closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whisky in the.... paper bottle ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Whisky in the.... paper bottle ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53392949

Now I get that they could reduce transportation costs as paper is lighter than glass, but I don't see anyone keeping an expensive scotch in a paper bottle for too long.

Also, glass is already 100% infinitely recyclable... is a paper bottle really cheaper / more carbon efficient to produce ?

Part of the appeal of buying nice whisky is the bottle IMHO... not sure I feel the same way about a cardboard tube with chemicals inside it to stop the paper from rotting.

Grand Master
    Bottle if whisky doesn't last long enough in our house for the paper bottle to deteriorate through age. Whisky’s for drinking, not keeping on a shelf.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Bottle if whisky doesn't last long enough in our house for the paper bottle to deteriorate through age. Whisky’s for drinking, not keeping on a shelf.
    But knowing when to drink it is skill!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Nor mine, but if you visit ye olde whisky shoppe you have no idea how long their dusty bottle has been sat there...

I have kept nearly every bottle that I've consumed since we moved 5 years ago (and I finally had somewhere to put them). I doubt I'd be keeping paper bottles for sentimental reasons.

I'd suggest it's a marketing move rather than anything actually sustainable on their part.

At least it keeps the scotch in the dark rather than exposed to light through the clear glass.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    But knowing when to drink it is skill!
    Nah, whack a load of coke into it and knock it back the same night it comes through the door.............I'll get my coat :-)

I suppose I can see the argument that this would save on the large quantity of energy required to make and recycle glass bottles.

What I can't see is the level in the bottle - it'd be hard to know when it was time to replenish the supply, unless they come with a dipstick or something :/

I wouldn't drink JW if you paid me, so not an immediate concern.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Also, glass is already 100% infinitely recyclable... is a paper bottle really cheaper / more carbon efficient to produce ?

Part of the appeal of buying nice whisky is the bottle IMHO... not sure I feel the same way about a cardboard tube with chemicals inside it to stop the paper from rotting.
    Presumably there’s a high energy cost in recycling glass as you have to melt it, that would be where the carbon cost comes in.

I agree on a nice bottle though (he says, gazing lovingly at his Nikka from barrel, Hibiki Harmony and Roku Gin ;-)) Maybe you could buy the cardboard bottles as re-fills?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Hibiki Harmony
    Now that is a bottle to look at. Not actually supped any yet though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Now that is a bottle to look at. Not actually supped any yet though.
    It’s a party in your mouth for sure (no one is invited though).

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53392949

More about the product than the packaging meself - but makes you wonder about the cap. Not a johnny black fan but does it have a natural or synthetic cork stopper or perhaps whatever that spongy thing is inside a screw top ? Generally though what are the materials used at the point of seal of the bottle ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    More about the product than the packaging meself - but makes you wonder about the cap. Not a johnny black fan but does it have a natural or synthetic cork stopper or perhaps whatever that spongy thing is inside a screw top ? Generally though what are the materials used at the point of seal of the bottle ?
    Screw top on standard JW Black. They do have a variety of special editions, and those I don't know what stopper they use.

Craftsman
    I do a lot of bikepacking trips that involve a trip to a bothy. This is ideal for me, as you could finish the bottle then chuck it on the fire to save carrying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk