closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ming H41 Diver - mini review

  1. #1

    Ming H41 Diver - mini review

    I've had my Ming H41 diver for a month or so now, so thought it was time for a quick review! This was a bit of a controversial release - trying to reinvent your own way of doing a classic design was always going to cause some uproar! Onto the watch!

    First up, the case itself is superb - lovely polishing and finishing on the titanium and the lines flow beautifully. 40mm is a sweet spot in this sort of design as well. Quite simply the best case I own. Yes 1000m and thus a thicker case may be unnecessary, but being thinner wouldn't allow Ming to showcase the case work.

    The bezel - people complained about it being smooth/unpractical. Completely unfounded - the oversized and slightly grippy nature of the DLC makes this very easy and satisfying to turn. Not tried with rubber gloves, but no issues with wet hands.

    The dial and lume - all Ming dials play with light and this is no exception. This 'new generation' design (along with the 2701) I believe harmonises and shows the Ming design the best. It will stand the test of time. No complaints with the lume either - the dial really light like a torch and lasts all night. The bezel lume is also surprisingly good - weaker than the dial, but much better than most out there.

    A play on inversion -


    A crappy lume shot -




    The bracelet - as a diver, yes the bracelet is inadequate. I haven't put this on a NATO; I initially put it on one of Jean Rosseau's rubber straps being put off by the lack of fitted end links, but decided to give the bracelet a go. With proper wear I am a convert - the bracelet balances the watch very well and I am indifferent over the end links. It does lessen the visual size of the watch. On the bracelet we need to think of this as a luxury sports watch - now we have something compelling as a daily wearer.






    This year we had two watches released that sat in between the 17 series and 19 series. Are they worth the step up in price from the 1706? I've always said you get what you pay for - paying more gets you a far better Ming watch. These two definitely sit below the 1901 - but that is due to components than cheapening of quality (box sapphire, much better movement etc).




    So which one is my favourite? All four are rather different. I think the 1901 still edges it, its audacity and design is still unmatches and on the bracelet we have the perfect combo. The 2701 probably embodies what Ming as a brand stand for best but most will see the 17 as their way into the brand. But the diver is the watch I will be wearing every day.

    The other new release this year -




    I'm excited about what Ming release next year - lots of stuff by the looks of their end of year note - https://ming.watch/blogs/journal/looking-to-2021 . it seems the IG hype has gotten a bit mad, and it's difficult for a young brand to anticipate and plan how much to produce. Hopefully the demand in 2020 means the brand has enough resources to make enough next year!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    2,936
    I love this watch, thanks for the review. I was quote excited when I saw your thread because for a split second I thought you may have been listing it on SC

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Dover; about 4 hours west of the ferries
    Posts
    3,163
    I quite like the diver.............does that make me a minger

  4. #4
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,251
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I quite like the diver.............does that make me a minger
    Get it bought so you can be minging with the rest of them

    Not a brand I'm a particular fan of but enjoyed reading that short but well put together review. Good work OP and fair play to going for something a bit different.

  5. #5
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    12,104
    Good write up and nice pics. Always nice to hear a bit more about a brand that you are not over familiar with

  6. #6
    Great review and comments. Thank you.

  7. #7
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,463
    I love reviews like this, itís nice to read about something new. Whilst the watches and design are not for me I can see why you are enamoured with them and I would like to see one in the metal.
    Thanks for taking the time to jot down your thoughts.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I love this watch, thanks for the review. I was quote excited when I saw your thread because for a split second I thought you may have been listing it on SC
    Haha, nope! There are a few on chrono24, but at 5-6k the value proposition is a bit different to the 3k or so I paid all in. I think the watch itself is probably worth it, but I'd want something other than a 2824 (what I have no idea).


    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Good write up and nice pics. Always nice to hear a bit more about a brand that you are not over familiar with
    Well I said we needed some more content, so thought I'd get my finger out!

    Thanks to the rest for the comments - my own watch journey meant I was fortunate in acquiring the mainstream pieces that I really wanted (in summary a rolex, a couple of panerai, an IWC and a GO). After that I realised I was done with the big brands - I don't need any more mass produced watches. Ming watches are not for everyone design wise - and that really is the point. I want something a bit more niche but really well made.

    My collection is already pretty full and I doubt I sell any of my core 'mainstream' collection (I'm not a huge flipper by nature), but if I do buy anything from now on, smaller, independent watches only. It really is worth most folks on here going through the discovery of smaller brands and trying a few - something for everyone at all price points. (I know some will bring up retention values etc - but we need to get over that).

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N.ireland
    Posts
    4,069
    Great review and further comments,has prompted me to take a closer look at Ming.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    12,104
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    My collection is already pretty full and I doubt I sell any of my core 'mainstream' collection (I'm not a huge flipper by nature), but if I do buy anything from now on, smaller, independent watches only. It really is worth most folks on here going through the discovery of smaller brands and trying a few - something for everyone at all price points. (I know some will bring up retention values etc - but we need to get over that).
    I get that totally. I did a bit of consolidation and cashed in a few watches to get the Daytona, but that will probably be it on the bigger and more expensive brands. I have recently tried a couple of Undone limited editions, obviously at a much lower price point than Ming, but they are great watches for the money. I was also looking for a meteorite dial watch and again looking not to spend a fortune and found a cracking Zelos watch on Chrono24 which is currently on its way from Hong Kong, so looking forward to that arriving in the new year.

    Nothing else on the horizon at present, but as we have said before, a little more contentment wouldn't go a miss.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I get that totally. I did a bit of consolidation and cashed in a few watches to get the Daytona, but that will probably be it on the bigger and more expensive brands. I have recently tried a couple of Undone limited editions, obviously at a much lower price point than Ming, but they are great watches for the money. I was also looking for a meteorite dial watch and again looking not to spend a fortune and found a cracking Zelos watch on Chrono24 which is currently on its way from Hong Kong, so looking forward to that arriving in the new year.

    Nothing else on the horizon at present, but as we have said before, a little more contentment wouldn't go a miss.
    Yea, once you're at a good place with your 'mainstream' collection, you can have some fun! Undone are a very good example of being able to explore smaller/independent brands at all price points. Zelos quality is great, never owned one but only heard good things. Look forward to seeing that!

    But yes, we all need to be a bit more content and not seeing red with lust for the 'next thing'.

  12. #12
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Haha, nope! There are a few on chrono24, but at 5-6k the value proposition is a bit different to the 3k or so I paid all in. I think the watch itself is probably worth it, but I'd want something other than a 2824 (what I have no idea).
    I have been keeping one eye on C24 and at near retail I could be tempted, but at 5-6k I wil have to pass. Maybe they will soften in time when Ming releases other similar watches, I will jst have to bide time.

  13. #13
    Nice, my favorite from Ming so far

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,786
    Nice review, but I am wary of the enthusiasm for this brand. Expensive and , I assume, questions over servicing...does it have to go off to Malaysia? That would be daft. And when I read interviews with the founder, to cynical me it reeks of public relations with all sorts of claims about his range of abilities.
    So, not for me, but there are clearly braver buyers out there.
    Will it be around in a few years? It’s a tough world out there with ferocious competition. I don’t wish Ming harm, but it has to be a struggle.To attract me , it would need a firm base in the UK to keep it going over the years.
    After all, several thousand pounds is a lot of money.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th December 2020 at 10:38.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Nice review, but I am wary of the enthusiasm for this brand. Expensive and , I assume, questions over servicing...does it have to go off to Malaysia? That would be daft. And when I read interviews with the founder, to cynical me it reeks of public relations with all sorts of claims about his range of abilities.
    So, not for me, but there are clearly braver buyers out there.
    Will it be around in a few years? Itís a tough world out there with ferocious competition. I donít wish Ming harm, but it has to be a struggle.To attract me , it would need a firm base in the UK to keep it going over the years.
    After all, several thousand pounds is a lot of money.

    But this is inherent with any Independent/micro brand - if for instance I bought a Grubel Forsey and the company went bust, who would service it? In the case of Ming, all their watches are ETA apart from the 19 series, so any independent watchmaker could service. If the brand went bust and/or you really want to send it back to manufacturer, well Schwartz Ettiene will likely be servicing it anyway (so no need to send it back to Malaysia). Incidentally SE have also made plans for a contingency supply of parts of their existing movements so if they go bust, a watchmaker can get parts to service the 19 series movements (for instance). So I see this as not really an issue.

    Your comment on base I do not agree with - we live in a truly digital/global world, having a firm base in the UK seems a bit of an odd requirement. They'll survive if they continue to make products that get good feedback and reviews and also people feel the value proposition is worth it.

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    481
    Great review and that's a lovely collection... so hard to find these! the 2701 is definitely my favourite out of the 4:)

  17. #17
    Outstanding review wear it in very best of health and that Lume is amazing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information