closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seiko. What are they not doing right?

Apprentice
    I think you could accept a lot of the quality flaws of Seiko if the price point was right, it's the combination of high (and constantly higher) prices and subpar quality. For example the Prospex line is basically in Omega territory right now and definitely not in the same ballpark quality wise. Often fantastic dials and case work but bad bezel feel, low quality bracelet and high tolerances on movement. Saddens me since I love Seiko and GS.

Quote Originally Posted by nicbex View Post
    I think you could accept a lot of the quality flaws of Seiko if the price point was right, it's the combination of high (and constantly higher) prices and subpar quality. For example the Prospex line is basically in Omega territory right now and definitely not in the same ballpark quality wise. Often fantastic dials and case work but bad bezel feel, low quality bracelet and high tolerances on movement. Saddens me since I love Seiko and GS.
    This is a Prospex at approximately the same price as a Planet Ocean and it is immeasurably a better watch. Depends on what level Prospex we are talking.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This is a Prospex at approximately the same price as a Planet Ocean and it is immeasurably a better watch. Depends on what level Prospex we are talking.
    Sorry but no. Unless they've completely changed the indexes since the first remake of 62MAS those indexes are not pleasant to watch in closeup and well, the bracelet to the same watch is classic Seiko standard. Unregulated GS-movement means you have to be lucky to get good accuracy as well.

Sorry but no. Unless they've completely changed the indexes since the first remake of 62MAS those indexes are not pleasant to watch in closeup and well, the bracelet to the same watch is classic Seiko standard. Unregulated GS-movement means you have to be lucky to get good accuracy as well.
    Correct they have completely changed most of it so it isn't even comparable to the SLA017. I own this and the Planet Ocean so I feel qualified to compare

Apprentice
    Correct they have completely changed most of it so it isn't even comparable to the SLA017. I own this and the Planet Ocean so I feel qualified to compare
    Even if the quality of the dial has increased, my other points are 100 % still there. I love my SBGJ203 but Seiko has lost it on pricing.

Even if the quality of the dial has increased, my other points are 100 % still there. I love my SBGJ203 but Seiko has lost it on pricing.
    Not really as there is no bracelet but instead an extremely high quality strap with very well finished hardware. Yes pricing is bonkers but it is the same price as a Sub or Planet Ocean and from a quality perspective is at least the equal of those 2 pieces. 'Value retention' be damned of course. This is in no way comparable to £1k Prospex let's put it that way and also there is a significant quality delta between this and a MM300.

Out of interest "immeasurably better" how Ryan? Can you elaborate?

TBH that case looks pretty basic.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The movement is a Hi-Beat 8L55. An awesome movement in a stunning watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Out of interest "immeasurably better" how Ryan? Can you elaborate?

TBH that case looks pretty basic.

Sure. I have the latest version Planet Ocean 3 hander so I am comparing vs that.

Seiko Case is basic yes but it is a homage to the 62mas heritage diver so it uses that shape. But the brushed finish contrasting with the zaratsu hand-polished sides demonstrates a higher complexity of artisanship vs the nicely brushed Omega. The Omega has nicely designed lugs so it makes the watch sit nicely on the wrist and not wear too big. The dial work of the Seiko is milesmilesilesmilesmiles better. It is done by Grand Seiko and so has superbly polished hands and indices, precisely cut and polished date window, beautiful sunburst dial. It is a Grand Seiko that says Seiko. The Omega is nice but the Seiko is art. No point anyone saying 'but I had a SLA017 and it had rough edges' as this is a complete step up from the SLA017. They look the same from afar but in the hand the difference is stark

Bezel wise the Seiko bezel is like a safe dial. Smooth as butter. The Omega bezel is nice too but the Seiko just feels more precise. Omega is ceramic but of course the Seiko is paying homage to a 60s iconic diver and ceramic would be inappropriate. No bracelet on the Seiko but the rubber strap is absolutely marvellous. The only one better I have had was on a JLC Polaris.

Overall the Seiko just feels more of an artisanal piece. It is basically a Grand Seiko with a brief to recreate a classic Seiko Diver but to higher build tolerances. BTW the Planet Ocean is a lovely watch and I rate it nicer than a Rolex Sub so I want to be clear that the Omega also is superb. The Seiko just feels more special. A bit like if someone has a Datejust and then one day gets their first Hi Beat or Spring Drive Grand Seiko then the feeling that creates. Just feels like more effort has been put in to making it. That being said I have heard of a couple of QC issues and even a misaligned bezel (FFS Seiko a misaligned bezel on a near £6k watch should be a shooting offence) so buy in the store to make sure it doesn't happen to yours (to be fair you get misaligned Rolex bezels too).
    Last edited by ryanb741; 25th July 2020 at 15:14.

Sure. I have the latest version Planet Ocean 3 hander so I am comparing vs that.

Seiko Case is basic yes but it is a homage to the 62mas heritage diver so it uses that shape. But the brushed finish contrasting with the zaratsu hand-polished sides demonstrates a higher complexity of artisanship vs the nicely brushed Omega. The Omega has nicely designed lugs so it makes the watch sit nicely on the wrist and not wear too big. The dial work of the Seiko is milesmilesilesmilesmiles better. It is done by Grand Seiko and so has superbly polished hands and indices, precisely cut and polished date window, beautiful sunburst dial. It is a Grand Seiko that says Seiko. The Omega is nice but the Seiko is art. No point anyone saying 'but I had a SLA017 and it had rough edges' as this is a complete step up from the SLA017. They look the same from afar but in the hand the difference is stark

Bezel wise the Seiko bezel is like a safe dial. Smooth as butter. The Omega bezel is nice too but the Seiko just feels more precise. Omega is ceramic but of course the Seiko is paying homage to a 60s iconic diver and ceramic would be inappropriate. No bracelet on the Seiko but the rubber strap is absolutely marvellous. The only one better I have had was on a JLC Polaris.

Overall the Seiko just feels more of an artisanal piece. It is basically a Grand Seiko with a brief to recreate a classic Seiko Diver but to higher build tolerances. BTW the Planet Ocean is a lovely watch and I rate it nicer than a Rolex Sub so I want to be clear that the Omega also is superb. The Seiko just feels more special. A bit like if someone has a Datejust and then one day gets their first Hi Beat or Spring Drive Grand Seiko then the feeling that creates. Just feels like more effort has been put in to making it.
    Every time i see you talk about grand seiko i always feel very happy i got one as my only luxury / expensive watch.

Master
    I think it will be interesting to see which of the 2 recreations of the 62MAS will stand the test of time better.
    SLA017 or SLA037
    The SLA037 with the higher spec or the more faithful recreation the SLA017
    Love both but wouldnt pay the price of the SLA037.

Apprentice

Overall the Seiko just feels more of an artisanal piece. It is basically a Grand Seiko with a brief to recreate a classic Seiko Diver but to higher build tolerances. BTW the Planet Ocean is a lovely watch and I rate it nicer than a Rolex Sub so I want to be clear that the Omega also is superb. The Seiko just feels more special. A bit like if someone has a Datejust and then one day gets their first Hi Beat or Spring Drive Grand Seiko then the feeling that creates. Just feels like more effort has been put in to making it. That being said I have heard of a couple of QC issues and even a misaligned bezel (FFS Seiko a misaligned bezel on a near £6k watch should be a shooting offence) so buy in the store to make sure it doesn't happen to yours (to be fair you get misaligned Rolex bezels too).
    Just to be clear, this is not a Grand Seiko. It might be made in the same factory but it's not a Grand Seiko and it has an undecorated unregulated GS-movement, which they would never place in a GS. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice watch and the look I believe is stunning, but 6k is bonkers. A bit weird to compare a watch with albeit nice but simple rubber strap to an Omega with a high quality bracelet with micro adjustment, imo. I think this is a watch to enjoy for what it is and try to ignore the comparison with other watches of the same price class.

Just to be clear, this is not a Grand Seiko. It might be made in the same factory but it's not a Grand Seiko and it has an undecorated unregulated GS-movement, which they would never place in a GS. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice watch and the look I believe is stunning, but 6k is bonkers. A bit weird to compare a watch with albeit nice but simple rubber strap to an Omega with a high quality bracelet with micro adjustment, imo. I think this is a watch to enjoy for what it is and try to ignore the comparison with other watches of the same price class.
    You could compare it to the Planet Ocean on rubber strap of course. In any case Seiko's Achilles heel is their bracelets so I'd rather it on rubber anyway.

Oh give it a rest. The two of you don't even really disagree, it just reads like an "I'm more clued up than you" contest.

Thanks for that, nice to get a first hand account.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The only Seiko I would pay 6k and even more (and I will once I figure out where the price settles) is the new GS Diver with the hi beat movement.
    I would not pay a four figure sum for an SLA017 or 37.
    OTOH, SBDC 51 is a far better value proposition and love it.
    I would pick a Sub over PO over SLA37.
    No claims about Sub being a better watch as all these are subjective and even if one claims every day that Seiko is a better watch, it doesn’t make it so. All three are very nice, well made watches. Any claims of superiority are just a personal preference and nothing more.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 26th July 2020 at 16:22.

Master
    Putting prospex on every jeffing dial!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Putting prospex on every jeffing dial!
    Well the Prospex ones anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Well the Prospex ones anyway.
    That's every watch.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    That's every watch.
    Nope, just the non-base dive and sports watches.