closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: These days are all cars the same ?

Master
    I still think this has a distinctive look...

A lot of the modern stuff is quite same-y but a lot comes down to safety and other similar legislation. It's the driving feel that has changed the most. Modern cars are so far removed when it comes to feedback. You can get a hatchback that will do 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds and carry 4 people comfortably while returning decent miles per gallon.

What makes a great car is a car with flaws. Look at an elise, an mx5 or as above an atom. There are loads of things that make them not great cars every day (not so much the mx5 actually) but they are still one of the most rewarding to drive cars (in my eyes). I've got a fairly quick daily and while it's comfy, fast and practical it's nowhere near as grin inducing as my vx220 that just makes me grin from ear to ear every drive. In fact, need to take it for a blast soon as it's been too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Which makes perfect sense. Leaving aside the emotional side of things, it doesnt really seem logical to own a depreciating asset that spends 90% of its time doing nothing.

If you could call on an automated car or people carrier, any time and place, probably via something like an app on your phone, and simply pay for what you use then it would make more sense financially, parking and maintenance would no longer be an issue and roads may well be safer too. There would be huge logistical challenges to overcome I guess and it will take a while for the automotive industry to move on - there's still a lot of money to be made from selling everyone an illusion of power, prestige, fun etc - it continues to be a sales and marketing bonanza.

However, everything changes in time and at some point private self operated cars and the behaviour that can now be observed on a daily basis resulting from their use will at some point be looked on with bemusement and probably incredulity..............
    Depends, of course, on the overall cost - For many it won't make sense, for many others it will.

Chances are it'll be one of those things where the cost goes up every year little by little until you would have been far better off with your own car, but you won't have that option.

You're right, of course, on the last point, but that's the way of everything - I'm sure people from the past would look out us with the same incredulity, but not always with envy or respect.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    A lot of the modern stuff is quite same-y but a lot comes down to safety and other similar legislation. It's the driving feel that has changed the most. Modern cars are so far removed when it comes to feedback. You can get a hatchback that will do 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds and carry 4 people comfortably while returning decent miles per gallon.

What makes a great car is a car with flaws. Look at an elise, an mx5 or as above an atom. There are loads of things that make them not great cars every day (not so much the mx5 actually) but they are still one of the most rewarding to drive cars (in my eyes). I've got a fairly quick daily and while it's comfy, fast and practical it's nowhere near as grin inducing as my vx220 that just makes me grin from ear to ear every drive. In fact, need to take it for a blast soon as it's been too long.
    Completely understand where you are coming from; my Z4M was hardly full of issues, but every journey felt special due to the engine / shocking 1st to 2nd shift if not flat out. My current 981 GTS Cayman is so much more capable, but just doesn't feel as special as it lacks the 'flaws' that make something special.

I have also been learning that power isn't always the answer; my M4 CP was one of the most disappointing cars I have ever owned, power but no finesse. Interestingly driving my wife's base 981 Boxster at the weekend I think I preferred it to mine as I could wring its neck a little more than I can in mine without silly speeds. I'd love a caterham / lotus but I struggle with any form of rattle in a car, it completely ruins the drive for me. Am about half way through finding all the cayman rattles, and then it will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It wasn’t long ago when you could have got a 928 for about £4K. Now you see them over £20k, so the love is shared. I always wanted a 928 S4 (in Gun metal grey), but the running costs would have bankrupted me.

About 15 years ago I was chatting to a guy who had just brought his late fathers 928 back from Hong Kong and was having it fully restored. Complete engine rebuild by Autofarm, new interior by Southbound, windows out respray, etc. Total cost over £30k. When I questioned the logic. He said “where can I buy a new 4 seater, capable of 180mph, for 30k. A New Mercedes S500 was over £100k at the time. Then I understood where he was coming from. I hope he still has it.
    Logic is only ever part of the equation with those cars. There's usually a decent dollop of love for them, and (in my case certainly) a light scattering of obsession and/or financial masochism.

That said, we went to a drive-in movie in the 928 on Friday evening, and as we stood there drinking negronis (using the spoiler as a cocktail table - so much area really begs to be put to use) and looking around at the ubiquitous MINIs, VAG platform shared cars and SUVs, I remembered why I love that car so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Logic is only ever part of the equation with those cars. There's usually a decent dollop of love for them, and (in my case certainly) a light scattering of obsession and/or financial masochism.

That said, we went to a drive-in movie in the 928 on Friday evening, and as we stood there drinking negronis (using the spoiler as a cocktail table - so much area really begs to be put to use) and looking around at the ubiquitous MINIs, VAG platform shared cars and SUVs, I remembered why I love that car so much.
    Nice 👍 pictures please.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Completely understand where you are coming from; my Z4M was hardly full of issues, but every journey felt special due to the engine / shocking 1st to 2nd shift if not flat out. My current 981 GTS Cayman is so much more capable, but just doesn't feel as special as it lacks the 'flaws' that make something special.

I have also been learning that power isn't always the answer; my M4 CP was one of the most disappointing cars I have ever owned, power but no finesse. Interestingly driving my wife's base 981 Boxster at the weekend I think I preferred it to mine as I could wring its neck a little more than I can in mine without silly speeds. I'd love a caterham / lotus but I struggle with any form of rattle in a car, it completely ruins the drive for me. Am about half way through finding all the cayman rattles, and then it will be perfect.
    I think the Z4M is another of those cars that in a modern world of auto/electric everything is still a hairy chested beast. Still has a lot of the 'character' that older cars have with some of the modern niceties. I've not driven one to compare unfortunately. FiL has a last of the 6 cylinder Boxsters before they went to the 4's and that's a lovely drive. Not as raw and fun but still quite rewarding. Shame he went for the PDK on it but then he wanted something with auto for bombing around in. A manual Cayman would be up there as one to own for me.

Craftsman
    There’s some truth in the saying that if you don’t look back at your car after you lock it you bought the wrong car.

Circumstances don’t always allow you to make that type of choice (financially or practically) but that’s life.

I certainly agree that the vast majority of modern euro boxes are as dull as dishwater. I have to drive a Passat estate as a company car, does what it’s supposed to do but I have absolutely zero emotional connection to it, it’s just a tool.

How about one of these:

Not mine but I’m sorely tempted .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Or this:

I’ve got to stop play shopping on carandclassic, it’s doing me no good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    The only cars I have any real emotion for are classics, there's a 'sameness' about the majority of modern cars that's not appealing. Most are about as appealing as a fridge-freezer, they do a job and do it very well, but they don`t stir the emotions in the way the older cars did.

I`m just starting the process of moving house, extending the new property and altering the garage. If the garage ends up being big enough I`ll buy another classic to keep my MGB company, something I can work on and enjoy as a hobby.

I don't think I`d ever own one, but I see the appeal of the 50s American cars, they're automotive art on 4 wheels. Who cares if they guzzle gas, like many classic cars I could enjoy sitting and looking at it.......how many modern cars does that apply to!

For me the ability to work on it myself is part of the ownership experience. I know my vx inside and out having done stuff like replace the gearbox, supercharging it and full suspension rebuild. The only thing I haven't taken apart is the engine. And even then I've had the cam cover off to fiddle.

I can do stuff to the BMW but there is so much more computer based stuff and coded hardware that it's much harder to tinker with.

I want an older car as well but that will have to wait until I build a bigger garage.

Have to say the most fun I've had recently on four wheels was a LR Defender!

Run-out model TDCi with a bit of fettling, the combination of tractor-like dynamics and a punch far above what the surrounding herd were expecting made it a hoot!

Master
    Agree on the looking back after you’ve parked up. My Z4C in stratus with CSLs was one I always looked back at. The Z4MR less so, but still glanced a lot; Bangle did a great job & it has aged beautiful.

GTS doesn’t get glance back as, due to being ashamed at the later of dust over it from lack of use recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think modern sports cars try to do it all and fail at both.

I was running three cars recently, a Kia Rio for the shopping, a Cayman S for fun and a VX220 for track.

9 months later the Cayman was sold because I simply never used it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I don't think I`d ever own one, but I see the appeal of the 50s American cars, they're automotive art on 4 wheels. Who cares if they guzzle gas, like many classic cars I could enjoy sitting and looking at it.......how many modern cars does that apply to!
    Gotta love 50s American cars, and the 50s.........

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Gotta love 50s American cars, and the 50s.........

If you like this check out Two Lane Blacktop”. Features a 55 Chevy Gasser. Nice.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Have to say the most fun I've had recently on four wheels was a LR Defender!

Run-out model TDCi with a bit of fettling, the combination of tractor-like dynamics and a punch far above what the surrounding herd were expecting made it a hoot!
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    If you like this check out Two Lane Blacktop”. Features a 55 Chevy Gasser. Nice.
    One of my favourite films. 55 and a Goat, what’s not to like.
    Makes me wish I still had my ‘76 Pontiac Trans Am and ‘71 Chevy Monte Carlo!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Based my last car purchase on where I live having found the BMW 1 Series I had when I moved here was like a fish out of water; besides having an awful manual gearbox and needing a new clutch at 10k due to a defect in its manufacture.

Now have a very capable current generation Panda 4x4 with a wacky 875cc two cylinder turbo engine fitted with a six speed box. Surprisingly brisk, sticks to the road like glue and a doddle to park, even get the mountain bike in the back (just).

My daily. 995kg, 6 speed manual 115hp.

My other car has 400hp, I used to daily drive it, but this is a better proposition, with the sports car for the weekends (it is also manual)

Next plan, sell the sports car for a Caterham.

The key is not to buy what everyone else buys

Nearly all the modern cars look really nice and sleek, but they lack any character or true distinctiveness, like the older cars and their foibles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMater View Post
    There’s some truth in the saying that if you don’t look back at your car after you lock it you bought the wrong car.

The only car I have owned where I consistently did this was my Civic Type R FK2 - I want another!