closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it with G-Shock

Craftsman

What is it with G-Shock

Ive been a member on this great forum for coming up 2 years now and have learned more than I ever expected. However one of the things that surprised me most was the high regard that G-Shocks are held in.

Dont get me wrong, its not that I dont like them, in all honestly Ive just never looked at them. Ive always just considered them to be just a digital watch that people would use when they dont want to scratch their proper watch.

So tell me, is this a naive point of view - is there more to the G-Shock that Im missing?

They're practical, convenient, almost indestructible, atomic and solar ones keep time perfectly.
    They've got a 37 and counting year heritage, so early ones can definitely be considered vintage.
    But I guess mostly, they're fun and cheap to moderately priced for the most part so having a small (or large) collection of them is relatively easily achievable. If you don't see any of that, then fair enough, but a lot of others do 🙂

I recently bought a rangeman and a mudman and I haven't worn anything else lately. Compared to what I usually wear it almost comes as a relief that I don't have to worry about them or constantly consider what I'm doing. They're ugly but still have a strange allure. Daughter has started calling the Mudman my Ben10 watch which isnt encouraging at 47. Not ready yet for a two tone datejust.

Mostly because their practical and indestructible.

I've got one mostly as a watch I wear when I don't want to worry about it i.e. sports, nights out, travelling

They probably appeal mostly to active people, outdoor activity and manual workers who want the toughest watch possible with many digital features.

The don't appeal to office types, people who don't do much outdoors and don't need a tough watch.

I don't get them either, but it'd be dull if we all liked the same thing.

Closest I ever got was a Casio F91 that I used to wear when I went windsurfing in the 1980s (the windsurfer was sold years ago and I've no idea where the Casio is).

At least, though, the F91 had the decency to be disposably cheap!

I obviously don't have a dangerous enough life to feel the need for an indestructible watch.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    They probably appeal mostly to active people, outdoor activity and manual workers who want the toughest watch possible with many digital features.

They don't appeal to office types, people who don't do much outdoors and don't need a tough watch.
    Yeah, and the SAS wear 'em too

I guess they are aimed at people with a roughty-toughty outdoor lifestyle, but I see more on the wrists of office-bound metrosexuals than Bear Grylls clones

Personally, they remind me of Chopper bicycles, the sort of thing my school mates would coo over while I preferred a faster, less rubbish racer.

I've always been a bit counter-culture like that

Still, as with every other watch, if you like 'em, enjoy!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th July 2020 at 09:08.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

All I can recommend is get yourself a g-shock square of the tough solar and multiband 6 variety, wear it on the weekend and bask in the liberation of it all, then let us know your thoughts.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

I wear My G Shock GW3500 for flying duties its been knocked,scraped,dropped,and it syncs without fail they are wear and forget watches a great suggestion from last contributor about a square G Shock.

Craftsman
    Depends what you want a watch for. If it's to tell the time, G Shocks are the best at it. Most accurate because of the atomic clock synchs, self sufficient because they're solar powered, and it will keep working in pretty much any circumstances.

Mechanical watches are worse at their primary function in pretty much every way, but we like them for irrational reasons.

For me its partly practicality, partly nostalgia and partly an enjoyment of a classic design, at least as far as the square ones go.

They certainly live up to their reputed toughness - when we had scaffolding up on the house I tested an old 5610 I had by going up to the top and dropping it onto the terrace - so from the roof ridge of a three-floor house. It... Bounced. And the plastic-steel bracelet popped the spring bar at the clasp. Otherwise it was none the worse. Try that with an FP Journe...

Clearly irrational, for Id not survive a fall like that even if my watch would, but impressive nonetheless. When I was a kid in the mid-late 1980s, a G-Shock was the ultimate cool, and now theyve put out a range of full metal squares I am in my element: theyre (relatively) affordable, set-and-forget, no-maintenance and they tweak both the nostalgia and nerd centres in my limbic system.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Closest I ever got was a Casio F91 that I used to wear when I went windsurfing in the 1980s (the windsurfer was sold years ago and I've no idea where the Casio is).

At least, though, the F91 had the decency to be disposably cheap!

I obviously don't have a dangerous enough life to feel the need for an indestructible watch.

Yeah, and the SAS wear 'em too

I guess they are aimed at people with a roughty-toughty outdoor lifestyle, but I see more on the wrists of office-bound metrosexuals than Bear Grylls clones

Personally, they remind me of Chopper bicycles, the sort of thing my school mates would coo over while I preferred a faster, less rubbish racer.

I've always been a bit counter-culture like that

M
    I`m not talking about SAS wannabees or bear grylls clones, people in the trades, blacksmiths, painters, carpenters, plumbers, mechanics, window fitters, builders, fitness fanatics, people who do sports / outdoor activities and the list goes on and on.

Most of the people I know are like that and I see g-shocks several times a day.

Of course people buy them who have no need for them but you get that with everything.

Master
    I really have no idea, ugly, plastic, hideous things.
    That metal one is OK, but I really can't see the attraction.

This is cool though

Master
    Its not that I don't like them, although most are purposefully hideous, but I've never really seen the point. Yes, they are tough, but normal quartz watches can take as much abuse as any normal human can throw at them, the only real vulnerability on analog ones being the crystal. Yes, you can use your G-shock as a squash ball if you so desire, but can someone tell me what activity - whilst a watch is actually worn - is so demanding that it requires a G-shock, that a normal quartz watch couldn't handle? Anything really harsh will hurt you long before a watch is harmed.

AND - G-shocks were fine as a tough practical watch when they were 60, but now Casio try to charge hundreds of quid for them!

They cover a wide range of price points, materials, looks, and most of all: functions. Nil maintenance needs on their solar options too.
    I can't think of any other manufacturer that does this.

The metal headed negative display G looks remarkably smart too.

What is it with G-Shock

I used to wear digital most of the time when I was young and quartz was in its infancy. They offered greater accuracy and were cheap to replace if you damaged them - which was quite often as an overactive kid!
    Then I discovered mechanical watches and left digital behind as I worked my way through a range of brands.
    That was until I saw this...

Ive rediscovered what I so liked about digital watches all those years ago!
    Now its on my wrist most of the time as its a real wear and forget - always bang on time, no date changes, no moving the hour forwards or backwards for BST, no need to wind it, tough as nails with no need for servicing and its very comfortable on the wrist.
    Its also led me to buy some of the classic black squares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 10th July 2020 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I`m not talking about SAS wannabees or bear grylls clones, people in the trades, blacksmiths, painters, carpenters, plumbers, mechanics, window fitters, builders, fitness fanatics, people who do sports / outdoor activities and the list goes on and on.

Most of the people I know are like that and I see g-shocks several times a day.

Of course people buy them who have no need for them but you get that with everything.
    Yeah, but you can pretty much do all those things in a Seiko 5 or any quartz watch.

Very few people in your list NEED a G-Shock, their choice is as irritational as any other watch, but it seems that G-Shock owners seem to justify their choice more than most.

If people like them, fine, but they don't really fill a need 99% of the time anymore than any other watch.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

M
    Same for me when it comes to divers watches. None of the people I see sporting a submariner or seamaster have ever dived with them :) And I strongly suspect that the 2 speedmaster owners I know haven't been to space either :)
    It's just personal taste at the end.

I'll just... er... leave this here...

I never got it either, then over time i grew interested and then this year I bought a full metal, then another 5600 and then..I stopped after realising that they are addictive. Very affordable and as stated convenient and at my age VERY easy to read given the crappy state of my eyes. No need to go OTT with anything pricey like I did, all have their benefits but the older styled versions are tiny by todays standards, I bought one for my missues for 3, thats for timing her runnng on the stopwatch.
    Keith

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'll just... er... leave this here...

There's a lot of watch brands that could be in the last box including the seemingly most popular. I always have one or 2 G Shocks in my collection. Currently own a King G and and a MT-G and love them both. Great for a grab and go, both solar/multiband 6 and tough as old boots😁

Master
    Would love this one:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    Care to elaborate?

Master
    Ah, thanks had no idea who he was😁 Worth watching?

Yeah, but you can pretty much do all those things in a Seiko 5 or any quartz watch.

Very few people in your list NEED a G-Shock, their choice is as irritational as any other watch, but it seems that G-Shock owners seem to justify their choice more than most.

If people like them, fine, but they don't really fill a need 99% of the time anymore than any other watch.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    I dont think theres much irrational about cheap, well made and very accurate. I also find the alarms and timers helpful, Im from a generation who doesnt rely on my phone for stuff like that. Actually I probably have less use for a shiny mechanical watch tbh, I have had a few Seiko watches and most gained or lost 15+ seconds a day, didnt hack and couldnt be hand wound. Ive also done the expensive Swiss thing and on reflection they were man jewellery really. Each to their own and room for everything

I'm a big Gshock fan, having grown up in the 80s I remember sitting in school assembly playing with my Zeon watch (Casio was still too expensive on 1 a week pocket money). Today I have a few, I like the style, the robustness, the ease of changing bezels and straps to other colours and I do use the stop watch and count down timer every day.
    I've had a few swiss autos over the years, Breitling, Omega etc, but their relative fragility and high value never allowed me in my mind to just wear one every day carefree. I realised I was more of a Gshock man a few years ago when I went into London with the intention of buying a Breitling. On the way I popped into Gshock Carnaby St and tried on a few. Later at Breitling I was just about to say yes to a watch I had been saving for, but all I was thinking was did I have time to get back to Gshock to buy the watch from earlier. I realised my heart was no longer in the Breitling and went off to buy the Casio.
    In the years since have bought a few Gshocks, some I love and still have, some were moved on, but it's a brand and style I really like.
    I could easily now afford Rolex etc but my 130 mudman makes me happy.
    Yes some people don't get the attraction, but isn't it great that as watch fans we all like different things. I wear them as no matter how cheap they are or if others view them as childrens watches, I appreciate the design, style and tech of them and most of all I still like glancing at one on my wrist even if I don't care about the time. That for me is the most important thing no matter what brand or price point of watches you are in to.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    All I can recommend is get yourself a g-shock square of the tough solar and multiband 6 variety, wear it on the weekend and bask in the liberation of it all, then let us know your thoughts.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
    Good advice, I might start with a cheap one and see where it takes me.

I use a Multiband Solar GW-M5610-1ER that cost me 120 in Argos about 5 years ago to set all my other watches off.

I also sleep wearing the GShock as it auto lights up when I move my wrist.

Between all the gear in my watch box; Rolex, Omega, Zenith, Longines, etc...

That old G-Shock probably has the most hours on my wrist.

Sadly I have thin wrists which is why casio oceanus comes in - tough solar and multiband 6....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Ah, thanks had no idea who he was
    Same here ..I would have taken offence too..I thought to myself, who the f** is that?

Dont think you have to get the G-Shock, however even without liking the design anyone could still respect what they can do.

Then consider the price point and compare what luxury watches do / can take ;-)

Some great videos on YouTube of G-shocks and what they can stand ( eg strap to a bmx wheel, watch face to the street). Bit of a weird scenario but goes to show what they can survive. Look for g-shock torture on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    So tell me, is this a naive point of view - is there more to the G-Shock that Im missing?
    Nope, theyre the SUV of the watch world and appeal to the Walter Mitty in us. Wearing one shows others that were rugged, go anywhere Explorer types.

I expect Ross Kemp (Grant Mitchell) wears a G-Shock.

Craftsman
    Quite simply it's a fit for purpose tool watch. If you need one, you buy one and wear it. I'd rather batter me G then one of my "civvi" watches. The other plus is that is hardly likely to be "confiscated" on ya travels either.

So light I forget mine (GW5610) is there and so easily cleaned under a tap when scrubbed with a nail brush. Mine is the only watch I practically couldn't do without.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Nope, theyre the SUV of the watch world and appeal to the Walter Mitty in us. Wearing one shows others that were rugged, go anywhere Explorer types.

Rolex from the pictures I can find.

Great posts here on the being light note My new GWF A1000 froggie is one heavy watch it is perfect marriage of app and watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Rolex from the pictures I can find.
    Im sure Ive also seen him.................................... wearing a Panerai ................................... on one of his documentaries.

This is why I 'get' g-shocks. I'm wearing my ga800 today for the first time in weeks. I'm doing woodwork, wood staining, hedge trimming, chipping garden waste etc and I dont have to think or worry about my watch. And afterwards I'll wear it in the shower with me to clean it off, the only watch I'll subject to the hot water, steam, and soap. It cost less than fifty quid new, it's incredibly accurate and in my opinion looks pretty good too.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    its just unbreakable. ive dragged mine through almost anything under the sun!

Been out on the bikes today, always take a G Shock. I love visiting the coast and the tide graph is a useful feature too. Solar, Atomic timekeeping, maintenance free, what's not to like! (maybe the looks to some)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

So a bit like a divers watch worn by someone who works in an office.

I really like them for all the reasons stated so far...though apparently theyre not aspirational enough 🤷🏻

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I really like them for all the reasons stated so far...though apparently theyre not aspirational enough 🤷🏻
    Apparently you can walk into a shop that you've never bought anything before from, buy whichever one you like, and walk out with it there and then. They even let you take the warranty card with you!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    But are they a higher order of consumerism?

Craftsman
    I bought one with digital display and didn't like it. Can't really in see much of display unless it's a bright day.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

While there are cheap ones, which undoubtedly serve a purpose for many people, some are horrendously expensive for a lump of plastic (or even metal) with a $20 (let's be generous) dgitial quartz mechanism.

I have a lot of respect for Casio's cheap quartz watches, like the F91, so it's not a snobbery issue, I just find the arguments for G-Shocks unconvincing, personally.

From time to time I look at getting one, just to see if maybe I am missing something, but I can never reconcile myself to it.

As for the arguments that most Divers watches never get wet or that Pilot's watches are mostly only ever worn in the passenger cabin on airlines, I agree entirely, people don't buy them because they need them, but you rarely hear anyone justify their purchase of such a watch on the basis that 1,000M water resistance is essential in a watch suited to their lifestyle...

Wearing anything but the cheapest, most basic watch is, in part, irrational, but that doesn't mean it's WRONG.

Clearly a lot of people see an appeal in G-Shocks and some don't.

I don't think, as someone said a little while ago, you need to 'get' G-Shocks, anymore than you need to get Rolex or Patek Phillipe.

I'm wearing a Laco Flieger today, but I've no intention of bombing Coventry...

M

Craftsman
    I'm wearing a Laco Flieger today, but I've no intention of bombing Coventry...

M
    You would if you'd ever been...

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    - I did, once, and really enjoyed the motor museum!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    The cathedral is rather nice as well

Craftsman
    Full disclosure: I was born there, so I reserve the right to take the piss

As a slight perversion of this thread, I dont get higher priced G-shocks...

Ive had a few squares which Ive loved (the other G-shocks are too big for my taste). As much as I enjoy the mechanical watches in the box, my GW-B5600BC gets more wrist time than anything else, particularly during coronavirus-sponsored DIY, gardening and decorating.

Thing is, it has all the atomic clock, tough solar, automatic back light, Bluetooth thingamies that I could ever need and I can bash it around safe in the knowledge it can take a licking and keep on err... bleeping?

If in the highly unlikely event of it becoming irreparably damaged, well, it was only 140 new....

A yellow-metal PVD coated steel model at six times the price doesnt really have the same peace of mind qualities to me but maybe thats more a reflection on my spending habits rather than tastes.

Having said that, if ever I was in a position to spend 70k on a watch, the solid gold G-D5000-9JR would be up there on the shortlist!