closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What dog to choose?

Blog Entries

What dog to choose?

What dog to choose? Let me explain.

We were looking for a new home. So... we ended up buying a house on 6+ acres of woodland. In a small country like The Netherlands, it's rather difficult to find a proper plot and 6 acres is nearly impossible to find.

The 1970 house (I think you'd call it a 'semi bungalow') is wonderfully renovated by the current owners and originally, it was totally surrounded with high trees. Now, there are two large lawns, a pond, a meadow for horses and woodland. On top of that, there's a run-down summer holiday home (earmarked to become my wife's sewing and painting workshop once renovated) en a biiiiiig garage/workshop measuring 22 x 9 m (70 x 30 ft). On the 6+ acres you can spot foxes and roe deer and there are two 'badger castles' on the plot as well. The owner showed me vids on his phone with roe deer walking on the lawn. The house is situated in an area that used to be owned by the royal family; in fact, my next-door neighbour is technically the King...

Apart from all of the above, as you can imagine, the location is pretty remote and quiet. So we're thinking about buying a dog again. We (my wife and I) are used to rottweilers and bull terriers; we both had those dogs when we were young, still living at home with our parents. The dog(s) need to be watchful, impressive and not the sort that chases wildlife. Or is this combination too much to ask?

I would really like to read your ideas and experiences.

Menno

Master
    It sounds positively idyllic. All dogs will chase and pursue other creatures if the opportunity arises. Some people will come along and suggest specific breeds. I wouldn’t be too preoccupied with breeds. But definitely get a rescue dog. Don’t buy when plenty of wonderful hounds are waiting to be rehomed from rescue centres. With all that space you could even get more than one.

Yes too much to ask. So much as a squirrel sighting will send any healthy dog crazy.
    Left to roam 6+ acres they will chase anything that moves.
    Kept in an enclosed area / garden they will bark at anything that moves.
    Kept in a house they will bark at anything outside they hear or see move.

That is my experience anyway and i have been around a wide variety of dogs from poddles to fancy toy dogs, sheep dogs, guard dogs, hounds, retreaver types, terriers, cross breeds and unkown mixes.

I have seen the odd dog that is generally useless and doesnt pay attention to anything much but they were not desirable dogs IMO.

After a lifetime of experience i came to the conclusion that the best dogs for me are ones that dont molt hardly at all, and that is what i have now. A cross between a Bichon Frise and Shih Tzu. Never find dog hair anywhere ever, bliss

Craftsman
    In a remote situation as you describe I would look for a German Shepherd. A big deterrent to would be n'er do wells & not as keen on chasing as say a spaniel or Labrador.

There is only one Menno and you know it.

Dot won't chase wildlife - people, that's another matter!

Cheers,
    Neil.

BTW congratulations on your new home. It sounds gorgeous.

Best regards to the family.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Similar sentiment to others. A rescue dog or two. Karma will smile.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Similar sentiment to others. A rescue dog or two. Karma will smile.
    And again!

BTW it sounds a fantastic house - I hope you and your 'pack' are very happy there

Please go for a rescue (or two) :-)

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great new house, congratulations.

If you can rescue a dog that would be brilliant, so many just want to have a home and feel part of a family. They may be harder work sometimes, but they give a lot back.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

What dog to choose?

If you are used to big dogs then IMO there’s only one choice a Dogue De Bourdeux, big and strong, too lazy to chase anything, loyal to the end, great with kids and just all round amazing companions just don’t call it Hooch

and there’s plenty in the rescues as they have size 10 feet and slobber a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a lovely house, congratulations. If I ever have a house with land like that I'm getting at least one Leonberger. Beautiful dogs.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Wow - what a beautiful dog!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Wow - what a beautiful dog!
    Absolutely

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Beautiful dogs, a friend of mine had one called Elvis. I used to pick him up and he would stay the same shape, with no movement at all ..I was gutted when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Absolutely
    Thanks guys, she is a great companion and full of fun

I can tell you what not to get - any kind of a sighthound (greyhound, saluki, lurcher, etc.), they'll chase anything except people - they love burglars, fawn over thieves, leave-home with poachers, etc.

Wouldn't be without ours, but they are beyond useless!

There are people who will sell you a fully trained guard dog - and that includes training to ignore anything except human intruders. Not cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Beautiful dogs, a friend of mine had one called Elvis. I used to pick him up and he would stay the same shape, with no movement at all ..I was gutted when he died.

Cheers Toady.

There is truly nothing else like them - or looks like them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    German Shepherd, always had them in the family until recently and they've been great. Id have one in a heartbeat. Total watchers and also great big softies.

Grand Master
    A couple of well- trained Alsatians would be my choice, they always look scary. I like dogs, I grew up with a boxer, I now look after stepdaughters Labrador most days and I’m v. comfortable around dogs, but there’s something about Alsatians that still makes me wary. In the past they were v. popular as guard dogs and there were lots of poorly bred examples around, I got bitten by one whilst out running as a teenager and I’ve never forgotten it.

Ideally, you want a dog thats soft and friendly but looks scary, not sure what breed fits the bill. Labrador’s no good, typical labdador would wag its tail and lick an intruder! Mine is a typical example, not the brightest of dogs but easy to train and very good- natured.

You may consider a couple of Malinois,or its Dutch cousin, the Hollandse herder, very dependable and scary when they need to be.
    The Bouvier des Flandres is also relevant, not to mention the Saarloos wolfhond if you want to spend time with the breeding program to expand the race.

But ideally, a couple of rescue would be perfect, as your children are old enough and you could offer them a slice of paradise.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Get a few diminutive Yorkshire Terriers, when I did my paper round in the 80's, it was those blighters' who always got their molers around my new Reeboks, quick little ratters who hate post men and burglers.

Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Journeyman
    I’m allergic to dogs but daughter was getting a phobia so we had to buy one. After a bit of research we bought a labradoodle. Luckily she doesn’t shed her coat. I’d say one of the best things I’ve ever done. Sure she can be a pain, but she is always super excited to see you. After a hard day at work she always there to cheer me up. I’d neve r be without one now. I’d be tempted to have two.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    One of Europe's top breeders lives in my town as I found out when googling 'Rodesian Ridgeback pups'. His dogs have won an endless list of prizes. I'll contact him.

Master
    I would go for a pair of Labradors. Ours is very wary of strangers and gives a good deep bark and won’t approach until told it is OK to. Our neighbour’s is exactly the same and at a couple of years old is a big enough dog to make people think twice. Scary enough but unlikely to actually attack someone.

On the adoption vs puppy question, we tried to adopt before we got Rosie but we couldn’t find a suitable dog and were actually advised by the Labrador Rescue Trust to get a puppy.

(Unnecessary picture of Rosie)

Blog Entries
    A family a few blocks away have adopted a schnauzer x choc lab mix rescue dog last May (then an 8 month old pup). It's really a very attractive dog with -as far as I can tell- a very relaxed character. A deep-brown colour with a dark caramel-coloured face, the head of a schnauzer and the otter-tail of a lab. The coat is thicker than a lab's and the dog really loves to swim! The owners are a soft-spoken couple with very clear & positive communication towards the dog. You can see that he benefits from that.

I've been looking on the internet for a similar dog, but I haven't found one yet.

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Yes too much to ask. So much as a squirrel sighting will send any healthy dog crazy.
    Left to roam 6+ acres they will chase anything that moves.
    Not if they are trained, like kids many dogs are left to do what they want and a good sort out stops them.

For the OP don’t bother about getting a guard dog just get a dog that you want. If you want warning that someone might be about get half a dozen Guinea foul they will let you know if anyone is about and you can eat them when they breed.

If anyone goes after the badger sets just phone the police, they might not do anything but if you try and be smart you’ll probably find yourself in the hospital as they go prepared and no dog you have will stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Portuguese Water Dog - ideal for your new pond and general Dutch waterways :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

There are people who will sell you a fully trained guard dog - and that includes training to ignore anything except human intruders. Not cheap...
    I took on a German Shepherd that had been trained as a guard dog. If you were allowed in, he would die for you. If you weren’t allowed in he would have died trying to keep you out.

For some reason he hated skinheads. At the time I was running a pub as a favour to a friend. After closing one Saturday I walked to the local Chinese to get a takeaway. They didn’t mind him coming in, we were regular customers, so walked straight in. Three skinheads in there and he went straight at it!
    Not sure who was more scared, them or me!
    A hasty retreat to the chippy, but he still got a jumbo sausage!
    I wouldn’t recommend taking on a trained guard dog as a family pet.
    RIP Karl. Never backed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    A friend of mine has a Chihuahua called Elvis. When I stay round there, Elvis nips under the covers and sleeps by my bits.

What dog to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    One of Europe's top breeders lives in my town as I found out when googling 'Rodesian Ridgeback pups'. His dogs have won an endless list of prizes. I'll contact him.
    My friend on dartmoor would find their dog bringing home deer. Might not be the best if you want to keep on good terms with the neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I would go for a pair of Labradors. Ours is very wary of strangers and gives a good deep bark and won’t approach until told it is OK to. Our neighbour’s is exactly the same and at a couple of years old is a big enough dog to make people think twice. Scary enough but unlikely to actually attack someone.

On the adoption vs puppy question, we tried to adopt before we got Rosie but we couldn’t find a suitable dog and were actually advised by the Labrador Rescue Trust to get a puppy.

(Unnecessary picture of Rosie)

This picture I would get blown up and frame...great photography.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A cautionary tale..

When Mrs R finally persuaded me to get another dog (our second Boxer lost his battle with Cushings aged 7) we decided a rescue was the way to go. After looking around the Dogs Trust and various re homing sites we started looking at dogs from abroad. We thought that these were the dogs that were in most need of rescuing. We also had a couple of family friends that had re homed dogs from Romania.
    Long story short, we rescued a handsome little terrier cross from Hungary who at first seemed a calm little gent. Six weeks later he has a developed a few problems when outside of the house. A lot of it is our fault as we tried to do too much with him too soon so we now have a behaviorist helping us with him and i'm sure we will fix him.

My point is that not all adult dogs will fit straight in with your way of living and are not as flexible as a puppy would be. Rescuing is a noble deed but make sure you have done your research and have the time and patience. There are some good books on rescuing from abroad, I wish we had read them first!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

My second favourite breed of dog.

A thing of beauty!

What dog to choose? Let me explain.

We were looking for a new home. So... we ended up buying a house on 6+ acres of woodland. In a small country like The Netherlands, it's rather difficult to find a proper plot and 6 acres is nearly impossible to find.

The 1970 house (I think you'd call it a 'semi bungalow') is wonderfully renovated by the current owners and originally, it was totally surrounded with high trees. Now, there are two large lawns, a pond, a meadow for horses and woodland. On top of that, there's a run-down summer holiday home (earmarked to become my wife's sewing and painting workshop once renovated) en a biiiiiig garage/workshop measuring 22 x 9 m (70 x 30 ft). On the 6+ acres you can spot foxes and roe deer and there are two 'badger castles' on the plot as well. The owner showed me vids on his phone with roe deer walking on the lawn. The house is situated in an area that used to be owned by the royal family; in fact, my next-door neighbour is technically the King...

Apart from all of the above, as you can imagine, the location is pretty remote and quiet. So we're thinking about buying a dog again. We (my wife and I) are used to rottweilers and bull terriers; we both had those dogs when we were young, still living at home with our parents. The dog(s) need to be watchful, impressive and not the sort that chases wildlife. Or is this combination too much to ask?

I would really like to read your ideas and experiences.

Menno
    I can recommend a Greyhound.

Lazy, crazy, devoted, wouldn't harm a fly, bundle of joy. Hopeless as a guard dog.

You won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    A cautionary tale..

When Mrs R finally persuaded me to get another dog (our second Boxer lost his battle with Cushings aged 7) we decided a rescue was the way to go. After looking around the Dogs Trust and various re homing sites we started looking at dogs from abroad. We thought that these were the dogs that were in most need of rescuing. We also had a couple of family friends that had re homed dogs from Romania.
    Long story short, we rescued a handsome little terrier cross from Hungary who at first seemed a calm little gent. Six weeks later he has a developed a few problems when outside of the house. A lot of it is our fault as we tried to do too much with him too soon so we now have a behaviorist helping us with him and i'm sure we will fix him.

My point is that not all adult dogs will fit straight in with your way of living and are not as flexible as a puppy would be. Rescuing is a noble deed but make sure you have done your research and have the time and patience. There are some good books on rescuing from abroad, I wish we had read them first!!
    It's not the dog's fault it can't understand English!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    I can recommend a Greyhound.

Lazy, crazy, devoted, wouldn't harm a fly, bundle of joy. Hopeless as a guard dog.

You won't regret it!
    Not sure about the "won't chase wildlife" thing - we've got two whippets and they are many wonderful things, but inclined to ignore squirrels, hares, rabbits, deer, foxes, etc: they are not! :-)

Totally agree that sighthounds make no sense as guard dogs. Ours would welcome a burglar with open arms and probably lead him straight to the safe.

I'm not sure choosing the dog to suit the house is the best approach. It is too much like buying accessories or furniture. Go to the dog rescue centre and the right dog will choose you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    I'm not sure choosing the dog to suit the house is the best approach. It is too much like buying accessories or furniture. Go to the dog rescue centre and the right dog will choose you.
    Wholeheartedly agree
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

American Bulldog (little doggie de Boudreaux and staffy in the mix for my Mimi) but they are cracking dogs and imao tick all the boxes for you : not as soppy as an English bull terrier or as naughty as a Boxer but still tons of personality.
    Big enough to be imposing without being monsters and give off a great ‘don’t mess with my family’ look/vibe without actually being remotely aggressive and so much more fun than a Ridgeback (a breed I know very well and love but they can be a bit serious and moody).
    The other dog I can’t recommend highly enough for your situation is a Doberman (they really are super dogs and clever buggers t’boot)!
    Would you get one or two dogs? if you have the space I would say get a couple of whatever you decide on, I wish I had the foresight -and nuts to overrule the Mrs- to have done that with mine
    Good luck , I envy your predicament.

IMG_2646.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    In a remote situation as you describe I would look for a German Shepherd. A big deterrent to would be n'er do wells & not as keen on chasing as say a spaniel or Labrador.
    Agree with this, would be my first choice, and Gurmot that is a fantastic picture
    Last edited by Crispin; 24th July 2020 at 17:25.

Another thing you may want to consider: Dogs have a limited lifespan and will break your heart when their time comes, every time. There is a rule that unfortunately suffers few exceptions, larger breed have a shorter average lifespan.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

We have a Large Munsterlander and a Springer Spaniel. Spaniels are easy to train and don’t really chase wildlife. That is why they are so good as gun dogs. They retrieve when you ask them to. My little Springer Ossie is a gun dog and loyal, great fun and would die for us. He doesn’t chase wildlife and I can sit him in the middle of a flock of birds and he is steady and won’t react. Clyde our big fella is the gentlest dog I have ever come across. Munsterlander are German originally but are very much like Stabybouns that are bred in the Netherlands and originate from Friesland. Gorgeous looking both breeds and lovely temperaments. You don’t see many about, particularly the Stabybouns which are quite rare. We are always getting stopped by people asking what breed Clyde is. Wouldn’t swop either for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Another thing you may want to consider: Dogs have a limited lifespan and will break your heart when their time comes, every time. There is a rule that unfortunately suffers few exceptions, larger breed have a shorter average lifespan.
    This^^^^is the heartbreaking truth.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    We have a Large Munsterlander and a Springer Spaniel. Spaniels are easy to train and don’t really chase wildlife. That is why they are so good as gun dogs. They retrieve when you ask them to. My little Springer Ossie is a gun dog and loyal, great fun and would die for us. He doesn’t chase wildlife and I can sit him in the middle of a flock of birds and he is steady and won’t react. Clyde our big fella is the gentlest dog I have ever come across. Munsterlander are German originally but are very much like Stabybouns that are bred in the Netherlands and originate from Friesland. Gorgeous looking both breeds and lovely temperaments. You don’t see many about, particularly the Stabybouns which are quite rare. We are always getting stopped by people asking what breed Clyde is. Wouldn’t swop either for the world.

Great story about the stabybouns, we call them 'Stabij' pronounced like 'sta' in 'star' and 'bij' is more or less pronounced like 'bye'.

As a matter of fact, this type of dog was mentioned during my week of sailing (this week). One of the people wanting to learn to sail, has a stabij. She's really over the moon with that dog!

The jury is still out on this one. @ Neil.C: my wife mentioned an EBT when I returned home from the prementioned sailing week...

Menno

Great story about the stabybouns, we call them 'Stabij' pronounced like 'sta' in 'star' and 'bij' is more or less pronounced like 'bye'.

As a matter of fact, this type of dog was mentioned during my week of sailing (this week). One of the people wanting to learn to sail, has a stabij. She's really over the moon with that dog!

The jury is still out on this one. @ Neil.C: my wife mentioned an EBT when I returned home from the prementioned sailing week...

Menno
    Always listen to the wife Menno, she is very wise!

(says Dot)

Cheers,
    Neil.