight quartz, especially when it's ultra-legible too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    My calipers are reading 40 mm
    Thought they are bigger now , many thanks for that.

Journeyman
    Seriously considered one of these at £200, but I only just bought a steel G-Shock which I reckon fills the same niche of tough solar-powered watch on bracelet. Instead I scored a Mondaine pocket watch for £120, so still got something out of it :D

Cheers for the heads up. Been considering these for ages but baulked at full price. I get 8.5% off gift vouchers for HS through a work scheme too so order has just cost me £183.

Couldn't help it at that price...

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

So mine arrived yesterday and after adjusting and fitting the bracelet I wasn't convinced it was for me.

I'd seen negative reviews of the clasp, which does seem like a strange afterthought. Three links out and it fits my 7"ish wrist OK but the clasp is very long and clunky. A normal clasp with micro holes would have been preferable.

However, once I flipped the bracelet to a canvas strap, it becomes a better proposition:

But it's still not quite hitting the mark. I think it might be the increase in size to 40mm? The 38mm models were better proportioned IMO. And then I remembered the old one I used to own:

Look how much cleaner and uncluttered this dial is compared to the new version.

I'll stick with it for a while but it's not a patch on the the early versions IMO.

Master
    So mine arrived yesterday and after adjusting and fitting the bracelet I wasn't convinced it was for me...
    Thanks for the mini review. I tried one on in Heathrow last year and thought it was just bit too big but I was tempted by the bracelet version. I was in too minds but this has saved me a few quid.

So mine arrived yesterday and after adjusting and fitting the bracelet I wasn't convinced it was for me.

I'd seen negative reviews of the clasp, which does seem like a strange afterthought. Three links out and it fits my 7"ish wrist OK but the clasp is very long and clunky. A normal clasp with micro holes would have been preferable.

However, once I flipped the bracelet to a canvas strap, it becomes a better proposition:

Mine was dispatched today. I agree the additional text on the dial doesn't help, but the 40mm size looks an improvement for me personally. Not sure I fancy the bracelet either.
    Yours looks excellent on the canvas strap though! Is it one of Eddie's or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Mine was dispatched today. I agree the additional text on the dial doesn't help, but the 40mm size looks an improvement for me personally. Not sure I fancy the bracelet either.
    Yours looks excellent on the canvas strap though! Is it one of Eddie's or something else?

It's growing on me after a couple of days wear, and I've finally found a suitable watch for those canvas straps, which are from here:

https://www.miros-time.de/zweiteiler...t-b%C3%A4nder/

They're excellent quality – heavy duty but comfortable.

Thanks OP for a great heads-up. I have been contemplating one of these for a while, but too expensive at RRP, and didn't really want one with a strap on. Since getting the X33 I have decided that I like titanium. I just hope that I can get on with the date window being so small.

If anyone wants to get rid of I’d be very interested. I can’t get one here in Canada so only hope is used.

Many thanks!

Banned
    For £199 that’s a bargain and a great watch. I’ve had one of these and can’t rate it highly enough.

Master

But it's still not quite hitting the mark. I think it might be the increase in size to 40mm? The 38mm models were better proportioned IMO. And then I remembered the old one I used to own:

Look how much cleaner and uncluttered this dial is compared to the new version.

I'll stick with it for a while but it's not a patch on the the early versions IMO.
    My only gripe was the small and very deep date window, I struggled to read the thing even wearing my reading glasses lol.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    My only gripe was the small and very deep date window, I struggled to read the thing even wearing my reading glasses lol.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Same here. I thought I was due another eye test, which in fairness, I probably am. But even perfect sighted people would struggle to read it.

Same here. I thought I was due another eye test, which in fairness, I probably am. But even perfect sighted people would struggle to read it.
    Could an aftermarket magnifier be fitted to the crystal?

That's a great price for a very good watch. I paid £270 for mine back in March 2019 which grates a little. However I still enjoy it and wear it regularly. I usually have it on a tropic or a Hirsch pure caoutchouc. For me it wears a lot smaller than it's 40mm diameter would suggest and yes the date is abysmally small.

Last edited by dkpw; 20th July 2020 at 18:08.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Just picked mine up and am delighted.The clasp is rather good with a natty micro-adjustment .6 years warranty as well. Taking links out requires caution as I imagine the tiny spring sleeves would present a challenge finding when they have fallen in to the shag pile .....

Craftsman
    Honestly on balance my favourite watch ive had!

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Taking links out requires caution as I imagine the tiny spring sleeves would present a challenge finding when they have fallen in to the shag pile .....
    After just getting round to sizing and fitting the bracelet to my several years old example, I can confirm you are 100% correct! Something white and grippy is definitely worthwhile.

I picked my example up from SC last years and have to agree with others. It’s an absolutely cracking watch that I probably pick up more than any other when I’m in need of a beater for anything even vaguely ‘tough’.

Craftsman
    Mine arrived this morning, and I’m very happy with the fit and finish. Second hand hits banger on the markers too. Impressed.

Journeyman
    Pictures?;)

What tools will I need t adjust the bracelet when mine arrives?

Now in its second day with me...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    What tools will I need t adjust the bracelet when mine arrives?
    A holding block, a punch pin, a little hammer and needle nose pliers.

You need to punch the pin in the direction of the arrow until it pokes out the other end, then carefully pull it all the way out. The collar sits in the hole in the middle section of the bracelet so be careful not to lose it. I work on a little microfibre towel so anything drops gets caught in there.

Remove your links (I removed 2 from the 12 o'clock and 1 from the 6 o'clock, which left two extra on the 12 side to fit my 7" wrist), then pop the collar back in the mid section hole (I use the pliars for this, with the bracelet in the block), push the links together then push the pin back the opposite way to the arrow until it hits the collar. Use the hammer to tap it through.

It's easy once you've done a few

Seems the TZUK group buy has cleared them out. . All gone now.

Craftsman
    Mine arrived this morning, and I’m very happy with the fit and finish. Second hand hits banger on the markers too. Impressed.
    Which company delivered it please.

Craftsman
    DX Delivery! Never heard of them, personally. But I got a text this morning saying it would be delivered today, and it contained a real time tracking number.

Drives me mad, but I’ve tried these on a few times and they just wear tiny on me - much smaller than 40mm would suggest. Even the store assistant commented ‘that looks like a lady’s watch on you’ - the curse of big wrists!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Even the store assistant commented ‘that looks like a lady’s watch on you’ - the curse of big wrists!
    Bit sexist

Craftsman
    DX Delivery! Never heard of them, personally. But I got a text this morning saying it would be delivered today, and it contained a real time tracking number.
    Thanks, got dispatch email Friday but nothing yet

Craftsman

Journeyman
    Now in its second day with me...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Looks great.How you finding the bracelet?

Mine arrived this morning, and I’m very happy with the fit and finish. Second hand hits bang on the markers too. Impressed.
    Yes that's what I've found with my three Eco-drives. Why can't other quartz makers achieve this?

Master
    Back in stock if anyone interested use extra20 code

Mike 👍

Really comfortable, I noticed in on of the reviews it was criticised for not being, so but can't imagine how. There is a very nice micro adjustment facility which means you can let it out or in a few mm at a time it needs be. It is a great little watch and that it is titanium bakes it just spot on , for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Looks great.How you finding the bracelet?

Wasn't feeling the bracelet, so mine is straight on to a random two piece seatbelty strap from the watch box that is a bit too shiny for my liking.

Very much at the bottom end of the size range I feel comfortable with (although it looks larger in the pictures)

Very light and superb value for £183.

Really comfortable, I noticed in on of the reviews it was criticised for not being, so but can't imagine how. There is a very nice micro adjustment facility which means you can let it out or in a few mm at a time it needs be. It is a great little watch and that it is titanium bakes it just spot on , for me.
    It must be a luck thing depending on the wrist shape. Although it wasn't too bad on me, when I the pulled adjustment out further than 3 notches I could feel the lower bracket digging in. And the whole clasp covers the entire underside of the wrist. Not a good design IMO.

I don't really like the look of it anyway so I was glad to swap to canvas.