closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: S/S 321 is shipping....

Craftsman

S/S 321 is shipping....

I must say that is a thing of beauty

Master
    The only watch I genuinely want; but getting one is likely to be far more difficult than a ceramic Daytona. Because the numbers are small. I won’t go ‘grey’ so a long wait beckons.

Great watch; stupid price.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The only watch I genuinely want; but getting one is likely to be far more difficult than a ceramic Daytona. Because the numbers are small. I won’t go ‘grey’ so a long wait beckons.
    You just need to prey that Kash buys one - then don't take your eyes off SC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    Great watch; stupid price.
    If it does sell, how can the price be ‘stupid’? It’s what the market will pay, the only method I know to accurately judge price.
    Or should Omega copy Rolex and hand the big profits to grey resellers? They certainly know how to extract every last penny....

Master
    Must say thanks to the price this is one I'm really glad I'm not so keen on. The idea of the 321 re-release is great, but the price seems really bonkers to me. I'm rather glad I much prefer the look of the standard moonwatch with the lyre lugs.

Pity though, as the movement looks really great through the caseback.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Thanks for the mention! I love the watch (it is mine), and it is an amazing piece of work. The price is topic of discussion, but I can definitely feel and see the difference with the regular Moonwatch(es) I have. As written in the article, it seems that the entire production of this watch is very costly (and perhaps more costly than Omega expected it to be). But to me it is worth it, as I have been longing for a modern Speedmaster with caliber 321 almost as long as I collect Speedmasters (since 1999).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best modern Speedy by a country mile, IMO. Far too expensive for what it is, though, and whilst one might put forward the "if it sells..." argument it remains to be seen whether the used price tanks over time.

Shame, as I'd love to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ....one might put forward the "if it sells..." argument it remains to be seen whether the used price tanks over time....
    Since they have said, supply will be by nature limited, they'll be able to keep on eye on resale prices, and make sure that they don't satiate demand. With less than 2,000 of the 321 calibre being produced each year, people are already not expecting to buy one with any great ease.

Craftsman

Grey.

Best modern Speedy by a country mile, IMO. Far too expensive for what it is, though, and whilst one might put forward the "if it sells..." argument it remains to be seen whether the used price tanks over time.

Shame, as I'd love to own one.
    The Grey market will very quickly start to get these filtering in from the AD’s loyal customers(Flippers) and would not be surprised to see these priced by the dealers at Ceramic Daytona levels initially but whether this 321 holds the same kind of draw for the Instagram wrist flashers to maintain that level of price only time will tell. Collectors genuinely looking to get this and retain will be on the list and probably happy to sit and wait for the call, no need to go grey and pay the inflated cost.

Personally this 321 is what the 50th Anniversary of the Moon landing should have been.

A thing of beauty.
    Price will always be contentious, as it is with many other models/brands but it is in the same ballpark as a good condition original (better than mine).

Last edited by Stanford; 14th July 2020 at 17:39.

At the price are these really going to be that hard to get?

Master
    Well, if prices dropped, that would be excellent. But I can’t see it. This is a handmade, production-limited version of one of the most famous watches of all time. There are, apparently, many thousands already on the list. It will take years just to fulfill those initial orders.
    But , we’l see. A clue is the stunningly costly platinum version .....do you see any of those floating about, unsold?
    To me, none of the reissues by rival firms can touch the history and authenticity of this 321. So, I’m clearly smitten and biased.

Master
    I like it and if enough people do it will hold it’s value (which makes coughing up this amount of money a lot easier).
    I personally think it’s an enthusiasts watch and don’t think it will generate the same sort of mania and premium that a steel Daytona does.
    I would personally prefer Hesalite and a non-ceramic bezel.
    Will be following the waiting lists and pre-owned market with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The Snoopy is an ‘enthusiasts’ watch, now going upward of £30,000. Virtually every limited edition of the Moonwatch has surged in price. For example, the Tin Tin has doubled in value is just a couple if years. And you think the 321 won’t hold or increase value? Good luck with that theory.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th July 2020 at 20:56.

The Snoopy is an ‘enthusiasts’ watch, now going upward of £30,000. Virtually every limited edition of the Moonwatch has surged in price. For example, the Tin Tin has doubled in value is just a couple if years. And you think the 321 won’t hold or increase value? Good luck with that theory.
    Well the 321 isn't a limited edition for starters. Speaking to other collectors, most are still unsure which way this will go value wise. Let's see.

I'm not a Speedy fan, nor a fauxtina fan, but in my eyes this is the best modern Speedy released. Does the limited nature of production mean we are unlikely to see other variants with the 321 movement?

I emailed the London boutique 2 days ago and was told that they are only expecting 3 this year....

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Must say thanks to the price this is one I'm really glad I'm not so keen on. The idea of the 321 re-release is great, but the price seems really bonkers to me. I'm rather glad I much prefer the look of the standard moonwatch with the lyre lugs.

Pity though, as the movement looks really great through the caseback.
    I do like this release, although the current Speedy has more attractive lugs, but a less appealing size.

I would love one, but at that money it is a collectors piece, I’d be scared to wear it in the wild.

Are these Daytona like unobtanium, as I’m quite tempted?

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    When this was announced, I loved it. When the price was announced, the flame of desire diminished somewhat. Now RJB has one and has done a quite lovely video on it, the passion is back although I'll never afford nor justify it to buy one. Think the exclusivity and the well publicised one watch, one watchmaker model may well keep used prices on the robust side.

It is a thing of great beauty. Really intelligently designed, with no additional badges, dogs dates or anything else added to it.
    Just the FOIS design with upgraded bracelet and a sapphire back to admire the 321. DON, applied Logo and old style Omega script. I even like the fauxtina, it seems quite restrained.
    Perfect.
    Apart from the price.
    If I had that budget to play with, I would stick to my Lemanias and can buy quite a few real 321s from the 60s or before.
    Or even a nice classy Omega 2451, using the 321.
    Dave

Journeyman
    I cant justify the price, but great watch!

It is a lot of money, but easier to make sense of than S/S Submariners, imo, given it's not just a NOS movement in a Professional case.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It is a thing of great beauty. Really intelligently designed, with no additional badges, dogs dates or anything else added to it.
    Just the FOIS design with upgraded bracelet and a sapphire back to admire the 321. DON, applied Logo and old style Omega script. I even like the fauxtina, it seems quite restrained.
    Perfect.
    Apart from the price.
    If I had that budget to play with, I would stick to my Lemanias and can buy quite a few real 321s from the 60s or before.
    Or even a nice classy Omega 2451, using the 321.
    Dave
    I agree - they've done such a good job of this. Plus they seem to have made the sapphire on the front without the grey ring that the sapphire sandwich and the FOIS both have. Never understood why Omega's high dome sapphires have that, since so many others don't, but this one doesn't!

If it does sell, how can the price be ‘stupid’? It’s what the market will pay, the only method I know to accurately judge price.
    Or should Omega copy Rolex and hand the big profits to grey resellers? They certainly know how to extract every last penny....
    To put it another way, the price is not justified. It's a new limited run, edition or whatever Omega want to call it, but fundamentally there isn't enough extra there to justify the huge price tag IMO.

Despite previously coming very close, I woke up and will never pay anything over RRP (especially from Greg dealers like WF).

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    To put it another way, the price is not justified. It's a new limited run, edition or whatever Omega want to call it, but fundamentally there isn't enough extra there to justify the huge price tag IMO.

Despite previously coming very close, I woke up and will never pay anything over RRP (especially from Greg dealers like WF).
    What makes an object overpriced? the fact that no one will pay that sort of money, or that You will not pay that much?
    It certainly makes sense on a personal level (my own max is significantly lower). But unless they have to reduce the price in the future to shift them, chances are they're not overpriced for the public they are targeting.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I went on the list the day it was released, actually had to tell the AD what it was about!!

If I get the call I’m not sure I would buy it, I have a really nice original which in my eyes this new one wouldn’t match up too, saying that resale should be pretty strong at least in the first 24 months.

Craftsman

Value retention

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I went on the list the day it was released, actually had to tell the AD what it was about!!

If I get the call I’m not sure I would buy it, I have a really nice original which in my eyes this new one wouldn’t match up too, saying that resale should be pretty strong at least in the first 24 months.
    Not sure just how well the 321 will hold in resale value if the 60th Anniversary and 50th Apollo 11 figures can be used as a guide. The 60th can now be bought under retail, that was a release hotly tipped to rocket in value and the 50th Moon landing is steadily falling in the private sales, with an abundance of this particular watch available in the marketplace.

The 321 is undoubtedly a very special watch for the Moon watch fan and certainly think that if someone wished to move one on in the future they would probably get their money back or close but I always feel that with all the editions Omega pumps out regards the moon watch, for many the standard Speedy at £4K ticks nearly every box.

Master
    As a matter of interest, what other ‘reissue’ of recent years can equal the extraordinary history and authenticity of the 321? I can’t think of a single example where a long retired movement resumes production, essentially unchanged.
    ‘Grey’ price in twelve months time? I’d take a guess at upward of 14k. Interesting to see......
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th July 2020 at 17:34.

I was the first on the list at the Royal Exchange boutique, and also had to explain to the manager what watch I was talking about. No contact as yet, and slightly in two minds should I get the call (as in erring towards declining, but wondering if it might just be a shrewd buy).

I was the first on the list at the Royal Exchange boutique, and also had to explain to the manager what watch I was talking about. No contact as yet, and slightly in two minds should I get the call (as in erring towards declining, but wondering if it might just be a shrewd buy).
    Exactly the same as me, could be a shrewd move but I wouldn’t want to currently buy a watch that tanks?
    I suppose someone could contact WF saying they have one and see what the returning offer is, it’s not really cricket but WF are no saints when it comes to believe by ruthless..

Craftsman

Waiting.

Exactly the same as me, could be a shrewd move but I wouldn’t want to currently buy a watch that tanks?
    I suppose someone could contact WF saying they have one and see what the returning offer is, it’s not really cricket but WF are no saints when it comes to believe by ruthless..

Pretty sure that many of the buyers on the relative lists for the 321 have already or in the process of getting buy in quotes from the usual Grey dealers to see if there are profits to be made on an immediate sale to the secondary market. If quotes are below RRP, which I think will happen, then many will say no thanks when the AD calls.

Maybe the 321 will be one watch that gets into the hands of the genuine enthusiasts for this piece of history but with the price tag Omega have placed on this, many will happily stick to the standard speedy and maybe hope that someday they can add a 321 to the watch box.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bandwagon tat......

Not for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Bandwagon tat......
    I agree with bandwagon but not tat, yes its a cash cow for Omega but it is a lovely watch..

I got the call, twice actually as the first time they had to leave a message. I declined. I’m still not sure it was the right decision but I’m not losing sleep over it.

I do think it’s a lovely watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I agree with bandwagon but not tat, yes its a cash cow for Omega but it is a lovely watch..
    Sorry, you are right.

Silly isn't it.
    This is one of those situations (relatively common) when Omega is charging too much for an LE (I know this is not an LE, but it feels like one at present due to rarity)
    It is totally unclear whether this will work in the market.
    Omega frequently charges too much, but their overcharging pales into insignificance compared to the premium some folk are willing to pay to get on the bus, if the market loves the LE.
    A lot of Speedie LEs fall into this category.

With the Speedie Tuesday (as a random example, there are others), those who got the early delivery were thanking their lucky stars as they could cash in massively, or own the watch free from purchase guilt, their asset had appreciated.
    Those who got a later delivery could not cash in to the same level as the large number in the LE meant prices flattened.

But we are in an odd climate with this one. Apart from the obvious world situation, this watch is too high up the food chain for mass appeal, and it is totally unclear whether this will trade at a premium or a loss.
    So those with an early delivery offer are on a quandary.
    Is taking the offer money lost, in which case, for this level of cost, you have to be sure it is perfect for you, and you keep it forever?
    Or will this be off to the races, with ever-escalating waiting lists (and therefore premium trading)?
    The balance is quite finely poised I think.
    And it is likely that whichever way the market moves will bolster the position. A rising price will mean more options taken, and a longer list. And vice versa.
    So those with a later delivery are in the better posiiton of knowing which way the market has voted before they need to choose whether to take the offer, or pass.

Wierdly, I think Omega's best way of ensuring this trades at a premium would have been to make it an LE.
    Never thought I would encourage Omega to issue an LE from a production watch.
    D

Blog Entries
    It’s a lovely watch. But there are too many others I’m interested in - I already have the Apollo 8 which satisfies my Moonwatxh craving. Still - I’ve put myself on the online “list” But don’t hold much hope of any call soon

Far far too expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Far far too expensive

Then Omega are fools with no idea how to sell their watches. That must be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Far far too expensive

But there is no middle ground. Some say Rolex should charge more for the GMT and Daytona etc to stop profiteers, yet Omega put a heavier price tag on their watch and to some its too much.

I just hope the dealer buy in price is below list and that gets out pretty quickly, then the money men will move on and leave these for people who actually want them.

Master
    I think its a beautiful watch and in terms of watch pricing is reasonable value.

However I can’t see it trading at a premium. It looks too similar to a stand Speedmaster, which for WIS is no bad thing. But people happy to pay a premium seem to want a watch that stands out.