timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mechanical Watch - Should I let the Chrono hands run all the time

Master

Mechanical Watch - Should I let the Chrono hands run all the time

seems to get mixed opinions on the internet

some say yes let it run less wear on the clutch

some say no

great to have your opinions, probably discussed before but I cannot find the thread

If you're a couple of tokens short of a toaster, let 'em run.

If you're sane, leave them alone until you need to use the chrono function.

Just my opinion of course

vertical or horizontal clutch ?

I used to let the chrono on my Speedmaster run occasionally just to make sure it was all ok. Parking meters, conf calls etc. I wouldn't leave it on permanently as I doubt it was made for that purpose so might not stand up to that use.

I wouldn't. Why would you want to? As mentioned, I doubt the watch was designed for this - although I am no expert (Ian is).

With the current interest in the Pogue, which has no running second hand, I would like an informed opinion on whether to leave the chrono sweep second hand running permanently.
    What would wear out prematurely?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    With the current interest in the Pogue, which has no running second hand, I would like an informed opinion on whether to leave the chrono sweep second hand running permanently.
    What would wear out prematurely?
    Pogue has 613x movement with vertical clutch so nothing will wear out prematurely by running the chrono hand permanently. Think it through; with a vertical clutch the chrono is always running anyway. When you start the chronograph you are only coupling the hands not starting the chrono gear train.

I have a couple of Seiko chronographs with vertical clutches and the consensus of opinion (after reading around) is that it is better to let the chronograph run as there is a spring in the clutch that is under more wear when the chronograph is stopped. This spring is very difficult to find and expensive if you can find one.

This video by Spencer Klein (who seems to be a respected Seiko repairer) explains the logic better than I could: https://youtu.be/pHxB8SqwZsw.

For other chronograph movements that don’t use a column wheel and vertical clutch, the consensus appears to be that the movement suffers more wear if the chronograph is allowed to run. How much wear I couldn’t say, others almost certainly will have a better understanding than I.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks guys. Always wondered!

Master
    V interesting thread. I'll need to check this clutch design on each of my 7 Chronos. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    V interesting thread. I'll need to check this clutch design on each of my 7 Chronos. Lol.

I was just thinking the same thing...!

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing...!

Simon
    Fools seldom differ...

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Fools seldom differ...

I’d take offence at that if it wasn’t so true

Simon

Journeyman
    Interesting, although I think they are not designed for that, and if so it's a just a mistake made designing it.

Grand Master
    The Seiko article was interesting, I’ve no experience with them so I didn’t know this, the case for keeping the chrono running is well- argued.

One point to bear in mind with all chronos is the effect on amplitude when the chrono is running, in most cases the amplitude will be lower by between 10 and 30 degrees. If the watch is running well and is in a high state of wind this won’t impact the rate significantly but if the watch is in need of lubrication the effect on rate will be more noticeable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    I have a couple of Seiko chronographs with vertical clutches and the consensus of opinion (after reading around) is that it is better to let the chronograph run as there is a spring in the clutch that is under more wear when the chronograph is stopped. This spring is very difficult to find and expensive if you can find one.

This video by Spencer Klein (who seems to be a respected Seiko repairer) explains the logic better than I could: https://youtu.be/pHxB8SqwZsw.

For other chronograph movements that don’t use a column wheel and vertical clutch, the consensus appears to be that the movement suffers more wear if the chronograph is allowed to run. How much wear I couldn’t say, others almost certainly will have a better understanding than I.

Thanks, and for the Spencer Klein link

Mechanical Watch - Should I let the Chrono hands run all the time

You’’re welcome, although I think that thanks are mostly due to Spencer Klien.

His other videos are worth watching if you’re interested in old Seikos, they give a fascinating watchmaker’s perspective on older Seiko models. Invaluable, much like like our own walkerwek1958 above.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    ... iit is better to let the chronograph run as there is a spring in the clutch that is under more wear when the chronograph is stopped. This spring is very difficult to find and expensive...
    The Breitling B-01 is a column wheel vertical clutch mechanism. So should these be run constantly also??

Caliber B01 has been in development for 5 years, and its launch coincides with Breitling’s 125th anniversary. A new, four-story addition to Breitling’s facility at La Chaux –de-Fonds houses the caliber’s construction. The movement incorporates a column-wheel switching mechanism and a vertical clutch, two hallmarks of a well-made chronograph. The vertical clutch assures that the chronograph seconds hand does not jump when the chronograph is engaged.
    Excellent topic by the way!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th July 2020 at 21:52.

Awesome. A new thing for me to fret over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk