closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cordless Lawnmower

Cordless Lawnmower

Sorry, another “recommend a lawnmower” thread! I’ve decided against a robot lawnmower as the garden is surrounded by trees, and the lawn is always covered in leaves / small branches. Therefore I’d like to ‘vacuum up’ the leaves as I cut the grass, hence a conventional lawn mower is required.

Cables are a faff, so I’m looking at battery powered. I’d like >40cm cutting width. Gtech mower 2.0 is on offer at £299, but I’m slightly put off by its asymmetrical blade and the minimum cutting height is 3cm (I previously used to cut to 2cm). Does anyone have one?

Any other makes I should look at / avoid? Anyone spot any good deals?

I’m don’t want a Bosch lawnmower as my last one died after less than 2 years.

Your opinions are appreciated as ever!

I have a makita for the front lawn as lugging the petrol one out over the gravel is hard work, it’s decent but not as good as the petrol one. Not sure on the minimum height but it does have to be set on the lowest to do an ok job.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have Stihl battery strimmer and hedgecutter,will be getting the mower in due course.

Master
    Before I got my Landroid robot mower I had a Worx cordless and I was more than happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Dewalt do one too never used one but I have the battery chainsaw hedge trimmer etc which have been outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I have Stihl battery strimmer and hedgecutter,will be getting the mower in due course.
    Is it the STIHL HSA 26 you have? If so, would be eager to know how 'safe' it is to use...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Is it the STIHL HSA 26 you have? If so, would be eager to know how 'safe' it is to use...

No,I’ve got the ha56.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/revie...s-lawn-mowers/

Depends how much you want to spend but the Worx mower we tested was streets ahead of some more established brands.

I wouldn’t buy a GTech anything ;)

Makita looks alright though.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 13th July 2020 at 12:21.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’d get a Makita too. Have their strimmer, chainsaw plus various DIY tools and all top notch. Obviously makes sense if you use their batteries anyway.

Surprised about the OP’s Bosch though. I’ve had one (non-cordless) for probably nearly 10 years, left outside all year round and still going strong. My Father had a cordless version of the same and’s been fine.

Well thanks to you all, and special thanks for the PM advice from Onelasttime. I decided to get a 40cm-wide cut Worx model as it was on sale on Amazon, and I must say I’m impressed. I managed to cut ca. 130% of the lawn (ca. 200m2) on one charge. Not bad for ca. £200.

I’ve not cut it as short as normal as it was very long, and quite wild in places - up to a foot in height and totally covered in leaves!

^^^^ Looking good ^^^^

Maybe I should change my username to Lawnmower Man

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Well thanks to you all, and special thanks for the PM advice from Onelasttime. I decided to get a 40cm-wide cut Worx model as it was on sale on Amazon, and I must say I’m impressed. I managed to cut ca. 130% of the lawn (ca. 200m2) on one charge. Not bad for ca. £200.

I’ve not cut it as short as normal as it was very long, and quite wild in places - up to a foot in height and totally covered in leaves!
    Is it still going strong? Undecided on cordless vs corded.

Yes still going strong, I used it yesterday for the first time this year. This time the batteries only lasted ca. 70% of the garden before needing a recharge….however the grass was quite long (and a little damp in places) and I had it on the higher power setting (turbo mode!) to cut it to the lowest height (prior to re-seeding). I’ve also never sharpened the blade, which probably doesn’t help.

Running out of charge was a little frustrating as rain was forecast, and charging them for ca. 20 mins only gave me a few mins mowing. I think I might invest in a cheaper set of lower capacity batteries as back up.

However, this is the first time I’ve ran out of power whilst mowing, and I’d buy another without doubt.

Yes still going strong, I used it yesterday for the first time this year. This time the batteries only lasted ca. 70% of the garden before needing a recharge….however the grass was quite long (and a little damp in places) and I had it on the higher power setting (turbo mode!) to cut it to the lowest height (prior to re-seeding). I’ve also never sharpened the blade, which probably doesn’t help.

Running out of charge was a little frustrating as rain was forecast, and charging them for ca. 20 mins only gave me a few mins mowing. I think I might invest in a cheaper set of lower capacity batteries as back up.

However, this is the first time I’ve ran out of power whilst mowing, and I’d buy another without doubt.
    Excellent and thank you. Decision made!

Nice garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Nice garden.
    It’s completely overlooked by a low-rise block of (largely retirement) flats….I just took the photo at a flattering angle! The old people next door are no bother (as you’d hope) and the kids just like the trampoline.

I only have sheep for neighbours, some fake grass and probably half the space you have. Your lawn looks healthy, no matter what we tried it just looked crap so had to go.

Craftsman
    Is that a special trampoline you need to sink into the ground?
    It’s completely overlooked by a low-rise block of (largely retirement) flats….I just took the photo at a flattering angle! The old people next door are no bother (as you’d hope) and the kids just like the trampoline.
    Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    Is that a special trampoline you need to sink into the ground?

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app
    No idea mate - the previous house owners installed it.

Master
    How you getting on with the cordless?

Does it have the twin 20v batteries?

This is &200 at Argos, any difference?

WORX WG927E Cordless 34cm Mower & Trimmer Kit

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7928...pxlil&istBid=t

Just noticed yours is 40 cm!
    Last edited by g40steve; 19th May 2021 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    How you getting on with the cordless?

Does it have the twin 20v batteries?

This is &200 at Argos, any difference?

WORX WG927E Cordless 34cm Mower & Trimmer Kit

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7928...pxlil&istBid=t

Just noticed yours is 40 cm!
    Yes mine is the larger version. Matron.

Edit: looks like they don’t make it anymore, which is stupid.

Edit 2: I think I bought it from eBay, and there is one left (£279)
    Last edited by Kirk280; 19th May 2021 at 15:46.

Cordless Lawnmower

Yes mine is the larger version. Matron.

Edit: looks like they don’t make it anymore, which is stupid.

Edit 2: I think I bought it from eBay, and there is one left (£279)
    Couldn’t get yours unfortunately so took a punt on this instead;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does a lovely job, and pleased you inspired me to convert. Made mowing a pleasure and quick!)

Last edited by Chinnock; 19th May 2021 at 16:01.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    I was looking at the Stihl one at the weekend as ours is very old now. Uses the same batteries as the leaf blower I got my wife which is convenient. Just need to research a little more

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I was looking at the Stihl one at the weekend as ours is very old now. Uses the same batteries as the leaf blower I got my wife which is convenient. Just need to research a little more

I have one (and the blower and hedge trimmer with the same batteries). It's excellent. Heavier (ie better built) than it at first appears but it does a great job.

Nice play!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I have one (and the blower and hedge trimmer with the same batteries). It's excellent. Heavier (ie better built) than it at first appears but it does a great job.
    Thanks, great to know - we have the hedge trimmer in our sights also!

As a non-interesting update, I trimmed the lawn yesterday and the batteries lasted ca. 130% of the lawn’s area, so I think they drained quickly last time due to the length of the grass.

Master
    Thanks, great to know - we have the hedge trimmer in our sights also!

I have the Stihl hedge trimmer and strimmer but have the Bosch lawnmower
    The Stihl stuff is really well put together and if you already have Stihl battery and charger I'd stick with that make.
    The Stihl hedge trimmer(HA56) is fairly heavy so it's a good workout on the arms and shoulders.

As a non-interesting update, I trimmed the lawn yesterday and the batteries lasted ca. 130% of the lawn’s area, so I think they drained quickly last time due to the length of the grass.
    How would you know did you try to cut it twice?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How would you know did you try to cut it twice?!
    Ha ha - I just kept going over the lawn until the batteries died.

Master
    I will let you know tomorrow or Wednesday if it dries out, got the twin pack arriving Tuesday from the link I posted previously.
    Should get a few quid on gumtree for my old Bosch Rotak. :)

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Stihl mower & hedge trimmer still going strong? Which models do you have? Am tempted by them too, and weighing petrol powered alternatives.

https://shop.stihl.co.uk/collections...en-care-bundle

That is described as "THE COMPLETE GARDEN CARE BUNDLE" with 'Hedge & Grass Trimmers, Leaf Blower + Lawn Mower' ...and... 'Lightweight with powerful rechargeable batteries'. At £656.
    Last edited by cman; 10th June 2021 at 15:21.

Master
    Stihl mower & hedge trimmer still going strong? Which models do you have? Am tempted by them too, and weighing petrol powered alternatives.

https://shop.stihl.co.uk/collections...en-care-bundle

That is described as "THE COMPLETE GARDEN CARE BUNDLE" with 'Hedge & Grass Trimmers, Leaf Blower + Lawn Mower' ...and... 'Lightweight with powerful rechargeable batteries'. At £656.
    We have the BGA 57 leaf blower & the hedge trimmer from that bundle deal (looks amazing!), both going well & looking to add the mower next.

It is a much smaller mower than current, as we have a 43 one, despite a small garden grass wise. Half of it is flower beds.

Friend has loads of the Stihl battery stuff, has been used hard for a couple of years & still going strong. You won’t be disappointed.

We have the BGA 57 leaf blower & the hedge trimmer from that bundle deal (looks amazing!), both going well & looking to add the mower next.

It is a much smaller mower than current, as we have a 43 one, despite a small garden grass wise. Half of it is flower beds.

Friend has loads of the Stihl battery stuff, has been used hard for a couple of years & still going strong. You won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Whilst others keep telling me to go petrol ('must have a Honda engine' apparently), I keep coming back to look at the Stihl. You make a good point about the size of the mower in the 'bundle' - it has a cutting width of only 33cm

Master
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. Whilst others keep telling me to go petrol ('must have a Honda engine' apparently), I keep coming back to look at the Stihl. You make a good point about the size of the mower in the 'bundle' - it has a cutting width of only 33cm
    They do a larger one, not sure if they bundle it though.

For us 33cm is fine, the current one is probably overkill & only bought for the higher torque motor. I’d love a petrol Honda, but a) the wife doesn’t, and b) she cuts the lawn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Makita all the way

I have a Makita cordless mower DLM460 ,nice one with metal base and I use it with 2x 5A batteries and its great and I also have just replaced the strimmer to the more robust model DUR189

Master
    I’ve been using an 18v 33cm Ryobi battery mower for the last 3 years on my rather large lawn, it’s still going strong but is a bit narrow for such a task.

Like most things in the Pandemic, stock seems to be short of some types of cordless mower, so I settled on the 36v Erbauer 46cm one from Screwfix. It’s built like a tank, and cuts the lawn on just the one pair of 5Ah batteries. I was using 4 x 5Ah 18v batteries on the Ryobi, despite keeping the blade sharp etc.

The Erbauer does a great job at mulching as well, and doesn’t seem bothered by wet grass either, had no blockages in the couple of months I’ve owned it. I’ve purchased an additional pair of batteries as well, to give it a bit of longevity.

Master
    Another update please...i am also getting rid of my petrol mower due to it being too heavy.

Think the Worx is looking good if yours is going strong after two years.

Mark

I have one of these EGO cordless mowers.

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/...-sp-47cm-mower

It's absolutely bulletproof, the 56v, 5ah battery cuts my front and rear lawns with plenty left over, it's self propelled, has a 47cm cutting width and has a large 55 litre grass collection box.

I've used it on long, short, wet and dry grass at different times of the year and it muches it all up without any issues. It had great reviews last year on "Which" tests which was a large driver for me buying it to be honest.

The only minus is it was a bit pricey, but as Henry Royce once said, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". Or words to that effect!

Quote Originally Posted by theevaultkeeper View Post
    I have a Makita cordless mower DLM460 ,nice one with metal base and I use it with 2x 5A batteries and its great and I also have just replaced the strimmer to the more robust model DUR189
    I have pretty much the same combo, the DLM460 Mower and DUR188 Strimmer. Both excellent bits of kit and a no brainer if you already have a couple of LXT batteries.

Master
    I bought one of the Worx mowers after reading this thread as my old Hayter petrol was on it's last legs, it has worked out well and cuts the lawn nicely, just one downside, annoyingly it doesn't quite finish the whole lawn on one charge, I guess I could buy more batteries but I haven't as yet.