closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Valuations for insurance. Who do you use?

Craftsman

Valuations for insurance. Who do you use?

Evening.
    Search button provided little clarity as usual 🤣

Just after a few options with who to use for valuations for insurance?
    Don't want to be bent over and have my pants down for someone just to have a look at photos and type up a piece of paper.

Any members on here do them? (TZ rates 😉)
    Thanks

Craftsman
    In the past I've used ivaluer.co.uk. I thought it was worth a shot considering it was only £5 and my insurer accepted it wih no issues. However, I wouldn't have been surprised if the insurer rejected it.

Craftsman
    I had to have something for insurance purposes for my two watches. I used Beaverbrooks just because they were local to me. I think it cost @ £60 per watch. He did have a good look over the watches and weighed them etc. He wasnt impressed that they werent on bracelets, but I tend to wear on a NATO or rubber. I thought the valuations were a bit low, not sure Id be able to source replacements from retail if I had to rely on a payout based on the values quoted.

Master
    I used iValuer as well, checked with insurance company first and they accepted it with no problems.

Craftsman
    Thanks bud!
    I think they are more valuation for auctions going off what I read... not sure if should the get lost or stolen the insurance company would accept it.
    I would also quite like an agreed value with input from me rather than their book value

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    I had to have something for insurance purposes for my two watches. I used Beaverbrooks just because they were local to me. I think it cost @ £60 per watch. He did have a good look over the watches and weighed them etc. He wasnt impressed that they werent on bracelets, but I tend to wear on a NATO or rubber. I thought the valuations were a bit low, not sure Id be able to source replacements from retail if I had to rely on a payout based on the values quoted.
    Yeah that why I think an agreed one is a good option if there is one, not just their idea like a low ball from we buy any car
    Especially for pieces that are vintage or discontinued now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam1288 View Post
    Thanks bud!
    I think they are more valuation for auctions going off what I read... not sure if should the get lost or stolen the insurance company would accept it.
    I would also quite like an agreed value with input from me rather than their book value
    I double checked this with my insurance, they said they would cover my watch for the price iValuer gave in case of loss or theft. iValuer sent me back a valuation with pictures of my watch and my name and address included. I would give your insurance a ring and see what they say.

Craftsman
    I used my local jeweller who used to be a Rolex dealer, think £60 rings a bell and that was suffice for my insurance company

Craftsman
    Thanks. Do you not think it seems a lot to pay?
    I get it... expensive watch so why be cheap attitude but seriously.
    Paying someone £60 or so for 5 minutes work to write up a quote and attach a few pictures?

I'm in the wrong job 🤣🤣

Master
    Done properly, a comprehensive watch valuation at £60 may well be too cheap for the time it takes and the expertise involved.

£60 for a valuation by a rubber-stamping muppet with a digital camera who knows a bit about diamonds but naff all about watches is dreadful --- and very common.

I'm not sure if the equally worthless hand-written ones dashed out by the local jump-ring solder-monkey are more irritating.

Insurance companies are little help as they can rarely distinguish between a valuation of merit and one worth little :

"Mr. Milton, we'd like to ask why your valuation of our client's Submariner 1680 is so much different from one that we have had carried out by an authorised Rolex main agent."

[ 30 minute education of Call Centre Carl and Executive Client Liaison Manager Linzi-with-a-zed follows ]

"We'll be going with your valuation."

I've seen David _ ________ value a gold Rolex with a fake movement in, and a Registered Valuer working for an even bigger name value a gold plated looky-looky trinket as if it were a genuine 18ct Breitling. Worse still, as I'm sure the client was charged thousands, I've seen a half million pound Rolex given a valuation that was cut and pasted by an imbecile. It stated that the watch had "box and papers," which the client was delighted to read --- as they had submitted a watch with no accessories.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 11th July 2020 at 14:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Done properly, a comprehensive watch valuation at £60 may well be too cheap for the time it takes and the expertise involved.

£60 for a valuation by a rubber-stamping muppet with a digital camera who knows a bit about diamonds but naff all about watches is dreadful --- and very common.

I'm not sure if the equally worthless hand-written ones dashed out by the local jump-ring solder-monkey are more irritating.

Insurance companies are little help as they can rarely distinguish between a valuation of merit and one worth little :

"Mr. Milton, we'd like to ask why your valuation of our client's Submariner 1680 is so much different from one that we have had carried out by an authorised Rolex main agent."

[ 30 minute education of Call Centre Carl and Executive Client Liaison Manager Linzi-with-a-zed follows ]

"We'll be going with your valuation."

I've seen David _ ________ value a gold Rolex with a fake movement in, and a Registered Valuer working for an even bigger name value a gold plated looky-looky trinket as if it were a genuine 18ct Breitling. Worse still, as I'm sure the client was charged thousands, I've seen a half million pound Rolex given a valuation that was cut and pasted by an imbecile. It stated that the watch had "box and papers," which the client was delighted to read --- as they had submitted a watch with no accessories.

Love it!
    That's a good answer. Exactly what I wanted... I'm happy if someone like you provides a valuation as you know exactly things are worth.
    Yeah £60 for a monkey with a stamp, I'd rather go elsewhere.
    May I PM you to sort one out?
    Thank you

Craftsman
    Thanks. Do you not think it seems a lot to pay?
    I get it... expensive watch so why be cheap attitude but seriously.
    Paying someone £60 or so for 5 minutes work to write up a quote and attach a few pictures?

I'm in the wrong job 藍藍
    It wasn’t a member of Beaverbrooks staff who did the valuation . It was an external values, I think I made payment to WoS. It did take him @ 40 mins for both watches, so £60 for 20 mins each watch plus however long to draft a report.

Craftsman
    Just out of interest what watch is it?

Craftsman
    A lovely 1675/3 of a member on here... due to pick it up tomorrow.
    Two tone black/ yellow gold gmt master
    Nipple dial
    Full set
    Really good condition

Just wanting to sort out an insurance valuation before its worn about

Craftsman
    Mr Milton.
    Could you clear some inbox please.
    You have one coming your way 😆

I use an insurer who is happy with proof of purchase and / or proof of ownership and my "collection" valuation.

Master
    Mr Milton.
    Could you clear some inbox please.
    You have one coming your way 
    Professional valuer will refuse to appraise an item unless it is in his hands, so geography may be one problem -- my time at the moment another.

As for my inboxes here and on other fora, it is tempting to leave them full. When there is room, they tend to fill constantly with requests for free assistance or questions that could be answered by a hundred people on open forum. I politely put this to an established member once and he spat his dummy out. As a member I'm happy to provide what help I can, when I can.....but not when it is demanded or expected of me. That is not what you are asking here, I know.

Master
    My insurer, directline, insisted on a 'recognised jeweller' providing a valuation but could only say that meant a high street jeweller. Wouldn't accept ivaluer or receipts/valuations more than 2 years old either. Looking at c£50 a watch for valuing 5 in total.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Professional valuer will refuse to appraise an item unless it is in his hands, so geography may be one problem -- my time at the moment another.

As for my inboxes here and on other fora, it is tempting to leave them full. When there is room, they tend to fill constantly with requests for free assistance or questions that could be answered by a hundred people on open forum. I politely put this to an established member once and he spat his dummy out. As a member I'm happy to provide what help I can, when I can.....but not when it is demanded or expected of me. That is not what you are asking here, I know.
    I completely understand that... hope I didnt give the wrong impression. I'm not asking for a freebie, just a decent honest service and your name comes up.
    I'm happy to go out of my way and pop in when I can... would you be happy if I called up and on monday to discuss availability etc?
    Ta

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    My insurer, directline, insisted on a 'recognised jeweller' providing a valuation but could only say that meant a high street jeweller. Wouldn't accept ivaluer or receipts/valuations more than 2 years old either. Looking at c£50 a watch for valuing 5 in total.
    Thank you!
    Just used ivaluer for the time being to get 'something' in the process for now until I get chance to square a more legitimate one.
    What's £5....cup of coffee.

Has anyone used either of these companies to provide a watch valuation for insurance purposes?

https://www.officialwatches.com/pages/watch-valuations

https://prestigevaluations.com/watches-valuation.asp

Journeyman
    My local jeweller wanted £60 per item plus £90 for the overall report IIRC, which for my collection I couldn’t justify at the time. When you’ve got a watch collection of 5+ watches (most worth well under £5K) and the insurance company want this exercise repeated every two years, the valuations can come to more than the cost of the insurance! I went for a much less well qualified valuer from a different jeweller who was significantly cheaper as my insurance company wouldn’t specify what was/wasn’t acceptable in terms of the valuer’s qualifications and associations with professional bodies. I hope it’ll stand up if ever I need it! It’s interesting to hear what others are doing on here.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    My insurer, DirectLine, didn't ask for any valuations. I listed the watches and valuations myself and that is what they put on the policy.
    Insurance is included in the house contents policy, it is not a specific policy for the watches.

Craftsman
    Interestingly one of the insurers I contacted would not cover any of my watches not bought from a recognised dealer/retailer so no go for purchases from other private individuals (SC).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    My insurer, DirectLine, didn't ask for any valuations. I listed the watches and valuations myself and that is what they put on the policy.
    Insurance is included in the house contents policy, it is not a specific policy for the watches.
    We had Home Plus so watches >£4k had to be itemised and they requested a valuation. I investigated their Select insurance and they wanted the same (I spoke with a senior manager to clarify).

I take mine to the AD I use

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

I’ve provided current price lists for some watches in the past. The problem with a number of watches is that they are either hit made anymore, or worth considerably more than current list price.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Has anyone used either of these companies to provide a watch valuation for insurance purposes?

https://www.officialwatches.com/pages/watch-valuations
    I work for OW.
    Cant do valuations without the watch being with seen physically but its a 30-60 min job depending on variables.

have used ivaluer.co.uk also, they do a good job and reasonable