closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Children's long term savings

Master

Children's long term savings

My in-laws would like to invest some money for our children aged 7 and 1. Their instinct is an ISA and I would probably steer towards a stock market based one as i) interest rates are more or less 0 ii) Whereas the stock market may go up and down over the long term (I guess 15+ years) it is likely to deliver better growth.

Your thoughts and experience would be hugely appreciated. Are there other things we should be looking at?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    My in-laws would like to invest some money for our children aged 7 and 1. Their instinct is an ISA and I would probably steer towards a stock market based one as i) interest rates are more or less 0 ii) Whereas the stock market may go up and down over the long term (I guess 15+ years) it is likely to deliver better growth.

Your thoughts and experience would be hugely appreciated. Are there other things we should be looking at?

Thanks.

Junior SIPP? 25% top-up from government (upto £2880) so I'd put some in there.

Depending on what they want/how much they want to invest in, our 1 year old has an ISA which we all pay a little into and some premium bonds. He's won twice already (started with £100) and is now on £150 in a year. Seems to be doing well.

As above - a mix a Junior ISA and premium bonds. That's what we went for for ours, and the kids enjoy the concept of premium bonds, so it is a bit of fun