closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen knife set - recommendations please

Kitchen knife set - recommendations please

I need a new set of kitchen knives and want to invest in my first proper quality set.

I'm looking a this cheaper option from Sabatier:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richardson-...ag=googhydr-21

as well as this more expensive set from Robert Welch:

https://www.robertwelch.com/products...nife-sharpener

Looking for advice and recommendations please.

Thanks all!

Just buy a chefs knife, paring knife and bread knife, that’s all you need.

Craftsman
    I got these last year https://www.sabatier-shop.com/ good quality carbon steel. You have to oil them after cleaning but they keep a lovely edge if looked after.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

as well as this more expensive set from Robert Welch:

https://www.robertwelch.com/products...nife-sharpener
    I laughed at this. £250 for a knife set, only to give you a cheapo knife sharpener.

If you're going to spend loads, I recommend going to a shop that sells knives and getting a feel of them in your hand. You don't want to spend bucket loads online only to find that you don't like the grip feel in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    I laughed at this. £250 for a knife set, only to give you a cheapo knife sharpener.

If you're going to spend loads, I recommend going to a shop that sells knives and getting a feel of them in your hand. You don't want to spend bucket loads online only to find that you don't like the grip feel in your hand.
    100%

I went in with a firm idea of what I wanted, but after holding one, I hated it, and bought something totally different.

I also bought a set for around 500 as they were on 'offer' but tbh, as said above, an 8" chefs knife is what I use 90% of the time.

As always, I'll say the one that I own is great but will caveat it with this. I've used Global, Sabatier and Robert Welch. I have the Robert Welch set. Mother in law has both the RW and the Global, mother has the Sabatier and RW. Sabatier are fine though.

The knives are really comfortable to use and very well made. We have had our set for 4 years ish and they don't look used. I haven't even needed to sharpen them to be honest but then they do just have normal household kitchen use, albeit we do cook and not just heat things. I've used the carving knife and fork lots and they are great as well. Most people will recommend either the ones they have or a well known kitchen 'it' brand but the RW's are great. I would suggest if it's local taking a trip over to their shop or John Lewis and seeing how they feel in your hand. I always found Global to be a bit horrible when you had damp/wet hands with the holey handles.

Blog Entries
    I’ve got Global - hardly the most original choice, but, they’re popular for a reason!

2 things

- as has been said - Chefs Knife - smaller knife and carving knife - bread knife isn’t as critical unless you insist on them all matching!

- Get a good sharpener and learn to use it properly (YouTube is a good resource). I use a 400/1000 whetstone and it keeps the edges super sharp

I followed a thread on here a few years back on this very subject. After many recommendations from the usual subjects (Global etc) and a few left field suggestions re Japanese steel at nonsense prices.....I took a look at some of the German brands being suggested (I'd never heard of them) and eventually plumped for Wusthof, the Clasic range.

https://www.kitchenknives.co.uk/by-b...ock-set-beech/

We've had these about 3 years now and couldn't be happier......another great TZ recommendation.

There is merit in Dragonjade's suggestion, as well as in junglebert's: a full set looks really nice but you'll end up not using half of it, so spending the same amount on half a set means usually better knives.

Of course, anything half decent is to be kept away from the dishwasher, and ideally from your wife, unless she really knows what she is doing. if you have some cash left, get yourself a butcher's block, your future knives will thank you.

Global usually doesn't disappoint; Sabatier can be very good, but they have different ranges; if you go for carbon steel, you may get a great set but it will require regular maintenance.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I would do this too. For a long time I only had a Santoku, a utility knife and a paring knife. Along with a pair of kitchen scissors it was enough for all my cooking needs (I didn't eat much bread). Had these stored on a 3 knife block I bought separately.

My santoku and utility are Eden VG-10 ones from the knives and tools website.
    https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...sic-damast.htm
    I prefer stainless for the low maintenance and easy to clean properties. VG-10 is probably better than most carbon steel anyway. Also a good idea to learn how to sharpen your knives.

If you're still set on a ready-made knife set, my missus brought with her a Joseph Joseph set when she moved in. Came very sharp out of the box and we didn't need to sharpen them for a long time. Very comfortable grips too.

Apprentice
    As others have suggested, get a few knives to start with, and slowly build up your collection if you need to.

Don't forget, the Chinese only have one knife.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    a few left field suggestions re Japanese steel at nonsense prices....
    Probably all hand forged by master craftsmen, maybe even the handful that still exist that make samurai swords.
    Last edited by DragonJade; 10th July 2020 at 15:52.

Knives are a very personal thing and the only way to find out what's best for you is to try several different ones out.

Doing this I've ended up with some knives from a Brazilian brand, Tramontina, some ONE70's from Richardson of Sheffield, and some from Flint & Flame. All have their different uses and I do do a lot of cooking.

My favourites, and the ones I use most, are my two different sized Santoku's from Flint & Flame.

The most important thing is to keep them sharp, even a cheap knife, (if well balanced), will serve you well if you keep it sharp.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    This - definitely.

Spend your budget on a few good ones rather than lots of ok ones and you’ll be far happier in the long run.

As has already been said, don't waste money buying lots of knives you will probably never use, just get 2-3 good quality ones which you like the feel and balance of.

I use Global and have a chefs knife and boning knife. My wife has a small Global 'cleaver' and I hate it as it is too small for me.

Get a good sharpener too to keep them sharp.

Apprentice
    Oh, I just thought. To confuse you even more, there are ceramic knives. I don't know much about them except I remember reading that they maintain a sharp edge really well, and one of the best manufacturers is Kyocera.

Journeyman
    I followed a thread on here a few years back on this very subject. After many recommendations from the usual subjects (Global etc) and a few left field suggestions re Japanese steel at nonsense prices.....I took a look at some of the German brands being suggested (I'd never heard of them) and eventually plumped for Wusthof, the Clasic range.

We've had these about 3 years now and couldn't be happier......another great TZ recommendation.
    FWIW I have a Wusthof set that seems virtually identical to this, more than 20 years on still going strong having had plenty of use/abuse. As others have said you may not use all items in a set, one in mine is almost never used.

Master
    Wusthof and Global here. Use the Global chefs knife 90% of the time and the Wusthof set for the other 10%

I don't think I could cope with only 2 knives.

I need, and use often:

Chef's knife
    Paring knife
    Boning knife
    Carving knife
    Bread knife
    Ham knife
    Steel + fork

I have, but don't use more than once or twice a year:

Smaller chef's knife
    Peeling knife
    Smaller boning knife
    A cleaver
    Serrated knife

Another vote for Wusthof.

I recommended the Epicure set. A good balance of cost to quality. Each knife ranges from £90 to £130.
    An 18/20cm chefs, 12cm veg knife and then either the bread or craving knife depending on your needs is all you need unless you want a nice set.

Takes a wicked edge as well. First time I used the bread knife, nigh on took my thumb off...just wasn’t use to the that kind of sharpness after replacing my old RW knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve a set of Wusthof Classic I’ve had getting on for 20 years now. No complaints at all. Only ever hand washed and regularly sharpened. I got a deal where I could pick what I wanted in the block so everything is regularly used. Only added a Classic version of the Santoku recently but that is now one of my favourites alongside the 20” cooks knife

Journeyman
    Sabatier for us.

Zwilling J. A. Henckels

if you can stretch to more expensive then ones with VG10 steel

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I’ve a set of Wusthof Classic I’ve had getting on for 20 years now. No complaints at all. Only ever hand washed and regularly sharpened. I got a deal where I could pick what I wanted in the block so everything is regularly used. Only added a Classic version of the Santoku recently but that is now one of my favourites alongside the 20” cooks knife

I have a Santoku in Damascus steel that is my go to knife for practically everything in the kitchen.
    That, and a serrated bread knife is pretty much everything I need, although a grapefruit knife would be handy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Every time I accidentally run one of my (cheap but functional) kitchen knives against one of my fingers when slicing and dicing, I am grateful for deciding to not buy a set of razor sharp knives after all

Master
    Another option is going to a catering supply store and getting something that a restaurant kitchen would use. We did this for my son for his first cooks knife. You get something decent that won’t break the bank but does the job well. Plus you don’t need to baby it so much whilst you get more of an idea of what knife types you will use.

As said several times I wouldn’t buy a set rather buy the individual knives you need.

Additionally be very careful with “Sabatier” - loads of companies use that name, some are good, some are dire.

Finally get a couple of good sharpening stones and learn how to use them - it’s not hard and rather therapeutic.

My absolute favourite kitchen knife was made for me by TK Knives - tkknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Zwilling J. A. Henckels

if you can stretch to more expensive then ones with VG10 steel
    This

And if your budget won’t stretch look for any German knives made in Solingen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Have a look at Pro Cook, professional series with the X50 steel.

Savagely sharp, strong and very well made. Also, excellent value, not cheap, but the sets, steels and glass magnetic holders are great.

https://www.procook.co.uk/shop/knive...iAAEgJIV_D_BwE

I would never buy a set - always individual knives.

Buy a chefs knife - which is used for 90% of the work you need and spend a decent bit on it.

If you don’t know much about knives, the main thing to consider isGerman vs Japanese:

- Japanese are much lighter and have a flatter blade profile
    - Germans generally very heavy (the Wusthof a few people have mentioned is extremely heavy) and have a curved ‘belly’ towards the front half of the knife
    - Germans are made of softer steel which makes them more hard wearing but not as sharp or have as good edge retention
    - Japanese are made of harder steel so are sharper and easier to sharpen, but need a bit more care

People often buy German because they are readily available and the weight makes it feel good quality, but the best knives are all Japanese.

I would go for the 210mm (8 inch) Masamoto VG as the perfect starter Japanese chef knife (or gyuto as they’re known). Great cutting profile, sharp out the box, stainless steel so easy to maintain and not ridiculously expensive. The Tojiro DP is a good cheaper option.

Along with that I’d buy a Victorinox pairing knife (£5-10) and replace when it gets dull. Same with a Victorinox bread knife (pastry knife as they call it). Cheap and cheerful but very good. Along with this get a nice big wooden board, and stones to learn to sharpen with. The King 1000/6000 is a good low cost option

Another vote for Wusthof, specifically their Classic range.

If you've never been one for nice knives in the past then don't practice sharpening or honing on good ones. You'll end up ruining some lovely steel.

As suggested, get a good sharpener and learn how to use. The most expensive or the best knife will be useless if blunt.

Wow, this thread is turning out to be a cutting edge education!

I love how the best quality equipment seems to be made in Japan or Germany. Just like with watches.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Every time I accidentally run one of my (cheap but functional) kitchen knives against one of my fingers when slicing and dicing, I am grateful for deciding to not buy a set of razor sharp knives after all
    Good point, very well made!

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    Buy a chefs knife - which is used for 90% of the work you need and spend a decent bit on it.

I would go for the 210mm (8 inch) Masamoto VG as the perfect starter Japanese chef knife (or gyuto as they’re known). Great cutting profile, sharp out the box, stainless steel so easy to maintain and not ridiculously expensive. The Tojiro DP is a good cheaper option.

Along with that I’d buy a Victorinox pairing knife (£5-10) and replace when it gets dull. Same with a Victorinox bread knife (pastry knife as they call it). Cheap and cheerful but very good. Along with this get a nice big wooden board, and stones to learn to sharpen with. The King 1000/6000 is a good low cost option
    Thanks for such a detailed and thoughtful reply.

I like this idea, spend most of the money on the knife that I'd reach for the most and get a cheaper paring knife and bread knife. Good plan!

Thanks for such a detailed and thoughtful reply.

I like this idea, spend most of the money on the knife that I'd reach for the most and get a cheaper paring knife and bread knife. Good plan!
    If you do go this route I would also look at Kuhn Rikon for the bread and paring knives - they are great knives and amazing value - their bread knife is especially good, but very large.

How about this as the 'one to rule them all?'

https://www.chefsknifestore.co.uk/pr...fs-knife-8-d67

I built up a set of Global knives over a few years.

20 years later. I cant ever see me buying elsewhere.

How about this as the 'one to rule them all?'

https://www.chefsknifestore.co.uk/pr...fs-knife-8-d67
    That one has a full bolster (the bit of metal that runs top to bottom between handle and blade. You don’t want that.

The bolster is going to add weight, and also make sharpening difficult, as well as making a proper pinch grip more difficult.

I notice the style of of, another question is does the look of the knife matter to you?

Apprentice

Bread knife

I just need a good bread knife as I have a Sabitier chefs knife which does most of what I require

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    That one has a full bolster (the bit of metal that runs top to bottom between handle and blade. You don’t want that.

The bolster is going to add weight, and also make sharpening difficult, as well as making a proper pinch grip more difficult.

I notice the style of of, another question is does the look of the knife matter to you?
    Thanks, didn't notice that. I'm a novice.

The style/look of the knife doesn't really matter to me, just the functionality.

You'd recommend the Masamoto, right?

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/prod...es-gyuto-210mm

Costs as much as a set that one!

Quote Originally Posted by AUDISTEVE2 View Post
    I just need a good bread knife as I have a Sabitier chefs knife which does most of what I require
    Strong recommendation for the Kuhn Rikon bread knife - about £25-30 available on Amazon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    This

And if your budget won’t stretch look for any German knives made in Solingen

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

https://www.brandalley.co.uk/home/sales/zwilling.html

Decent discounts here.

I did a bit of research into all this about a year ago as I wanted to buy some better quality knives, but threads like these always tend to raise more questions than they answer.

Probably the most important thing to know is that Japanese knives in general use much harder steel than German knives. This means they hold an edge longer, but it also means they need to be sharpened on a stone. You cannot touch up a Japanese knife with a honing steel or the edge will chip.

Personally, I decided that I really like Wusthof Ikons. They are a good weight, balance and very sharp. Plus they can be honed to keep them consistently sharp without the hassle of having to use a whetstone to maintain the edge. I'll probably get more into Japanese knives later once I've developed some skill sharpening the one I have. That one started off sharper than Wusthofs but fairly quickly became less sharp. For now, I just don't have the time to be messing around with whetstones regularly, although I understand some people find it relaxing so YMMV.

I previously had a variety of mid-range knives (Sabatier and so on) collected over many years. I got rid of them all and pared things down to what I actually use, which is:

• One small paring knife (9cm). For anything that requires precision.
    • One long paring knife (16cm). Wusthof call theirs a "slicing knife" or a "carving knife" depending on who you ask. This is my first choice for almost everything as it's light & maneuverable, long enough to handle pretty much anything, but not so long as to be unweildy.
    • One large chef's knife. For the heavier duty tasks. As mentioned elsethread, the Wusthof one of these is quite heavy, which is perfect, as gravity does most of the work for you.
    • One Wusthof 20cm bread knife. I'm quite specific about this one as I rarely use it as a bread knife, although it obviously does an excellent job of that. It's my only serrated knife and it's perfect for carving meat, cleanly slicing tomatoes*: all sorts of stuff you can't really do with a typical bread knife. I don't know if anyone other than Wusthof makes a serrated knife as versatile as this. It's a completely different beast to every bread knife I've owned previously, some of which were pretty good bread knives.

* I recall a TV chef saying that the test of whether a (non-serrated) knife is properly sharpened is whether it can cut a tomato. I could do that with my old knives as long as I maintained them properly. With the Wusthof knives, I can easily cut tomatoes into very thin slices with almost no effort. I didn't realise how bad (in comparison) my old knives were. The difference is night and day. The bread knife can't cut tomatoes quite as thinly, but it's much faster. My old bread knife would just tear a tomato into pieces rather than cut it.

Or get some hand made British knives like these bad boys!

Thanks, didn't notice that. I'm a novice.

The style/look of the knife doesn't really matter to me, just the functionality.

You'd recommend the Masamoto, right?

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/prod...es-gyuto-210mm

Costs as much as a set that one!
    Depends on how keen a chef you are I suppose. I enjoy cooking, do it everyday and want to have good tools. It costs the same as a set of rubbish knives, but it’s a good knife that will last a lifetime rather than buying a block of knifes - half of which you’ll never use - that you will need to upgrade because they aren’t any good. As has been mentioned a few times, you don’t need a full set, you need a chef and a bread knife, maybe a pairing/petty but to be honest I never use those. Everything revolves around the chef knife.

Personally, I prefer to buy fewer high quality things rather than lots of low quality things - but you’re right you can get more knives for the money if that’s what you prefer.

Check out the Tojiro DP, that’s the best knife under £100. The fit and finish isn’t as good as the Masamoto, but it’s still very good, and will get very sharp:

https://www.knivesforchefs.co.uk/toj...5mm-1971-p.asp

Master
    For the last ten years I’ve had four of these

https://www.kai-europe.com/kitchen/s...ic.php?lang=en

A small office , utility, chefs and carving

together with

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...asian-edge.htm

Will last a lifetime

Blog Entries
    Some great knives mentioned here. And some really good steels used to make them. Using a knife thats just the right shape and size, and made of the right steel for the job is always satisfying.

These two are made using some steels requested by the owners. Although not 'kitchen knives' in the strict sense they were made with food preparation in mind!

This one is made with 14c28n from Sandvik in Sweden. According to their website. "Sandvik 14C28N® is mainly recommended for knife applications which put very high demands on edge sharpness, edge stability and corrosion resistance. Examples are pocket knives, chefs knives, hunting knives and fishing knives." According to feedback I've had they aren't wrong.

And this one is 67 layer steel from Takefu in Japan. The centre core and cutting edge is VG10 which is clad in 33 alternating softer layers each side. Again I have feedback that it is an excellent steel for taking and holding an edge. Often seen in kitchen knives, again this one is primarily for food 'prep' although not a 'kitchen knife' as such.

And this one? Well this one is my favourite kitchen knife. The one I hate anyone else using. It belonged to my father and I have no idea how old it is. On the blade it says "Super Stainless, Pacific Professional, Japan". I have no idea what the steel is. It's not big or heavy, but slices like Excalibur. Holds a good edge. The wooden handle scales look like washed out driftwood, and the brass bolsters look like they've been sandblasted thanks to being thrown in the dishwasher hundreds of times. I use it for everything except cutting bread or cheese.

And the point of my rambling? Well it's just if you find a knife that you like using, just the right size, comfortable to hold, does the job every time, don't worry about what steel it is, or if it was forged by a wizened old guy who looks like Yoda. Of course if you find a knife you like and it was, then it's win win.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

This. I've had a set of Wustof classic for about 10 years and still as good as new. Good idea to get their sharpener and a steel. I went a bit overboard with them but you can probably get away with a chef, paring / fillet, carving and bread.