closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breitling Navitimer

Journeyman

Breitling Navitimer

Ive always had a yearning for the Navitimer. As I get older and start falling apart Im beginning to think it would be nice to get an older model, which looks a bit down on its luck, had a hard life and needs a helping hand.
    Ive seen Breitling do a sterling , if expensive, job of servicing their produce. Has anyone ever used them to resurrect a battered watch or would I be better using an independent?

I could buy a new model but like the idea of giving life back to a vintage piece.

Any pointers as to where I can research the model, either online or in print?

btw first post, thanks for having me

Welcome aboard neighbour.
    Here's a starter for one:

https://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v...p?f=11&t=67337

I used to have a Twinjet Navitimer 806; I loved it but my failing eyesight meant that I found it almost impossible to read, so I let it go:

Then I found a giant-size Twinjet 1861 (made for airline pilots with poor eyesight?) which ticked all the boxes, even down to a bit of shabby chic so that I can add to the lived-a-life look without stressing:

Last edited by unclealec; 15th July 2020 at 16:54.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post

Thank you. Ive somehow never managed to see that before. Should keep me busy for a month or two

I'll just throw these up here to whet your appetite a little more...

Two different watches, both from 1966. My favourite dial configuration too, as I think the small white subdials are by far the nicest.

When I got my 809, the general view was that Breitling isn't a good place to get a vintage piece restored or serviced as they were too keen to swap parts, but with the new 806 reissue, that may not be so true now.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman

Oh dear.

I used to have a Twinjet Navitimer 806; I loved it but my failing eyesight meant that I found it almost impossible to read, so I let it go:

Then I found a giant-size Twinjet 1861 (made for airline pilots with poor eyesight?) which ticked all the boxes, even down to a bit of shabby chic so that I can add to the lived-a-life look without stressing:

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Two different watches, both from 1966. My favourite dial configuration too, as I think the small white

subdials are by far the nicest.
    I think I may need at least two now. Those white dials are stunning.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    When I got my 809, the general view was that Breitling isn't a good place to get a vintage piece restored or serviced as they were too keen to swap parts, but with the new 806 reissue, that may not be so true now.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Is it a good idea overall though? . I love the look of the used and abused. I’ve got a couple of watches as old as me and the things they have been though. I’d love a navitomer that’s seen a bit of life
    Last edited by Watching brief; 15th July 2020 at 19:22. Reason: Spelling error

I have just done that exact thing
    I found a vintage Navitimer it arrived last week and it’s in need of a service.
    One thing to note is water resistance - it’s non existent. This means lots have moisture damage and this can spoil the dial.
    Other than that most movement parts are obtainable so it is possible.

Due to the water resistance it won’t be an everyday wearer but I do have the Sinn homage to the Rotary Chavitimer for that.

The 903 has a nice combination of vintage looks but increased water resistance and movement durability.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Here are a couple of modern ones to consider- my 806 re-issue is on the right

Journeyman
    I was reading though shouldn’t the traditional dial be black with white hands to help legibility? The blue are very nice though

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

One thing to note is water resistance - it’s non existent. This means lots have moisture damage and this can spoil the dial.

Due to the water resistance it won’t be an everyday wearer but I do have the Sinn homage to the Rotary Chavitimer for that.

The 903 has a nice combination of vintage looks but increased water resistance and movement durability.
    Are you intending to have it serviced or are you happy as it is? It must be a buzz to bring something back from the dead. Lovely watch btw

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Two different watches, both from 1966. My favourite dial configuration too, as I think the small white subdials are by far the nicest.
    These are absolutely stunning. My birth year too!

To the OP, my first (and only!) thread that I started on here was about the Navitimer. In my case, I was in a dilemma regarding the then newly issued 806 reissue. In the end I decided against it and vowed to search out a vintage piece, ideally a birth year example, hence the excitement about the two above!

I’ve looked at a few watches in the intervening months but realistically, it will be another year or so before I’m in a position to purchase a nice example, so this topic is of great interest to me. I’d hope to give a good home to a well loved but also well worn watch, so servicing might be a priority, when the time comes. I’ll follow the thread with interest.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    These are absolutely stunning. My birth year too!

To the OP, my first (and only!) thread that I started on here was about the Navitimer. In my case, I was in a dilemma regarding the then newly issued 806 reissue. In the end I decided against it and vowed to search out a vintage piece, ideally a birth year example, hence the excitement about the two above!

I’ve looked at a few watches in the intervening months but realistically, it will be another year or so before I’m in a position to purchase a nice example, so this topic is of great interest to me. I’d hope to give a good home to a well loved but also well worn watch, so servicing might be a priority, when the time comes. I’ll follow the thread with interest.
    Good luck with your search. I’m trying to find out if it is realistic or sensible to try to breathe life into a well worn watch. Having neither the skill nor the knowledge to do this self I would need to use an expert? I think I may just have to buy one and take it from there .

This 1965 Navi had a hard life, All the stopwatch hands were off due to being dropped and the crystal was split top to bottom, The crystal may have been absent for some time too as there's actual wear on the edges of the dial!!

Had it given as a freebie!, I sent it off to Steve Burrage at Rite Time and a for £28 plus return postage he refitted the hands and a new crystal, I think he cleaned the dial too as it seemed better than before I sent it!!

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Had it given as a freebie!
    That's a very generous gesture and a lovely watch. I've a 1965 806 that I bought for a special occasion and occasional office wear. It's a truly lovely thing but as I now work from home I've rarely worn it other than for a few hours occasionally to keep it healthy so feel guilty about that!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

I like the vintage ones a lot.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Watching brief View Post
    Are you intending to have it serviced or are you happy as it is? It must be a buzz to bring something back from the dead. Lovely watch btw
    Its with the watch maker currently. It’s in good condition just needs a service to make sure it’s working correctly.

Who’s doing the work?

Journeyman

Wow.

Its with the watch maker currently. It’s in good condition just needs a service to make sure it’s working correctly.
    Id love to see before and after shots. I hope it comes back as good as new.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1972 View Post
    I like the vintage ones a lot.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Id agree. The black faced ones look classy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    This 1965 Navi had a hard life, All the stopwatch hands were off due to being dropped and the crystal was split top to bottom, The crystal may have been absent for some time too as there's actual wear on the edges of the dial!!

Had it given as a freebie!, I sent it off to Steve Burrage at Rite Time and a for £28 plus return postage he refitted the hands and a new crystal, I think he cleaned the dial too as it seemed better than before I sent it!!

John
    For such a beautiful looking watch they do suit the "Hard life" look dont they? Id imagine the chances of me not buying one in the next few weeks is bordering on nil. The only problem is I may look for the biggest pile of junk I can find with a view to treating it as a humanitarian aid project.

Master
    Some lovely pieces here, although not a vintage I had an 01 43mm with brown croc strap and its one of the few pieces I regret letting go and typically Ive not seen anything come up since :(

Journeyman

I was watching the Urban gentry talking about the history of the navitimer on youtube. I know he isnt everyones favourite but he knows far more than me and Im happy to get knowledge where I can. He was saying the parts were used in other watches and actually showed the Sinn. Is there a certain era or model of Sinn this relates to would you know?

My question is which independent are we trusting to service these

Here’s mine to give another option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always the option of the Cosmonaute 809, my personal love.

Yes, it's a LITTLE harder to read the time at a glance than an 806, but you very quickly adapt to it.

Looking back, I should have picked up a nice 806 at the same time, but you live and learn

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Banned
    I’m also beginning to appreciate the navitimer, the only breitling to interest me to be honest. I love the 38mm versions. Will be following this thread with interest

...He was saying the parts were used in other watches and actually showed the Sinn. Is there a certain era or model of Sinn this relates to would you know?
    When Breitling went bust in the late 70s Sinn bought the rights to make the Navitimer design but not to use the name hence the 903
    Some early 903 may have used Breitling parts. When Breitling came back in to being Sinn modified the 903 design by adding the crown at 10:30. This crown turns the internal bezel, is a bit more fiddly but it works. One bonus is the increased water resistance to 100m
    Most of the original Breitling branded Navitimer parts stock was bought by O&W and they put them together to release the ‘Aviation’ branded O&W Navitmers. These were still available NOS until a few years ago (I wish I had bought one)

I have said it before numerous times but the day I buy a 809 Cosmonaut like Snowman’s is the day I stop watch collecting. (I almost did earlier in the month)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 17th July 2020 at 09:07.

Journeyman

Yes, it's a LITTLE harder to read the time at a glance than an 806, but you very quickly adapt to it.

Looking back, I should have picked up a nice 806 at the same time, but you live and learn

M
    Having looked at the Cosmonaut and read a little about them that means I will now to need to have at least two navitimers

Journeyman

M
    Having looked at the Cosmonaut and read a little about them that means I will now to need to have at least two navitimers

Hey WB, have you come across "The Book"?

Glossy coffee-table-top discourse on the firm and the products. IMHO not over-forthcoming on facts and figures, but nevertheless a Breitfest of drool-inducing loveliness.

They are available secondhand from time to time, but never seem to be cheap.

If only you were close to someone with a copy and a delightful warm friendly personality that you couldn't helpbut warm to.

Journeyman

Smile

[QUOTE=unclealec;5481581]Hey WB, have you come across "The Book"?

Glossy coffee-table-top discourse on the firm and the products. IMHO not over-forthcoming on facts and figures, but nevertheless a Breitfest of drool-inducing loveliness.

If only you were close to someone with a copy and a delightful warm friendly personality that you couldn't helpbut warm to.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey WB, have you come across "The Book"?

If only. Where would I ever find anything like that mythical person local to me? Lol
    Last edited by Watching brief; 17th July 2020 at 22:28.

Journeyman
    Breitling the book starting on eBay at £100. Expensive hobby this isn’t it?

Master
    Love my 806 re-issue!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    Love my 806 re-issue!

Stunning.

Master
    Love my 806 re-issue!

Beautiful watch just traded mine for my GS unfortunately.... but come on get those stickers off

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Beautiful watch just traded mine for my GS unfortunately.... but come on get those stickers off
    Excuse my ignorance but...........what stickers? Am I missing something ?

Master
    If you look at the lugs you will see the original manufacturers stickers still in place and along the case sides

PS I know what they are because I removed them from my 806. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Cat7; 18th July 2020 at 20:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    haha don't you worry, they are off, this was the first pic I took of it so stickered up!

I'm with Watching Brief here - what stickers?

Another admiring vote for the re-issue.

Master
    I'm with Watching Brief here - what stickers?

Another admiring vote for the re-issue.
    See it now?

Journeyman
    See it now?
    Lol. Well spotted.

Ah! Yes!
    I was judging by my own standards - I thought it was a scratch.

so who do we trust to service these watches apart from breitling themselves??

Master
    Stunning.
    It's a lug with sticker in place, but whatever floats your boat.

I don't think I have seen lug stickers before - honestly. I am not known for buying new watches.

Breitling Navitimer

Been looking at a Navi for a while. I’ve settle on filling 3 missing slots in my collection with one watch.
    1. Blue Dial
    2. GMT
    3. Chrono.

Couldn’t be happier!

but who do we trust to service the movement ,especially the cal 11

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    but who do we trust to service the movement ,especially the cal 11
    https://www.prestigetimeservices.co.uk/our-services/

https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/our-brand/breitling/

etc

Journeyman

That’s a beUTY

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Been looking at a Navi for a while. I’ve settle on filling 3 missing slots in my collection with one watch.
    1. Blue Dial
    2. GMT
    3. Chrono.

Couldn’t be happier!

How old is it?