closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: cd players

Grand Master

cd players

my venerable Pioneer Precision is giving up the ghost....any thoughts on a decent deck to look for second hand that won't break the bank? the mrs uses it more than me as i've gone back to vinyl!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Hi Jon, I'm a big fan of Arcam players, there's usually a few for sale on ebay, but I`m wary of buying players that are several years old. Its hard to assess how much use a player has had so buying second-hand can be risky. I currently have 2 Arcam players in my workroom and both are faulty, one takes approx. 15 minutes to warm up, then it'll usually work OK. The other struggles to read discs. I may try getting them fixed, but one of them's already had £100 spent on it.

Buying a new one may be the way to go.

Some of the older Arcam 7 or 8 suffer from drawer loading issues, due to a plastic cog in the mechanism breaking. These parts are now discontinued, so beware.
    The Marantz Ki series are excellent without paying a fortune, which are what I would go for.
    Musical Fidelity are excellent too, (my MF XRay V.3) is still performing well after nearly 11years.
    As always, visit a dealer for advice, sometimes they have px's which they will put some guarantee on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Some of the older Arcam 7 or 8 suffer from drawer loading issues, due to a plastic cog in the mechanism breaking. These parts are now discontinued, so beware.
    The Marantz Ki series are excellent without paying a fortune, which are what I would go for.
    Musical Fidelity are excellent too, (my MF XRay V.3) is still performing well after nearly 11years.
    As always, visit a dealer for advice, sometimes they have px's which they will put some guarantee on.
    Plastic cogs and such like could easily be 3D printed nowadays, could be a business opportunity for someone.

Master
    I’ve been running a Shanling tube player for a few years now, look and sound spectacular.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Richer Sounds is probably the place to head if you're after new...

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/s...d-players.html

Personally I'd look for a Marantz, but if SWMBO isn't going to be able to tell the difference you could go cheaper.

eBay for a used Marantz or Arcam would be an option, but you take your chances with any faults etc.

Grand Master
    cheers chaps
    i might look into a repair first as it's a classic bit of kit, a Pioneer PD-505 precision tuned by Tom Evans.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Cambridge Audio AXC25 just shy of £200 would be a good bet too.