closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 6 months free...

6 months free...

from smoking. Just realised Monday marked 6 months since I last had a cigarette (or any other nicotine). A tough first few weeks but I feel so much better for it both physically and mentally. This was my third attempt to quit.

It’s amazing how liberating it feels not to be thinking about when the next break is, or will I run out. Never mind the better breathing and fitness. I smoked for almost 3 decades so it was a massive change.

I don’t think about them anymore and appear to be totally over it even after a pint or 2. Thought I’d share, as I know how daunting giving up can feel before you do it. It’s worth persevering.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good on you mate, I gave up many many years ago when I left the mob, strangely the only thing I missed for a while was the first fag of the day and the taste of zippo fluid through it!!!

Well done you that’s a great achievement now the next 6 months!!!

That is a great achievement, well done indeed! It's been quite a few years for me now after a couple of decades smoking, couldn't imagine doing it ever again, luckily.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 8th July 2020 at 09:02.

Craftsman
    Massive congrats - keep with it, it's a tough thing to do but for your health and family it's well worth it.

Well done indeed its a great achievement, keep up the good work.

Well done!

Almost two years for myself - honestly the thought after one or two just makes me sick. I also have totally gone off the smell, which used to have an inviting comfort to it. Just cannot stand it now!

Blog Entries
    Well done keep it up. It’s worth it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Well done.

I tried to get my Dad to give up many times and although he tried several times he just enjoyed it too much, we've lost him now due to health problems linked with smoking, he always denied his health was anything to do with the "fags" but 50 years of smoking takes its toll, he had heart, kidney, lung and other issues and it was terrible to see him go though all the hospital visits and doctors appointments.

But I must say he really enjoyed those roll ups and you could see it on his face, he had 50 years of a good thing in his eyes I suppose..

Well done again and find the strength to say no when someone offers you a cheeky cig..

Craftsman
    Gave up a 40 a day B&H habit over 16 years ago.
    Now far richer in health and pocket
    Never knew how good a potato tastes until I quit the fags!

Thanks guys, I’m already at the hating the smell phase! I really can’t see myself ever smoking again, I promised my sons and I won’t let them down. It also helps that none of my close friends smoke anymore either.

Well done Matt! keep it up along with some exercise and you'll feel even better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Thanks guys, I’m already at the hating the smell phase! I really can’t see myself ever smoking again, I promised my sons and I won’t let them down. It also helps that none of my close friends smoke anymore either.

get a copy of "the easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr... It will stop you from ever having the thought of smoking again.. I stopped 15 years ago after numerous failed attempts. Approaching 40, I read 'the easy way' and have never had the longing for a fag again... I tried to help my older brother, bought him the book and cd but sadly he has never tried to quit and is the worst smoker I know. Every year he has a chest infection and ends up on steroids..

Allen Carr died from lung cancer in the end - but he was a massive chain smoker before he finally managed to quit.. Think he was on 80 a day! not many people have the lungs or the wallets for that amount of smoking..

I forgot to say - well done ! it is a great thing to be free of the evil nic'o teen.. I think it is the worst drug going..
    Last edited by bry nylon; 8th July 2020 at 14:23.

Craftsman
    All you need to do now is never buy a pack

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Good for you, and for doing it the hard way.

I've been off the fags for a month (after 40+ years), but I am vaping so I've not yet given up the evil nicotine. But my breathing and smokers cough have vastly improved over the past month. The wife gave up a week ago, and we haven't killed each other...............yet !

Well done to everyone who’s quit. I smoked for 22 years and quit cold turkey, 16 years ago. One of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I still get the occasional urge to have a cigarette.. most odd. But I think of the thousands I’ve saved over the years and the urge soon passes!

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good on you mate, not easy to do. My advice is don’t let your guard down and don’t ever assume smoking isn’t your emotional crutch. I gave up for 6 years and started again during a time of huge Personal stress coupled With work pressures.
    I’m now going through a divorce and can’t imagine kicking the habit until I’m out the other side. I fully intend quitting then for health and financial reasons but right now I’m a smoker and that’s just how it is sadly.
    Stay strong and remember your kids need you fit and healthy for many years to come.

Well done, you definitely feel better for it.
    I gave up 6 years ago and I've been addicted to nicotene lozenges ever since.

Congratulations! Best thing I ever did was giving up smoking. I've given up counting but it must have been at least 18 years by now. All the best!

Craftsman
    Just to say well done....

Keep up with it, don't go back....

I gave up over 20 years ago... I was getting bad chest infections, coughs etc etc. I was on 40+ a day roll ups with gauloises tobacco for 15yrs... Took me nearly a full year to stop completely... now I really dislike the smell of anyone smoking near me.... I even cross the road to avoid trailing in it if someone is in front of me smoking..

I feel really good now... I would never ever go back to smoking....

Best Regards

V

Good going

I haven't had a ciggie now for about three months. I wasn't a heavy smoker anyway but it was more habitual association – one on the way to work, one at lunchtime, one mid-afternoon, one on the way home, and a fair few more if I was out drinking.

With lockdown and working from home I've had no triggers so haven't felt the need. I do have a vape to keep me sane but 10ml lasts me weeks.

Annoyingly, I have a near-full 50g pouch of American Spirit, bought just before we left work. I should chuck it but I'd rather give it to someone in need when I get the chance.

Thanks again all. I didn’t go totally cold turkey BTW, I took Champix for 6 weeks (started 2 weeks before quitting).

Well done to all the other quitters too, hope you used the cash saved for a decent watch purchase

Well done to all the other quitters too, hope you used the cash saved for a decent watch purchase
    It's no exageration to say that my stopping smoking fundamentally changed my life because it gave me the self belief and confidence to follow my dreams. Hope I don't spound like too much of a w@**** but it's absolutely true.

Not at all! It does make you realise what you can achieve if you put your mind to it, I’ve not done anything that’s required such will power.

Well done OP and all the others that have quit. After 27 years of smoking up to 40 a day I gave up. It wasn't the asthma or the cost. It wasn't nursing my terminally ill father until the end from his cigarette related lung cancer. It was the customs seizing 1,000 cigs I was importing from Spain, trying to avoid the duties. That court summons was all that I need to stop; cold turkey.

I have now given up for 19 years. My advice? Don't even try one. I failed so many times, but I feel so much better for giving up now. The only drawback is if someone smokes near me, I have a coughing fit leading to an asthma attack. Ironic really.

Well done again. Remind us when you get to a year. I hope that you are putting the cash saved in a jar every day. That certainly helped me.

I bought a vape on a whim a few yrs ago while buying 10 cigarettes - I still have the cigarettes and they remain unopened - the funny thing is I’ve never taken vape with nicotine so really it was cold turkey but with zero cravings. Best thing I ever did.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Annoyingly, I have a near-full 50g pouch of American Spirit.
    I've got 42 pouches of baccy to get rid off after I am certain we've both given up Which are the remains of my annual road trip to Belgium to stock up. My mate who accompanies me on the road trip has already "reserved" them.

well done OP, keep it up.

I'm a smoker, im 48, there's no future in it. I stopped for 5 years and then started again thinking ah, 1 wont hurt.

Mentally i've not been in the right frame of mind to stop in the last 2 years, i know full well i have to and sooner rather than later. Your post and subsequent member comments have re-ignited the thought process and motivation. Do you know what, I'm doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post

I'm a smoker, im 48, there's no future in it. I stopped for 5 years and then started again thinking ah, 1 wont hurt.

Mentally i've not been in the right frame of mind to stop in the last 2 years, i know full well i have to and sooner rather than later. Your post and subsequent member comments have re-ignited the thought process and motivation. Do you know what, I'm doing it!!!
    Good on you. I had many failed attempts before finally killing it. What helped me to quit and stay quit was a change of lifestyle. I started exercising and eating right and that seemed to help in the moments of weakness. I'm not suggesting you should make massive changes to every aspect of your life straight away but replacing the smoking routine with an exercise routine will certainly help. I was living in a little village outside of Doncaster at the time called Misson. Lots of deserted country lanes and fields to run down. I remember getting as far out of the village as I could then screaming my lungs out as I ran. Sounds bonkers but it really helped and took the edge off the cravings. Anyway, good luck!
    Last edited by beechcustom; 9th July 2020 at 08:39.

I was quite young when I quit (like a fellow poster, the Allan Carr book did the trick)- mid twenties- but I was already a heavy smoker having had my first cigarette at 12. I am convinced I'd be a 100 a day type smoker right now if I hadn't stopped when I did. I'd smoke up to 30 a day if I was down the pub.

After I'd quit I bought my first proper watch- an Omega smpc- on a whim, justifying the purchase on the fact that I'd saved a small fortune by not smoking. I'm now addicted to watches but, hey, I don't know anyone who died from watches!

I am very aware that one cigarette would send me all of the way back to where I was, so if I'm ever tempted I figure out how much I've saved since I quit - puts me right off!

Good luck! As someone said above, substituting exercise has worked for me. I would also consider Champix as it made the first few weeks bearable (and the weird dreams were a bonus!). I got it online from co-op pharmacy, but worth speaking to your GP first.

Good luck! As someone said above, substituting exercise has worked for me. .
    and this bit is key i think, idle hands and all that. But as pathetic as it sounds its quite daunting. Im not over weight but i am not fit at all and i hate running, i find it hard to stick at it because i don't enjoy it, same with treadmills, was thinking about a PT to keep me motivated, but current lockdown makes that far harder, i like competitive sport, like squash, badminton etc

Maybe i don't like running because im not fit and maybe it will become easier, hence more enjoyable, don't know

but would welcome tho Op's view and others on how to overcome that because its a real mental blocker for me and i dont want to pile on weight

See if you can find Couch to 5k on the interwebs. Alternatively walking is good for you. A double win, quitting and getting fitter. Good for the mental health too.

Master
    and this bit is key i think, idle hands and all that. But as pathetic as it sounds its quite daunting. Im not over weight but i am not fit at all and i hate running, i find it hard to stick at it because i don't enjoy it, same with treadmills, was thinking about a PT to keep me motivated, but current lockdown makes that far harder, i like competitive sport, like squash, badminton etc

Maybe i don't like running because im not fit and maybe it will become easier, hence more enjoyable, don't know

but would welcome tho Op's view and others on how to overcome that because its a real mental blocker for me and i dont want to pile on weight
    Get a push bike. You don't need to be a lycra road warrior just buy a cheap bike that works and get out on the quiet roads and tracks whenever you can. I'd recommend a mountain bike simply so you can get away from the cars if the opportunity presents itself. Use GPS tracking to record your mileage and you'll soon find yourself thinking "I did 6 miles last night, lets try to do 8 tonight". Above all cycling is fun, as another member said to me recently, its like being a kid again.

For me what worked was a PT. I started with 2 hours a week in Jan in the gym, which is now 2 hours via video due to lockdown. I don’t really enjoy running etc either, but this works as every session is different and she gives me stuff to do in between. 5 days a week with a mix of weights, running, rowing and cycling keeps it interesting. It was really hard but has got much better!

I’ve gained a stone since quitting but it’s muscle and I have the same waist size still. My worry too was weight, well fat, gain so happy with that after 6 months. One watch out is I found myself drinking more booze, not sure why.

I guess the answer is to find something you can tolerate to start with, the enjoyment comes as you get fitter and stronger.

Master
    We smoked for 20+ years, in 95' she asked for new car so I said yes, but, well 25 years on we're still off the weed, healthier and wealthier for it, if you can do 6 months you can beat it altogether, just think of the cash saved as a new watch. Congrats BTW.

Last Friday marked a year without smoking. My only moment of weakness was nearly saying yes when offered a cigarette when the pubs were open, I managed to resist though. Still feeling so much better for it too.

I hope it is still going well for the all the other quitters, and good luck to anyone who has decided to stop this year

Blog Entries

Start walking. Start with 15 mins/day leading up to 1 hour/day. Try to walk different routes. There are websites about training for long-distance trails like the Camino. You don’t have to train for that, but it gives you an idea how you can build stamina.

I was a 20 a day man and stopped overnight and strangely I had no cravings at all. I see some comments about idle hands and I think that’s right - I built Lego technic and it filled the nights and just worked like a mofo during the day. Well done and keep it up !!

Well done on keeping at it. It is the best thing I ever did, but it took 27 to get there!

Well done OP, and strength to those wanting to follow in his footsteps.
    I stopped as a result of TFB's post on here about E-cigs (something I will be eternally grateful to him for).
    I found E-cigs were the perfect way to occupy idle hands, and it didn't take me long to work down the nico scale on the liquids, til it became a a fidget exercise only, and therefore easier to stop.
    Been clear a few years now, and no longer miss it at all.
    It does get easier, by miles.
    D

Excellent!

The old man has been off the fags for over 40 years now.

Keep it up, there’s no benefit to going back to them.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Nice to see some positive news! Well done to all fellow quitters.

I gave up at New Year ages ago. Tough for a few weeks but it can be done - and I’m not the person with the greatest will power.

Everyone is different but I think the difficulty can be overstated and puts some people off trying.

Whenever I hear the price of cigarettes when someone’s buying in a shop, it makes my eyes water! So many people spending big money they can ill afford.

Craftsman
    Congras OP and to all the other quitters. Very positive news.

Well done to everyone who has quit, fantastic news.
    This thread made me stop and think when I gave up, turns out it was 15 years ago.
    I don't think it matters how people give up, whether they just stop or use patches or gum or tablets.

This is definitely one of those times where the journey is irrelevant it is the destination that matters!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Excellent thread this and shows what can be done when we put our mind to it.

Food was my Achilles heel, in a routine of weekend takeaways and restaurant meals with work. Lost 14kg since last spring and feel better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Well done to everyone who has quit, fantastic news.
    This thread made me stop and think when I gave up, turns out it was 15 years ago.
    I don't think it matters how people give up, whether they just stop or use patches or gum or tablets.

This is definitely one of those times where the journey is irrelevant it is the destination that matters!
    I would suggest that people get all the help that they can. There's certainly no shame in it. Data that I have seen showed nicotine replacement therapy led to much higher successful quit rates than cold turkey.

I am of the age that my (female) peers who are smokers really stand out due to what smoking does to your skin. They look much older than their years, especially if they were sun worshippers too. It really saddens me when I see a young woman smoking. Society in general, and men in particular worry less about what older men look like, in case you wonder why I am not mentioning them!

Totally agree that people should find whatever works for them. A friend gave up and used Tik-Tacs as an aid. He put on a load of weight but that’s far better for you than smoking. He’s since lost it though exercise too.

I really like that now weeks can go by without it crossing my mind, and even when it does it’s just a passing thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post

I am of the age that my (female) peers who are smokers really stand out due to what smoking does to your skin. They look much older than their years, especially if they were sun worshippers too. It really saddens me when I see a young woman smoking. Society in general, and men in particular worry less about what older men look like, in case you wonder why I am not mentioning them!
    There is a great story (I have no idea of it's veracity) that was doing the rounds shortly after the workplace smoking bans came in to place and people had to go outside for a smoke.
    A president of a major Japanese company flew in to London.
    He was met at the airport and chauffered to the firms London head office.
    Once he was there the normal courtesies were extended, he was asked about his health and did he have a good flight etc.
    He thanked them for arranging the car but said he had one question.

"Why do you allow all those prostitutes to congregate outside the building?"

They were a bit perplexed and sent a junior executive off to investigate.

He came back and said that they were all female employees having a smoke break!

Apparantly the only women you would see smoking on the street in Japan would not be office workers!