closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Switching off

Switching off

Nipper (13) has had his head in a laptop home schooling for four months so this week, the first of his summer holidays, I swore we'd go and do stuff outside so I took holiday too. We spent three days wild camping in a friend's spinney with the dog, including going out at night after rabbits with a night-scoped .22, and today he caught his first ever fish on the fly, a 2lb rainbow we're having for dinner. I've not looked at a work email in four days. I'm not sure which of us is having the better time but God it's good for the soul.
    There's no further point to this post by the way. Just sayin'.

Sounds fan-bloody-tastic...

I've a cottage booked for the last week of the month in the middle of nowhere for the wife, dogs and me.
    Little mobile signal and no WiFi, can't wait....

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Sounds fan-bloody-tastic...

I've a cottage booked for the last week of the month in the middle of nowhere for the wife, dogs and me.
    Little mobile signal and no WiFi, can't wait....

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Perfect. We're off to Northumbria tomorrow. Plan is to eat fish and chips and stare in to the middle distance. Also, in my case, smoke rollies. It's very much the perfect holiday.

Me and the little one are off glamping on Saturday for a couple of nights, nothing fancy but the Pods are superb with all modern comforts and a nice secure, quiet friendly site, plus Thirsk is just down the road where they do an amazing fish n chips, even the weather is supposed to be decent this weekend as well...

Its good that it feels like a little bit of normality is returning after the last few months, I know its anything but normal but I'll take anything at the moment and so will the little one...

Perfect - I hope you both have a grand time. You're right about normality - it's not "normal" but it feels like the direction of travel is right.

We used to have a dog called Nipper.

When I was a kid I near on lived outdoors with my mates. These days the kids are much more unhealthy and unfit.

Get him out as much as possible and teach him not to be scared of a bit of rain. Kids these days are turning into bedroom dwellers on their phone or laptop non stop

Excellent
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Sounds brilliant and yes you’re right, a little bit of normality will restore and recharge. Bet the young ‘un was chuffed to bits with his trout.

Thanks for sharing buddy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Nipper (13) has had his head in a laptop home schooling for four months so this week, the first of his summer holidays, I swore we'd go and do stuff outside so I took holiday too. We spent three days wild camping in a friend's spinney with the dog, including going out at night after rabbits with a night-scoped .22, and today he caught his first ever fish on the fly, a 2lb rainbow we're having for dinner. I've not looked at a work email in four days. I'm not sure which of us is having the better time but God it's good for the soul.
    How life used to be and when children and parents bonded and grew to respect each other. Well done you. Great read.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    We used to have a dog called Nipper.
    So did we, still much missed -
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I wish more people would be like this. Life isn’t just on a screen.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I look forward to the weekends where I can just leave my mobile in the house and go do things outside. We have a style that needs rebuilding in a field and I'm looking forward to taking the kit down and spending the morning doing it. I'll probably see if the family want to come and picnic down by where I have to build it.

Same for some fencing that needs doing. Just leave the phone in the house and go do some manual work.

A few years back my dad and I jumped in the car/on the bike, drove down to devon and went cod fishing. We kept what we caught and brought them back to make fish and chips for dinner. Was a great day and feel like we need to do it again!

Well done! Kids need this nowadays. Too many are molly coddled in cotton wool and on screens instead of being outdoors and learning some life skills.
    Lucky to have a dad like you, good stuff!

Master
    I had 4 nights at my caravan in the middle of now where with no signal earlier in the week and a digital detox felt good. I think we can all benefit at the money from a bit of time away from the connected world although it’s not possible for everyone.

So many cheerful comments on this thread of folk just decoupling from the world for a short time. Ace.