closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: modern life 2020 onwards

Master
    Blog Entries

modern life 2020 onwards

everything is changing or so it seems.

when I phoned my credit card this morning,the waiting messages mentions a backlog of claims for goods and services not arriving so thats on the increase,they even mention a 3 mounth payment holiday if you are short.

Direct line have sent me an email to claim for lower car mileage.

plus help in other ways.

We've been offering refunds to our car insurance customers who temporarily used their car less during lockdown. People are starting to drive more again now, but if you haven't applied yet and you think your annual mileage dropped by more than 1,000 miles because of lockdown, you can apply for a refund online.

Taking the pressure off your finances
    If you're finding it difficult to make your monthly payments, let us know. We may be able to review your levels of cover or change your payment dates. We could also offer you the option of a payment deferral, which allows you a break from your monthly payments for a short time.

Once the payments restart, the amount you haven't paid will be spread across the remaining months. We won't charge any additional interest.

Any other interesting changes you have seen?

The changes I've particularly noticed are:
    so many people in my village being home during the day
    the increase in hearing birdsong
    the reduction in car traffic
    lack of contrails in the sky
    increase in horse droppings on the roads

(None of which may be interesting changes to others though!)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Living near Manchester Airport, for several weeks there were virtually no aircraft bar a few military flights that you never previously saw. Starting to gradually increase this week.

Exactly that! The Air is empty! We live near(ish) Gatwick, and the lack of air traffic is amazing! Clear blue empty sky’s. I wonder how long for? I can’t say I fancy sitting on a flight with or without wearing a mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've been going to work as usual through all this but what has changed for me is the kids and the wife being at home all the time. Its normally just me and the dog at home through the week when I'm on my rest days but now I have a house full. Wife has set up her office in the kitchen and I'm home schooling😁 Apart from that it's life as usual for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Living near Manchester Airport, for several weeks there were virtually no aircraft bar a few military flights that you never previously saw. Starting to gradually increase this week.

We had one of these over Farnborough recently (not usual) and someone later told me that they are being used to keep air traffic controllers across the country up to speed due to the low volume of air traffic currently.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Things are starting to get back to normal where I am but minus most of the tourists.

My insurance company offered me nothing, neither did the insurance companies of many of my family.

The Gov kept sending me council tax bills in full with zero discount, I expected nothing less from them to be honest.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    We had one of these over Farnborough recently (not usual) and someone later told me that they are being used to keep air traffic controllers across the country up to speed due to the low volume of air traffic currently.

M

Just out of interest , who was this ‘someone’? I’d say bloke in a pub but that’s probably unlikely at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

They were doing touch and go at Manchester, this Globemaster did three in a row, we also had a two Apache helicopters flying over.

Blog Entries
    I sold a car and bought an electric bike. Saves me a big chunk of money every month - and cycling is good for my health.

Other changes? I try to buy 'local' as much as I can. Especially the smaller shops: grocery, bakery etc. Restaurants have re-opened but we guessed that going out for a dinner with my old-age in-laws would be too risky, so we ordered a 'catering' from a well-known restaurant a few blocks from us. It was marvelous: courses, wine etc. That way we can try to support our local local businesses as well.

Airplanes: we're 75 miles (in a straight line) from Schiphol and sometimes the really big planes going and coming from the East are passing over our town. It's an exception to hear those planes. That's an advantage of living a stone's throw away from one of the Dutch Royal Palaces.

On the roads? Well business as usual when it comes to lorries heading from and to Eastern Europe. North-south is a lot less intense! The main difference is the absence of (obvious) rep mobiles: the Audis, BMWs and Teslas. You still see them, but the number is down.

Another difference: I've been learning people how to sail since the 80s. Always working for the same sailing school. After a devastating pre-season (no income at all), the number of people wanting to learn to sail has never been higher! The number of bookings for this summer alone is 30% higher than the total amount of the (whole) previous season! That causes a problem: we cannot have more than two clients + one instructor in the boat, for CV-19 reasons... So we need more instructors and we need more boats! That's the biggest problem at the moment.

We'll be wearing these...

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I'm sure Omega will be along with a Covid-19 Moonwatch special edition some time soon.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Just out of interest , who was this ‘someone’? I’d say bloke in a pub but that’s probably unlikely at the moment
    Probably someone sat on the side of the canal drinking meths.....twaddle!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I'm sure Omega will be along with a Covid-19 Moonwatch special edition some time soon.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    I suspect that Bremont will probably beat them with a special surgical mask edition and some lint from a mask in every one
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I suspect that Bremont will probably beat them with a special surgical mask edition and some lint from a mask in every one
    or a lock of Boris hair,we joke but I wouldn't put it past them finding something tenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Badges, medals and commemorative watches for everyone!
    Probably lots of other creative ways that this pandemic will embed itself into popular culture. The memes have been good yet painful so far.

Other than that on a personal level I'm expecting a bit less travel, less public transport, less eating out, more takeaways, more local holidays and more domestic savings as long as I can keep my job. My main worry is my parents' physical and mental health as long as there is the risk of a second wave

Living in a village, I have see the ebb and flow of the Pandemic. At the start of the pandemic, you could wander the village and see nobody. My wife and I will run a 5 or 10km around the village and during lock-down, you could do the whole route and never stop at a single road because of the lack of traffic. However now, traffic is returning to normal and it's more like pre-C-19.

The other thing I have got used to is permentalty working at home - I've always had a home office and used it one or two days a week - I'll be here until at least sept - so that had to be reconfigured for two people to use - so I built two new desktops and upgraded the internet to 1,000/100 and that means we are pretty comfortable, we are lucky that in the evening we shut the door on the office.

I did not get involved in any of the payment holiday stuff because I did not need any of that and also as I thought, people who took them are already reporting issues with getting credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    One of them has been flying out of Prestwick for weeks (months?).
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Years actually. No one is quite sure what its transporting , everything from nukes to seal teams has been mentioned ...also the one at Prestwick is usually USAF and is a C5 super galaxy not an RAF C17 Globemaster.

Pretty sure.

Also I seem to recall that the Super Galaxies in and out of Prestwick are based out of Texas which I think is the 433rd Airlift wing which is a reserve unit that primarily performs peace time global transport roles and also training so I think its highly likely that the flights in and out of Prestwick are primarily training flights as its a good safe route that allows transatlantic experience . And Prestwick has two very long perpendicular runways which means it can handle any aircraft currently flying and regardless of wind conditions one runway is always able to be open.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 9th July 2020 at 17:21.

I'm fairly sure that it's an RAF jobbie that's been overhead during the pandemic. I can see & hear it for several hours a day when it's flying its circuits. They do seem to stop for lunch, though!
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I'm fairly sure that it's an RAF jobbie that's been overhead during the pandemic. I can see & hear it for several hours a day when it's flying its circuits. They do seem to stop for lunch, though!
    They don’t need to stop for lunch. In flight rations and galley are perfectly reasonable. They probably drop back to Brize to change crews....there is only so much boring holes in the sky that you can stand...

Why would it go back to Brize when it's flying circuits from Prestwick?
    ______

​Jim.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Why would it go back to Brize when it's flying circuits from Prestwick?
    ‘Cause that’s the home base and where the crews are. Prestwick direct (or pretty direct) back to Brize doesn’t take long.

Journeyman
    I live close to Cardiff airport and pretty sure a similar RAF type plane was doing the same thing. Back and forth for a few days/ week, maybe a few weeks ago.

Journeyman
    From memory (RAF Groundcrew, albeit 20 yrs ago) Prestwick has one of the largest runaways in the country, is some kind of dedicated place of safety and is close by when crossing the atlantic. From Lossimouth, we often had to make our way down to Prestwick to be put on something large (ish) Tristar etc to ship us across the atlantic for detachments.

Master
    50 minutes flying time from Prestwick to Brize. Could drop by at Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, or East Midlands on the way there or back. All good for training approaches (as is Cardiff)... Keeps the noise away from the locals around Brize area....and good training for crews too.

Master

modern life 2020 onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    From memory (RAF Groundcrew, albeit 20 yrs ago) Prestwick has one of the largest runaways in the country, is some kind of dedicated place of safety and is close by when crossing the atlantic. From Lossimouth, we often had to make our way down to Prestwick to be put on something large (ish) Tristar etc to ship us across the atlantic for detachments.
    Long (ish) runway, and low charges for approaches/landing/parking etc. Also a Royal Navy base (HMS Gannet in days of old).

I suspect the reason you were bussed from Lossie for a TriStar flight was also crash cat limitations (number and type of fire appliances) and pavement strength of the taxiways based. TriStar had very few wheels for such a heavy aircraft...thus was like a lady in stilettos.

Last edited by Pete D; 9th July 2020 at 20:17.

There is a canal at the end of our street (Edinburgh to Glasgow Union canal) that has forever been black/at best brown. It has been clearing over recent months to the point that today I could clearly see golf balls at the bottom. A happy bi-product of lockdown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    There is a canal at the end of our street (Edinburgh to Glasgow Union canal) that has forever been black/at best brown. It has been clearing over recent months to the point that today I could clearly see golf balls at the bottom. A happy bi-product of lockdown.
    Makes you wonder who has been dumping nasties into it before....

As long as it's one of "ours", you're probably ok.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.