closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen knife set - recommendations please

Master
    I’ve built up a collection of 8 global knives over the last 20yrs. I use my large chefs knife 90% of the time. The rest seem expensive decorations on the magnetic rack.

As said here, chef knife, cheaper paring and bread knife. Job done.

Master
    Can anyone recommend a good steel that doesn't run to the 000s? I have whetstones but they aren't as convenient for everyday.

Master
    I use this Wusthof Santoku for 90% of cooking tasks if not more.

https://www.kitchenknives.co.uk/wust...ku-knife-17cm/

Also use a RW utility knife & fish filleting knife and Wusthof parer for specific tasks.

So many great recommendations, thanks! It's going to be hard to choose now. Didn't know this was going to turn out to be another rabbit hole!

If I decide to get one main cooks or Santoku knife, how should I store it without a knife block. Should I get a sheath?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 11th July 2020 at 09:34.

Kitchen knife set - recommendations please

This was recommended but I can’t remember from where, for £23 delivered it looks good for the casual home cook, 1000+ reviews and 4.8 out of 5.0 is good going..

Kitchen Knife, Chef Knife 8 Inch - Professional Chefs Knife - German High Carbon Stainless Steel - Best Value with Sheath & Exquisite Gift Packaging - Ultra Sharp Cooking Knife - CHEF'S PATH https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0787H94..._dHxcFbJMH47RR
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 11th July 2020 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    As suggested, get a good sharpener and learn how to use. The most expensive or the best knife will be useless if blunt.
    Would this sharpening steel be good enough?

https://www.kitchenknives.co.uk/wust...rpening-steel/

Quote Originally Posted by Coops365 View Post
    Another vote for Wusthof, specifically their Classic range.

If you've never been one for nice knives in the past then don't practice sharpening or honing on good ones. You'll end up ruining some lovely steel.
    Good advice. Would you suggest using a sharpening steel? Must be some YouTube videos on how to do it.

We have some nice Global and Japanese knives, but in reality I prefer an all stainless chinese cleaver bought from Wing Yip about 20 years ago costing about 5 quid!

Its relatively soft steel so goes blunt, but a few swipes on a ceramic rod and its like a razor

Craftsman
    I went for global chefs, pairing and bread knife. I’d put more effort into learning how to get them sharp than worrying about which brand to buy, although think you’d be sharpening less often with Japanese steel. I use whetstone, have got a ceramic wheel sharpener too but don’t get great results with it.

The wife is a big fan of fiddle bow bread knives and I use that more than the global these days, great bit of kit for home made loaves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Some great knives mentioned here. And some really good steels used to make them. Using a knife thats just the right shape and size, and made of the right steel for the job is always satisfying.

These two are made using some steels requested by the owners. Although not 'kitchen knives' in the strict sense they were made with food preparation in mind!

This one is made with 14c28n from Sandvik in Sweden. According to their website. "Sandvik 14C28N® is mainly recommended for knife applications which put very high demands on edge sharpness, edge stability and corrosion resistance. Examples are pocket knives, chefs knives, hunting knives and fishing knives." According to feedback I've had they aren't wrong.

And this one is 67 layer steel from Takefu in Japan. The centre core and cutting edge is VG10 which is clad in 33 alternating softer layers each side. Again I have feedback that it is an excellent steel for taking and holding an edge. Often seen in kitchen knives, again this one is primarily for food 'prep' although not a 'kitchen knife' as such.

Nice knives, great to see a sharpening choil

Have you ever made a chute knife, or do you stick to non-hollow grind blades?

Rob.

Global was the brand I went in expecting to buy, as I liked the way they looked, but didn't like the way they felt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Good advice. Would you suggest using a sharpening steel? Must be some YouTube videos on how to do it.
    A steel doesn't sharpen, it hones to keep a finer edge on an already sharpened blade.

America's Test Kitchen rated these highly, so I got one, and I'm impressed with the results.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytol View Post
    A steel doesn't sharpen, it hones to keep a finer edge on an already sharpened blade.

America's Test Kitchen rated these highly, so I got one, and I'm impressed with the results.

Yep that’s what I posted further up this thread. Used one for 10 years and it is very easy to use and gets a fine edge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yep that’s what I posted further up this thread. Used one for 10 years and it is very easy to use and gets a fine edge
    Looks interesting…. I’ve always felt that sharpening well and regularly was far more important than the actual knife…. Could be a little present for my Globals?

I do get nice results from my 1000/400 wet stone and I think my technique is ok…. But, this tool seems to make it idiot proof!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    Nice knives, great to see a sharpening choil

Have you ever made a chute knife, or do you stick to non-hollow grind blades?

Rob.
    Thanks, glad you like them.

I’ve never really done any of the Loveless designs although I know they are popular. Most of mine have been full flat grinds with micro secondary angles for cutting ability.
    I might have a look at it in the future but at the moment I’m concentrating on edc slipjoints which are a whole new ballgame!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Looks interesting…. I’ve always felt that sharpening well and regularly was far more important than the actual knife…. Could be a little present for my Globals?

I do get nice results from my 1000/400 wet stone and I think my technique is ok…. But, this tool seems to make it idiot proof!
    Stick to your stones. Really. If you must get a gadget, get a Lansky or a Sharpmaker, but nothing will beat your stones if done right.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Stick to your stones. Really. If you must get a gadget, get a Lansky or a Sharpmaker, but nothing will beat your stones if done right.
    The Lansky and similar systems are excellent. Takes a little time and you need to practice but great results.

I agree they are good. I don’t like those kitchen sharpeners. I find them too aggressive to the steel. They get the job done but usually grind the blade far more than needed.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I agree they are good. I don’t like those kitchen sharpeners. I find them too aggressive to the steel. They get the job done but usually grind the blade far more than needed.
    If not used carefully, also a good way to get hollows or bellies in the blade, or a nice wavy edge.

I'm another advocate of stones, failing that, lansky or similar.

I spent ages looking for good information about the right way to sharpen knives, concerned that I'd been largely doing it wrong for years. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. The single best video I found was this one, which is focused on Japanese knives. That is a good thing because there are a number of easy ways to ruin a Japanese blade. The basic techniques are transferrable to other types of blade as well - you just don't need to be quite as careful:

It's long (47 minutes) but well worth watching the whole thing if you're investing in some good quality knives for the first time - doubly so if you're getting any Japanese knives. Towards the end of the video he talks about different types of whetstones and how to properly use a honing steel (on German knives).

@oldoakknives those really look superb.

Are there any good knife forums around following the demise of BritishBlades? I have a few, mainly custom made knives, that really get no use and would like to move them on.

Craftsman
    +1 for Lansky, really easy to use and quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

Are there any good knife forums around following the demise of BritishBlades? I have a few, mainly custom made knives, that really get no use and would like to move them on.
    edgematters but it tiny compared to britishblades

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I spent ages looking for good information about the right way to sharpen knives, concerned that I'd been largely doing it wrong for years. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. The single best video I found was this one, which is focused on Japanese knives. That is a good thing because there are a number of easy ways to ruin a Japanese blade. The basic techniques are transferrable to other types of blade as well - you just don't need to be quite as careful:

It's long (47 minutes) but well worth watching the whole thing if you're investing in some good quality knives for the first time - doubly so if you're getting any Japanese knives. Towards the end of the video he talks about different types of whetstones and how to properly use a honing steel (on German knives).
    Interesting video, and an excellent method for those who are experienced enough to hold the angles. I've seen a lot of edges convexed though by people who bought a lot of expensive Japanese stones to try this method but struggle to hold the knife at a repeatable angle. For my money the average knife user can learn to use the Lanky system fairly quickly and it gives a good, repeatable edge without the risk of 'rounding' the edge.

And the point of my rambling? Well it's just if you find a knife that you like using, just the right size, comfortable to hold, does the job every time, don't worry about what steel it is, or if it was forged by a wizened old guy who looks like Yoda. Of course if you find a knife you like and it was, then it's win win.

Indeed ook.

Reminds me of something I was watching the other week, (Rick Stein IIRC, or maybe it was Floyd). Anyway, he was watching a guy cooking using what looked like an old butter knife of dinner knife, (square edged bone handle type). He said he'd been using it since he started as a young boy and didn't see the need to change it for anything more 'modern'. When he cut with it it was like using a razor blade.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Interesting video, and an excellent method for those who are experienced enough to hold the angles. I've seen a lot of edges convexed though by people who bought a lot of expensive Japanese stones to try this method but struggle to hold the knife at a repeatable angle. For my money the average knife user can learn to use the Lanky system fairly quickly and it gives a good, repeatable edge without the risk of 'rounding' the edge.

Really interesting. Thanks OOK

At the beginning of Lockdown, I was looking at Lansky systems but couldn’t work out which I needed.

I got my old fishing kit out to get the hook/knife sharpener I knew was in there.
    New Sales Corner type verification photo included.

Watching the above videos posted by OOK, I see I might be onto something! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Matt London; 12th July 2020 at 16:50.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    edgematters but it tiny compared to britishblades
    X2

You'll find many old BB members on there and you'll recognise more than a couple from here (albeit with different names) on that forum too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

As already mentioned Edgematters is the main one I think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good steel that doesn't run to the 000s? I have whetstones but they aren't as convenient for everyday.
    I've been using a Minosharp with my knives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=timxVyO_-Nc

My Uncle in law tried mine on his knives and promptly bought one for himself.

Master
    Thanks, I'll take a look

If you fancy Japanese take a look at the link below, more knives than you can shake a waterstone at . . .

https://www.kinknives.com/
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    I bought five knives in a wood block for £10.99 in Asda they work in the kitchen
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I bought five knives in a wood block for £10.99 in Asda they work in the kitchen
    Some of my favourite knives are 'cheap' knives.

I remember many years ago buying my first shotgun. I asked the dealer what was the difference between the cheaper and (very) expensive choices. He pointed to a life size cut out of a champion shooter and said, "basically that guy could out shoot you with either. But he'd look better doing it with some."

Quote Originally Posted by rihanabrian View Post
    Don't buy the entire set. Buy separate units for your purposes. For example, Victorinox 6” straight boning knife is my favorite. It’s awesome. Flexible blade, scary sharp and a couple passes on a butcher steel brings it right back. I use it for 99% of my meat prep.
    Absolutely! Don’t succumb to the “A matching set in a knife block looks nice” ethos.

Apart from a set of Chicago Cutlery (USA made) knives - all of mine were bought individually, or perhaps a small set of 3 if they were what I wanted. Dabbled with ceramic blades, but find they dull pretty quickly.

Go for high-carbon steel for best edge, and don’t put them anywhere near a dishwasher or a drawer.

Plenty of knife blocks available via Amazon.

(my boning knife isn’t really flexible, but filleting knives are)

I bought a set of these, to use in an apartment I rented earlier this year - during office days in Aberdeen.

(the ones in the apartment were horrible)

They are remarkably good as cheap no-worry knives. £14.30

Taylors Eye Witness (who also produced some higher quality blades)

Craftsman
    Another Global fan here, although I keep catching the wife putting them through the dishwasher

I bought a handful of global knives quite a few years ago and over the time I found that I only mainly use 2
    The bread knife and a gs-5 chefs knife
    The others do get used but no where near as much as these 2