closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broken Speedy - thoughts?

Master

Broken Speedy - thoughts?

My Speedy has a recurring problem. A few times in the past year, with a relatively full power reserve (say five to ten hours after a full wind), the watch has completely stopped (both the normal seconds hand and the chronograph, if it was engaged). One turn of the crown and it has started up again and continued to run.

It’s under warranty with the AD that serviced it about a year ago and they have temporarily fixed it twice now. The second time, they replaced the main spring and it was fine for several months.

Any ideas what’s going on?

Given it’s been back a few times under warranty, I’ve asked them to do a full repeat service. Seemed reasonable to me.

It happened pre-service too - main reason why I decided it needed servicing.
    Last edited by Berty234; 11th July 2020 at 10:53.

Master
    Who is doing the service work? I’d be politely insisting it goes to the Omega Service Centre if that’s an option

Master
    It’s the Ad’s watchmaker. I think I’d struggle to persuade them to send it to omega tbh.

Hi I had a similar issue with my Speedie. My AD dismissed the issue and wouldn’t resolve.

Posted about it here

Omega Speedmaster stopping problem?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I sent mine direct to James got it returned in a couple of weeks he said they found no fault but had taken the movement apart and reassembled there was no issues found. Watch came back and was perfect from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Hi I had a similar issue with my Speedie. My AD dismissed the issue and wouldn’t resolve.

Posted about it here

Omega Speedmaster stopping problem?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I sent mine direct to James got it returned in a couple of weeks he said they found no fault but had taken the movement apart and reassembled there was no issues found. Watch came back and was perfect from then on.

Thanks - sounds similar! I’ve only got a warranty on the service from the AD so will need to see what the AD says (watch is way out of manufacturer warranty).

Sounds like it could be a depthing issue.

There are two cogs on the chrono which have to mesh pretty much perfectly, if they don’t, the movement stops.

Take a look at https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/s...-side.4799891/

I’ve had this issue with both of my Speedy’s.

The other thing I’ve seen cause a speed master to stall was a slight hand clash - have you taken note of where the hands are when the movement stalls? I adjusted my MK2 a number of times before the penny dropped.

Grand Master
    This sounds unusual. If the depthing of the chronograph runner is adjusted wrongly the watch will stop with the chrono engaged, but I wouldn’t expect this to be an intermittent problem. If the adjustment isn’t quite right the watch will run but the amplitude will be low with the chrono running. The possibility of the hands catching is also possible, the hr hand has very little clearance over the centre bosses of the subdial hands and can touch if not fitted carefully.

Intermittent problems can be difficult to fix, but there will be a simple answer to this. There are certain parts that need inspecting very carefully and this is a challenge for whoever works on the watch, they heed to know exactly what the symptoms are. Its easy to miss a fault if you don’t know to look for it.

Blog Entries
    You may want to think about requesting a new one or refund - check your rights - but twice fixed and still not performing to specifications - basic specification of a watch is to tell the time - you could insist on a new one.

sounds like yours is a “lemon”.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...faulty-product

OR - You could send your watch direct to Omega - bybass the AD - it’s very easy - they send out a prepaid insured pack to return under warranty - given em a call.

The Swatch Group (UK) Ltd
    Charter Court
    Third Avenue
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO15 0JA

Tel: ++44 (0)845 899 0086
    Fax: ++44 (0)2380 646 900

service@uk.swatchgroup.com
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th July 2020 at 11:35.

Master
    Thanks, chaps. The watch is 6.5 years old and serviced last year, so no chance of a new one unfortunately. It’s all about getting it fixed under the service warranty :) Third attempt now, fingers crossed.

Why don’t you prepare some tools and Janet can talk you through a repair on the vGTG on Thursday night?

All you will need is a fine screwdriver, a large hammer, some WD-40 and a bottle of scotch. Simples!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Why don’t you prepare some tools and Janet can talk you through a repair on the vGTG on Thursday night?

All you will need is a fine screwdriver, a large hammer, some WD-40 and a bottle of scotch. Simples!!
    Thanks Kirky, don’t forget to add a decent magnifier and strong lighting........monkey could do it!

Looking forward to this Thursday’s GTG, Leeds United are playing at 5 o clock and could be promoted if they win, should that happen I’m likely to be tired before we start.......and v. tired by the end!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Thanks, chaps. The watch is 6.5 years old and serviced last year, so no chance of a new one unfortunately. It’s all about getting it fixed under the service warranty :) Third attempt now, fingers crossed.
    On a slightly more serious note, be sure to enclose a covering letter with the watch stating exactly what is happening. The danger is that the watch will go through the standard service procedure and what us a very subtle fault could be missed again. Whoever works on the watch needs to be aware of its history, a cursory inspection of parts isn’t likely to detect what’s wrong, it needs a very detailed inspection. Tgat’s how I’d tackle it.

There’s an old adage used by repairers: if you can’t see what’s wrong you haven’t looked hard enough. If this goes through the system as a standard service there’s every chance it’ll come back faulty again, I don’t make this stuff up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    On a slightly more serious note, be sure to enclose a covering letter with the watch stating exactly what is happening. The danger is that the watch will go through the standard service procedure and what us a very subtle fault could be missed again. Whoever works on the watch needs to be aware of its history, a cursory inspection of parts isn’t likely to detect what’s wrong, it needs a very detailed inspection. Tgat’s how I’d tackle it.

There’s an old adage used by repairers: if you can’t see what’s wrong you haven’t looked hard enough. If this goes through the system as a standard service there’s every chance it’ll come back faulty again, I don’t make this stuff up.
    Thanks - I’ve done exactly that :) it’s the same chap that worked on the same fault the last two times so he knows the issue, it’s just whether they can fix it for good this time!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

Haha, can you imagine... I can barely hammer a nail into a wall properly...

Why don’t you contact omega Uk and let them know how dissatisfied they are with the AD?

Craftsman
    Please send back to omega directly.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk