closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving Across Europe Advice

Master

Driving Across Europe Advice

Hi all,

For unavoidable family reasons, I will be driving from the UK to Eastern Europe very soon.

I have never driven so far or outside of the uk before, and need the collective experience of the forum to brainstorm all the necessities I won’t have thought of.

I expect to drive 16 or so hours to Eastern Germany, stay a night and then complete the journey next day.

Questions;

1) what car preparations should I make? Thinking physical adaptations / checks etc to be EU road legal. My car is 7 yeas old; I plan to take it to a garage for a thorough safety check to try and identify any issues that an be fixed prior to going.

2) what Car insurance preparations should I make? How does it work? I’d need to a travel companion to be able to drive my car - is this done through my insurance?

3) do I need any special preparations / documents for border guards as we cross various EU borders? Are there even border checks as it’s all EU?

4) any advice on driving technique so my car doesn’t have issues?

5) are there going to be any Covid issues driving through various countries even if we aren’t stopping at all in that country?

6) what else won’t I have thought of?

7) I work in a quarantine exempt industry so needing to quarantine on return isn’t an issue.

8) will need to buy travel insurance; I imagine Covid Illness won’t be covered But that’s fine.

Thanks!

PS the trip is necessary so pls can replies just be practical and helpful, and not debating the sense of travel presently!
    Last edited by ach5; 9th July 2020 at 19:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would start by asking my insurance company what I need,do we need green cards again I have no idea.

You can add European breakdown onto RAC cover I would definitely have some kind of cover.

whats the end destination?

Very basic points but when I first drove abroad to Nice in France I often reminded myself right is right, go the opposite way on a roundabout and their fast lane is our slow lane.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 9th July 2020 at 19:13.

Craftsman
    I think you'll need to research the driving requirements for all the countries you intend to travel through, such as, carrying spare bulbs, reflective jacket and triangle, and so on.

For a start I'm not sure I would drive for 16 hours in an familiar environment never mind an unfamiliar one - you will find it more tiring as road signs, priorities at junctions etc. will all be different.

Contacting your insurance company and AA/RAC for advice on practical issues such as green cards, particular 'local' regulations and so on would also be sensible.
    Ensure any travel insurance you have covers you for COVID related problems.

Four I can advise on are:

(i) call insurance to get full cover as usually just third party within Europe on your UK policy

(ii) drive sedately like 90% of speed limit to conserve fuel and stress on the car

(iii) check all countries you cross for their rules e.g. breathalyser required in France; warning triangles, first aid kits, etc. in others

(iv) defo need paperwork leaving the EU, usually some form saying you'll be coming back out of X within 60 days or suchlike which FFS keep a hold of as they'll check it on exit

No serious issues, just plan your route and stops and enjoy the drive

Master
    Thanks all - really good advice already and things I wasn’t aware of.

The whole journey will be within the EU.

Make sure you have Waze on your phone and charging lead

Check spare tyre is legal and consider buying another spare.

Also driving 16 hours in 24 is verging on negligent ..... reckon on stopping every 2 to 3 hours for a proper leg stretch and snooze. At least at this time of year there is a lot of daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    ^ yes sorry when I said driving for 16 hours I didn’t mean a solid block of driving - I meant the first days driving would be over 16 hours but probably with at least four hour long breaks.

My car doesn’t have a spare tyre - just a puncture kit...

Hi,

The Gov.UK web site should provide all the information that you will need as the different countries you will travel through will have different regulations. As pointed out Hazard Triangles, Fire extinguisher/s, Hi Viz jackets, Breathalyser/s, a complete set of bulbs and Headlamp deflectors are all required in France though may not be required in another country.

Re the driving aspect, I came across to Spain in October 2019 and tomorrow I return to the UK though whilst I have been across here, including travelling the length of the country, I have loved being behind the wheel.
    It is easy and far more relaxing than driving in the UK.

As stated previously plan everything beforehand enjoy your drive and let us know how you find it.

Regards.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    For a start I'm not sure I would drive for 16 hours in an familiar environment never mind an unfamiliar one - you will find it more tiring as road signs, priorities at junctions etc. will all be different.

Contacting your insurance company and AA/RAC for advice on practical issues such as green cards, particular 'local' regulations and so on would also be sensible.
    Ensure any travel insurance you have covers you for COVID related problems.
    Agree 16 hours is a long drive but if shared not too bad. Stick to the Autoroute/Autobahn where possible, driving is pretty easy, few signs and junctions to worry about and might easily take less than 16 hours to overnight stop.

Plenty of coffee or energy drinks to keep you going but obviously if you feel tired just take a break. Loads of websites detailing what you need to carry and definitely buy before you go. Don't necessarily need everything they try to peddle at the ferry terminals.

Fire extinguisher not needed in France BTW!
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 9th July 2020 at 19:42.

If you don't have a sat nav get one with full European maps. It takes a lot of stress out of driving (although well worth knowing what your route is as well so not 100% dependent)

Make sure you have a credit card/debit card in the car with you (with no overseas charges - various companies do them). Makes it much easier to pay for tolls without needing change.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I would advocate all of the advice already given.

Driving on the ‘wrong side’ soon becomes normal, however, concentration is definitely needed after driving breaks.

Pulling out of junctions and looking the correct way for both junctions and roundabouts are easy to forget, especially once you’ve stopped for a while.

I would look to take your time rather than blast it in as quick a journey as possible.

Use of horn is mandatory in some countries.

Don't take it personally.

Journeyman
    Avoid french and Italian drivers if you can. They always seem to pull out in front of me without much of a care!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

Buy one and find somewhere to squeeze it in or stick it on the roof. Do you really want to be stuck on the side of a continental motorway trying to make yourself understood to a breakdown operator who doesn't speak English* because you've had a blowout that a bit of goo is not going to fix.

*In France and possibly other countries, you can only be recovered from the side of a motorway by the authorities who will tow you to a service area to hand you over to your breakdown service. When this happened to me I phoned the RAC who said speak to the locals and call us again when you are in the services. The RAC certainly, probably the others, can't / won't call the authorities in your behalf.

I would not venture overseas without continental breakdown insurance unless I was prepared to write-off my car and continue the journey by public transport / buy another car!

All that said, enjoy it. We (well actually mainly I) drove to Alicante and back a few years ago and it was great fun. The most I did in a day was about 550 miles and I was utterly exhausted and that was in a very relaxing to drive / comfortable Saab 9-5. Oh and if you have cruise control use it, it makes a huge difference to how tiring long distance driving is.

I expect to drive 16 or so hours
    Take a tube of Preparation H !

Blog Entries
    Have you considered hiring a car for this trip - in Europe?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Have you considered hiring a car for this trip - in Europe?
    It crossed my mind but I imagined (without any real knowledge) that it would be far more complex / expensive than just taking my own? Happy to hear any advice if this isn’t the case?

Master
    I've just renewed our EHIC cards - easy these days to do it on-line

If you are stopped in France usually the plod seems to want to see "originals" of your documents - i.e. your V5 - some may just carry a photocopy, (I always did)
    Last edited by BillN; 9th July 2020 at 20:13.

I wouldn’t recommend nd more than 10-12h drive. It’s simply not worth it, after 8 hours you are already tired, energy drinks and coffee will make you stop every 15 minutes to piss.

Highways will not be a problem, download any normal navigation app with lane guidance and you be OK. AFAIK waze does not offer lane guidance, better use sygic. Problem for you will be smaller roads - overtaking with RHD vehicle in Europe is bit problematic if you are driving alone.

Don’t know about jackets, breathalysers and whatnot, never had one in my car and never been stopped and asked for one.

It crossed my mind but I imagined (without any real knowledge) that it would be far more complex / expensive than just taking my own? Happy to hear any advice if this isn’t the case?
    Personally I wouldn't. Always feel more comfortable in a familiar car even though driving on wrong side. Hire cars there's the expense (and potential of being ripped off) in any incident - I've got an older car though, might be different otherwise.

Not sure of the practicalities of border crossings either especially if you might be leaving EU.

^ yes sorry when I said driving for 16 hours I didn’t mean a solid block of driving - I meant the first days driving would be over 16 hours but probably with at least four hour long breaks.

So 12 hours driving with four 1-hour breaks = a break every three hours? I still wouldn't risk this. I would find a hotel or campsite to stay in half way.

It's not just yourself you put at risk by trying to stay awake at the wheel for that long.

And unless you have full euro breakdown cover, I would prefer a spare wheel.

Master
    I think my perception of how far I can drive in one go might not be realistic! I very rarely drive for more than an hour at a time, and even that’s unusual.

The journey is, according to waze, about 20 hours... so maybe I should aim for 10 hours per day.

As it’s a journey of necessity, it’s not about enjoying the drive and taking in the views with lots of stops - it’s about just getting there *but* I am sensible and do want to do it safely (hence this post!).

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Now. Where the heck do I buy a whole spare wheel from??!

A correct size spare should be easy to find. Doesn’t need to be a full blown alloy replacement, just the right size steel wheel and relevant tyre to match the others.

Remember to pack a decent size strong bin bag (or better) just in case. A punctured, wet, dirty wheel and tyre does not mix well with nice dry suitcases etc. in the boot.

As for driving time, if in doubt, factor in a nice overnight stop somewhere. I fondly recall more of my overnight stops than I do some of my final destinations...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Your local scrapper/car parts will have a wheel.

Have I missed it, where actually is it you're going?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Is it not possible to take a flight to the country and hire a car once there.

I once drove to Romania from the UK but would never do it again, I found the further east you drove the more challenging the roads became and the standard of driving was shocking with things like HGV lorries over taking on blind spots while also being over taken often with oncoming vehicles approaching all on A sized roads!

Not sure where you are going but I also had to purchase some kind of tax (matrica maybe) for using the motorway in Hungary, they were only cheap and you purchased then in a service station but are a legal required.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 9th July 2020 at 21:32.

I imagine there are some forum members that have experience of driving wherever the OP is going, wherever that is?

Blog Entries

It’s still too much driving in that time. Half as much with a 2 hour break. Leave earlier or arrive later. Tiredness kills.

Master
    What’s the plan for Europen Breakdown cover, have you considered a policy or does it come bundled with your insurance or the cars warranty?

If not what’s the plan if things go wrong?

What crossing are you planning?

Ive driven from London to Zell am See in Austria via the Harwich - Hook of Holland ferry, traveling overnight and sharing the driving the next morning with the wife 4 times, each time it’s been a challenge. On my own I’ve run out of puff at Munich and had to over night.

On a first attempt I think 16 hours is very (very) optimistic even between 2-3 drivers on there first continental road trip.

Craftsman
    I've done a fair few trips into France/Germany/Belgium, including some long slogs (Stuttgart to Peterborough being the longest leg, that about crippled me). Some top tips (most of which already mentioned)

1) Breakdown cover, it's been covered but seriously, not something you want to be worried about in the event of needing it, it'll likely be expensive but worth it for peace of mind!
    2) Insurance, make sure you're covered in Europe. Unsure if you need a green card at the moment so might be worth checking.
    3) Oil/Coolant/Washer fluids - I normally take a litre of each, just in case.
    4) Check the condition of your spare, and if you have room take a proper trolley jack.
    5) Spare bulbs (requirement in some countries but worth taking regardless)
    6) To expand on the above, you'll need the high viz jackets, triangle, breathalizers, headlight adjusters, first aid kits and garlic cloves etc etc that are compulsory to carry in come countries.. Make sure you have enough high viz for the amount of people travelling.
    7) Monzo card or similar for tolls, much easier than change (this has already been mentioned but it's really much better than fannying about with real money)
    8) Be aware of speed limits in various contries - honestly, some of them are not well signed at all (especially in NSL areas) so I'd make a crib sheet, especially as you'll be passing through multiple countries. I've had a few tickets follow me home...
    9) Maps! Take proper maps 'just in case'
    10) The M20 is a horrible road after being on the lovely, fast, smooth French roads. It will take forever.
    11) GB Stickers... Although not needed if you have a numberplate that complies with EU standards, I like to plaster my car in them just to ram home the point I'm an idiot abroad. Kinda like L plates!
    12) Headlamp beam adjusters - depending on your car you may have a setting for driving in Europe, worth having a google.

As for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, I personally found it very easy to adjust UNTIL you get complacent/distracted and it's a queit road... Some swerving has happened. Slip roads to dual carriageways/motorways are slightly more challenging than usual, and oblique junctions are horrible. Good to have a co-driver who is paying attention...

Just go, man. Check that your car is pukka (you should already know it is - if you do not, then don’t drive, you are not up to it) then crack on and get there.

I drove 3 weeks around France for shits and giggles, no probs and no plans.

Unless you are of ill health or some specific consideration, just plot your route now, make some printouts of that route (or buy maps that cover it all) and get on with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I don't know your final destination but I have driven extensively in Europe for work and holidays, I once did lake garda to le havre in one stint,took about 12 hours and was quite hard going but I did have the wife and 2 young kids in the car
    I think with 2 competent drivers and a half decent car it should be no problem as long as you follow all the advice given previously.... just be aware the tolls can be phenomenal and much more than you think!! Le havre to Lake garda and back again was about €350 approximately 7 years ago im sure it will be more expensive now.
    Good luck i know its not a holiday road trip but if you can enjoy it then it will be a much better experience.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As said get European breakdown, take money passport and go! Hi vis, warning triangle and first aid kit Just one thing to think about is that on the Autobahn always keep an eye behind you, even at stupid speed it’s common to be passed as if your stopped. If your not used to driving distance do 8 to 10 hours a day and stop.

France used to be a pain on Sunday to get fuel.

You don’t say where but One of our guys does Darlington to Bulgaria regularly he does that in 28 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    I've done a fair few trips into France/Germany/Belgium, including some long slogs (Stuttgart to Peterborough being the longest leg, that about crippled me). Some top tips (most of which already mentioned)

8) Be aware of speed limits in various contries - honestly, some of them are not well signed at all (especially in NSL areas) so I'd make a crib sheet, especially as you'll be passing through multiple countries. I've had a few tickets follow me home...
    9) Maps! Take proper maps 'just in case'
    10) The M20 is a horrible road after being on the lovely, fast, smooth French roads. It will take forever.

As for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, I personally found it very easy to adjust UNTIL you get complacent/distracted and it's a queit road... Some swerving has happened. Slip roads to dual carriageways/motorways are slightly more challenging than usual, and oblique junctions are horrible. Good to have a co-driver who is paying attention...

8) A sat nav that displays the speed limit is invaluable, and a valuable backup for:

9) Maps. They still work even when your sat nav stops working. I know this from experience.

10) I agree with everything you say about the M20.

Regarding driving on the wrong side, I've only ever had problems after getting back; usually involving roundabouts.

The only thing I'd add is, don't underestimate how long it will take you to get out of the port and on the road in France. From north Essex, I don't think it's ever taken me much less than 5 hours, and it won't be much different from London.

It’s good to have the card mentioned previously. Even better to remember that cash is still king in many places.

Has anybody mentioned the essentials: a packet of Werthers Originals in the glovebox and a tartan travel blanket?

Everyone's physiology and tollerance is different but if you need to get from A to B as quick as possible take a spare driver
    someone may be needing to get from A to B also and can share the driving if thats possible to arrange in the short time available

otherwise if you're on you're own - then a break every two hours is recommended. then stretch it to every three or four hours if you feel comfortable doing so but make the breaks longer too
    if you do this.

Fishermen's friends and werthers original or pear drops and plenty fluids and you're sorted. (being a bloke wee stops are breeze in continental europe)

Book more than one hotel with free cancellations incase you change route/mind or have to change route due to corona lockdowns etc..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Make sure you have Waze on your phone and charging lead

Check spare tyre is legal and consider buying another spare.

Also driving 16 hours in 24 is verging on negligent ..... reckon on stopping every 2 to 3 hours for a proper leg stretch and snooze. At least at this time of year there is a lot of daylight.

Waze is sparsely used on the mainland (don't know why, I like it). Up-to-date sat nav will do the trick. For smaller, local routes in Eastern Europe, I would recommend Google Maps on your phone as a back-up. You can download maps from Google Maps on your phone, that way you do not need a signal from 'outside'.

Make sure that you carry face masks and gloves. Rules on that may vary around Europe and wearing them inside service stations is perhaps a good idea.

Not all countries have a proper network of service station like you find in the UK. E.g. Belgium: hardly any petrol pumps, restaurants etc along the main routes! Sometimes 100 km apart. Be sure that you've enough fuel to cross the country. On the other side of that spectrum: France. They have a wonderful network of service stations with lots of space for maintaining the mandatory social distance. I'm not aware of the service station situation beyond Austria (All countries apart from the two I mentioned have a reasonable network of service stations).

Avoid driving at night. Your car's headlights are pointed into the wrong direction. You can buy stickers (on the boat to Europe) to adjust the lights, but it also will minimalise the amount of light you have in front of you. It's summer, long days, so that makes things easier.

When inside the EU, you'll notice next to nothing when it comes to border patrol. That can change when certain countries step up their Covid rules. E.g.: a few weeks back, the Dutch government eased the rules of entrance, but made an exception (not easing) for Sweden and UK. Check that in advance, per country.

Master
    Thank you all for the responses - I am so grateful!

Regarding the ferry crossing - is Dover/Calais the only one? Should I consider any other routes around that general area? ie google maps shows Folkstone is nearby.

Also, any advice for the ferry crossing - is it very slick? How long before the ferry time should we arrive at Dover?

How long will it take to get out of Calais onto the road?

What's the procedure etc?

Many thanks.

EDIT - I just remembered, we have the channel tunnel too??
    Last edited by ach5; 10th July 2020 at 10:05.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Is it not possible to take a flight to the country and hire a car once there
    Surely this

Do we still not know where the OP is going?
    Surely "special ops" has a tactical division for such clandestine work?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Do we still not know where the OP is going?
    Sorry! It's not a secret, and I thought I'd already said - it's Poland!

The route seems to be;

UK
    France (for a tiny tiny bit)
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Germany (for a long way)
    Poland

Thank you all for the responses - I am so grateful!

Regarding the ferry crossing - is Dover/Calais the only one? Should I consider any other routes around that general area? ie google maps shows Folkstone is nearby.

Also, any advice for the ferry crossing - is it very slick? How long before the ferry time should we arrive at Dover?

How long will it take to get out of Calais onto the road?

What's the procedure etc?

Many thanks.

EDIT - I just remembered, we have the channel tunnel too??
    Channel tumble via the M20, direct exit before Folkestone (coast bound). Arriving in Coquelles, you're out on the motorway.
    Ferry, you can arrive with M2 or M20, depending on where you're coming from, to Dover harbour. Arriving in Calais, again direct access to the Motorway.

Whoever you book with (book as early as possible) will tell you when to arrive for your departure. allow plenty of time.

We still don't know where you're going to but you mentioned Germany: it will be cheaper to go to Belgium first, as going through France towards, say, Strasbourg, will mean tolls.

You need to have a REALLY serious reason to drive there instead of flying and renting a car locally. The roads I am used to driving on in Bulgaria would destroy my car in no time. If the country you're going to uses the Cyrillic alphabet, you will not be able to read road signs.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Sorry! It's not a secret, and I thought I'd already said - it's Poland!

The route seems to be;

UK
    France (for a tiny tiny bit)
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Germany (for a long way)
    Poland
    Many thanks, non of those countries should pose any problems, the roads in Poland are far better than when we first drove there in 2004, but as others have said - it's safer to take a little longer and arrive in one piece.

Just seen where you were going, I obviously took too long writing my previous post.

Master
    Is there any great advantage to tunnel vs ferry?

Is one much cheaper, quicker etc?

With the tunnel, do you literally drive through or does your car go into a train which then takes you through (ie still lots of waiting and faffing like with ferry)?

Is there any great advantage to tunnel vs ferry?

Is one much cheaper, quicker etc?

With the tunnel, do you literally drive through or does your car go into a train which then takes you through (ie still lots of waiting and faffing like with ferry)?
    Tunnel much quicker (35 minutes crossing); prices depend on how full, thus my advice to book as early as you can.
    Among ferries, DFDS is cheaper than P&O and arrives in Dunkerque, closer to the Belgium border; however it also takes longer as it sails towards Calais first, then sails along the coast to Dunkerque.
    Sometimes ferries are cheaper, sometimes not.
    P&O to Calais is good if you're leaving really early as you can get a nice breakfast in the restaurant (not the fast foods).
    Tunnel: you drive your car onto a shuttle, and remain inside the car during the crossing except for nature's calls.

Master
    With the tunnel you arrive, say 60 min before your departure time, check in, use the facilities etc. You get a departure hangar with a letter for your windscreen. You're then 'called' and clear passports and customs (inc French) then join a queue of cars that goes down a ramp and you drive onto the train/waggon. It's really straight forward and much less hassle than the ferry. Once inside the train you can get out and move around your car and there is an (invariably broken) toilet per 2 or 3 wagons. At the other side you drive off, up the ramp and almost straight onto the motorway. It's simple and the 'crossing' takes 30 min or so.

Since using the tunnel I've never taken a ferry. I think the only advantage of the ferry would be the proper rest you get, the sea air and the view of Blighty when you come back.
    Last edited by ism123; 10th July 2020 at 10:54.