closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PAM 01085

Master

New PAM 01085

I have never managed to keep a PAM too long but this new one has the great blue dial (per the 690 I had) but with a more ‘reasonable’ price of £4,800.
    I think this one will do well.

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...re---44mm.html

Shame 100m & I think snap on case back.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Shame 100m & I think snap on case back.

Genuine question although I realise it sounds a bit ‘off’.....

Does that really matter in every day use?
    .... and if so, please could you tell me why?

I have a PAM390 which I love and the seller also made a point of telling me that it had a ‘proper’ WR of 300m and a solid case back but I’ve never understood the significance to an everyday non-diving watch-wearer.

I do quite like the blues. Seems like a new entry point for the luminor.

I don't think that it is a snap on back ,I love that blue and I also think that a 100m WR is more than enough for any kind of use

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    I don't think that it is a snap on back ,I love that blue and I also think that a 100m WR is more than enough for any kind of use

100m WR is more than plenty for most, but I think Panerai built the 100m, 44mm cased Luminor models to allow buyers to get in to the brand due to lower retail prices? If it were a screw down case back, it would be 300m WR and the retail would be higher. Based on the set position of the case back and 100m WR, I'm guessing it will be a pop on case back.

Many guys got in to Panerai with the 44mm cased, 300m Panerai's back in the late 90's. As such, there has been plenty of negative feedback on the pop on case backs. Most guys will never use a Panerai at depths of 300m, but the purists would almost certainly prefer the 300m WR case.

I wonder if it will have spring bars or screw pins.

It is a stunning dial.

Last edited by j111dja; 16th July 2020 at 01:06.

Master
    Where does it say it has a snap back caseback it looks like the traditional screw on based on the pictures??? Also, it's a Luminor not a Due snap backs are on the Due not the Luminor models I thought???

I like the blue dial Panerai's I'd be disappointed if this blue dialed base lookalike were not a screw on case back.
    Last edited by jk103; 16th July 2020 at 03:03.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    100m WR is more than plenty for most, but I think Panerai built the 100m, 44mm cased Luminor models to allow buyers to get in to the brand due to lower retail prices? If it were a screw down case back, it would be 300m WR and the retail would be higher. Based on the set position of the case back and 100m WR, I'm guessing it will be a pop on case back.

Many guys got in to Panerai with the 44mm cased, 300m Panerai's back in the late 90's. As such, there has been plenty of negative feedback on the pop on case backs. Most guys will never use a Panerai at depths of 300m, but the purists would almost certainly prefer the 300m WR case.

I wonder if it will have spring bars or screw pins.

It is a stunning dial.

It has screws not spring bars from what I’ve read

My 932 and my 372 are 100M WR
    This was more than enough for me and ,believe me, wherever I go my watch follows me ( swimming,fishing etc... )
    And about the spring bars...the Radiomir 932 has springbars but they are twice the size of normal ones

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Genuine question although I realise it sounds a bit ‘off’.....

Does that really matter in every day use?
    .... and if so, please could you tell me why?

I have a PAM390 which I love and the seller also made a point of telling me that it had a ‘proper’ WR of 300m and a solid case back but I’ve never understood the significance to an everyday non-diving watch-wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Where does it say it has a snap back caseback it looks like the traditional screw on based on the pictures??? Also, it's a Luminor not a Due snap backs are on the Due not the Luminor models I thought???

I like the blue dial Panerai's I'd be disappointed if this blue dialed base lookalike were not a screw on case back.
    Snap on csase back mentioned here https://watchbase.com/panerai/luminor/pam01085

My point about the 100m isn't to do with usage as yes 100m is more than enough for everyday use. The point being is it cost saving technique from the brand. Up until 3yrs (roughly) the same price point for an entry level base model had 300m, sandwich dial, screw in case back (arguably better in house movement) and screw pins for the straps. Now we have a painted dials, snap on case back, 100m, shared in house Richemont movement, and spring bars on some models.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I think I explained my reasoning behind it in my earlier response?
    Last edited by j111dja; 16th July 2020 at 11:08.

Snap on csase back mentioned here https://watchbase.com/panerai/luminor/pam01085

My point about the 100m isn't to do with usage as yes 100m is more than enough for everyday use. The point being is it cost saving technique from the brand. Up until 3yrs (roughly) the same price point for an entry level base model had 300m, sandwich dial, screw in case back (arguably better in house movement) and screw pins for the straps. Now we have a painted dials, snap on case back, 100m, shared in house Richemont movement, and spring bars on some models.
    Good point.

My 932 and my 372 are 100M WR
    This was more than enough for me and ,believe me, wherever I go my watch follows me ( swimming,fishing etc... )
    And about the spring bars...the Radiomir 932 has springbars but they are twice the size of normal ones

The 932 and 372 don't have the Luminor case. I think 100m water resistance on a 1950 case or a Radiomir case is fine and it is more than adequate. Cost cutting on a Luminor case by manufacturing it with a pop on case back is not the way to go. That's simply my point.

Spring bars on any Panerai is cost cutting. They do the job but I'm sure the purists would demand better from the brand.

Panerai have got things dramatically wrong in the past. We all know that. (It was shocking what was going on at times). I don't feel that spring bars and pop on case back are the way to go at their current retail prices, and I base that on 23 years of owner experience.
    Last edited by j111dja; 16th July 2020 at 12:12.

Craftsman

The worst thing is that most of that it isn’t even actual cost cutting - the additional cost of a screw back, spring bars etc. is peanuts compared to the cost of the watch. It’s deliberate value engineering to create a (still very expensive) entry level range. Which at the same time goes against their entire heritage as dive watches. Got to admit this one looks lovely but seems a shame that Panerai is playing things this way.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    The worst thing is that most of that it isn’t even actual cost cutting - the additional cost of a screw back, spring bars etc. is peanuts compared to the cost of the watch. It’s deliberate value engineering to create a (still very expensive) entry level range. Which at the same time goes against their entire heritage as dive watches. Got to admit this one looks lovely but seems a shame that Panerai is playing things this way.
    I totally agree.

I thought that the initial introduction of (flatter) snap-on casebacks & lessening of WR to 30 or 100m (thinner crystal) on the Due range was to do with removing height from the watch to appeal to those who wished to wear a Panerai with a suit & under a shirt-cuff.

I do, however, accept that everything is subject to bean-counter approval & the revised specifications for some watches may lead to manufacturing savings.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I thought that the initial introduction of (flatter) snap-on casebacks & lessening of WR to 30 or 100m (thinner crystal) on the Due range was to do with removing height from the watch to appeal to those who wished to wear a Panerai with a suit & under a shirt-cuff.

I do, however, accept that everything is subject to bean-counter approval & the revised specifications for some watches may lead to manufacturing savings.
    That was the case on the Due (but also shockingly poor to include the crown guard on that range - another argument I guess).

Think one of the logo base model (or Risti anniversary ones) 44mm Luminor started of the new movement, snap on case backs, springs bars etc. Or when they went 4 digits on the reference.

Having a new entry level price point (to save a few hundred) over the existing models, but what would be lessor watch (if we think back to the dive watch persona/ history Panerai want to have). Seems poor.

Good job there are enough models to satisfy most people, and 2nd hand prices for older models are lessor.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    Bingo. It's about tiering the Luminor range so 'entry level' - 100m, spring bars etc and 'normal level' - all the things you'd expect from a Luminor. What it allows Panerai to do is price what should be 'normal level' to be much more expensive. You see this with the new releases. It is what it is. I can accept those ideas on the Due as they're totally different watches, but on the standard Luminor it feels strange.

I'd love to try some of the newer Luminor models, but I'm also not fussed if pricing pushes me out of range. It's not like the old days where retention was what it was, you are likely to take a bit of a hit if you buy new and sell on. If that's the case I have 2 great PAMs I'll continue to enjoy (once i can go get them out of the safe!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    this model is screwback and screw bars, with 100WR. Also the applied lume is recessed lume, meaning lume applied to a cut out. Not the same as sandwhich BUT better than the printed it was before.

so, panerai have listened and upped the game.

If you want 300WR, sandwhich dials and quick release bars you pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    this model is screwback and screw bars, with 100WR. Also the applied lume is recessed lume, meaning lume applied to a cut out. Not the same as sandwhich BUT better than the printed it was before.

so, panerai have listened and upped the game.

If you want 300WR, sandwhich dials and quick release bars you pay more.
    I liked the standard raised lume on older models. The sandwich dial scenario was being rubbished on paneristi when it was introduced, but times change.

If it does have a screw back and the typical Luminor crown guard and 100m water resistance then why at this price point? How much more would a 300m water resistance case be to manufacture, as an example? How many years have Panerai been making 300m Luminor cases? I think there has been some valid points made so far.
    Last edited by j111dja; 16th July 2020 at 15:37.

Journeyman
    Didn't know they had a blue dial entry level watch. Looks awesome!

That was the case on the Due (but also shockingly poor to include the crown guard on that range - another argument I guess).
    I've always thought that the 1940s case, and not the Luminor, should have been the starting point for the Due range.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOmega View Post
    Didn't know they had a blue dial entry level watch. Looks awesome!
    just released and i agree, its a nice option

If it does have a screw back and the typical Luminor crown guard and 100m water resistance then why at this price point? How much more would a 300m water resistance case be to manufacture, as an example? How many years have Panerai been making 300m Luminor cases? I think there has been some valid points made so far.
    Is the middle part of the case any different for 100m or 300m WR? I assumed it was a thinner caseback, thinner crystal & therefore thinner SS bezel ring that reduces the WR?

I suspect that someone somewhere within Richemont has decided that the Luminor range has moved away from its roots as a 'diver' without a moveable bezel & is now a 'sports' watch, where 100m WR and a slightly flatter profile is deemed as acceptable by the manufacturer. Want a Panerai 'divers' watch? Buy a (perhaps more-expensive) moveable-bezelled Submersible: 300m/1000m/2500m etc. WR available.
    Last edited by jwg663; 16th July 2020 at 16:30.
    ______

​Jim.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is the middle part of the case any different for 100m or 300m WR? I assumed it was a thinner caseback, thinner crystal & therefore thinner SS bezel ring that reduces the WR?

I suspect that someone somewhere within Richemont has decided that the Luminor range has moved away from its roots as a 'diver' without a moveable bezel & is now a 'sports' watch, where 100m WR and a slightly flatter profile is deemed as acceptable by the manufacturer. Want a Panerai 'divers' watch? Buy a (perhaps more-expensive) moveable-bezelled Submersible: 300m/1000m/2500m etc. WR available.
    Or just choose a blue dial 1313, being a full fat diver 300m Luminor with all the fancy bits. No need for a Sub if you want to go fixed bezel. It comes at a premium, but Panerai are offering buyers the option of various features/price point combinations. You can even have a white dial version.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just released and i agree, its a nice option
    You got a 1313 on order?

I have no idea. Maybe they have used thinner components?

I think it looks good but I wouldn't buy one.

I can see where you're coming from.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    You got a 1313 on order?
    No, got enough blue at the moment but that’s a lovely watch, a lot to like about it

Cracking looking watch, too big for me, but very nice.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, got enough blue at the moment but that’s a lovely watch, a lot to like about it

- - - Updated - - -

A question of time.😉

The 932 and 372 don't have the Luminor case.
    I am sorry but I was under a strong impression that 372 is very close to Luminor if not one of the purest Luminor.....

Master
    Blog Entries
    A question of time.
    Haha, sounds like you know me too well!

I went and ordered the white one, hope I like it, white pams have never been my thing but this looks very cool

I am sorry but I was under a strong impression that 372 is very close to Luminor if not one of the purest Luminor.....

It is very close but they are different. I was comparing the Luminor case on the model discussed on the thread against the 932 and 372 case designs.

I prefer the 1950 case to the Luminor case of the 01085. Personal taste of course.

From Bob's Watches:

Luminor case: Debuted in 1993, shorter lugs, streamlined case, flatter crystal, no markings on crown guard, typically fitted with solid caseback.Bettarini's interpretation of the vintage Panerai model from 1950.

Luminor 1950 case: Debuted in 2002, longer lugs, U-shaped middle case, domed crystal, markings on crown guard, typically fitted with display caseback. Directly inspired by the vintage Panerai Luminor watches from 1950.

A quick example:

Last edited by j111dja; 16th July 2020 at 18:35.

It is very close but they are different. I was comparing the Luminor case on the model discussed on the thread against the 932 and 372 case designs.

I prefer the 1950 case to the Luminor case of the 01085. Personal taste of course.

From Bob's Watches:

Luminor case: Debuted in 1993, shorter lugs, streamlined case, flatter crystal, no markings on crown guard, typically fitted with solid caseback.Bettarini's interpretation of the vintage Panerai model from 1950.

Luminor 1950 case: Debuted in 2002, longer lugs, U-shaped middle case, domed crystal, markings on crown guard, typically fitted with display caseback. Directly inspired by the vintage Panerai Luminor watches from 1950.

A quick example:

I think the 372 (422 & a select few others) are in fact a hybrid of the 1950s Luminors & Radiomir cases (more radiomir with a crown protector).

Hence why they have 100m WR.

New PAM 01085

Yes the 372 is the modern version of the 6152 (think correct reference) Panerai with crown guard back used in WW2. Before this style is was the radiomir (no crown guard).

The 1940s case as they’re known I don’t think are an actual historic model (Richemont like to play with Panerai’s history).

Whilst the 1950s case (as per reference 312 etc not your 372) are the modern version of Panerai’s historic models. Cushion shaped cases round middle case.

The Luminors such as my 560, or 000 (more square cases side on) are known as Bettorini style case & are part of the Pre V Panerai & Richemont era. Basically the models that put the company back into existence.

Check out Perezscope in a search engine has a good pictorial diagram to show the history.

Pretty certain the above is correct but just going on my limit knowledge mind you.

Or just choose a blue dial 1313, being a full fat diver 300m Luminor with all the fancy bits. No need for a Sub if you want to go fixed bezel. It comes at a premium, but Panerai are offering buyers the option of various features/price point combinations. You can even have a white dial version.
    But those are too thick and have subseconds.

Oh I wish they produced a 44mm 372 (or better still a 42mm)

And no the 390 doesn’t count

I expect you’re are correct. Still odd as 44 & 47mm are still too big for the majority of us to wear.

I've always thought that the 1940s case, and not the Luminor, should have been the starting point for the Due range.
    . Some of those dials on the Due are lovely. Just put of by the 30m WR. They proved they could go 100m with the 1940s.

But I expect the Due sell well to the general public rather to Ristis (odd bunch) & WIS (just as odd)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That looks superb. Prefer a brushed case though.

That looks superb. Prefer a brushed case though.
    It's not too bad. No brushing on the Bettorini cases, though tbh I don't mind the full polished (actually crown is the only part brushed). I guess you have the 01313 for those who really need a brushed case...

Will be great to see side by side shots of this 01085 and the 01313 to compare blues.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's not too bad. No brushing on the Bettorini cases, though tbh I don't mind the full polished (actually crown is the only part brushed). I guess you have the 01313 for those who really need a brushed case...

Will be great to see side by side shots of this 01085 and the 01313 to compare blues.
    I am reckoning the 1313 (or 1314) will be the pick of the 2020 releases (to date). A certain someone already has the white dial, and it looks epic.

I am reckoning the 1313 (or 1314) will be the pick of the 2020 releases (to date). A certain someone already has the white dial, and it looks epic.
    Interesting to see what the white dial looks like!

Oh SJX has a write up on this 01085 - it seems official release is today. Confirms not screw down case back and also screwed lugs (not spring) https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/07/pan...e-pam1085.html

EDIT - one other thought occurred to me when we discuss the dial and sandwich vs non sandwich. IIRC, the 'logo' based watches 000 and 005 never had sandwich dials - logo watches have traditionally been entry level. In that regards, this watch is consistent. The aspect of contention we have versus the older models is the 100m WR? If the price was more acceptable than the €5400 I'd be ok with that. But as it stands, the watch is not cheap.
    Last edited by crazyp; 20th July 2020 at 10:40.

Well mine (blue dial 01085) should arrive tomorrow so I'll post some (inevitably poor) real world shots as soon as I get home....
    Last edited by spuds; 20th July 2020 at 12:33. Reason: number added for clarity

Well mine (blue dial) should arrive tomorrow so I'll post some (inevitably poor) real world shots as soon as I get home....
    Congrats!!!!! Where did you order from?

Congrats!!!!! Where did you order from?

Hello mate, ordered online direct from Panerai....

Craftsman
    Beautiful blue dial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hello mate, ordered online direct from Panerai....
    I believe these can only be bought direct from Panerai via the website.
    Not been able to confirm this but if it is so, that’s a fair change in business model for Panerai and their AD’s!

Master
    Well mine (blue dial 01085) should arrive tomorrow so I'll post some (inevitably poor) real world shots as soon as I get home....
    Congrats. I am tempted but I never seem to keep Panerai’s.
    Looks great on the white rubber strap as well so will make a great summer/beach watch.

Well mine arrived today and I absolutely love it!!

(but by God I hate photobucket!!)

Last edited by spuds; 21st July 2020 at 21:35. Reason: Trying to upload pics! Sussed it!!!