closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boiler install prices

Master

New boiler install prices

Just had the boiler condemned in one of our rentals, it's an oldish boiler and they've said the repairs will be getting towards £500 depending what they find when it's taken apart, ( emissions are sky high, plus expansion vessel leaking etc etc ).
    A new boiler is probably going to make more sense going forward.
    It's a standard 3 bed semi, not massive, typical of what you'd find on a modern estate, what ball park figure should I be expecting, ( so as my pants are not pulled down too far, lol ).

We are looking at doing the same. Detached 4 bed extended house. £1500 including a complete flush of the old system and a new thermostat etc. It's a standard boiler (not a combi).

The only thing in my mind now is that the Government have announced this voucher scheme from September. Is it worth waiting until then to get some £££ to help with the replacement?

Craftsman
    I've had a new oil boiler fitted recently, (January)

Went on the Worcester site and used their quote portal,

Approved fitters contacted me and then I got them to match prices against each other, it was cheaper than quotes I had going direct to gas fitters

Ours for a 1970s three bedroom semi was £1350 with a full flush and filter fitted (insist on getting a magnetic filter fitted) and he came back after 30 days to check the filter was clear. Always make sure you get the boiler warranty and send it off in your name, that was you know its been done and not left in the plumber's Transit van...

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    We are looking at doing the same. Detached 4 bed extended house. £1500 including a complete flush of the old system and a new thermostat etc. It's a standard boiler (not a combi).

The only thing in my mind now is that the Government have announced this voucher scheme from September. Is it worth waiting until then to get some £££ to help with the replacement?
    I did think about this, but I really can't wait until then as the guy disconnected it before he left, ( he was doing the gas safety for me ).
    And we are going through the eviction process with the tenant, ( that's another story ), so need to show we are doing all we can get it sorted asap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Didi this recently, BOXT is pretty good to get the ball rolling for an initial quote. I then had a local independent fit it ( worcs Bosh system boiler) and nest thermostat. One thing to look for is the size of the piping, the latest regs need 22mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 does not allow it (regardless of if the tenant is being evicted).

Just over £2k for a WB Greenstar 30 Si combi, system fully flushed and fitted with magnetic fliter, descaler and wireless thermostat. WB warranty until 2022.

This was in London 3 years ago.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 13th July 2020 at 16:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 does not allow it (regardless of if the tenant is being evicted).
    As per my comments above.
    The tenant is costing us quite a bit of money what with not paying full rent and the eviction/notice process, will probably also have to go to court as well, ( council have told them not to budge until they are basically thrown out, ( very helpful aren't they ). But we will not give them any further excuses not to go, hence why thy will get a new boiler asap.

Master
    Should also mention that we are in the south west, so hopefully not as expensive as you London Chaps might pay

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    As per my comments above.
    The tenant is costing us quite a bit of money what with not paying full rent and the eviction/notice process, will probably also have to go to court as well, ( council have told them not to budge until they are basically thrown out, ( very helpful aren't they ). But we will not give them any further excuses not to go, hence why thy will get a new boiler asap.
    That is the correct legal advice from the council - the House Act (1996) makes it clear that they should indeed be forced out of the property or they are classified as "intentionally homeless".

Was in a similar position in January just after I moved house the boiler needed major repairs and the water pressure was a joke. Had a new combi fitted (4 beds) cost 2200, the new combis have long warranties, 10 years on mine.

I use boxt , have used them for 3 rentals . No one can come close to their prices , I think Worcester Bosch one a stake in the company now too. Instant online quote .

Master
    You guys are pretty lucky over here a new boiler with a separate hot water tank can run you 10-15K.

Craftsman
    For the short term, would you consider repairing the existing boiler, doing the minimum to get it up and running and then once the tenant is out, consider a full replacement with benefits of the government grant?

We got one from British Gas last year.

Can't remember the cash price but the discount plus free homecare and efficiency gains (hive + individual thermostats) made it more or less free.

What's the gov grant thats starting in Sept? The only thing I can see on Google is Eco3, but that's been going a while hasn't it?

Master
    In one of my rentals a few years ago the boiler broke and the guy I use for all my gas checks couldn’t fix it as he couldn’t get the parts. The boiler was new in 2006 so not that old. He advised going to Worcester and signing up to their monthly cover. Was £25 at the time (so £300 for the year). For that it included any repairs and up to £1,500 of parts.

Not sure if they still do that scheme but it worked for me. They repaired it. After a year I cancelled the scheme and the boiler continued to work until I sold the house 3 or 4 years later. Might be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    What's the gov grant thats starting in Sept? The only thing I can see on Google is Eco3, but that's been going a while hasn't it?

Green Grants as part of c-19 measures - the details still be to announced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just over £2k for a WB Greenstar 30 Si combi, system fully flushed and fitted with magnetic fliter, descaler and wireless thermostat. WB warranty until 2022.

This was in London 3 years ago.
    Just had a quote to have one fitted - I have no heating
    A guy I’ve used before - he’s very good £3400 - I’ve supplied all the rads and already hung a couple
    Pretty pleased with this- looking forward to having some heat this year
    Last edited by lewie; 21st July 2020 at 14:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Green Grants as part of c-19 measures - the details still be to announced.
    Ah, ok, cheers. Not much detail on it yet, not even sure it will include boilers either. But, just been reading about the current ECO3 and seems i might qualify for a free boiler through that, off to investigate

I paid about £2200 for a combi boiler in an average sixed 4 bed house, along with fancy wifi thermostat do-dad. BOXT are quoting similar prices, depending on make/model of boiler.

Isn't it traditional in these threads for someone to claim they got theirs done for £900?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I paid about £2200 for a combi boiler in an average sixed 4 bed house, along with fancy wifi thermostat do-dad. BOXT are quoting similar prices, depending on make/model of boiler.

Isn't it traditional in these threads for someone to claim they got theirs done for £900?
    I’m sure if you pay BG £3000 in ‘extras’ they’ll do it for that.

Master
    Just asked 3 friends who are plumbers and they've both said that between £1200 - £1500 is the going rate.

They also said to NOT use British Gas unlike you like someone pulling your pants down and spanking you....

They've said that Worcester Bosch, Vailliant and Glow Worm are preferred makes but that Glow Worm are not as good as the big 2.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi

We had a new Vaillant Combi boiler fitted in January this year:

Supply and fit Vaillant ecotec plus model
    832 supplied with Vaillant filter

£2,100.00

including:
    10 year warranty 1 £0.00 £0.00
    Supply 15mm descaler 1 £0.00 £0.00
    Supply 15mm shock arestor 1 £0.00 £0.00
    Wireless programmable room thermostat

Best Neil

We normally quote somewhere around £2200 as a ball park, for a good quality boiler with anything between 7-12 year warranty, system filter, scale reducer, mini expansion vessel if needed, controls upgrade and flush. This is obviously dependant on what’s involved and the boiler you choose will have an influence on price. I can reduce the price by £400 easily by boiler choice... but I wouldn’t recommend it. One man bands, VAT registration etc can also have an impact on price paid.

Master
    Thanx for all your comments, I'll update once quotes are obtained.
    Last edited by Weirdfish; 15th July 2020 at 09:29.

Master
    As promised, first quote came in earlier today, £3041. It's a 25KW combi boiler, I thought that was rather high.

Journeyman
    I had to google the term boiler, since we use that for something else, but I got what you mean. I had two boilers installed this year, one in a similar rental as you stated, costed me 1600€ incl. labour.

added: Remeha Avanta CW4 / 24kw

Master
    I suppose what's putting the price up is that the current combi has to be changed now to a condensing boiler, ( I think that's right ), plus a complete new flue through the roof, ( the boiler is in the airing cupboard ).
    I've just got off the phone to another guy and he's saying he'll beat that price, but I'll wait and see next week when he has a look at the job.

Journeyman
    I had to change the flued aswell through the roof, but lets see what the come up with.

Master
    I think I read they’ll be energy grants available soon. Boilers might be covered so maybe worth checking out.

Master
    I think it’s September at the earliest, no details yet.
    I can’t really wait that long to be honest, otherwise it would be ideal.
    With the eviction process going on the last thing I need is for it to be thwarted by a lack of heating/hot water for any length of time.
    Happy to be corrected though.

Master
    Paid through the nose at around £4000 with British Gas to rip out an ancient tank based system and install a brand new decent compact Worcester 30kwh Combi boiler around this time last year.

They did a tidy job, took away all their crap and it was a well managed job and the added benefit is the warranty and additional cover.. after two months we had a radiator start leaking and it was replaced without question even though it was not installed by them as their warranty covered the entire heating system and not just the boiler. Helped a little towards the higher price of install.

Master
    Price update, £2200, now that's more like it.

Craftsman
    My boiler alone was more than most of these quotes! I paid £4650 last April with boiler costing £2160

Craftsman
    Thread resurrection.
    I have a maintenance contract with British Gas. When the boiler was getting serviced a month ago I was talking to the guy and he said a lot of the boilers in the estate are now failing and finding parts isn’t so easy. Long story short he said they have been installing new combi boilers in a few of the houses in the estate, all fairly standard installation, takes 2 people a day and as my boiler is only 74% efficient I thought I would get a quote. Had a video appointment last night, boiler quoted was a Worcester Bosch 36 CDi compact.
    Boiler and hive system were a bit more expensive than what I could see on line, the installation cost though was £3200, which took the whole quote £5195. How can they justify that sort of installation cost when it only takes a day to install.

New boiler install prices

Deleted
    Last edited by davida; 18th April 2023 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Thread resurrection.
    I have a maintenance contract with British Gas. When the boiler was getting serviced a month ago I was talking to the guy and he said a lot of the boilers in the estate are now failing and finding parts isn’t so easy. Long story short he said they have been installing new combi boilers in a few of the houses in the estate, all fairly standard installation, takes 2 people a day and as my boiler is only 74% efficient I thought I would get a quote. Had a video appointment last night, boiler quoted was a Worcester Bosch 36 CDi compact.
    Boiler and hive system were a bit more expensive than what I could see on line, the installation cost though was £3200, which took the whole quote £5195. How can they justify that sort of installation cost when it only takes a day to install.
    BG are effing crooks. My elderly Mum was pressured into buying a new boiler from them. She trusted the gas board and all that.

I quickly got involved to ensure the contract was not signed, and had a reputable one man band do the job for £1200 instead of the £3600 BG were charging. This was 10 yeqars ago.

There was a thread on Boxt not to long back who give upfront pricing on their website. May be interesting to get a quote and compare, as it is easy to do on their website.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Thread resurrection.
    Get some other quotes, then you will know how expensive they are,

Master
    Thread resurrection.
    Get a few independent quotes British Gas are well known to be rip off merchants

Craftsman
    Got a couple of quotes from Saltire and Boxt.
    Same boiler with both, saltire with hive control system £3599, Boxt with nest control system £3697.
    Makes you wonder why anybody goes with British Gas.

Master
    Blog Entries
    BOXT are a great tool to barter with a local independent

Had a new combi 24kw fitted in a 2 bed terraced cottage £650 for the boiler, fitting was £500
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    That they are.

Worth understanding that when a BOXT install happens a carried out, the work is subbed out to a contractor. They don’t pay the best rates and you could end up with someone who may not be as competent or conscientious as you would hope for.

That said, we do see BOXT installs that are carried out to a decent standard probably as frequently as those that aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Had a new combi 24kw fitted in a 2 bed terraced cottage £650 for the boiler, fitting was £500
    Worth understanding what boiler make and model, what warranty, controls replaced or upgraded, whether this was a sole trader or Ltd company, VAT registered etc, mates rates, where in the country this is? All these things can make a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Exactly what I did - got the plumber and boiler I wanted at BOXT price.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Worth understanding what boiler make and model, what warranty, controls replaced or upgraded, whether this was a sole trader or Ltd company, VAT registered etc, mates rates, where in the country this is? All these things can make a significant difference.
    1) Logic+combi2 c24
    2) 7 Years.
    3) Updated thermostat + TVR's
    4) Sole trader (gas safe reg) does all our gas works/ VAT registered.
    5) S72
    6) His standard daily fitting rate.
    7) The boiler was bought at a staff discount via the manufacturer.
    8) Install date 29/11/2022

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    1) Logic+combi2 c24
    2) 7 Years.
    3) Updated thermostat + TVR's
    4) Sole trader (gas safe reg) does all our gas works/ VAT registered.
    5) S72
    6) His standard daily fitting rate.
    7) The boiler was bought at a staff discount via the manufacturer.
    8) Install date 29/11/2022
    Cheers.

You’ve done very well there, that boiler plus flue, plus thermostat and TRVs would often be not far off double that. Being a small cottage and only needing a 24kw Combi will help with the cost as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Cheers.

You’ve done very well there, that boiler plus flue, plus thermostat and TRVs would often be not far off double that. Being a small cottage and only needing a 24kw Combi will help with the cost as well.
    Thanks, the tenant moved in in the middle of the year, her father just happens to work for the manufacturer, hopefully he'll be as accommodating with others, as for Ian our fitter, he's a godsend, does all our gas works.