closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Windscreen Replacement

Windscreen Replacement

Driving along the motorway at the weekend, had a huge stone fly up and chip/crack the windscreen which means it needs a replacement. When you book with autoglass, they push you for paying for windscreen wiper replacement too. I'm guessing the theory is that if you get glass in the wiper blade, your new windscreen could end up scratched.

Trying to work out if this is really a necessity or not for a chip that is away from the wiper blade which hasn't been used since the chip occurred. My current ones are relatively new and definitely don't need replacing...would careful inspecting and wiping them down not suffice? I'll pay the price if necessary, but don't want to be the gullible one ticking every extra option if not required!

Grand Master
    Wiper blades can get very tiny fragments of dirt or glass embedded in the rubber tip, it takes some spotting. I`d be tempted to fit new ones; failing that I`d inspect the blades along the full length with a magnifier.

No doubt they’d supply at a ‘trade’ price. If thought needed I’d buy my own.

Master
    If you haven't used the wipers since the chip appeared don't bother changing the wipers. Just hose off where the chip is and directly onto your windscreen wipers to cover off the eventuality that there is any glass fragments, washing them off will not impart enough force to embed any glass, that would take the pressure of the wiper arm pushing it down onto the chipped area as it goes over it.

I have had numerous windscreens replaced and have never had the 'offer' to replace the blades.

I suspect it is just their latest 'up-selling' approach to generate a few more £££'s.

As already said above, if you need them buy them yourself, unless the ones they fit are very good quality for cheaper than you can buy yourself anyway.

Master
    It's a way of making money, especially if the replacement is going through your insurers, anything to increase the margin.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I got mine done with national windscreens because autoglass wanted £380 more. Seems they still like to charge.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Suggest you take it to Autoglass so they can assess the level of damage.

Windscreens play a large part in vehicle safety and body rigidity, so do not underestimate the importance of getting it looked at asap.

Thanks all...booked in with autoglass without the optional extra wiper blades. Will thoroughly inspect/wash the current ones.